Amazon fire stick/tv connection

3fingersreid

3fingersreid

Right folks , this technophobe needs help . 

I’ve managed to set one of these up on both my daughters tv’s one is a Samsung the other is a LG , both LED tv’s and was a doddle . 

Now for the problem ,our Samsung plasma tv ( 9 years old perfect working condition) and currently runs with our virgin tv box , but for some reason I can’t get it to connect . I’ve tried all the hdmi ports but none work , can anyone give me advice please ? 

1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

Right folks , this technophobe needs help . 

I’ve managed to set one of these up on both my daughters tv’s one is a Samsung the other is a LG , both LED tv’s and was a doddle . 

Now for the problem ,our Samsung plasma tv ( 9 years old perfect working condition) and currently runs with our virgin tv box , but for some reason I can’t get it to connect . I’ve tried all the hdmi ports but none work , can anyone give me advice please ? 

Possibly not enough power supplied to the hdmi port to cope with the HD?

Try it on a newer tv and if it works reduce resolution to 720p and see if that allows it to work on the older tv. 

3fingersreid

The two other tv’s are certainly newer and works fine on them , I’ll give your suggestion a go , cheers 👍🏻

Carl Fredrickson

Not a techy person but have you rebooted your router? Sometimes firesticks cant find the internet but will do after a router restart. 

redtipsjambo

Are you using the mains power supply cable for the fire stick on your old telly, 

I’ve got to use it on my old panasonic plasma to get it to work.

3fingersreid
28 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Are you using the supplied power lead or trying to power it through the TV?

Yeah , although I also tried an I -phone charger too

26 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Not a techy person but have you rebooted your router? Sometimes firesticks cant find the internet but will do after a router restart. 

The fire stick has connected no probs to the other two TV’s 

The weird thing is the plasma tv I’m having an issue with , it can’t take a virgin V6 box but works fine on a TiVo box 

Plasma must be costing you a small fortune in lekky. Theyre like an extra radiator!

If you can afford it, it maybe time to get a new telly mate. 

Edited by Pans Jambo

3fingersreid
2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Plasma must be costing you a small fortune in lekky. Theyre like an extra radiator!

If you can afford it, it maybe time to get a new telly mate. 

That last line , have you been speaking to my wife ? That’s all she’s gone on about since the fire stick issue occurred 😂

saves money on the heating tho 😉

Ill be trying the suggestions that you good folks have said to try ,later today 👍🏻

Just to confirm you have the fire stick plugged into the hdmi on TV and the mains power supply at the wall?

Perhaps if you are using an extension lead there isn't enough power in it left over from other devices?

jack D and coke

I take it the HDMI sockets work with anything else plugged into them? A sky box or game console or something like that? They do actually work?

Sorry just seen you say Virgin box in OP. That is plugged into an HDMI yeah?

Edited by jack D and coke

3fingersreid
15 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I take it the HDMI sockets work with anything else plugged into them? A sky box or game console or something like that? They do actually work?

Sorry just seen you say Virgin box in OP. That is plugged into an HDMI yeah?

Yeah 👍🏻

33 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Just to confirm you have the fire stick plugged into the hdmi on TV and the mains power supply at the wall?

Perhaps if you are using an extension lead there isn't enough power in it left over from other devices?

No it was on an extension cable , I’ll try the mains first 👍🏻

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Yeah 👍🏻

No it was on an extension cable , I’ll try the mains first 👍🏻

The stick definitely works does it?

Edited by jack D and coke

3fingersreid
5 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

The stick definitely works does it?

Aye got it set up no bother on two other , albeit newer tv’s 

was actually quite proud of myself doing it 😂😂😂😂😂

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, 3fingersreid said:

Aye got it set up no bother on two other , albeit newer tv’s 

was actually quite proud of myself doing it 😂😂😂😂😂

Just checking mate not saying you’re a dafty or anything :lol: rule out the most obvious things first. 

I set up and sell a few of these things loaded and you wouldn’t believe how stupid some people are. Telling me nothing is working then I ask them to check simple things like changing the batteries in the remote :facepalm: 

Seems a strange one you can’t get it working tho🤔

3fingersreid

So far tried 

plugged into mains socket 

input defo on hdmi setting 

rebooted the router 

only thing I can’t do is reduce the resolution to 720p mainly cause I can’t bloody work out how to , no longer got the instruction manual 🤬

works perfectly on the other two wee tv’s 

3fingersreid

HDMI 1 is for the TiVo box and works fine  , no3 is showing up on the list as you can see  but when selected it just goes blank . I’m guessing the hdmi port in the tv doesn’t have the power that’s required ? 

Ive even tried using the stick on port no1 but it’s just the same ☹️

61C977D2-5103-41CE-80E9-B987FA630A5F.jpeg

redtipsjambo

Fingers 

if you have the cable going from the stick to mains power then you should have plenty juice ( is it defo the correct cable for firestick to mains ) you mentioned an iphone charger cable, presume not lightning cable cos that is not the plug type for firestick at least not mine anyway

when you say the screen is going blank, do you mean that when you press av button on remote to get to all inputs ie  hdmi 1 and 2 etc or av1 and 2 etc that when you scroll down to the hdmi port, that your firestick is  plugged into , that the screen goes blank or the port is not highlighted so you cannot ok it with remote

on my telly i scroll down to correct port, ok it with telly remote, my screen goes blank then I press big round button on firestick remote that is when i get the menus for firestick on tv screen 

Sorry for longwinded reply just trying to work out what you are doing with menus and remotes etc

cheers

10 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Quite a loose concept of how electricity works there Hughesie. 

3fingersreid
2 hours ago, redtipsjambo said:

Fingers 

if you have the cable going from the stick to mains power then you should have plenty juice ( is it defo the correct cable for firestick to mains ) you mentioned an iphone charger cable, presume not lightning cable cos that is not the plug type for firestick at least not mine anyway

when you say the screen is going blank, do you mean that when you press av button on remote to get to all inputs ie  hdmi 1 and 2 etc or av1 and 2 etc that when you scroll down to the hdmi port, that your firestick is  plugged into , that the screen goes blank or the port is not highlighted so you cannot ok it with remote

on my telly i scroll down to correct port, ok it with telly remote, my screen goes blank then I press big round button on firestick remote that is when i get the menus for firestick on tv screen 

Sorry for longwinded reply just trying to work out what you are doing with menus and remotes etc

cheers

Just using the cable that came with the fire stick , it’s been in an extension plug and the mains socket . I’ve tried it in all 3 inputs , I get the same thing as I’ve posted in the picture above . It says there’s a fire stick in the input but when I press enter/select the screen goes blank . I know the fire stick works as it’s fine on the other two tv’s . 

I really appreciate all the help and advice I’ve received tho 👍🏻

redtipsjambo

When the screen goes blank, have you tried pressing the home button or the return button on fire stick remote a few times  to see if anything happens, you probably have, but  just asking.

is it an old fire stick/ old telly

have you got loads of apps on fire stick? may be on telly that works you could reset  it to factory settings to delete everything then try it again on the tv

Can't think of anything else

Cheers

3fingersreid
26 minutes ago, redtipsjambo said:

When the screen goes blank, have you tried pressing the home button or the return button on fire stick remote a few times  to see if anything happens, you probably have, but  just asking.

is it an old fire stick/ old telly

have you got loads of apps on fire stick? may be on telly that works you could reset  it to factory settings to delete everything then try it again on the tv

Can't think of anything else

Cheers

New fire stick , 10 year old telly which I don’t think is too old , but maybe technology has passed this Samsung by ☹️

luckyBatistuta
8 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

HDMI 1 is for the TiVo box and works fine  , no3 is showing up on the list as you can see  but when selected it just goes blank . I’m guessing the hdmi port in the tv doesn’t have the power that’s required ? 

Ive even tried using the stick on port no1 but it’s just the same ☹️

61C977D2-5103-41CE-80E9-B987FA630A5F.jpeg

On two of my tv’s downstairs, if I turn off the tv and then go back to watch something later on the AFTV box, I just get a blank screen too. The only thing that can get the picture to come back on, is if I unplug the hdmi cable and plug back in again, or power down the box and on again. It’s weird because all the other AFTV’s around the house work fine without this problem, does my head in. 

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

Quite a loose concept of how electricity works there Hughesie. 

My PS4 never worked when using an extension cable. Only mains.

Are you saying that shouldn't happen?

7 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

My PS4 never worked when using an extension cable. Only mains.

Are you saying that shouldn't happen?

If everything on the extension cable needed more power than it could supply. The current should have been too high and fuses/ circuit breakers should have blown

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

If everything on the extension cable needed more power than it could supply. The current should have been too high and fuses/ circuit breakers should have blown

That makes sense. Doesn't explain my PS4 only working via direct mains power though. The exentsion lead definitely worked as I had to unplug my phone charger (which worked) from the lead in order to plug the Playstation in!

Edited by hughesie27

redtipsjambo

Seems to be lots of issues with samsung and firestick when you google it

Switching off anynet plus in the system settings on tv has helped some people ( can see it in your screen shot)

also powering down telly as well for a wee while