Hillwalking trousers

Hairdryer

Do you want hillwalking trousers or waterproof trousers? Most walkers will usually take both unless they’re more or less certain it’s not going to rain.

And are you going to do lots of hillwalking, or is this a one-off? You can pay a lot of money for decent outdoor gear.

27 minutes ago, leginten said:

Do you want hillwalking trousers or waterproof trousers? Most walkers will usually take both unless they’re more or less certain it’s not going to rain.

And are you going to do lots of hillwalking, or is this a one-off? You can pay a lot of money for decent outdoor gear.

Waterproof trousers so if we get rain like last weekend then hopefully keep dry

any recommendations and price very much appreciated 

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Shorts.

Long trousers are for wimps.

Correct.

Hope you get decent weather, Hairdryer. If you have to put waterproof trousers over your walking trousers you will sweat like a *******. 

I had a six-hour hillwalk in Angus today. It was scorching.

10 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Shorts.

One word : Ticks.

One of them feasting on your nads is not pleasant.

The Real Maroonblood
10 hours ago, leginten said:

Hope you get decent weather, Hairdryer. If you have to put waterproof trousers over your walking trousers you will sweat like a *******. 

I had a six-hour hillwalk in Angus today. It was scorching.

That’s good.

If I do a 2 hour walk  around Edinburgh I think that’s great.

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’s good.

It’s all good. Walking in Edinburgh is actually one of my favourite things to do. 

2 hours ago, whodanny said:

Yep Lime disease can have an awful effect on people

2 hours ago, whodanny said:

I read somewhere recently that using some Vix vaporub or similar round your ankles can stop the ticks from wanting to go near you. 

Not sure how true that is, but could be worth a try...

Don't know if it would work against midgies as well. 

I always wear shorts. Cover the pins in smidge jobs a gud in. 

I was in mountain warehouse yesterday in Livingston and prices looked pretty reasonable :2thumbsup:

Edited by Eddie

16 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Shorts.

Absolutely. :thumbsup:

Robbo-Jambo
5 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’s good.

Especially if you pop into a few pubs on your way round. :greggy:

indianajones

Fjallraven Keb for summer walking that isnt too technical (they will still take abuse and last for ages). Nice zipped air vents in them to cool your legs and gonads down when its roasting. 

Fjallraven Vidda Pro for all year round walking/work. These are bomb proof and hands down the best trousers ive worn. Fell into a huge patch of brambles/rose bushes at the weekend and they came out unscathed. I've slid down granite facings in these and they didnt break.  

Go for quality when buying outdoor gear. Its a false economy skimping in my opinion.

Edit: you might be after waterproofs instead... not too sure? Anyway both the above are wax treated and can be further treated when needed. Extremely fast drying as well if they do get soaked. 

Edited by indianajones

8 hours ago, SUTOL said:

I read somewhere recently that using some Vix vaporub or similar round your ankles can stop the ticks from wanting to go near you. 

Not sure how true that is, but could be worth a try...

Don't know if it would work against midgies as well. 

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

We bought a midge and mosquito spray when at the Highland Show.

Works a treat.

You can rub Vic on yer Niagaras and the pain will make you forget about the ticks....

You can buy a product in Boots or Superdrug called ‘Skin so Soft’ made by Avon. Mosquitos absolutely hate it.

indianajones
7 minutes ago, Morgan said:

You can buy a product in Boots or Superdrug called ‘Skin so Soft’ made by Avon. Mosquitos absolutely hate it.

Skin so soft works pretty well but its pretty greasy. 

Smidge works pretty well for me. 

Ticks will find a way regardless of what you are wearing. 

Just now, indianajones said:

Skin so soft works pretty well but its pretty greasy. 

Smidge works pretty well for me. 

Ticks will find a way regardless of what you are wearing. 

It is greasy, aye.

It’s also got a horrible smell. 

I’ve  never heard of Smidge but will look out for it as my wife gets really pestered by mosquitos. Thanks :thumbsup:

indianajones
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

It is greasy, aye.

It’s also got a horrible smell. 

I’ve  never heard of Smidge but will look out for it as my wife gets really pestered by mosquitos. Thanks :thumbsup:

Made in Scotland I believe! 

Good testing grounds anyway.

39 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Made in Scotland I believe! 

Good testing grounds anyway.

We’ll try to get some online, as we are not back in Edinburgh until December.

At the moment we are getting hammered with Tiger mosquitos as it’s so feckin hot!  We’ll try anything!

Thanks again.

3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

We bought a midge and mosquito spray when at the Highland Show.

Works a treat.

You can rub Vic on yer Niagaras and the pain will make you forget about the ticks....

I still use Jungle Formula.

Keeps the mosquitoes off a treat. That and Skin So Soft will keep the midges at bay to a certain extent, but once the wind drops there’s basically nothing that will keep a cloud of West Highland midges off you short of setting yourself on fire. You’re ****ed.

Toxteth O'Grady
1 hour ago, indianajones said:

NFjallraven Keb for summer walking that isnt too technical (they will still take abuse and last for ages). Nice zipped air vents in them to cool your legs and gonads down when its roasting. 

Fall raven Vidda Pro for all year round walking/work. These are bomb proof and hands down the best trousers ive worn. Fell into a huge patch of brambles/rose bushes at the weekend and they came out unscathed. I've slid down granite facings in these and they didnt break.  

Go for quality when buying outdoor gear. Its a false economy skimping in my opinion.

Edit: you might be after waterproofs instead... not too sure? Anyway both the above are wax treated and can be further treated when needed. Extremely fast drying as well if they do get soaked. 

Fall raven Vidda Pro are the best Ive used  for general walking in Scotland for most conditions - they are tough, not too heavy and keep you dry as long as it isn’t a monsoon. 

Carthage Geoff Tramhater

Buy a nice  flowery dress  or you could go nude .

#Tripod 

2 hours ago, leginten said:

I still use Jungle Formula.

Keeps the mosquitoes off a treat. That and Skin So Soft will keep the midges at bay to a certain extent, but once the wind drops there’s basically nothing that will keep a cloud of West Highland midges off you short of setting yourself on fire. You’re ****ed.

😂

7 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Especially if you pop into a few pubs on your way round. :greggy:

Did the Edinburgh 7 hills route on Saturday (running) but stopping for a pint in between each. About 20 of us running and drinking in pairs. Brilliant afternoon. A very good walk as well though!

Robbo-Jambo
7 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Did the Edinburgh 7 hills route on Saturday (running) but stopping for a pint in between each. About 20 of us running and drinking in pairs. Brilliant afternoon. A very good walk as well though!

That's the way to do it. 👍

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Carthage Geoff Tramhater said:

Buy a nice  flowery dress  or you could go nude .

#Tripod 

Ooh, one of those nice floaty summery numbers.

Excellent for a day out in the Pentlands, but I would go for something more substantial on the West Highland Way.

Went mountain biking at the weekend & got the train at Bridge of Orchy to Rannoch. Cycled across the moor to Kingshouse then down the West Highland Way to pick up the car at Bridge of Orchy. Met 2 old boys fi Glagow at the train station who were applying this cream to counteract the midges. He said he bought this stuff in India & it works well against mosquitos so thought it should be good for the Scottish midge too. He the added, “ Keeps the tigers off you as well” 😂

He gave me some for my legs as I was wearing shorts. Was pissing down with rain and by the end of the day my legs looked like an all you can eat buffet for the little barstewards!!!

Edited by Pans Jambo

I tend to find your legs get wet either way. Rain coming in or sweat going out.

With that in mind as long as my feet and upper body are dry I'm happy with just outdoor trousers rather than waterproofs.

7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I tend to find your legs get wet either way. Rain coming in or sweat going out.

With that in mind as long as my feet and upper body are dry I'm happy with just outdoor trousers rather than waterproofs.

I do a reasonable amount of hillwalking. Normally I won’t walk if the forecast is bad. I always have waterproof trousers in my bag, but I could probably count on one hand the number of times I’ve had to wear them in earnest over a period of many years.

Sometimes I get home after a long walk, look at all the stuff I’ve had with me in my rucksack, realise that the only thing I’ve used all day is the water bottle, and think “why the **** did I bother with all that gear?”  But it’s all for the one time things are actually going to go wrong, I suppose.

2 hours ago, leginten said:

I do a reasonable amount of hillwalking. Normally I won’t walk if the forecast is bad. I always have waterproof trousers in my bag, but I could probably count on one hand the number of times I’ve had to wear them in earnest over a period of many years.

Sometimes I get home after a long walk, look at all the stuff I’ve had with me in my rucksack, realise that the only thing I’ve used all day is the water bottle, and think “why the **** did I bother with all that gear?”  But it’s all for the one time things are actually going to go wrong, I suppose.

I'm the same. Spare jumper, compass, water purification (out of date) the lot...and it never comes out.

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

I'm the same. Spare jumper, compass, water purification (out of date) the lot...and it never comes out.

Speaking of water purification, I was so parched on Tuesday this week that I took water out of a river in hour six of my walk. For some reason I had only taken one litre with me, and I ran out. Not a risk I would normally take nowadays unless I was high up and very close to the source, but it was preferable to heat exhaustion.

No ill effects so far, but then I’m not sure how long the old cryptosporidium takes to incubate...

23 minutes ago, leginten said:

Speaking of water purification, I was so parched on Tuesday this week that I took water out of a river in hour six of my walk. For some reason I had only taken one litre with me, and I ran out. Not a risk I would normally take nowadays unless I was high up and very close to the source, but it was preferable to heat exhaustion.

No ill effects so far, but then I’m not sure how long the old cryptosporidium takes to incubate...

😂😂 I carry them but I'm forever dipping the old flask into rivers and not using purifying. To be fair, I do tend to walk high up where it's fast flowing water.

A bit of gut upset is a small price to pay for the delicious thirst quenching haze of slightly murky water

Anyway, back to the OP; get trousers with a rear flap due the aforementioned if you're a similar risk taking rebel hiker

Edited by Taffin

31 minutes ago, Taffin said:

😂😂 I carry them but I'm forever dipping the old flask into rivers and not using purifying. To be fair, I do tend to walk high up where it's fast flowing water.

A bit of gut upset is a small price to pay for the delicious thirst quenching haze of slightly murky water

Anyway, back to the OP; get trousers with a rear flap due the aforementioned if you're a similar risk taking rebel hiker

:oohmatron: