School Holiday Telly.

been here before

been here before

Killing a wee bit of time this morning with the bairns still on school holidays and got to thinking about some of the programmes that used to be on when I was in their shoes...

...there was some shite!! 😅

This lot brought back some memories mind.

For some reason I always associate Why Dont You with that scarily harsh Belfast accent that sounds like its always giving you a row.

Anymore to chuck in?

Салатные палочки

For some reason I remember watching the Family Ness and the O Zone with my big sister but I never really had the attention span for TV when I was a wee laddie.  Once I was in second/third year at school we had Sky so I could watch MTV, VH1 and old re-runs of Byker Grove. 

One thing I used to hate was going back to school after the summer holidays and they were still advertising the kids programmes on TV due to the English kids still having about three weeks holidays left.

Yup, used to hate the fact we had 2-3 weeks of Kilroy and the rest before the cartoons came on just because English schools were still on, then the double whammy when you realised it was still on for a couple of weeks when you went back. 

Independence can't come quick enough, IMO..... 

Edited by Normthebarman

¼½¾

I hated this. 

STV used to be a bit cooler, sometimes, as they showed Joe90.

BBC was a sucker for the mitteleurope kids drama series.  Silas, for example.

I also remember one about two neighbouring towns that went to war.  One was industrial, the other more rustic.  The industrial one wanted to take the rustic town.

Bizarre.

Oh, and sometimes you would get Flash Gordon and a programme on how to play chess.

Also Belle and Sebastian but I can’t find the theme.  

God, these date me.  Most of them in B & W....

25 minutes ago, Boris said:

I also remember one about two neighbouring towns that went to war.  One was industrial, the other more rustic.  The industrial one wanted to take the rustic town.

Bizarre.

Oh, and sometimes you would get Flash Gordon and a programme on how to play chess.

I'd always assumed we were a similar age, but I remember none of these!

1 minute ago, Craig_ said:

I'd always assumed we were a similar age, but I remember none of these!

Late 70's early to mid 80's is my era, so to speak.

May also be mixing up Xmas holidays too!

Roland Rat "It's time for Pac-Man, Yeah"

The littlest Hobo, Boomer, Why don't You? Some cartoon series like Dungeons and Dragons, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Flash Gordon and Rocket Man.

Laurel and Hardy

Harold Lloyd

Oh and Batman.

Edited by ri Alban

Huckleberry Finn

Gentle Ben

Grizzly Adams

Big John, Little John

Railway Children or some pish like that.

Timmy Mallett

Edited by ri Alban

Sawdust Caesar

Abbott & Costello

The Double Deckers

The Singing Ringing Tree (can't remember if that was a weekday afternoon show or a Saturday morning one) bloody scary tho.

Multi-Coloured Swap Shop

4 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

Yup, used to hate the fact we had 2-3 weeks of Kilroy and the rest before the cartoons came on just because English schools were still on, then the double whammy when you realised it was still on for a couple of weeks when you went back. 

:spoton:Even as children we were 2nd class. 

33 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I had a chug once watching Magpie when Susan Stranks was doing something. 

I don't know what came over me.

Ah, but what did you come over ???

34 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I had a chug once watching Magpie when Susan Stranks was doing something. 

I don't know what came over me.

Yourself, presumably.

4 hours ago, Boris said:

Bizarre.

One of the regular guest experts on the chess programme of course turned up years later on Gogglebox

I P Knightley
5 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

:biglaugh: That has to be the most coherent and sensible argument for independence I've seen!!

I seem to remember that there were a load of cowboy movies put on the telly in the morning. Blue Peter, Magpie and Why Don't You... were, as I recall them, standard weekday TV shows throughout term time (perhaps not Why Don't You...?). Daktari, The Monkees and Banana Splits strike me as more of the summer time, daytime telly. Thankfully, I spent a lot of those holidays out arsing about on bikes around the parks and canal towpath.

Mac_fae_Gillie

Harold Lloyd

Champion the Wonder Horse 

Flashing Blade, never did see all way thru as we had holiday at some point

Ollie and Stan

Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon the B/W one

Banana Splits

after movies of Charlie Chan/Elvis and yep that Cliff dude in a bus :(

Never used to understand why a tv programme’s music actually told you to turn off the Tv and do something less boring instead.

Heidi was a regular....'Grandfather'.....oh wheest. I did like the theme tune though.

I seem to recall BBC2 used to often have some bamboozling poorly dubbed Czech rubbish.

¼½¾
9 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Blonde girl in it gave me my first Biffo 😬

:D

Another of the dubbed shite was Pippi Longstocking.  I don't remember this though. :o 

7 hours ago, CalMac said:

I seem to recall BBC2 used to often have some bamboozling poorly dubbed Czech rubbish.

Yes!

11 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Blonde girl in it gave me my first Biffo 😬

That's a horse mate.

crunchy frog

The untied shoelaces show. A shite scottish attempt at swap shop or something. Im sure I saw a very young U2 on that about 80/81

On 29/07/2019 at 11:08, been here before said:

Killing a wee bit of time this morning with the bairns still on school holidays and got to thinking about some of the programmes that used to be on when I was in their shoes...

...there was some shite!! 😅

This lot brought back some memories mind.

For some reason I always associate Why Dont You with that scarily harsh Belfast accent that sounds like its always giving you a row.

Anymore to chuck in?

I remember Why Don't You turning into a progressively stranger TV show over the years with some mad story lines (I presume the influence of Russel T Davies). 

Changed it's theme tune too - this is the one I remember. 

ToadKiller Dog

Never went out to play until I saw the monkees and junior kickstart .Also rember the very ancient flash Gordon's tv series being shown though this was 80s .

Didn't really like why dont you as it seemed full of the types in class who always got gold stars and were picked by the teacher ,never really saw yourself or your mates type on it.

Also Robin of Sherwood tv series had me and my mates running around with home made bow and arrows .

H R Pufnstuf - now that was some scary shit right there.

Pipkins was another from my youth, seem to remember Hartley the Hare saying "piss off" at one point, turns out it was "push off".

The White Cockade
23 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Never went out to play until I saw the monkees and junior kickstart .Also rember the very ancient flash Gordon's tv series being shown though this was 80s .

Didn't really like why dont you as it seemed full of the types in class who always got gold stars and were picked by the teacher ,never really saw yourself or your mates type on it.

Also Robin of Sherwood tv series had me and my mates running around with home made bow and arrows .

Used to see Flash Gordon on Saturday mornings at the Odeon in the 70's