Quick question for the TV techy geeks

Mr Sifter

Tell you what it is, hopefully someone can help.

I've bought a new TV and it’s goin to be fitted into my wall. I’m happy enough with the sound that the TV will provide and I DONT want to have a sound bar...BUT, I’d like a couple of small supplementary speakers positioned behind me (as I face the TV). 

Here’s where I’m unsure of my options though. Ideally, I’d have a couple of speakers attached to the TV through Bluetooth, and those speakers would supplement, rather than replace, the TV speakers. So it’s not a full home cinema style set up where the new speakers take the place of the TV speakers, it’s a set up which will see BOTH the TV speakers and supplementary speakers working at the same time. 

So the question is...can it even be done?

Possibly the soundbar my parents have is blue tooth so I assume if your TV is Bluetooth capable some speakers should work like you want. Maybe Google Bluetooth speakers and your TV make and model 

1 hour ago, Mr Sifter said:

To be honest I am not sure it can be done without a soundbar setup - it does the general decoding from 5.1 then links to each speaker to send them the the rear left/right audio channels.

The TV will take the audio and mix it down across the internal speakers so would need to have options in the setup that allow you to determine what channel goes to each speaker and I don't think that's implemented anywhere. 

Edited by Mysterion

Mate I’d recommend speaking to the guys at richer sounds. Years ago it was loads of coloured cables and changing audio sources, which was a doddle but with Bluetooth might be a trickier set up and they guys at richer definitely know their stuff

5 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Tell you what it is, hopefully someone can help.

I've bought a new TV and it’s goin to be fitted into my wall. I’m happy enough with the sound that the TV will provide and I DONT want to have a sound bar...BUT, I’d like a couple of small supplementary speakers positioned behind me (as I face the TV). 

Here’s where I’m unsure of my options though. Ideally, I’d have a couple of speakers attached to the TV through Bluetooth, and those speakers would supplement, rather than replace, the TV speakers. So it’s not a full home cinema style set up where the new speakers take the place of the TV speakers, it’s a set up which will see BOTH the TV speakers and supplementary speakers working at the same time. 

I'm pretty sure you can connect speakers such as the Sonos One which would probably do what you want.

I'd question the sensibility of it though. Don't misinterpret that as I'm not calling you stupid. 

I'm going on the assumption that the supplementary speakers you want are going to be quite close behind you? I'd expect that they'll be closer to you than the TV and therefore the sound from them will take over that of the TV and in effect drown out the TVs speakers. Either way, whichever speakers are stronger/closer will likely drown the others out. Compared with even half decent speakers your TVs own sound will likely sound naff and you'll want to mute it anyway.

Sounds like you're trying to have a complicated "soundbar" without a soundbar and I'm not sure it'll work very well. 

Cheers for the replies folks. Kinda guessed there wouldn’t be an easy way of being supplementary speakers into play whilst still using the TV speakers, but it’s good to get clarification from you guys.

Cheers again 👍🏼 

23 hours ago, Jambojay84 said:

Mate I’d recommend speaking to the guys at richer sounds. Years ago it was loads of coloured cables and changing audio sources, which was a doddle but with Bluetooth might be a trickier set up and they guys at richer definitely know their stuff

This is a really good bit of advice btw. 

Would always recommend Richer Sounds. One of the best companies around. 

19 hours ago, IronJambo said:

I'm pretty sure you can connect speakers such as the Sonos One which would probably do what you want.

I'd question the sensibility of it though. Don't misinterpret that as I'm not calling you stupid. 

I'm going on the assumption that the supplementary speakers you want are going to be quite close behind you? I'd expect that they'll be closer to you than the TV and therefore the sound from them will take over that of the TV and in effect drown out the TVs speakers. Either way, whichever speakers are stronger/closer will likely drown the others out. Compared with even half decent speakers your TVs own sound will likely sound naff and you'll want to mute it anyway.

Sounds like you're trying to have a complicated "soundbar" without a soundbar and I'm not sure it'll work very well. 

I'd assume you could control the volume independently to avoid them drowning out the tv speakers.

However, it doesn't seem like a sensible idea and I agree the results will be poor.

Either put the speakers front left and right and don't use the tv speakers,  or add a central speaker and two rear ones.

Most TVs only have the option to send sound to internal OR external speakers. Not both unfortunately. 

4 hours ago, trotter said:

Most TVs only have the option to send sound to internal OR external speakers. Not both unfortunately. 

I can use my internal speakers at the same time as my external ones. I don't, because it sounds awful, but I could if I wanted to.

41 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I can use my internal speakers at the same time as my external ones. I don't, because it sounds awful, but I could if I wanted to.

Yep, same.