Disneyland Paris advice or tips?

Norm

We're heading over in October for a few days. Never been before. There'll be myself, the missus and 6 and 8 year old girls. We've got half board plus for food. Flights sorted, probably take the train from CDG airport. 

Wondering if any JKBers have any advice or tips?

Edited by Normthebarman

CavySlaveJambo

I have not been yet. However I have heard that WITHIN the parks, if you have Food Allergies/Coeliac, there is not much choice and what there is is poor quality, however it is better outside the parks. 

Hopefully now the Walt Disney Company fully own DLP that should improve to the same standards as Disneyland and Disney World

Dean Winchester
38 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

I have not been yet. However I have heard that WITHIN the parks, if you have Food Allergies/Coeliac, there is not much choice and what there is is poor quality, however it is better outside the parks. 

Hopefully now the Walt Disney Company fully own DLP that should improve to the same standards as Disneyland and Disney World

Certainly seem to be throwing money at it now. Few rides closing in the next few months as they start prepping their Marvel and Star Wars expansions.

If you're looking to do Character breakfast/dinners then start looking at when you need to book these now. Cafe Mickey's was a nightmare to get a booking for last time we went.

I think you get the Wild West show included with the Plus so be sure to get that booked in advance as well.

We're booked up for December but have been 3 times before.

The Tuesday night is the only time the Wild West Show is on when we're there. Unfortunately, that's our arrival day and we'll have been up from 4am. Not sure us or the kids could handle that by the time it starts.

Anybody looking to do theme parks in Europe...Efteling theme park in the Netherlands is by far the best followed by Portaventura in Salut. 

Not much help to the OP...sorry  

Edited by AlimOzturk

7 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

We're heading over in October for a few days. Never been before. There'll be myself, the missus and 6 and 8 year old girls. We've got half board plus for food. Flights sorted, probably take the train from CDG airport. 

My advice would be, every month from now until October, to start building the excitement until you go. Its a wonderful experience and your girls sound at exactly the right age to enjoy. Make sure you get to park as early as possible... It does make a difference. 

The McDonalds just outside the park sells beer. Also we never discovered until the 2nd day you can take food and drinks into the park which saved us a small fortune.

I found while they do the parades a lot of ride queues become shorter, but also if you're not fussed for seeing the parades try avoid the area cos you'll get pinned in until it's over otherwise

andrewjambo
21 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

Which hotel are you staying at?

12 minutes ago, andrewjambo said:

Which hotel are you staying at?

Sequoia. Cheapest on site hotel I could find with a pool. Not that we plan to use it but wanted a back up option in case the weather is horrendous. 

13 minutes ago, JimKongUno said:

Be prepared for long queues and take plenty cash with you

Queues mainly look like they'll be manageable for the time we're there. There's only a couple of the really busy rides that I can see my kids wanting to go on, and they both have the fast pass option. 

The one that I am dreading is the Meet the Princess thingy. I know the girls would love that but that appears to be the longest queue time, 2 hours or more at points from what I can see and no fast pass option. The advice seems to be go during the last parade as it dies down then. 

Money wise, I'm hoping not to spend too much. Food will be sorted as we've got breakfast and dinner covered and we'll take snacks for lunch. The shops, well, we're normally pretty good at avoiding that sort of stuff. I think we'll probably give the girls €50 each for the 4 days and that's it.

andrewjambo
4 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

Sequoia. Cheapest on site hotel I could find with a pool. Not that we plan to use it but wanted a back up option in case the weather is horrendous. 

Haven't stayed there myself but have been to DLP twice in past two years with my 7yr old.  If you want some snacks for room or cheap lunches there's an esso petrol station 15 mins walk from Sequoia (Beside Santa Fe hotel) - the prices aren't cheap but not as bad as disney.  

If you're thinking about a character meal I'd recommend dinner over breakfast.  We had dinner at Cafe Mickey this year and it was a really good meal plus the characters came to the table very regularly so plenty of autograph and photo opps.

12 hours ago, LeftBack said:

My advice would be, every month from now until October, to start building the excitement until you go. Its a wonderful experience and your girls sound at exactly the right age to enjoy. Make sure you get to park as early as possible... It does make a difference. 

That's what I'm planning. A Disney movie every Saturday night and maybe a wee thing once a week to take with them (autograph book, pen, poncho, maybe a princess dress the week before we go). 

1 minute ago, andrewjambo said:

Haven't stayed there myself but have been to DLP twice in past two years with my 7yr old.  If you want some snacks for room or cheap lunches there's an esso petrol station 15 mins walk from Sequoia (Beside Santa Fe hotel) - the prices aren't cheap but not as bad as disney.  

If you're thinking about a character meal I'd recommend dinner over breakfast.  We had dinner at Cafe Mickey this year and it was a really good meal plus the characters came to the table very regularly so plenty of autograph and photo opps.

Yeah, I'm a sucker for fizzy drinks unfortunately, so I'm hoping I can get to the supermarket nearby and buy a multipack of Coke or something. Regarding charecter dining, I've heard that you pay full price if you book prior. However if you risk it and book when you're there, you only pay a supplement as they'll put one of your meal vouchers towards the cost. 

Edited by Normthebarman

andrewjambo
Just now, Normthebarman said:

That's what I'm planning. A Disney movie every Saturday night and maybe a wee thing once a week to take with them (autograph book, pen, poncho, maybe a princess dress the week before we go). 

The Disney life app which costs £5 per month allows you to watch and download pretty much every classic Disney movie, my daughter likes it.

Bunny Munro

As I'm sure you are aware, Disneyland Paris is made up of two parks. Disneyland Park (DLP) and Walt Disney Studios (WDS).

WDW is by far the smallest park, and by far the worst, but there is a few gems here. The Mickey and the Magician stage show really is outstanding, and is thought of as one of the best Disney park shows going. It also has Toy Story Land, which is made up of well themed carnival rides but is probably the best known franchise in WDS at the moment. The Ratatouille ride is good, but can be busy, and is attached to the Chez Remy restaurant, which is really well themed and I've heard good things about the food. Crushes Coaster is another great ride, a spinning family rollercoaster, but may be too extreme for the kids. (If you've been to Alton Towers, it is similar to Spinball Wizzer - or Dragons Fury at Chessington).

DLP is the main park (the one with the castle). I think you mentioned you are staying in a Disney Hotel? If so make sure to use the Early Ride Time, where certain attractions are open early. Chef Mickey's is a great way too meet characters without having to queue, and you tick of a meal aswell. Be aware Chef Mickey's is a buffet. The characters tend to be Mickey and friends, and a few from Winnie the Pooh (last time I was there we had Mickey, Daisy Duck, Scrooge McDuck, Tigger, Eeyore, Piglet). However i don't think this was the normal line up. 

DLP really is a beautiful park, and one that is best taken at a slower pace than most other theme parks, there is plenty to see and do, there are plenty of places to 'explore' such as the caves near Pirates of the Caribbean, don't feel you are wasting your time not being on a ride or in a queue. It will be a lot of walking so be prepared for this. Don't be afraid to take a break in the middle of the day, that's when the crowds are at their peak anyway. 

Contrary to other advice on here, I'd suggest doing 'long queue' activities during the first parade of the day. And watching the second. Most people will watch the first making the rest of the park quieter, and the viewing areas more crowded. Everyone is different, but as a kid the parades were one of the main highlights for me.

Have a great trip, 

On 28/07/2019 at 19:07, Normthebarman said:

Went last November and thoroughly enjoyed it. We also had half board plus. Breakfast was actually served at a kind of self service restaurant in the park, in between the buzz lightyear and space mountain rides. We stayed at the Newport Bay hotel and each morning about 8am they had a Disney character come to the hotel for photos. (I'm assuming all hotels have that, but not sure). We got down about 15/20 minutes before and were usually first or second in the queue to get some photos with the character for our daughter. This then gave us enough time to get into the park for breakfast. One of us collected the breakfasts while the others got a table. If you're in for about 9-9.30 then the queues aren't too bad.  When you're done get onto space mountain and buzz lightyear rides are queues are generally 5 to 10 minutes at most.

They have other character photo areas around the parks. You can use the lineberty app to book a space in line. You then get a message sent for when it's your time so you will need to be close by, otherwise you can queue but it can take some time. 

With the half board plus you can either get dinner or lunch with it. We did lunch twice once at the diner in the Disney village and once at the Chez restaurant which is in the Studios park and right next to ratatouille (spelling??) ride, which is definitely a must. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Food at both was reasonable. Slightly restricted menu at Chez but enough choice. It's usually very busy but you can book in advance, like months in advance. We mainly stuck to the the hotel buffet at night which has a pretty good selection of food.

We did the photopass which meant all photos on the rides were included as well as the photos with the characters at the hotel and in the park.

You can also fast pass  which is recommended for some of the busier rides. 

Don't know how you're getting to the hotel but if you are flying into paris then I'd recommend getting a private transfer. The company I used was called inter service prestige

https://www.interserviceprestige.com/booking.php

Think it was €120 for the round trip. Pick you up at the airport and drop you off at the front door of your hotel. Collect you in enough time for your flight home. You can get trains but the cost is similar plus you'll have a 20 minute walk from train station to your hotel with your luggage. Plus if you're on an early flight trains might not get you to airport in enough time.

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 18:46, Bauld said:

I love Disney but feck Disney land.

Europa park all day long for me. Best holiday ever.

Silver Star is a cracker.

We went during the German World Cup was great

42 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Silver Star is a cracker.

We went during the German World Cup was great

Brilliant. We waited an extra half hour to get right on the front seats. Which was no hardship because it meant extra time to check out all the amazing cars :D

Do The Dance
On 28/07/2019 at 19:16, Normthebarman said:

Queues mainly look like they'll be manageable for the time we're there. There's only a couple of the really busy rides that I can see my kids wanting to go on, and they both have the fast pass option. 

The one that I am dreading is the Meet the Princess thingy. I know the girls would love that but that appears to be the longest queue time, 2 hours or more at points from what I can see and no fast pass option. The advice seems to be go during the last parade as it dies down then. 

Money wise, I'm hoping not to spend too much. Food will be sorted as we've got breakfast and dinner covered and we'll take snacks for lunch. The shops, well, we're normally pretty good at avoiding that sort of stuff. I think we'll probably give the girls €50 each for the 4 days and that's it.

To avoid the princess queues book up the princess breakfast. 3 or 4 princesses wander round and take photos with the kids and it saves the hassle and time of queuing to meet 1 princess. It costs a bit, but worth it for the above reasons, and the breakfast is actually alright too.

On 28/07/2019 at 19:20, Normthebarman said:

Yeah, I'm a sucker for fizzy drinks unfortunately, so I'm hoping I can get to the supermarket nearby and buy a multipack of Coke or something. Regarding charecter dining, I've heard that you pay full price if you book prior. However if you risk it and book when you're there, you only pay a supplement as they'll put one of your meal vouchers towards the cost. 

Val d europe shopping centre is a 15 min walk away.Massive (huge beer and wine  section)supermarket in there

The food hall in the shopping centre is also good,far better quality than anything in disney,cheaper as well.

The NO.50(free) bus leaves from the very last stance at the  bus station(next to train station/disney village)

Its every 15 mins or so,get off at the hotel  elysee stop and you right at the front door.

Can also go by train,its one stop along the line(get of at chessy),takes about 2 mins,but its about 8 euro for a family of four.

Hotel elysee and other hotels /apartments in Chessy are a much cheaper than the disney hotels,not much further away from the park ,wont help you out this time round,but worth looking into if you return.

Get as many rolls, cheese and ham from the buffet breakfast and that's a snack sorted. Or if you aren't hungry you can chuck them at people....usually French 😏 who have no concept of queuing 👍

34 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Get as many rolls, cheese and ham from the buffet breakfast and that's a snack sorted. Or if you aren't hungry you can chuck them at people....usually French 😏 who have no concept of queuing 👍

I'm married to a Kraut. She'll put those Frenchies in their place. 

7 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

I'm married to a Kraut. She'll put those Frenchies in their place. 

Seriously. You will have great fun. You are right to do the planning and involve everybody. We went to Paris for a day in the middle just to reset.......and get some good food lol.

Enjoy it....not been in years, we stayed at the New York hotel a couple of times..and had half board so cant offer much advice on food offerings elsewhere

One good onsite restaurant is the blue lagoon in the pirates ride if you fancy it...we loved it

We also done the wild west show for a treat, kids loved it

The ratatouille ride is meant to be good [wasn't built when we were there]...and the Pirates of the Caribbean ride is actually better here than in Orlando - you get 2 drops as opposed to 1.

Take good footwear as you will walk miles, watch the weather forecast as we needed waterproofs, got trench foot after walking in trainers in the rain for a day ! :)

On 27/07/2019 at 23:24, AlimOzturk said:

Anybody looking to do theme parks in Europe...Efteling theme park in the Netherlands is by far the best followed by Portaventura in Salut. 

Not much help to the OP...sorry  

Barcelona has a decent one too.

We went in 2011. Really enjoyed it but even back then it was a dear a feck!

me n my wife & 2 kids under 12. 

First day went for lunch in the park 115 Euros!!!

Noticed the baguette shop in the train station at the park entrance so we went in there and got filled baguettes, crisps and juice for a fraction of the price then had a wee picnic in the park instead. Get a big brekky in the hotel & buy food off-site before you go in would be my advice...unless youre OK with being fleeced!!!

Dean Winchester
35 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Visiting next year, staying in a Disney hotel. Looking to take a day trip into Paris one day. How easy is this to do?

Very easy. Marne-la-Valee Train station is right next to the entrance to the Park where the shuttle bus drops you off.

Takes about 40 mins and can't remember it being that expensive.

15 minutes ago, Dean Winchester said:

Very easy. Marne-la-Valee Train station is right next to the entrance to the Park where the shuttle bus drops you off.

Takes about 40 mins and can't remember it being that expensive.

Perfect, thanks. Was checking on the french rail website but that was only coming up with trains via Lille! I see now though that it is the local train / metro that you use between paris and Disneyland.

Do you happen to know what time they run until during the summer?

Dean Winchester
11 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Perfect, thanks. Was checking on the french rail website but that was only coming up with trains via Lille! I see now though that it is the local train / metro that you use between paris and Disneyland.

Do you happen to know what time they run until during the summer?

Yes it takes you straight into the underground. RER is the company.

Think they run into the early hours. Sure we got one back at 11:30pm or so and pretty sure there was another couple due after that, don't expect it has changed much and they where still every 10-15 mins at that time.

2 minutes ago, Dean Winchester said:

Yes it takes you straight into the underground. RER is the company.

Think they run into the early hours. Sure we got one back at 11:30pm or so and pretty sure there was another couple due after that, don't expect it has changed much and they where still every 10-15 mins at that time.

Excellent. Sounds ideal.

On 27/07/2019 at 21:34, Normthebarman said:

Book your park tickets in advance, they cost an absolute fortune on the day

• 1 month later...

A wee bump. 

Im thinking about taking the wee ones next summer, they would be turning 4. 

Wouk they be old enough with all the waking etc? 

Also am I better booking a hotel package with Disney or stay elsewhere? 

2 hours ago, His name is said:

A wee bump. 

Im thinking about taking the wee ones next summer, they would be turning 4. 

Wouk they be old enough with all the waking etc? 

Also am I better booking a hotel package with Disney or stay elsewhere? 

From what I can tell, they'd maybe be better waiting a year or 2, unless you take a buggy with you. 

9 miles of walking appears to be a fairly common amount that people reach over a day. If you're only going for one day, they might manage it. Once you get to the end of day 2 or 3, that's a hell of a lot of walking for wee legs. 

Disney Hotel vs off site depends on what you're looking for. If budget is the main concern, off site definitely. If this is meant to be a once in a lifetime family experience to remember, I'd probably look for an on site hotel and keep an eye out for their regular 25% off rooms and free half board offers. 

24 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

From what I can tell, they'd maybe be better waiting a year or 2, unless you take a buggy with you. 

9 miles of walking appears to be a fairly common amount that people reach over a day. If you're only going for one day, they might manage it. Once you get to the end of day 2 or 3, that's a hell of a lot of walking for wee legs. 

Disney Hotel vs off site depends on what you're looking for. If budget is the main concern, off site definitely. If this is meant to be a once in a lifetime family experience to remember, I'd probably look for an on site hotel and keep an eye out for their regular 25% off rooms and free half board offers. 

A number of years ago we took the grandchildren, living on-site. Got up early waiting on the gates opening to use our preference tickets. Around 2pm and after about six hours waiting and walking, the kids were cream crackered looking for forty winks before the afternoon session. Left the good lady in the room to look after things and popped down to the bar for a well earned refreshment . Was told the bar would open at four and advised I should avail myself of the mini bar in the room, which has never been my thing. The three day package we had was poor value for money but in truth the Disney characters in the restaurant and activities in the park had the kids spellbound which in the final analysis was the most important aspect.

BRAVEHEART1874

Went to Paris / disney for the weekend and that cost just as much as a week in Florida which has lots more to do like universal studios. The park is ok,  it was the same as the mainstreet usa florida one really but without the other disney ones like animal world etc. The train took absolutely ages to get back to Paris. Very busy so leave plenty of time if a flight to catch, and good luck finding people who can actually speak english for a train ticket let alone scottish ;)