Bury

Maroon Sailor

9 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Bolton and Bury getting launched out of the football league in just over 40minutes time. Shame for the fans. 

This has to be a wake up call. 

Bolton, one of the founding members.  Bury are not, but still one of the oldest clubs.  

A shame for all concerned, but also a reminder of what a fantastic job we done as fans, and Bryan Jackson as an Administrator. 

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Mikey1874

• Tasavallan

• shaun.lawson

August Landmesser

EFL have been absolute charlatans in all of this - utterly laughable fit & proper person tests. Coventry & Charlton have suffered from similar dodgy owners, and a lot of other clubs will doubtless be in danger of the same thing happening.

kirkierobroy

Always a fun question to ask people to name all the Lancs and Yorks beginning-with-B teams (also Barnsley, Bradford, Burnley). Two fewer, soon?

9 minutes ago, Paolo said:

This has to be a wake up call. 

Bolton, one of the founding members.  Bury are not, but still one of the oldest clubs.  

A shame for all concerned, but also a reminder of what a fantastic job we done as fans, and Bryan Jackson as an Administrator. 

Indeed. 

Said it up the thread, that if this had been Germany, the Big clubs would have loaned the clubs money. 

In England, it seems they don’t care anymore about the traditions and origins of the game and only about themselves. 

5 minutes ago, kirkierobroy said:

Always a fun question to ask people to name all the Lancs and Yorks beginning-with-B teams (also Barnsley, Bradford, Burnley). Two fewer, soon?

Blackpool, Blackburn Rovers.

3 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Sky Sports News have got a countdown clock like it's transfer deadline day😒

Bit crass, but not surprising from Sky. Anything to create a bit of drama.

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Indeed. 

Said it up the thread, that if this had been Germany, the Big clubs would have loaned the clubs money. 

In England, it seems they don’t care anymore about the traditions and origins of the game and only about themselves. 

I went to a couple of HFC Haarlem games in Holland just before they folded, they'd received financial help and players on loan from Ajax (Amsterdam's 15 minutes away by train).

It wasn't enough to stave off the inevitable, but some effort was made at least. 

24 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Bolton and Bury getting launched out of the football league in just over 40minutes time. Shame for the fans. 

Slightly different. Bury will go at 5 if no buyer is found

Bolton go on 14 day notice of termination of membership so technically they have 2 weeks where they can pull it back from brink but administrator has apparently said if no solution found by 5 that they will start to wind club up. 

Shame, lot of lads I work with are massive Bolton fans who take their kids to games.

Biggest issue among smaller clubs is that the wages that some of these clubs are/were paying is seriously eye watering. Football should be looking after its own but when bang average players agents are going in and demanding 6, 7, 10k per week, it truly is scandalous. The money in the game in the top flight and what some of those players earn is nothing short of obscene. Football needs to start looking at salary caps and maximum wages especially in lower leagues to ensure this doesn’t happen again.

Always remember a story about Marlon King who was apparently on about 35k a week when he was at Wigan. He is a truly pony player and should have been on about a tenth of it

6 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Is Jim White w******?himself?

Edited by Paolo

8 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Crass as **** 

3 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Slightly different. Bury will go at 5 if no buyer is found

Bolton go on 14 day notice of termination of membership so technically they have 2 weeks where they can pull it back from brink but administrator has apparently said if no solution found by 5 that they will start to wind club up. 

Shame, lot of lads I work with are massive Bolton fans who take their kids to games.

Biggest issue among smaller clubs is that the wages that some of these clubs are/were paying is seriously eye watering. Football should be looking after its own but when bang average players agents are going in and demanding 6, 7, 10k per week, it truly is scandalous. The money in the game in the top flight and what some of those players earn is nothing short of obscene. Football needs to start looking at salary caps and maximum wages especially in lower leagues to ensure this doesn’t happen again.

Always remember a story about Marlon King who was apparently on about 35k a week when he was at Wigan. He is a truly pony player and should have been on about a tenth of it

Sky News this morning said that both would be kicked out if no resolution by 5 , Bury could get an extension but Bolton had to have the deal done or it was over.

9 minutes ago, sadj said:

Crass as **** 

Sky News this morning said that both would be kicked out if no resolution by 5 , Bury could get an extension but Bolton had to have the deal done or it was over.

Other way round. That’s from someone who has connections with Bolton

Maroon Sailor

Jim White is a fecking tit.

People he talks to are either a very good friend of his or he has known them a long time

Grade A walloper 

Statement from EFL around about 7pm apparently

Maroon Sailor

SKY reporter Ben Ransom losing it with Bolton fans as some arsehole sticks his face in front of the camera.

EXCUSE ME

Mate

Trying to broadcast here, trying to save your club

Edited by Maroon Sailor

1 hour ago, Stephen Muddie said:

Might put the news on and do a bit of grief tourism IMO

I done that ended up on YouTube watching videos of hearts 2005-06. Now I'm right back where I started no further forward.

47 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Jim White is a fecking tit.

People he talks to are either a very good friend of his or he has known them a long time

Grade A walloper 

Statement from EFL around about 7pm apparently

He's near as bad as me

CavySlaveJambo

I don’t think that the deadline as it stood helped Bury or Bolton with the vast majority of them being the weekend or a bank holiday. 

And from what the comments from the group looking to take over Bury were saying, trying to get a deal almost done with the paperwork being complex, needed access to their legal team and longer to go through it. 

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

I don’t think that the deadline as it stood helped Bury or Bolton with the vast majority of them being the weekend or a bank holiday. 

And from what the comments from the group looking to take over Bury were saying, trying to get a deal almost done with the paperwork being complex, needed access to their legal team and longer to go through it. 

I think that's been overplayed, people with access to the millions required to buy and run a football club can deal with a bank holiday. The league also said that deadlines may be extended if things looked good (paraphrasing of course!),  I don't think it was that cut and dried.

Extremely distasteful of Sky Sports News to be running a ‘deadline day’ style timer counting down, Jim White seems to relish the heartache fans are suffering to get headlines.

Minutes later they are discussing Alexis Sanchez’s £500k p/w wages.

Any decent football fan would point blank refuse to do such a ridiculous report. 

CavySlaveJambo
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I think that's been overplayed, people with access to the millions required to buy and run a football club can deal with a bank holiday. The league also said that deadlines may be extended if things looked good (paraphrasing of course!),  I don't think it was that cut and dried.

I believed the EFL had said 99% complete.

The Bank Holiday was an issue with the availability of the legal team.

Sub4TiddlerMurray

The ugly sisters will be jizzing themselves at the thought of grabbing the two vacancies if Bury and Bolton are kicked out.

2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Indeed. 

One young fan summed it up perfectly 'It's all about the money now'.

3 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

The ugly sisters will be jizzing themselves at the thought of grabbing the two vacancies if Bury and Bolton are kicked out.

If that happens it’d be the best thing for Scottish football IMO. Good f*****g riddance. 👍

Unknown user
Just now, Swanny17 said:

If that happens it’d be the best thing for Scottish football IMO. Good f*****g riddance. 👍

As long as they don't leave colt teams or b teams or whatever behind.

GTF means GTF.

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

As long as they don't leave colt teams or b teams or whatever behind.

GTF means GTF.

Nailed it.  Bigotexit means bigotexit.

17 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

They have absolutely no chance. Manchester finished any faint chance they had.

CavySlaveJambo
20 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Pyramid System. More likely to rejig promotion/relegation between league 1/league 2 and The National League. 

grumpyespana

You would have thought the EFL would have tried to sort things out with both Bury & Bolton before things got out of hand.

2 minutes ago, grumpyespana said:

You would have thought the EFL would have tried to sort things out with both Bury & Bolton before things got out of hand.

Yeah and looking at from a simplistic view you’d think Man Utd or City could step in and help out due to location the majority in the area would support either or anyway but  if they’d supported  the local team then Bury might not be in this situation in the first place! But I know you help one then what about the next team plus if they drew each other in a cup you’d get the jobsworth blah,blah  

Absolutely brutal for both set of fans. I hope that both clubs make it through their darkest hour.

Unfortunately, this is going to happen more and more, as the rich clubs get richer, and the rest of us suffer because of it.

Money is destroying the game imo.

Someone being on 500k a week is simply ridiculous.

Cap transfer fees to a million and wages to £15,000 max. 

I've said it before, but a drastic cap on transfer fees, wages and sponsorship is the only way forward.

EFL keep letting crooks take over clubs.

This is the end result.

Nobody who has ever been disqualified from directing a business should be let anywhere near a football club.

Simple as that.

Malinga the Swinga

Perhaps all these supporters of pishy wee 3rd and 4th tier clubs should cease bigging themselves and their leagues up so much and stop looking down on Scottish clubs. Every time you go down South or abroad you meet guys who believe teams like Charlton, Bury, and many others are at a level above Hearts and other teams we compete against.

They refuse to acknowledge, and even get annoyed when you mention the fact that they pay stupid wages to mediocre players and that the level they play at is mince. Just because Sky provide decent camera work and hype it up, that doesn't mean it is good.

Bury loved getting promoted last year, but they had players they really couldn't afford (like Rangers)

Bolton in premiership for years and they didn't even cast a glance at clubs in lower leagues or help clubs in need. Now they want help, but they are reaping what they sowed.

No sympathy for either of them, regardless of whether hey live or die.

25 minutes ago, Cade said:

EFL keep letting crooks take over clubs.

This is the end result.

Nobody who has ever been disqualified from directing a business should be let anywhere near a football club.

Simple as that.

Did Notts County not suffer that aswell. How is it possible. Thats like you or me rocking up in a suit and saying ill take it off your hands for £1

2 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

This. FTOF 

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Did Jim White do this for us? What were Neil Drysdale’s thoughts on our probable demise? In some ways it might actually be better being ignored and considered irrelevant to SKY and the BBC, like we are. All a bit tawdry and ghoulish by SKY and White. 

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Did Jim White do this for us? What were. Neil Drysdale’s thoughts on our probable demise? In some ways it might actually be better being ignored and considered irrelevant to SKY and the BBC, like we are. All a bit tawdry and ghoulish by SKY and White. 

I remember Why are you so good reporting in front of Ibrox with tears in his eyes as his beloved went bust. No SKY countdown clock though

3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I remember Why are you so good reporting in front of Ibrox with tears in his eyes as his beloved went bust. No SKY countdown clock though

Did he not interview Green on his ‘deathbed’ annaw?  🙃

shaun.lawson
On 26/08/2019 at 16:47, DesertDawg said:

So, where are the financial regulators in all of this mess?  

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/26/bury-britain-gigg-lane-brexit

Even by the EFL's non-existent standards, :cornette:

The broader points Conn makes are spot on too.

1. Football is only a reflection of broader society; and especially, broader economic attitudes. The UK's Greed Is Good vulture capitalism, which is about to intensify far more if No Deal happens, rewards complete shysters (Exhibit A: the Prime Minister himself) and screws everyone else. 

2. Have a look at the Premier League right now. No Sunderland or Middlesbrough. No Leeds or Sheffield Wednesday. No Nottingham Forest or Derby. But instead, Brighton, Bournemouth, Palace, Watford and Norwich. Four of those clubs' 'natural' level is the Championship; Bournemouth's is below even that.

But what do those five clubs have in common? They're all in the south - and bit by bit, at all levels except among the very elite, English football's coming to reflect the chronic socioeconomic neglect of the north. It's easy to laugh at the likes of Newcastle as they lurch from one crisis to the next - but the biggest problem they face in attracting either good players or rich investors is geography. And that's true for a whole bunch of other big city clubs outside the south and south-east.

Edited by shaun.lawson

1 minute ago, shaun.lawson said:

Even by the EFL's non-existent standards, :cornette:

The broader points Conn makes are spot on too.

1. Football is only a reflection of broader society; and especially, broader economic attitudes. The UK's Greed Is Good vulture capitalism, which is about to intensify far more if No Deal happens, reward complete shysters and screw everyone else. 

2. Have a look at the Premier League right now. No Sunderland or Middlesbrough. No Leeds or Sheffield Wednesday. No Nottingham Forest or Derby. But instead, Brighton, Bournemouth, Palace, Watford and Norwich. Four of those clubs 'natural' level is the Championship; Bournemouth's is below even that.

But what do those five clubs have in common? They're all in the south - and bit by bit, at all levels except among the very elite, English football's coming to reflect the chronic socioeconomic neglect of the north. It's easy to laugh at the likes of Newcastle as they lurch from one crisis to the next - but the biggest problem they face in attracting either good players or rich investors is geography. And that's true for a whole bunch of other big city clubs outside the south and south-east.

I'm in the minority and usually agree with your posts but can't agree here. Sunderland, Leeds and Newcastle are all suffering from severe mismanagement, not geography. And Nottingham are not that big, even when they were winning trophies they were unfashionable (a little like Leicester in the modern game). 

Good players go to all sorts of places in England and the Midlands makes up a large proportion of the PL with Wolves, Villa, and as I mentioned, Leicester... 

It has feck all to do with where in England they are based, very unlike Scotland.

August Landmesser
8 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

That is beautiful. No mention of us though which I'm a bit miffed at.

We weren't liquidated. That article is all about clubs who had to re-form as new clubs and/or holding companies.

4 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

We weren't liquidated. That article is all about clubs who had to re-form as new clubs and/or holding companies.

Paragraph from same article:

Darlington FC is another club that was saved by supporters when in 2012 the club went into administration for the third time in its history. Since then it's been fan-owned.

Edit: Not that it matters too much, I'm still laughing at the thought of Rangers FC releasing another statement about being bullied by the media.

Edited by jambostuart

August Landmesser
2 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

Paragraph from same article:

Darlington FC is another club that was saved by supporters when in 2012 the club went into administration for the third time in its history. Since then it's been fan-owned.

Darlington couldn't agree a CVA after that 3rd admin, were expelled from the League, and reformed in 2012 as Darlington 1883.