• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Mikey1874

• Tasavallan

• shaun.lawson

On 27/07/2019 at 09:59, sassenach said:

All the talk of a financial bonanza in English football is a bit of an illusion for most, I'm afraid.

Take my local club Middlesbrough - they're generally around the playoff zone, quite often in the Premier League, and have twice been in the UEFA group stages within the last 15 years including a final. Add in frequent parachute money and you would imagine they would be doing OK financially.

The facts are that their losses are only kept manageable by the profits of the chairman's other companies, otherwise they'd be in a terrible state.

The money coming into English football only goes on crazy transfer fees and wages without any increase in quality, and in the case of medium-sized clubs like Boro with an ever-decreasing possibly of any actual success on the field (I don't class mere survival in the Premier League as "success").

I just thank my lucky stars that I discovered Hearts.

but they don't need to pay that

BarneyBattles44
10 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

It runs the world, but the fact the teams are allowed to keep on adding to it makes the mind boggle, especially in the championships or lower. 

Lots of clubs are in trouble even as we speak. 

Piss's me off that a club like Notts forest, over £100m in debt can give a player more wages than Hearts. 

Sports sides eat up money

• 2 weeks later...
Footballfirst
27 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

We can confirm that today we have received an offer for the sale of Bury Football Club, one that we all at the Club believe is a very good offer.

This offer has been conveyed to Steve Dale and we are still waiting to hear from him.

This offer is the only lifeline for the future of the Club and we implore Steve Dale to accept it, as it has the full backing of all of the senior staff at Bury FC.

Sounds like the club has gone native on social media, i.e. against the owner.

It would be like FOH tweeting against Ann Budge.

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

Sounds like the club has gone native on social media, i.e. against the owner.

It would be like FOH tweeting against Ann Budge.

What would he gain by not accepting it? Is it a Ronnee Pawnee type security over everything so he would get the ground etc? 

There’s a good documentary somewhere...maybe Vice or something...which shows some of the Bury young football casuals. None of whom seem like the usual pricks you’d associate with casuals. Good watch, anyone know the name?

Saturdays match against Gillingham has been suspended.

From what I can gather, they have until 23 August to get their finances in order or they face FA expulsion.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
12 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Tuesday's match v Rotherham off as well

Could be the last straw for Bury

Dead and Bury'd by the look of it. Jokes apart, never good, sad for those who will have given countless hours for this

The true facts seem to be hidden. They owner wants the new buyer to pay £13 million debt. 

But new buyer does not. Also different stories being told to Football League. 

Local MP wants City and United to bail them out! But no way would they pay £6.5 million each.

4 hours ago, Turkishcap said:

Sad times but if they go shove an arse cheek in to take their place.

What a result that would be.

annushorribilis III
9 minutes ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

The true facts seem to be hidden. They owner wants the new buyer to pay £13 million debt. 

Local MP wants City and United to bail them out! But no way would they pay £6.5 million each.

I thought I heard the current owner on 5Live  yesterday saying he wants the new owner to pay the CVA - which is 25% of the original £14M. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 hours ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

Asking other clubs to prop them up is pointless. 

5 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Asking other clubs to prop them up is pointless. 

Why should they?

sounds harsh, but it's not up to other organisations to fund them.

bury fc need to start again, ensure they have their football share and apply to whichever football league will accept them.

this is going to happen to more and more lower league clubs who no longer have mental sugar daddies taking a punt on them (e.g. Fleetwood, Burton,  forest green etc)

Football associations/league authorities should employ their own auditors to produce reports every season

Clubs should be warned and not allowed to sign players on a far more regular basis than currently applies and simply put they should be told to cut costs and if that means wages for players so be it

I fail to understand what is difficult about telling fans we have a budget and we won't or cannot exceed it if you want a club to support

In a short period of time clubs will have to fall into line in a true financial fair play set up

If you want to invest then there should be restrictions on loans etc you place on the club and guarantees should be sought and enforced so owners understand no more financial chicanery

2 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

Why should they?

sounds harsh, but it's not up to other organisations to fund them.

bury fc need to start again, ensure they have their football share and apply to whichever football league will accept them.

this is going to happen to more and more lower league clubs who no longer have mental sugar daddies taking a punt on them (e.g. Fleetwood, Burton,  forest green etc)

Burton? Probably want to check up on that one👍

2 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Football associations/league authorities should employ their own auditors to produce reports every season

Clubs should be warned and not allowed to sign players on a far more regular basis than currently applies and simply put they should be told to cut costs and if that means wages for players so be it

I fail to understand what is difficult about telling fans we have a budget and we won't or cannot exceed it if you want a club to support

In a short period of time clubs will have to fall into line in a true financial fair play set up

If you want to invest then there should be restrictions on loans etc you place on the club and guarantees should be sought and enforced so owners understand no more financial chicanery

Yet some on here complain about Ann Budge's fiscal prudence, the business takes priority over the football etc.

There are even some who reminisce about the Vlad era and would appear to be prepared to risk the long term future of the club again for the possibility of some short term success.

After being to the brink and back on 3 occasions during my lifetime, I have no desire to see us there again.

Maroon Sailor
On 30/07/2019 at 15:33, sassenach said:

I know they don't have to pay over the odds, and there is some belt-tightening going on at the moment, but eventually clubs have to spend to avoid being left behind.

There is also a premium to be paid by less-attractive clubs. Let's face it, any half-decent player wouldn't choose to be at a team like Middlesbrough unless they were earning good money.

Middlesbrough had their own problems 30 odd years ago. From wiki

The club experienced severe financial difficulties during the mid-1980s.[20] Middlesbrough were dropping down the table, and finished 19th in the 1984–85 season. In April 1986, the club had to borrow £30,000 from the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) to pay wages. The final game of the season saw Middlesbrough relegated to the Third Division again.[9] That summer, the club called in the Provisional Liquidator and shortly afterwards, the club was wound up and the gates to Ayresome Park were padlocked. Without the £350,000 capital required for Football League registration, a new rule, it seemed inevitable that the club would fold permanently.[21] Steve Gibson, however, a member of the board at the time, brought together a consortium, and with 10 minutes to spare before the deadline they completed their registration with the Football League for the 1986–87 season.[22]Following the registration came both a change of club crest and a change of the official company name to Middlesbrough Football and Athletic Club (1986) Ltd.[23]

My first thought is to say it's Darwinism at work. If you don't adapt, you die. But in truth it's much more complicated than that. Many clubs, especially down south, feel pressured into trying to keep up with others with the blinkered lights of financial holy grail if they do well and get within sight of the premiership/championship. However, in reality, it puts more in trouble than most. 

In all seriousness, if this carries on the way it's going, in about 15 years there will be a top 6, and everyone else amateur. (OK, slight exaggeration, but not by much). 

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, trotter said:

My first thought is to say it's Darwinism at work. If you don't adapt, you die. But in truth it's much more complicated than that. Many clubs, especially down south, feel pressured into trying to keep up with others with the blinkered lights of financial holy grail if they do well and get within sight of the premiership/championship. However, in reality, it puts more in trouble than most. 

In all seriousness, if this carries on the way it's going, in about 15 years there will be a top 6, and everyone else amateur. (OK, slight exaggeration, but not by much). 

Former league clubs just seem to reform after going bust. Here are a few I can think of

Halifax

Hereford

Aldershot

Boston

Chester

Maidstone

Rushden & Diamonds

Jimmy_McNulty

Former flatmate of mine is a huge Shakers fan. Saw a few games back in the day. Sad to see Bury in this shape.

If either of the ugly sisters had any real ambition to move to the English leagues they would buy a 'going-bust' team, turn it into a feeder team and apply for them to be moved to Glasgow. 

I'm actually really surprised they never have.

10 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Burton? Probably want to check up on that one👍

just did - I coudn't have picked a worse example! - polar opposite :)

replace with salford...

Wow - if use get a chance listen to bury owner and midfielder going at it on talk sport radio. its a 10 minute clip on the twitter account. 

4 hours ago, gov said:

Wow - if use get a chance listen to bury owner and midfielder going at it on talk sport radio. its a 10 minute clip on the twitter account. 

Heard it live earlier and it is quite horrific. Steve Dale is at it and blames everyone other than himself. Total charlatan. 

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, eyesandears said:

Heard it live earlier and it is quite horrific. Steve Dale is at it and blames everyone other than himself. Total charlatan. 

Seems to have a history of everything he touches goes down the pan

Been following this and at first you felt sorry for the current owner who looked like he was doing all he could to save the club.

The truth is now emerging and the guy is looking like a right Petrie. 

Hopefully Bury pull through.

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Seems to have a history of everything he touches goes down the pan

Yes, and he's not the only one. The EFL were asleep at the wheel when Stewart Day sold to him for a £1 back in December and Steve Dale glides in with no checks on his ability or willingness to fund the club. I have huge sympathy for their fans as their club is now on the very edge of existence due to the current and past owners' largesse and egos and a poorly governed governing body.

Unknown user
9 minutes ago, eyesandears said:

Yes, and he's not the only one. The EFL were asleep at the wheel when Stewart Day sold to him for a £1 back in December and Steve Dale glides in with no checks on his ability or willingness to fund the club. I have huge sympathy for their fans as their club is now on the very edge of existence due to the current and past owners' largesse and egos and a poorly governed governing body.

They can just come back as The Bury and buy the history. 

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

They can just come back as The Bury and buy the history. 

Ridiculous, no team would ever get away with that.

Haringshairband

On the news tonight they have 48 hours to sort out their finances. The ex chairwoman handcuffed herself to a pipe outside the stadium in protest.

Stealing someone else's thunder on here but if Bury and Bolton were to go under, I hope they don't, fantastic opportunity for the English authorities to really boost their game by inviting the OF to come and join them.

We would miss them terribly but change is inevitable and we'd just have to get on with it.  In my case, I'd down at least 10 bottles of champagne to console myself.

On 16/08/2019 at 02:49, Maroon Sailor said:

Former league clubs just seem to reform after going bust. Here are a few I can think of

Halifax

Hereford

Aldershot

Boston

Chester

Maidstone

Rushden & Diamonds

Wimbledon

9 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Stealing someone else's thunder on here but if Bury and Bolton were to go under, I hope they don't, fantastic opportunity for the English authorities to really boost their game by inviting the OF to come and join them.

We would miss them terribly but change is inevitable and we'd just have to get on with it.  In my case, I'd down at least 10 bottles of champagne to console myself.

9 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Celtic could buy them and do a Wimbledon/MK Dons as it is, for probably less than they spent on some of their summer signings.

Or we could buy them and use it as a second team where we can develop players and punt players we want to sell.

Edited by number-16

Maroon Sailor
4 hours ago, Phage said:

Wimbledon

They didn't go bust

They relocated and changed name

Yeah but just think of the "mad rollercoaster" of a great time that the fans had when they were overspending and living massively outwith their means. Wouldn't change it for the world. In fact, they should build a statue  ....

12 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

With all due respect, it is easy to sit in NZ and propose that as an idea whereas the reality is that the old firm benefit from playing in a stronger, richer, league, and we are still left with their fans infesting our streets, not to mention the media ignoring our clubs even more than they do now.

13 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

With all due respect, it is easy to sit in NZ and propose that as an idea whereas the reality is that the old firm benefit from playing in a stronger, richer, league, and we are still left with their fans infesting our streets, not to mention the media ignoring our clubs even more than they do now.

Correct. It's  naive to think BBC Scotland ,  Daily Record etc would ignore RanTic and promote Scottish domestic football in their absence.

The Treasurer
17 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Sky's "in depth" look at Scottish football would disappear altogether if they didn't have an interview with slippy G followed by an advert for the next OF game

Maroon Sailor
Bury owner Steve Dale has told Sky Sports News that four parties are interested in saving the club from liquidation, with Sky sources saying one party is in advanced discussions.

JDMT_ujL?format=jpg&name=900x900

I’d pledge money, but not to Steve Dale and his inability to see that is what’s about to kill the club by the look of it.

Hopefully, something concrete’s in place come midnight - it’s like a sadistic deadline day.