Bpa Parking fine, Aldi cowdenbeath match.

gordiegords

gordiegords

I parked at Aldi's for the cowdenbeath game and now ive just received through the door a penalty charge, £70, £40 if i pay now, did anyone get this charge or just me for being daft and thinking i would get away with it.

Also, should i pay it?

Thanks for any advice.

2 minutes ago, gordiegords said:

I parked at Aldi's for the cowdenbeath game and now ive just received through the door a penalty charge, £70, £40 if i pay now, did anyone get this charge or just me for being daft and thinking i would get away with it.

Also, should i pay it?

Thanks for any advice.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets/

Good Luck! 

Edited by iainmac

4 minutes ago, gordiegords said:

Also, should i pay it?

Thanks for any advice.

Happened to me at Lidls dalry road a few years ago . Didn't pay then got threatened with CCJ . Decided as that was English law not to pay .

Never heard from them again .

Things may have changed but good chance , because of Scottish law , you won't be liable

Edited by johnthomas

12 minutes ago, gordiegords said:

Also, should i pay it?

Thanks for any advice.

Long story short ignore it.

In England the ticket can be enforced to the registered owner of the car but in Scotland they have to determine who was driving so dont reply under any circumstances.

You’ll get reminders and chasers and threats for a few then it will stop.

Unless its a letter from a court its bullshit no matter what it threatens regarding CCJ or credit files.

They get your DVLA details and try it on as many as possible who fold.

Oh and be prepared for moaning arses telling you its your own fault on private land blah blah selfish blah blah.

Edited by Jamboelite

Dean Winchester

Ignore and do not engage at all.

Wife's managed to do it a couple of times at the Aldi in Bathgate. Couple of letters through the door then you'll never hear from them again.

...a bit disco

I got 8 letters for one of these invoices.

Never replied, never heard anything since.

gordiegords

thanks folks very handy to know, i'll hopefully see it through and ignore all the ones comeing through my letterbox, hope i dont crumble!

3 hours ago, gordiegords said:

thanks folks very handy to know, i'll hopefully see it through and ignore all the ones comeing through my letterbox, hope i dont crumble!

You might also get letters, supposedly from debt collectors. Ignore these too, it's just a ploy some parking companies use. I've had a few of them over the years, and there's never any follow up.

Seeking legal advice from an online football related firm isn't really a wise idea. 

Chances are, you'll not hear anything, but court action is possible if you ignore threats - take a look at this case where the driver ended up having to pay £24k because of a parking ticket. 

https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/search-judgments/judgment?id=a48631a7-8980-69d2-b500-ff0000d74aa7

The signs clearly states the car park rules and a time limit and that is enough of a defence for the parking firm to take court action. 

They probably won't take action but only you can decide if that is a risk worth taking. 

8 minutes ago, Col1874 said:

Seeking legal advice from an online football related firm isn't really a wise idea. 

Chances are, you'll not hear anything, but court action is possible if you ignore threats - take a look at this case where the driver ended up having to pay £24k because of a parking ticket. 

https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/search-judgments/judgment?id=a48631a7-8980-69d2-b500-ff0000d74aa7

The signs clearly states the car park rules and a time limit and that is enough of a defence for the parking firm to take court action. 

They probably won't take action but only you can decide if that is a risk worth taking. 

Having skimmed the opinion I'm guessing the parking company were able to account for 245 days the person had parked there at £100 per day and that's why they came to the figure of £24,500. The defender even agreed to that amount if she were found liable, which I personally find to be an insane position to take, legally speaking. :lol:

Anyway, your example was cost-effective to pursue through the courts, and that's why there's a case for it. I find it hard to imagine £70 would be. You're right though, that a risk, however small it may be when we're talking of a
single, two-figure charge, does exist.

The Real Maroonblood
14 hours ago, Jamboelite said:

Long story short ignore it.

In England the ticket can be enforced to the registered owner of the car but in Scotland they have to determine who was driving so dont reply under any circumstances.

You’ll get reminders and chasers and threats for a few then it will stop.

Unless its a letter from a court its bullshit no matter what it threatens regarding CCJ or credit files.

They get your DVLA details and try it on as many as possible who fold.

Oh and be prepared for moaning arses telling you its your own fault on private land blah blah selfish blah blah.

I would moan if someone parked on my driveway which is private land.

:P

2 hours ago, Col1874 said:

it was over 200 tickets they got her for not one

5 hours ago, Col1874 said:

The problem with that case was the lady in question didn't follow the advice given in this thread. 

She identified herself as the driver.

6 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I would moan if someone parked on my driveway which is private land.

:P

You could moan, but likely wouldn’t be able to do much, if anything, about it. You certainly couldn’t enforce a charge on them.  

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, gjcc said:

You could moan, but likely wouldn’t be able to do much, if anything, about it. You certainly couldn’t enforce a charge on them.  

Correct. 

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Correct. 

Definitely be keeping an eye out for them returning though. :lol: 

Or parking so they can’t get out...

Write "NOT AT THIS ADDRESS, RETURN TO SENDER" on the envelope and chuck it back in the post. 

;)

gordiegords

Hmmm, when I received the fine through the post I noticed there was photos of the car attached, am I being naive here but it seems they’re serious about this. Maybe I should just pay it. 

6 minutes ago, gordiegords said:

Hmmm, when I received the fine through the post I noticed there was photos of the car attached, am I being naive here but it seems they’re serious about this. Maybe I should just pay it. 

Not uncommon to have photos on these things. As said above, ignore it and any subsequent comms from them. 

Unless it’s been issued by the police or local council then just ignore it. They’ll send you a few more but just keep ignoring them then they’ll give up trying to contact you

Maroon Sailor
9 hours ago, IronJambo said:

In future, maybe not park like a dick and you won't have the stress of it

No need for that, he's said he was daft, so why put the boot in to him when he's down ?

11 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

No need for that, he's said he was daft, so why put the boot in to him when he's down ?

I'm not sticking the boot in, I'm just telling it like it is. The parking conditions are made clear at those places so a conscious choice is made to park there. Being hit by a charge isn't a surprise.

Choices are simple. Pay the fine or stress every time a letter comes in the door. Both avoidable by not parking like a George Hunt.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, IronJambo said:

I'm not sticking the boot in, I'm just telling it like it is. The parking conditions are made clear at those places so a conscious choice is made to park there. Being hit by a charge isn't a surprise.

Choices are simple. Pay the fine or stress every time a letter comes in the door. Both avoidable by not parking like a George Hunt.

He knows how it is - he took a chance and I think he has learnt his lesson

ToadKiller Dog

Keeper liability is likely to come to Scotland soon as closing the loophole and putting us in line with england is being thought about by the Scottish Government and advocated by politicians such as Murdo Fraser and Pete wishart. 

14 hours ago, gordiegords said:

It no doubt says in the letter that they are sending it to you as the registered keeper of the vehicle. And they will be asking you to name the driver and get them to pay the 'fine'. 

You are under no legal obligation to declare who the driver is. It is up to them to prove who the driver was and enforce the contract they claim the driver entered into when they parked. 

If you don't say you were the driver then they can't charge you the fine. 

gordiegords

Thanks everyone for your helpful and friendly replies I’ll keep and eye on this over the coming weeks, 

Doctor FinnBarr
20 hours ago, gordiegords said:

I've got a couple of cracking pics of (parkingeye) my car entering and leaving an empty car park at the airport whilst waiting to pick up another another poster for the CF, they got dingeed

7 hours ago, SUTOL said:

It no doubt says in the letter that they are sending it to you as the registered keeper of the vehicle. And they will be asking you to name the driver and get them to pay the 'fine'. 

You are under no legal obligation to declare who the driver is. It is up to them to prove who the driver was and enforce the contract they claim the driver entered into when they parked. 

If you don't say you were the driver then they can't charge you the fine. 

Recently got one (now on fourth letter) but I wasn’t driving the car, and I have evidence to prove that. Part of me wants to respond to tell them that (genuinely to save them the time and effort of pursuing action against the wrong person) but simply don’t want to engage with them to give them anything to use to go after the actual driver.

See them in court, I guess 🙄

On 27/07/2019 at 23:21, gordiegords said:

Hey - this happens often. They take photos as part of the number plate recognition in order to then get your address from the DVLA.

Look over the info provided by other posters and make a decision that you feel happy about - I wouldn't pay it.

It is also worth noting that the story someone posted where someone was taken to court was won by the parking company because they were able to show that (time after time) the person had been warned (through letters) and they chose to ignore all requests to stop parking. 

A one off isn't worth their time taking you to court, if you are racking up tens of thousands in their "charges" they will chase you, this is a one off and hence why I would not pay it. 

When you get a letter from them - read it, take a few seconds and remember that the letter is written with language that is intended to panic and manipulate you. Don't fall for their con trick with threats.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...
Doctor FinnBarr
On 28/07/2019 at 19:57, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I've got a couple of cracking pics of (parkingeye) my car entering and leaving an empty car park at the airport whilst waiting to pick up another another poster for the CF, they got dingeed

I can't name the poster I was picking up as he hasn't posted on this thread but he may have a Molenbeek badge as his avatar.

Garry mate, I've ignored the £60 prompt payment fine on your behalf and I've ignored the £100 fine for you too, hey, thats what mates are for but now a kid-on Debt Recovery (owned by Parkingeye) are onto you and the fine has risen to £170. Not sure if you want to pay this or brazen it out!

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I can't name the poster I was picking up as he hasn't posted on this thread but he may have a Molenbeek badge as his avatar.

Garry mate, I've ignored the £60 prompt payment fine on your behalf and I've ignored the £100 fine for you too, hey, thats what mates are for but now a kid-on Debt Recovery (owned by Parkingeye) are onto you and the fine has risen to £170. Not sure if you want to pay this or brazen it out!

So....Garry

I've just had a letter through the door , parking at Tesco , in at 10.15 , out at 16.50 , shows a photo of me and my boy , only stay 2 minutes away , looks like I can't shop twice in one day.