• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobboM

• Mikey1874

• Sooperstar

• JWL

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apologies for the Brexit crossover but it made me chuckle (from Twitter)

“Why don’t England’s batsmen just refuse to obey the laws, and stay at the crease? The convention is that we let the Australians board a plane home. But it’s not actually in the constitution.”

2 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

It's as if Steve Smith is actually too good for the sport. It almost undermines the contest. Guys barely human. 

Ya think?
😁

You are incredibly unlucky with your timiing there Eldar 😉

Edited by RobboM

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
5 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Ya think?
😁

You are incredibly unlucky with your timiing there Eldar 😉

Hahaha. I'll try it again in the second innings. 

Both teams have batted and it's advantage England.

The decision to put England in might come back to haunt the Aussies. Interesting to see the analysis on Smith's dismissal in that it followed 3-4 near identical balls and the dismissal bounced much lower. Expect the pitch to deteriorate through the remaining days and batting last to be awkward.

2 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

It's as if Steve Smith is actually too good for the sport. It almost undermines the contest. Guys barely human. 

I think he is a great example and role model (having served his punishment too). He has found his own way to play. Not necessarily the most naturally talented. Written off by lots of 'experts' and ex players when he was a bit part bowler (similar actually to Kevin Pietersen). 

But he's found a technique and his eye for the ball is unmatched. Find your own way. A great example. Great to watch. 

1 hour ago, RobboM said:

Both teams have batted and it's advantage England.

The decision to put England in might come back to haunt the Aussies. Interesting to see the analysis on Smith's dismissal in that it followed 3-4 near identical balls and the dismissal bounced much lower. Expect the pitch to deteriorate through the remaining days and batting last to be awkward.

Woakes has got him out lbw twice previously in other series. 

England bowled very well today. And young Sam Curran will be as good as Botham. By the way he is a batsman first. 

Edited by Mikey1874

4 hours ago, RobboM said:

Agree on the Wade one, the 3rd umpire seemed in a real hurry, I thought the no ball possibility needed a closer look, definitely felt like an inside edge. Just as well ball tracking called it right!

Warner was out, the spike came when the bat and ball are the only things in play and I'm pretty sure he knew it too. Interresting though they missed an edge from Labuschagne early on that looked well worth an appeal.

Warner didn't hit the ball. It was a strange decision. They are meant to use their eyes and not just be slaves to the technology. They need to review the sound system especially how it might pick out other sounds.

Labuschagne was out. Clearly hit the ball even if the sound spike was minimal. Fielders can miss them too. 

52 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

England bowled very well today. And young Sam Curran will be as good as Botham. By the way he is a batsman first. 

Sam Curran's bowling gives Root a real alternative. Even without Stokes' bowling the attack feels quite balanced. 5 distinct options and throw in Stokes and Root on top if needed.

15 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Without doubt an extremely promising talent but that is a fairly sweeping assertion.

How bad have the opening partnerships been (on both sides)
233 runs in ALL opening partnerships averaging 12.26
Today's is the first 50 opening partnership of the series.
Good bowling? Poor batting? Both?

On 05/09/2019 at 16:16, Jeff said:

Just seen the highlights.

A couple of bad non-review decisions by Paine.

I really hope Smith pulls out an astonishing innings to outdo Stokes' one.

What think you about the Aussies bowling to use up overs but NOT take wickets and pressure Root into making the declaration?

Batting 4th chasing the thick end of 400 as it currently stands could be tricky to win but could stifle England to a draw depending how long they have. Especially with Warner's form currently sunning itself on a beach somewhere.

3 minutes ago, Boof said:

What think you about the Aussies bowling to use up overs but NOT take wickets and pressure Root into making the declaration?

Batting 4th chasing the thick end of 400 as it currently stands could be tricky to win but could stifle England to a draw depending how long they have. Especially with Warner's form currently sunning itself on a beach somewhere.

2 full days left Boof so I don't think a declaration was really on the cards. There's enough time for England to take 10 wckets and enough time for Australia to score 400 or wahever England set. I reckon the Aussie bowlers are probably knackered. It's mid september, just a couple of days after the last test, the Aussie batsmen didn't give them too long a break, the Ashes are retained, it's a dead rubber hard to get too up for.

Should be a classic! 😉

Pretty much agree with you RM - just chucking that idle thought out there :lol:

Bowlers' raison d'être is to take wickets - imagine telling an Aussie bowler not to :lol:

2 days - or however long they eventually get - would be a big ask to bat out a draw on a deteriorating wicket so they'll surely go for it. Could be fun :D

Another opening partnership less than 20. The series finishes with an average across both teams of 12.5 for the opening partnership. That is really poor. I wonder how it compares with other series.

I see Extras has outscored Australia's top 3 thanks to 5 penalty runs.

Any idea what for? Currently watching Solheim Cup so don't know.

9 minutes ago, Boof said:

This series:

Batting = shite

Fielding = pretty bloody good

Currently 14th in the Aussie batting averages this series

8 very fine catches. Steve Smith has 12, just phenomenal!

7 minutes ago, Boof said:

Hit the helmet behind Bairstow

7 minutes ago, Boof said:

No idea if this happened, but if a fielder leaves an item of clothing lying in the field, and the ball hits it, then that's five runs. Possibly wicket keeper or short leg helmet?

20 minutes ago, Boris said:

No idea if this happened, but if a fielder leaves an item of clothing lying in the field, and the ball hits it, then that's five runs. Possibly wicket keeper or short leg helmet?

Short leg helmet? That's not very nice, Boris.

1 hour ago, RobboM said:

Currently 14th in the Aussie batting averages this series

8 very fine catches. Steve Smith has 12, just phenomenal!

Hit the helmet behind Bairstow

Never realised Smith's fielding had been so good.

Ta for the clarification.

Solheim Cup finish was sensational - both teams had one putt to clinch it. In case folk don't know I'll not reveal it, but it was nail-biting stuff.

Only about 1% of the nail-bitingness of the last 10 minutes of the '98 final but you'll get the drift...

There's the equaliser! Joe Root "claiming" two catches in successive deliveries (that's just for JWL 😉 )

The series draw is a really unusual result, only 3 previous in England.

9 hours ago, RobboM said:

Warner

image.png.120c9e6bc82b5cd14db0e9b419c767f8.png

Curious series where England were on top in a lot of match ups but Australia had the class of Smith and Cummins.

3 hours ago, RobboM said:

There's the equaliser! Joe Root "claiming" two catches in successive deliveries (that's just for JWL 😉 )

The series draw is a really unusual result, only 3 previous in England.

And strangely England actually come out of it in a better place. 

New coach has a chance to take them into a better test match set up.

Ashes down under could be good. 

On 27/07/2019 at 11:07, JWL said:

Totally looking forward to this. Should be an enthralling series and I reckon it will be pretty close. Going for 2-2 with one test drawn due to the weather and Australia to retain The Ashes. Mon The Aussies!

That was a pretty fine prediction JWL:biggrin2:

Well done England!!! Kept fighting til the End. 👏 

Congratulations Australia, did what was required.  And to Steve Smith, a different animal. Superb!

• 7 months later...
Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Sky have posted the full Ben Stokes/ Jack Leitch final wicket partnership.

Not a Great cricket fan.

That one of the most astonishing, high drama sporting events I've ever seen.