• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobboM

• Mikey1874

• Sooperstar

• JWL

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

England will have to get their heads out of ODI mode if they are to compete in the Ashes. Ireland have taught them a lesson.

14 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Surprised they didn't go for Alex Carey. Not necessarily as a keeper, as the skipper will play and is a better keeper, but as a batsman and slip. 

Cannot wait for this to start and England's top order is ropey and could be blown away by Starc and co.

I think England will edge it, but it will be compulsive viewing, unless you are thick and don't understand the nuances of Test Cricket.

One difference to most test series is that the Aussies have prepared by decent time in England. Playing at county sides eg Bancroft, the World Cup and a warm up game albeit the batsmen struggled. 

It is set up for a good contest between two well matched squads. England 3-2 would be my prediction. 

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Surprised they didn't go for Alex Carey. Not necessarily as a keeper, as the skipper will play and is a better keeper, but as a batsman and slip. 

Cannot wait for this to start and England's top order is ropey and could be blown away by Starc and co.

I think England will edge it, but it will be compulsive viewing, unless you are thick and don't understand the nuances of Test Cricket.

For an insomniac, just what the doctor ordered. Cricket, Fishing and dry paint spotting.

Nuances :D

The White Cockade

One for those of you who remember cricket/World Series/Paul Hogan back in the 70's and 80's

4 hours ago, RobboM said:

England will have to get their heads out of ODI mode if they are to compete in the Ashes. Ireland have taught them a lesson.

Presumably a lesson in how to bowl at Lord's :lol:

The White Cockade

probably just getting old but no enthusiasm for these games nowadays

back in the 70's and 80's the teams were full of characters and were household names

just a bunch of mainly unknowns now with no charisma

Lillee and Thomson

The Chappells

Rodney Marsh

Knott, Snow, Cowdrey, Edrich, D'Oliveira, Boycott, Underwood

and loads of others

and obviously Botham, Gower,Lamb, Border, Hughes, Mcgrath etc a decade later

2 hours ago, Boof said:

Presumably a lesson in how to bowl at Lord's :lol:

😁 Touché

Mind you it was still maybe more like T20 than ODI 😉

The White Cockade

Just watched the Ladies England v Australia T20

Aussie have some great batters and thrashed them all over the park and out of it

Very impressive stuff

Totally looking forward to this. Should be an enthralling series and I reckon it will be pretty close. Going for 2-2 with one test drawn due to the weather and Australia to retain The Ashes. Mon The Aussies!

On 26/07/2019 at 16:40, The White Cockade said:

probably just getting old but no enthusiasm for these games nowadays

back in the 70's and 80's the teams were full of characters and were household names

just a bunch of mainly unknowns now with no charisma

Lillee and Thomson

The Chappells

Rodney Marsh

Knott, Snow, Cowdrey, Edrich, D'Oliveira, Boycott, Underwood

and loads of others

and obviously Botham, Gower,Lamb, Border, Hughes, Mcgrath etc a decade later

I don't know, of the England side there's Stokes who's always entertaining, Bairstow who's got an outrageous range of shots, Root who'll get you runs all day long (admittedly can be a bit dull to watch), Roy who's a lovely attacking batsman, and a couple of exciting youngish bowlers in Archer and Curran who could set the series alight. 

Plus Broad and Anderson who're always a threat. Should be set up for yet another batshit crazy series. 

Glad I've just got the sport set up on the telly. Think a few days off work might be in order... 

May as well give this a wee bump. Interesting to see that Root is coming in at number 3 where he has previously stated his non-preference for this position; wondering who's decision this was.

5 minutes ago, JWL said:

May as well give this a wee bump. Interesting to see that Root is coming in at number 3 where he has previously stated his non-preference for this position; wondering who's decision this was.

According to the BBC report it was Roots idea.

I can see the series being very low scoring but Warner and Smith to piss of the English crowds by setting anchor in at least a couple of tests. Will Anderson be able to last 5 days in about 40 days at his age??

16 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

I can see the series being very low scoring but Warner and Smith to piss of the English crowds by setting anchor in at least a couple of tests. Will Anderson be able to last 5 days in about 40 days at his age??

Yeah, read on BBC that it was Root but not convinced by that. Agree about Anderson, and Jofra, if selected, will find out that Test Match cricket is a lot different to limited overs. Is he fit enough and capable of bowling long spells of 7 or 8 overs at a time?

Looks a bit cloudy on Thursday so not sure if the preferred option would be to bat or have a bowl; might not be a bad toss to lose.

rambothejambo

If the forecast is cloudy then England (assuming they win the toss) would defo bowl. Anderson and Broad are nearly unplayable in certain conditions. Thankfully the Aussies more than match them in the bowling and fielding head to heads and are a better batting team. I don't see many of the five tests going to five days, 3-1 for the Aussies.

52 minutes ago, rambothejambo said:

If the forecast is cloudy then England (assuming they win the toss) would defo bowl. Anderson and Broad are nearly unplayable in certain conditions. Thankfully the Aussies more than match them in the bowling and fielding head to heads and are a better batting team. I don't see many of the five tests going to five days, 3-1 for the Aussies.

It's still muggy as hell down here so as others have said it could be a good toss to lose as it takes a brave captain to put the opposition into bat. Especially on the first day of the Ashes.

Maroon Sailor

This needs to start - sick of SKY bringing up the ball tampering time and time again. They like to kick the arse out of a story and stir the pot.

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

This needs to start - sick of SKY bringing up the ball tampering time and time again. They like to kick the arse out of a story and stir the pot.

Honestly brings a smile to my face still.
"Boo hoo, we got caught cheating"

image.png.69f3168e69c21d44968df5a19adc5028.png
image.png.0e74603e153b0599838a9e45dbb2a002.png

Archer not starting !

I wonder if England will put the Aussies in if they win the toss? 

Could be a very interesting morning going by the weather forecast.

25 minutes ago, robbo1874 said:

Archer not starting !

I wonder if England will put the Aussies in if they win the toss? 

Could be a very interesting morning going by the weather forecast.

Yip.

Both sides have good bowling attacks.  England's middle order is (on paper) better than the Aussies, but Warner & Smith can anchor an innings.  Can Root?

On 26/07/2019 at 16:03, Boris said:

By sheer chance I’m off over the first test. Bliss!

Bit of the old trouble with my knee again so signed off for the rest off the week:whistling:

Just now, JWL said:

Bit of the old trouble with my knee again so signed off for the rest off the week:whistling:

:fonzie:

I genuinely didn't realise this was on when I booked the leave.

8 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

You have to be careful with recurring knee injuries. 

I'd give until mid September just to be on the safe side.

😉

Pretty much what the doc said this morning:)

57 minutes ago, Boris said:

Yip.

Both sides have good bowling attacks.  England's middle order is (on paper) better than the Aussies, but Warner & Smith can anchor an innings.  Can Root?

Root going to 3 really weakens England imo. Quick wicket and the middle order is exposed.

Love the first morning of the Ashes. 

A big decision whoever wins the toss.

Can't see a full Ashes preview scheduled anywhere for tonight; thought there would have been something, or am I missing this somehow?

25 minutes ago, JWL said:

Hearing that Peter Siddle is in for Mitchell Starc. Not sure about that one.

Siddle has bowled well in England this season - 34 wickets in 8 matches at an average of 20.09. Essex will definitely miss him in their quest for the County Championship.

9 minutes ago, Lee_Mellon said:

Siddle has bowled well in England this season - 34 wickets in 8 matches at an average of 20.09. Essex will definitely miss him in their quest for the County Championship.

I wasn't aware of his actual stats but knew he must have been bowling well to be back in the Test squad. Australia aren't announcing their team until the toss so could be dependent on the pitch for either Siddle or Starc. If it's a flat track would expect Starc, but anything else it looks like Siddle.

Harry Palmer

Ah, TMS on the radio. 

Lovely stuff. :)

England lose the toss, Australia batting first.

Edited by Harry Palmer

34 minutes ago, Harry Palmer said:

Ah, TMS on the radio. 

Lovely stuff. :)

England lose the toss, Australia batting first.

Having to make do with the OBO on the Guardian.

I'll offer a prediction. By the end of the 3rd test Tim Paine will be dropped. And Steve Smith will be captain. 

Good start. Aussies stabilise things and Anderson injured. But England still have the momentum. Big session now. 

letsalldothebeattie
46 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I'll offer a prediction. By the end of the 3rd test Tim Paine will be dropped. And Steve Smith will be captain

Good start. Aussies stabilise things and Anderson injured. But England still have the momentum. Big session now. 

This wouldn’t surprise me 

I P Knightley
On 30/07/2019 at 15:25, Notts1874 said:

He managed 4 overs :lol:

England to be batting today? 😱

And that lbw was also going down! 

Low scoring test matches are always the most interesting.

Really have to see how England bat when they in.

Excellent first day so far.

Harry Palmer
8 minutes ago, robbo1874 said:

England to be batting today? 😱

And that lbw was also going down! 

Low scoring test matches are always the most interesting.

Really have to see how England bat when they in.

Excellent first day so far.

England will be batting today. 

Aus 122-8

4 minutes ago, Harry Palmer said:

England will be batting today. 

Aus 122-8

They need to get a good start. 

There'll be nerves at the top of the order if they lose early wickets.

From the radio commentary, it sounds like this Test is being umpired by the cricket equivalent of Madden and Beaton. Four decisions changed by DRS, 2 others that were wrong but not reviewed after only 47 overs.