Rangers- all inclusive....

Bazzas right boot

20 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

The bigger issue is these aren’t 90 minute bigots it’s part of the fabric of Glasgow and the surrounding areas. While many Hearts fans of a certain age grew up with Hearts being part of this problem most (I’d hope) have moved on and what we have is a small minority who try and carry that on, I’ll bet though in most cases it doesn’t effect their day to day life and they don’t really understand or believe in that pish and most will grow out of it. That just isn’t the case for the very large majority of old firm fans particularly those from or associated with the west. Sadly we are at least 2 generations away from this ending IMO.

It’s definitely a far reduced number now at Hearts. Unfortunately there are a few sad old groomers determined to get new recruits onboard. The guy who fancies Tommy Robinson and his pathetic entourage for example.

Overall though, it’s just a blip in a longer term trend that has been moving in the right direction. 👍

15 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

If a city has to constantly actually tell you how friendly it is it can’t be that ****ing friendly.

I get the same feeling about this PR move

Murder capital, and friendliest capital in the same year as well 

2 minutes ago, farin said:

If people just stopped projecting their own religious & political views onto a football team/club they follow that would be a start tbh. Lots of us already do that, it’s not that hard imo. 

Indeed.

24 minutes ago, farin said:

We’ve heard all this stuff before tbh. A lot of it depends on the circles you move in too. 

It absolutely was changing and had been doing so for a while. c2010 the arseholes started feeling more legitimate again, and almost a decade later, we are where we are.

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

tolcross lad
55 minutes ago, farin said:

We’ve heard all this stuff before tbh. A lot of it depends on the circles you move in too. 

I am not sure that I had heard all this "stuff" before it was written last year.It confirms my own experience over the years.I am not saying there is not a problem but I go with Devines arguments.Rangers can see the writing on the wall.

Bazzas right boot

The thing with Rangers is now they sign players from all backgrounds and religions.  Have done for 30 years. 

That Negri lad was a Catholic, used to cross himself after a goal. Maurice I think was one too. 🤔

How do the fans think it makes these guys feel and what's the thinking behind shouting fenine songs at celtic fans, then celebrating a goal when a "fenine" scores for you.. 

I think Gerrard is a Catholic and Morelos is too? 

It's as unhinged as shouting racist abuse at the opposition while your own team has black players. 

Even, ignoring the general racism issue, how can you do it when your own players are black, it makes even less sense. 

I can't twist my Melon around the thinking in any shape or form around certain fans or groups thinking. 

The club probably has a plan, but even with the above examples they will be pissing against the wind for the time being, anyway. 

John Findlay

Another initiative to keep the government at bay. Change. Not until they start doing what they have threatened and ban and take away season cards.

spirt of 98

I thought this was a thread about the place all those knuckle draggers in Rangers taps at the airport go on holiday.

I had a vision of Iron Brew on draft alongside Buckie and all you can eat Greggs on the resort. The entertainment being a good old rendition of the party songs followed by a square go. 

But I assume all those twats I see at the airport just go to the 2 star hotels and that’s why I do t see them in my hotel 😂

22 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Hearts are tackling the issue head on. 

The Scottish government also tried. 

Both got/get abuse for it. 

The SFA, rangers and celtic have done nothing as you say. 

One shite bit of legislation, rushed to the statutes. 

6 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

One shite bit of legislation, rushed to the statutes. 

Labour/Celtic got it scrapped because they knew it would paint them in a bad light.

52 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Labour/Celtic got it scrapped because they knew it would paint them in a bad light.

A myth I'm afraid. Surely you don't think the old firm have that much control over Scottish Govt? If they do we need to panic

8 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

A myth I'm afraid. Surely you don't think the old firm have that much control over Scottish Govt? If they do we need to panic

They don't have control over the Scottish Government, no. They do however represent a large percentage of the people who live here, sadly. Both Celtic and Rangers are very much 'lifestyle clubs' in Scotland, and they represent a mindset where many of their supporters align their football club, religious beliefs and political outlook.

Keeping Celtic or rangers onside, is a genuine concern for some political parties up here, because they don't want to risk losing their votes.

Bazzas right boot
23 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I'd be more afraid of a government that doesn't challenge these things. The SNP tried to challenge the nasty side of  football culture

Labour and other parties where against it, without any alternative so we are back to square one. I wonder why they were opposed to it so much and were happy to go back to "normal"

I, personally would  be more afraid of the latter

Anyway, a bit of topic, at least Rangers, on paper are challenging it. Good luck to them, but it will be a long road if they are genuine about it.

If not, it ticks a few boxes as a due diligence exercise.

Time will tell.

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

3 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

They don't have control over the Scottish Government, no. They do however represent a large percentage of the people who live here, sadly. Both Celtic and Rangers are very much 'lifestyle clubs' in Scotland, and they represent a mindset where many of their supporters align their football club, religious beliefs and political outlook.

Keeping Celtic or rangers onside, is a genuine concern for some political parties up here, because they don't want to risk losing their votes.

2 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

I'd be more afraid of a government that doesn't challenge these things. The SNP tried to challenge the nasty side of  football culture

Labour and other parties where against it, without any alternative so we are back to square one. I wonder why they were opposed to it so much and were happy to go back to "normal"

I, personally would  be more afraid of the latter

Anyway, a bit of topic, at least Rangers, on paper are challenging it. Good luck to them, but it will be a long road if they are genuine about it.

If not, it ticks a few boxes as a due diligence exercise.

Time will tell.

There was, and still is, legislation in place that makes it an offence to be sectarian, racist, homophobic etc. etc. etc. The trouble with the legislation was that anything could be deemed offensive even if nobody was offended. eg wearing yes or no badges. The famous case of the free Palestine T shirt  and whether singing the National Anthem of the UK could really be deemed offensive and a criminal offensive in the UK. That's why the legislation was repealed, it challenged the right to Freedom of speech. 

I'm a tad suspicious of Rangers motivation but why not give it a chance as you say.

On 22/07/2019 at 23:29, Icon of Symmetry said:

They are very late to this party. Celtic have been absolutely destroying them in the PR war for a few decades now. Finally realised ‘no-one likes is, we don’t care’, is not a good business model.

Celtic on the back foot a bit just now due to the child abuse saga. 

I would get rid of all orange in club colours, do a new green third strip and introduce an annual players visit to Lourdes and the Vatican. 

10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Celtic on the back foot a bit just now due to the child abuse saga. 

Yeah, that’s a point. Overall though in my experience, folk from out-with Scotland are aware of Rangers supporters being scummy, but have an inaccurate romantic impression of Celtic fans.

132goals1958

Staggering but true--- Old Rangers were once recognised as one of the pillars of Scottish Society alongside the Church of Scotland, the Scottish judiciary and for the life me I can,t remember the others. No laughing at the back of the class please. 

WheatfieldWarrior
3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

I would get rid of all orange in club colours, do a new green third strip and introduce an annual players visit to Lourdes and the Vatican. 

Rangers and Celtic half-and-half tops, scarfs and flags would be a belter.

On 23/07/2019 at 08:09, 132goals1958 said:

Sums them up. Avoid them like the plague when you’re abroad on holiday. Within the first couple of minutes you will learn they are guid Rangers / Celtic men but dinnae get me wrang some o there best friends are catholic/ protestant

But if you hang around the mask will always slip, there hatred always without fail will rise to the surface, from Jakies to Lawyers the bigotry is always there

3 hours ago, jbee647 said:

But if you hang around the mask will always slip, there hatred always without fail will rise to the surface, from Jakies to Lawyers the bigotry is always there

Good point.

Why it should always be stamped out.