Moroccan Sausages.

Harry Potter

Harry Potter

Bought a 12 pack of Moroccan sausages from Tescos yesterday, they are superb, full of spicy

flavour and good pork, anyone else tried them.

d2b9a3aa-41ba-4cf3-a241-513d0258681e.jpeg

Harry Potter
4 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

No but I used to love a merguez frites baguette when in France.  I'm sure our resident grenouille likes them too.

Are they spicy Harold?   

Yes but not overspiced, just right.

Similar to Merguez which we get here. They can be really quite spicy but are a wee bit greasy/oily though.

Absolutely delicious, we love them!

As @BarneyBattles said above, quite scrumptious in a baguette with frites and an ice cold beer or three.

2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Bought a 12 pack of Moroccan sausages from Tescos yesterday, they are superb, full of spicy

flavour and good pork, anyone else tried them.

d2b9a3aa-41ba-4cf3-a241-513d0258681e.jpeg

Artexed the toilet, yet? 

Just now, Harry Potter said:

Not that hot bud, lovely mild spices.

I'll grab a pack. I need protein, now I've hit the gym, again. 👍

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

I'll grab a pack. I need protein, now I've hit the gym, again. 👍

Dont overdo it bud.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Artexed the toilet, yet? 

You need to have some proper Mexican food in Arizona, mate. You'll halfway finish a remodel of the entire plumbing system. :rofl:

Edited by Justin Z

Samuel Camazzola
15 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

You need to have some proper Mexican food in Arizona, mate. You'll halfway finish a remodel of the entire plumbing system. :rofl:

How would your plumbing system you kindly shared with us cope with the food in Arizona? 😂

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

How would your plumbing system you kindly shared with us cope with the food in Arizona? 😂

:lol: Oh man, I think I'd have to hope it was a dual system with two separate sets of pipes!

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

:lol: Oh man, I think I'd have to hope it was a dual system with two separate sets of pipes!

We need to see that picture again for a Monday perk-up! 😄 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

We need to see that picture again for a Monday perk-up! 😄 

Haha. I would have to go digging for it. I probably should've taken a photo of the plant that was growing out of my rain gutter too. Wonder if I can find the 1970s hob and oven in my photos as well. I swear, the touchups I've had to do to this house . . . I do love this little place though.

31 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

With proper Mexican food Justin, it’s probably the body that needs the two sets of pipes as opposed to the bog!

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Dont overdo it bud.

He’s used to having a gippy tummy, Harold.

He drinks cider.  :) 

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

With proper Mexican food Justin, it’s probably the body that needs the two sets of pipes as opposed to the bog!

That's actually a great point, Morgan.

Saw this in Lupe Pinto's last time I was in there . . . maybe you should stop in, next time you're in Auld Reekie :rofl:

1309AA__52124.1563672104.jpg

1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

That's actually a great point, Morgan.

Saw this in Lupe Pinto's last time I was in there . . . maybe you should stop in, next time you're in Auld Reekie :rofl:

1309AA__52124.1563672104.jpg

We go to Lupes every time we are in Edinburgh.  We’ve known the guy who owns it for over 20 years (Dougie) and always pop in to say hello.

4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

We go to Lupes every time we are in Edinburgh.  We’ve known the guy who owns it for over 20 years (Dougie) and always pop in to say hello.

Ah that's great! Well then you have every reason to take a bottle of that stuff back with you to Froggier climes. :thumbsup:

Harry Potter
39 minutes ago, Morgan said:

He’s used to having a gippy tummy, Harold.

He drinks cider.  :) 

Gives me heartburn, only if i drink too much of it:sad:

34 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Gives me heartburn, only if i drink too much of it:sad:

Two solutions for that Master Potter.

Gaviscon.

or

Dont drink too much.

Personally, I would combine the two by drinking way too much then necking a bottle of Gaviscon.  :lol: 

Harry Potter
34 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Two solutions for that Master Potter.

Gaviscon.

or

Dont drink too much.

Personally, I would combine the two by drinking way too much then necking a bottle of Gaviscon.  :lol: 

👍

Do The Dance

Shouldn’t Moroccan inspired sausages have a little less pork in them? 😄

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Greasy and oily ? 

The Eyeties must love them. 

Could I be banned for this? 

1.Yes, when cooking them, they ooze a red coloured grease which we drain off.

2.The Eyeties are too busy preening themselves in the mirror to look at the Merguez.

3. Hopefully not.

Seymour M Hersh
48 minutes ago, Morgan said:

1.Yes, when cooking them, they ooze a red coloured grease which we drain off.

2.The Eyeties are too busy preening themselves in the mirror to look at the Merguez.

3. Hopefully not.

The sausages in the OP look very similar to cooking chorizo sausages. 

As an aside do you know where in Edinburgh you can get good Toulouse sausages?

30 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Yes, they do look like cooking chorizos.

Crombies in Broughton Street definitely do Toulouse sausages, and I would hazard a gues at Christie’s in Bruntsfield (opposite Montpeliers), or maybe Saundersons at Tollcross.

the general
4 hours ago, Morgan said:

He is a good lad ex BT 

Set up a strike canteena back in the day

If any of you are up the the Edinburgh food fest up at George square gardens then buy the Free The Chilli scotch bonnet sauces 

. They are hot 

1 minute ago, the general said:

He is a good lad ex BT 

Set up a strike canteena back in the day

If any of you are up the the Edinburgh food fest up at George square gardens then buy the Free The Chilli scotch bonnet sauces 

. They are hot 

Do you remember when he worked in the Coconut Grove At Thornybauk with his pal Ritchie, many moons ago?

41 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Just been thinking, I think Waitrose do them too.

the general
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Do you remember when he worked in the Coconut Grove At Thornybauk with his pal Ritchie, many moons ago?

Yup that's where the strike canteen was ... handy for canon house and s few other sites

1 minute ago, the general said:

Yup that's where the strike canteen was ... handy for canon house and s few other sites

It was a great wee restauarant, we loved it.

BYOB just clinched it too!

the general
6 minutes ago, Morgan said:

It was a great wee restauarant, we loved it.

BYOB just clinched it too!

A wee trek to toilets 

Governor Tarkin
4 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Greasy and oily ? 

The Eyeties must love them. 

Could I be banned for this? 

My Eyetie ancestry would approve of this generalisation.

Totally acceptable.

We need more casual racism imo.

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

My Eyetie ancestry were largely circus and travelling show folk, so they would be too busy out on the rob under cover of darkness or conducting some pagan/witchcraft type ceremonies to be preening in the mirror.

I cannot comment on their position on spicy mutton-based sausage.

Funny, Moroccans don't eat a lot of pork.

Israeli bacon anyone?  Saudi gin? ****ing supermarkets.

And I'll bet they're spicy, which Moroccan food is not.

Governor Tarkin
29 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I visited a brewery in Pakistan once.

They also produce a 20 year old single malt.

the general
13 hours ago, Morgan said:

Was it not called something else when he worked there?

9 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I visited a brewery in Pakistan once.

They also produce a 20 year old single malt.

I used to live 5 mins from a pork butcher in Rabat. Tescos are still shite

3 hours ago, the general said:

Was it not called something else when he worked there?

Not to our knowledge, general.

We remember Dougie, Ritchie and Ritchie’s wife all working in the Coconut Grove at the same time.

I think it was just before the three of them set off on a walking trip to Mexico and the USA to pick up cooking tips.  They wrote a book about it, the name of which eludes me at the mo.

I was talking to my wife about this today, we can’t work out what you meant with your comment about the toilets being a trek?  Were they perhaps outside the premises at some point?  That’s all we can think of, although not to our memory they weren’t.

the general
4 hours ago, Morgan said:

Not to our knowledge, general.

We remember Dougie, Ritchie and Ritchie’s wife all working in the Coconut Grove at the same time.

I think it was just before the three of them set off on a walking trip to Mexico and the USA to pick up cooking tips.  They wrote a book about it, the name of which eludes me at the mo.

I was talking to my wife about this today, we can’t work out what you meant with your comment about the toilets being a trek?  Were they perhaps outside the premises at some point?  That’s all we can think of, although not to our memory they weren’t.

It was Pachuko cantina 

You had to walk through the kitchen to get to the one ? Toilet ...heat of kitchen made floor really slippery depending on footwear 

Don’t mean to hijack the thread but does anyone know anywhere in Edinburgh that sells Nduja? Been getting my fix from Amazon. 

Don't know for def but he very surprised if Valvonas at Elm Row doesn't have it.

Make yer own! Pretty easy (not as easy as buying it obv!)

14 hours ago, rael11 said:

Don’t mean to hijack the thread but does anyone know anywhere in Edinburgh that sells Nduja? Been getting my fix from Amazon. 

Valvona and Crolla, Harvey Nicks and Waitrose in Morningside, as far as I’m aware.  Waitrose definitely stocked it a few years back.

Francis Albert
On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 23:23, TheBigO said:

Moroccan food not spicy?

It is highly spiced. It is not normally mouth burningly hotly spiced but it would not be Moroccan food if it was not spicy. And the ubiquitous spice markets and stalls in Morocco would not do much business.

I love merguez sausages but the Tesco version looks nothing like any merguez sausage I have seen. The words "Moroccan Inspired" on the label is a warning as are the shape and colour of the contents.

But if people enjoy them ...

4 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Moroccan food not spicy?

It is highly spiced. It is not normally mouth burningly hotly spiced but it would not be Moroccan food if it was not spicy. And the ubiquitous spice markets and stalls in Morocco would not do much business.

I love merguez sausages but the Tesco version looks nothing like any merguez sausage I have seen. The words "Moroccan Inspired" on the label is a warning as are the shape and colour of the contents.

But if people enjoy them ...

Aye I'd probably like them too is the thing, I just hate supermarket/food industry hyperbole. It drives me daft. Spend more money on the food and less on the marketing!

Anyway, I mean spicy as in "hot and...". Other that harissa, no Moroccan food is particularly hot. If course their spice range and blends are amazing but aromatics like cumin, coriander and caraway dominate ras el hanout.

BTW, I'm a chef who lived and worked in Morocco for 3 years!!! Should prob mention. You're teaching a cobbler about shoes here, or a hibby aboot meth!

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Aye I'd probably like them too is the thing, I just hate supermarket/food industry hyperbole. It drives me daft. Spend more money on the food and less on the marketing!

Anyway, I mean spicy as in "hot and...". Other that harissa, no Moroccan food is particularly hot. If course their spice range and blends are amazing but aromatics like cumin, coriander and caraway dominate ras el hanout.

BTW, I'm a chef who lived and worked in Morocco for 3 years!!! Should prob mention. You're teaching a cobbler about shoes here, or a hibby aboot meth!

Fair enough!

the general

An aside but if anyone likes hot sauces there is a great new Edinburgh company called Free The chilli that does a lovely scotch bonnet sauce 

On 23/07/2019 at 23:04, rael11 said:

I’m glad you posted this on Tuesday.

I had forgotten how much we used to like Nduja until now. We went out and bought some this morning and it’s still brilliant!

CF64121E-8DED-46D6-A4DC-0CD71D48230E.jpeg

5 hours ago, Morgan said:

I’m glad you posted this on Tuesday.

I had forgotten how much we used to like Nduja until now. We went out and bought some this morning and it’s still brilliant!

CF64121E-8DED-46D6-A4DC-0CD71D48230E.jpeg

I have it on almost everything when I have some. Awesome on pizza or stirred into a bolognaise. 

2 minutes ago, rael11 said:

I have it on almost everything when I have some. Awesome on pizza or stirred into a bolognaise. 

Sounds good!  :thumbsup: