Star Trek: Picard

Justin Z

Had chills throughout the intro. Stopped midway through the episode just to sit and let everything Jean-Luc Picard represents wash over me--and note that the episode had gotten that kind of reaction out of me.

It's definitely not TNG 2.0--it's modern and much different. Definitely doesn't have to be a bad thing. I thought it was a bit weak at times as far as McGuffin-chasing and just inserting convenient plot points in without explanation. But is a Star Trek I want to watch back? Yes, I do think so, for the first time in over 20 years. Fingers optimistically crossed.

Better call Saul

I enjoyed it.... Thought the part at the end with sister talking to some guy was like a shot out of love boat. 

But as it scanned away.... I was like OMFG... Why? WTF hurry up next episode . 

• 2 weeks later...

Still prefer the Orvil over anything Trek has produced since TNG..hopefully Picard brings Trek back from the scrap heap.as discovery is pish

Picard has been good so far. Love me a conspiracy thriller.

Never even bothered with Discovery season 2 as season 1 was awful.

The Orville is the most Star Trek show on the telly. Seth McFarlane understands Star Trek far better than anybody actually involved with Star Trek.

• 3 years later...

Season Three has been what this show should have been from the very start.

There are still some dodgy moments in the writing and action scenes but it's solid sci-fi and a good continuation of TNG.

Season One started off ok then veered off into bonkers land.

Season Two was a complete car crash/dumpster fire/train wreck.

The Hogfather
12 minutes ago, Cade said:

Season Three has been what this show should have been from the very start.

This. Bringing the seven of them back together is exactly what we should’ve got from the very get go. It might be nothing more than fan service but some of the moments they’ve had so far easily rank among the best moments in Star Trek history. 

5 hours ago, The Hogfather said:

This. Bringing the seven of them back together is exactly what we should’ve got from the very get go. It might be nothing more than fan service but some of the moments they’ve had so far easily rank among the best moments in Star Trek history. 

S3 has been way better than 1 or 2.  The conversation between Data and Picard in last night's programme linked right back to an episode from 1990, and even brought to mind one of my favourite moments from the first season of The West Wing.  There are loads of references back to TNG, and even some homages to the original Star Trek movies.  The whole thing is well done, and a real treat for people who watched TNG from start to finish back in the late 80s / early 90s.

I lost momentum 3/4 through series one which was frustrating as I was hugely into TNG. 

Is it possible to jump to series 3 of Picard or should I sit through what I’ve struggled to get into? 

23 minutes ago, SecN said:

I lost momentum 3/4 through series one which was frustrating as I was hugely into TNG. 

Is it possible to jump to series 3 of Picard or should I sit through what I’ve struggled to get into? 

You're really not missing much by going straight to Season Three.

They've essentially rebooted the whole thing, retconned out as much as they could and only make passing references to what they couldn't.

The only thing you really need to know is that Picard himself is a robot with Picard's memories. Trying to retcon that particular bit of stupidity was just too difficult.

The Hogfather
2 hours ago, SecN said:

Noonien Soong also had a son who created the Picard robot clone. He also had a copy of Data’s personality. That’ll make more sense when you watch S3. 

The Hogfather
3 hours ago, Ulysses said:

S3 has been way better than 1 or 2.  The conversation between Data and Picard in last night's programme linked right back to an episode from 1990, and even brought to mind one of my favourite moments from the first season of The West Wing.  There are loads of references back to TNG, and even some homages to the original Star Trek movies.  The whole thing is well done, and a real treat for people who watched TNG from start to finish back in the late 80s / early 90s.

The ending to todays episode

Spoiler

With them returning to the Enterprise D is possibly my favourite TV moment ever. The Enterprise with the most TV time getting the airing she deserves.

1 hour ago, The Hogfather said:

Reveal hidden contents

With them returning to the Enterprise D is possibly my favourite TV moment ever. The Enterprise with the most TV time getting the airing she deserves.

Matalas has been a breath of fresh air as show-runner and almost removes the bad taste of some of the crap Kurtzman thinks is Trek. 

He knows to center enough of the action on the ships themselves, which he kunderstands are basically characters. Also the writing has grown the TNG characters nicely and added some decent additions. 

I don't mind the bits of fan service, it mostly earns them. 

2 hours ago, The Hogfather said:

Hide contents

Indeed.  

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

Matalas has been a breath of fresh air as show-runner and almost removes the bad taste of some of the crap Kurtzman thinks is Trek. 

He knows to center enough of the action on the ships themselves, which he kunderstands are basically characters. Also the writing has grown the TNG characters nicely and added some decent additions. 

I don't mind the bits of fan service, it mostly earns them. 

Matalas has done a great job, IMO.

Quite fancy giving Star Trek a shot. Seen most of the movies. Should i just start with the original series? Theres obviously a lot to get through so if theres any series to avoid, it would be nice to know :laugh:

1 hour ago, Pap said:

Quite fancy giving Star Trek a shot. Seen most of the movies. Should i just start with the original series? Theres obviously a lot to get through so if theres any series to avoid, it would be nice to know :laugh:

Tbh I would start with TNG. 

For me the best of all of them though is DS9. The character development and darker tone to it was for me what made it. 

None of them are bad enough to have to avoid. However most will say the Enterprise and voyager are amongst the worst. However they both had their moments of brilliance. 

Best character by and far is Data. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

1 hour ago, Pap said:

The Original Series is very hit&miss.

Remember that it was made in the 1960s and adjust your expectations accordingly.

There are some classic episodes and also a lot of garbage.

The Next Generation is also hit&miss.

The first two seasons were mostly miss but it really hit its stride from S3 onwards.

Overlapping with TNG were Voyager and Deep Space 9, which heralded the "Golden Age of Star Trek". 

Both shows are pretty solid, even though DS9 is pretty much just the same story as Babylon 5.

Enterprise was pish.

Discovery is dogshite.

Picard seasons 1&2 were awful. S3 is good.

Strange New Worlds is good.

The Hogfather
6 hours ago, Pap said:

Avoid Enterprise at all costs. It essentially killed the franchise. 

Try not to take the Original Series too seriously, it’s not aged all that well. It’s pretty campy at the best of times. The Next Generation is peak Star Trek for me. Everything that follows it basically took TNG as inspiration and tried to expand on that. 

Discovery is also shite, so I wouldn’t bother with that. And Lower Decks is good, just different. 

9 hours ago, Pap said:

If you don’t fancy the original series due to its age, at least grab a few episodes including Space Seed, Balance of Terror and City on the Edge of Forever, so that the TOS films make sense. 

TOS movies: The Motion Picture is very 70s sci-fi - ponderous, portentous but actually a good sci-fi movie albeit a bit sterile for Star Trek. Extended edition really makes it a good movie imo.
2 thru 4 make a cracking linked set of adventures - Wrath of Khan is a masterpiece, Search for Spock has Christopher Lloyd as a Klingon and The Voyage Home is the funniest trek movie.
5 - meh
6 - The Undiscovered Country is great, especially Christopher Plummer hamming it up as General Chang. 

Edited by Gizmo

The Hogfather
54 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

6 - The Undiscovered Country is great, especially Christopher Plummer hamming it up as General Chang. 

And his daughter absolutely killing it as Vadic in this season of Picard. 

And his daughter absolutely killing it as Vadic in this season of Picard. 

Zen Worf is amusing, by the way.

The Hogfather
51 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Zen Worf is amusing, by the way.

His line when they were sitting in the Titans observation lounge with everyone else was absolutely incredible :laugh: 

His line when they were sitting in the Titans observation lounge with everyone else was absolutely incredible :laugh: 

Taking the definition of passive-aggressive to completely new heights.  :laugh:

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

I quite liked it. The 'Xindi' were Muslims, though, yeah?

Plus, T'Pol sounds like T'Pau and I'd like a threesome with Jolene Blalock and 1980s Carol Decker.

I'd prefer fictional characters, so if I wasn't past it I'd go for a threesome with Seven of Nine and Dr. Kate Murphy from Body of Proof.  Or maybe alternatively with Veronica Allen from Bosch and Leverage's Tara Cole.

:runaway:

The Hogfather
13 hours ago, jonesy said:

I quite liked it. The 'Xindi' were Muslims, though, yeah?

Plus, T'Pol sounds like T'Pau and I'd like a threesome with Jolene Blalock and 1980s Carol Decker.

I got about 6 episodes into Enterprise before giving it up. Wasn’t interested at all in the story they were telling. So I didn’t see the Xindi arc or the Sphere Builders or any of that shite. 

Retcon central. 

Oh and The Orville is the best Star Trek since DS9 despite not being Star Trek. Tremendous show. 

16 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Oh and The Orville is the best Star Trek since DS9 despite not being Star Trek. Tremendous show. 

:spoton: 

The Orville is immense.

Season 1 was a Star Trek themed parody sitcom.
Season 2 was a comedic Star Trek homage. 
Season 3 was Star Trek with a few jokes.
Each season has lowered the comedy and upped the drama.

Whoever is responsible for commissioning Season 4 needs to pull their head out their erse and get it done.

Edited by Cade

1 hour ago, Cade said:

:spoton: 

The Orville is immense.

Season 1 was a Star Trek themed parody sitcom.
Season 2 was a comedic Star Trek homage. 
Season 3 was Star Trek with a few jokes.
Each season has lowered the comedy and upped the drama.

Whoever is responsible for commissioning Season 4 needs to pull their head out their erse and get it done.

Will be tragic If it doesn’t get at least at least 1 more season. 

The Hogfather
59 minutes ago, The Natural Order said:

Just watched the final episode. Have to say the whole season was overwhelmingly meh.

Funny, I thought it was the best season of Star Trek since the 90’s. 

Although making the Titan into the new Enterprise? Absolutely not for me. 

58 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

Strange New Worlds is far better. Well worth a gander.

The Natural Order
48 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

I just feel it was all style over substance.

For me it was just a series of cameos and references to TNG, DS9 and Voyager. All for the fanboy wank bank. It offered little in way of story.

Take ep 9 for example. Nobody gave a toss about the story. They were too busy creaming themselves over the D.

There was some far better stuff in SNW.

All just my opinion of course.  I'm glad if others enjoyed it. Keeps the franchise alive.

The Hogfather
4 minutes ago, Cade said:

Strange New Worlds is far better. Well worth a gander.

SNW was outstanding. Far, far better than Disco. 

3 minutes ago, The Natural Order said:

I just feel it was all style over substance.

For me it was just a series of cameos and references to TNG, DS9 and Voyager. All for the fanboy wank bank. It offered little in way of story.

Take ep 9 for example. Nobody gave a toss about the story. They were too busy creaming themselves over the D.

There was some far better stuff in SNW.

All just my opinion of course.  I'm glad if others enjoyed it. Keeps the franchise alive.

It was what Picard should’ve been. I don’t care about the seemingly endless callbacks, there were plenty callbacks in TNG, DS9 and Voyager anyway. 

SNW was also brilliant, but a different kind of show to what SNW tried to be. The more Star Trek we have the better imo, especially if it’s going to have different formulas to it. 

18 hours ago, The Hogfather said:

SNW was outstanding. Far, far better than Disco. 

It was what Picard should’ve been. I don’t care about the seemingly endless callbacks, there were plenty callbacks in TNG, DS9 and Voyager anyway. 

SNW was also brilliant, but a different kind of show to what SNW tried to be. The more Star Trek we have the better imo, especially if it’s going to have different formulas to it. 

Havent tried strange new worlds yet but discovery I gave up. The spore drive is just technology that would ultimately make a race invincible. 

Dean Winchester
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Havent tried strange new worlds yet but discovery I gave up. The spore drive is just technology that would ultimately make a race invincible. 

The only good thing about Discovery was the introduction of the SNW cast.

The Hogfather
2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

SNW is classic Star Trek shenanigans in space. Goes back to the golden formula of episodic TV with a new story each time. Anson Mount is excellent as Captain Pike. Well worth a watch. 

Star Trek the original is good when you sit down and try to watch it. It takes a bit of getting back into.

TNG I can watch on a loop.

Mac_fae_Gillie

At the end my only thought was I can't believe Jeri Ryan is 55years old.

Found Picard season 2 and more so season 3 very heavy on sentiment seemed to repeat the same thing every episode, darn it the boy had a mother yet was so alone jeez.

Graphics great story great little too heavy on sentiment as mentioned and I hope it has concluded the Picard stories.

Maybe the new (Titan) Enterprise will get a series as the crew already have back stories and they have a set made etc. And of course that would of course give a few cameos to likes of Picard.