Do other clubs have our problems getting players fit..?

Section Q

We always seem to start our season with some sort of handicap.

Aberdeen/Ranger/Celtic are already competing in Euro qualifiers and according to Levein we only have one fit striker. Let's hope he's bluffing and it's part of his game plan.

https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/news/hearts-levein-strikers-fitness-hard/

""Hearts manager Craig Levein has admitted that “it’s hard” trying to get all of his attackers fit and ready ahead of the new league campaign – and believes that Steven MacLean is the only one in a good spot.""

Injuries are common in sport. Most people are carrying 'nigging' injuries. Professional sports people more so. And then a lack of rest prevents proper recovery. 

Levein was on the radio before the Cowdenbeath saying that different players take a different number of games to get "match ready". He said he was the same as a player. 

And the ex players on the show all said it took them a different number of games, Neil McCann said he felt ready from game one and the other guy saying it took up to five games before he felt at it. 

So not really a Hearts thing and no reason to think it is something that we are doing as a club.

Gene Parmesan
1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Why is washington not up to speed? He seems to have been with us for a good few weeks?

Because he barely kicked a baw last season. Levein is not just talking physical fitness, he's talking about match sharpness. 

20 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Another sad attempt to put the boot in...just makes you sad for those posters

Twice in one day 🤔

13 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Injuries are common in sport. Most people are carrying 'nigging' injuries. Professional sports people more so. And then a lack of rest prevents proper recovery. 

When you are in great condition you really do pick up far more niggles. Don’t let you pointing that out detract from the craziness people will come out with in this thread tho 😂

Cruyff Turn
15 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

8 minutes ago, leith_dude said:

Levein was on the radio before the Cowdenbeath saying that different players take a different number of games to get "match ready". He said he was the same as a player. 

And the ex players on the show all said it took them a different number of games, Neil McCann said he felt ready from game one and the other guy saying it took up to five games before he felt at it. 

So not really a Hearts thing and no reason to think it is something that we are doing as a club.

4 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Because he barely kicked a baw last season. Levein is not just talking physical fitness, he's talking about match sharpness. 

:spoton:

Jambof3tornado
9 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Wasnt sure if he arrived with a knock or was just later coming in. Think he'll come good for us and get at least 12 to 15 goals in the season.

Absolute Scenes
27 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Why is washington not up to speed? He seems to have been with us for a good few weeks?

Washington is up to speed

just because he hasn’t scored doesn’t mean he isn’t match fit. You’ve obviously not watched any games so far

CloustonHMFC

Yes they do and it’s only got worse since competitive games now start half way through July, before that you’d play two friendlies or so in a week where you could change the full team at half time to give players run outs. It’s not all about physical fitness but match fitness too. 

If Steve McLean is the only striker fit then that’s pretty poor. It’s two weeks tomorrow until the start of the season, they should be getting close to match sharpness by now. I’m not a Levein hater but his comments are concerning. 

Jambof3tornado
19 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

just because he hasn’t scored doesn’t mean he isn’t match fit. You’ve obviously not watched any games so far

I wasnt saying he isnt up to speed,I was quoting our manager. I thought he'd looked decent so far so was surprised at the gaffers comments.

21 minutes ago, greggy123 said:

If Steve McLean is the only striker fit then that’s pretty poor. It’s two weeks tomorrow until the start of the season, they should be getting close to match sharpness by now. I’m not a Levein hater but his comments are concerning. 

Agree it's his comments that are concerning. As mentioned it might just be gamesmanship. Hope so. 

Jambof3tornado
2 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Agree it's his comments that are concerning. As mentioned it might just be gamesmanship. Hope so. 

His comments could be to simply squeeze a wee bit more effort out of the players.

The uche getting an injection in his knee is a worry! Hopefully nothing thats going to hamper him for long.

3fingersreid

Always puzzles me how guys like Uche and before him Defries  both built like brick out houses seem to pick up niggles frequently , yet guys like Zeefuik and Fulton whilst not blessed with the same physique never seem to have the same problem . Is it possible to be too muscle toned ? 

Anyway to answer the OP , yes other teams have issues too . 

Portable Badger

Here's an article from This is Anfield re their training programmes

Liverpool FC pre-season: The importance of methodology & individualised programmes

2019-07-17-141-Liverpool_USA_Tour_Day_2-324x235.jpg

As the Reds step up training intensity Stateside, sports fitness expert Dr. Rajpal Brar reveals the importance of methodical pre-season training for Liverpool players’ fitness, health, and performance.

Liverpool’s pre-season training has begun—albeit with some notable absences with players still on international duty—with players and staff presenting to Melwood two weeks ago for their first sessions.

These sessions are critical for a number of reasons: to re-establish fitness levels, establish chemistry between players and staff and amongst one another, extra time for technique and skill work particularly for younger players, the start of positional and bench-or-starter battles, more information for the coaching staff to decide on player roles and implement new strategies, principles, philosophy, and so on.

In this piece, I’ll detail some of the intricacies of pre-season planning, including the importance of methodical progressions, individual player programming and how it fits into the total picture of the season.

The importance of a methodical approach

BRADFORD, ENGLAND - Saturday, July 13, 2019: Liverpool's manager Jürgen Klopp before a pre-season friendly match between Bradford City AFC and Liverpool FC at Valley Parade. (Pic by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

When it comes to fitness and health—two foundations of performance—the planning of pre-season training intensity and quantity is key.

As I touched on in my last piece, extended rest after the season is critical for footballer health but it also comes with a natural hit to fitness with the mind and body acclimating to lower levels of activity.

This is part of the season why you see players with limited pre-season training having slower starts to the season, like Mo Salah last year after his summer was taken up playing for Egypt in the World Cup.

Mohamed Salah of Egypt during the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations Finals match between Egypt and Zimbabwe at Cairo International Stadium, Cairo, Egypt on 21 June 2019 ©Samuel Shivambu/BackpagePix ( Samuel Shivambu/Sports Inc/PA Images)

For those reasons, pre-season training quantity and intensity needs to be ramped up carefully and methodically with respect to those lower levels of fitness.

A player being undertrained and then doing “too much, too soon” is one of the most common causes of injury, particularly for soft tissue (muscle, tendon, ligament) injuries, as excess stress on a tissue will overload the capacity of the tissue leading to a higher risk for injury.

Additionally, certain mind-body systems such as the proprioceptivesystem—which is responsible for the body’s unconscious awareness of itself in space—also need to be re-trained.

proprioception-Credit-University-of-Utah

To both those points, there’s a significant uptick in injuries when players come back from extended breaks—and research shows that when training ramps up too quickly past the point players are currently equipped to handle, the risk for soft tissue injuries goes up by nearly seven times in the current week and nearly 10 times in the subsequent week of training.

For more info on that, look up “acute to chronic workload ratio.”

In other words, higher fitness levels have to be earned back and therefore the pre-season training schedule needs to reflect that, with a slow-step progression rather than jumping headfirst into the deep end.

step-wise-progression-600x400.jpeg

Based on what I know about Liverpool’s medical, training and sports science staff, along with their coaching staff’s consideration of player health—led by Jurgen Klopp’s uniquely detailed understanding for a manager—I have no doubt the Reds’ training progressions have been methodically detailed and planned to crescendo at the opening of their Premier League campaign.

Individualised programming

Although pre-season training applies to the entire team with specific health and fitness goals and benchmarks in mind, each player has their own respective needs and unique qualities.

These need to be built into, and tailored for, in the programming, whether that’s due to recent injury history, extended playing time (from the previous season or summer tournaments), positional demands, skill development goals and so on.

To help illustrate that, let’s take a look at two players on different sides of the coin.

BRADFORD, ENGLAND - Saturday, July 13, 2019: Liverpool's Adam Lallana during a pre-season friendly match between Bradford City AFC and Liverpool FC at Valley Parade. (Pic by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

With Adam Lallana, who had multiple recurring soft tissue injuries during the season but was able to find some steady consistency in health towards the latter third of 18/19, the training staff may opt to maintain a higher level of training intensity and quantity.

This would be to keep building on the base he acquired from his relatively healthy period. His programming may tilt towards more advanced strength and cardiovascular training.

On the other hand, for Sadio Mane who is still currently playing for Senegal as they head into the final of the Africa Cup of Nations, the training staff will have to find a very delicate balance of allowing him time to rest while still maintaining a baseline level of fitness, as his ramp-up time into the Premier League season will be less than his counterparts.

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - Monday, May 6, 2019: Liverpool's Sadio Mane during a training session at Melwood Training Ground ahead of the UEFA Champions League Semi-Final 2nd Leg match between Liverpool FC and FC Barcelona. (Pic by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

Further, Mane’s very high pace puts him at higher risk for specific injuries, such as hamstring strains. When combined with fatigue, another major risk factor for muscular injuries, his injury risk is compounded.

To that point, his programming may focus on targeted preventative training such as the Nordic hamstring protocol, which has consistently been shown through research to efficiently build up hamstring strength and prevent strains.

Nordic-Curl-600x413.jpg

The bigger picture

Taking a step back and looking at the entire purview of the off-season and Premier League season, the former is what I call the “build” phase and the latter is the “maintenance” phase.

During the off-season, players have the time, energy, and frankly calories to build up their physical and mental reserves. Once the season begins, the main emphasis shifts to maintaining those gains and reserves, as there simply isn’t enough time or energy between all the traveling, training, and games.

In fact, during the season, the main concern becomes overtraining rather than the undertraining I touched on earlier, when players transition from rest to pre-season.

MADRID, SPAIN - Friday, May 31, 2019: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah (L) and Georginio Wijnaldum during a training session ahead of the UEFA Champions League Final match between Tottenham Hotspur FC and Liverpool FC at the Estadio Metropolitano. (Pic by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

Additionally, the staff will implement cyclical training throughout the year to increase or decrease activity amounts depending on the number of games or breaks coming up.

They will also continue to individualise the programming for each player, especially as the season unfolds and players pick up certain injuries or show signs of fatigue and wear.

All in all, training in professional football is a year-round process and science.

Much of that foundation is laid during the pre-season training period and then continues to evolve based on unique circumstances of the season, player and other tournaments. I hope this piece sheds some light on the rationale and process for you.

Alex Kintner
2 hours ago, Section Q said:

We always seem to start our season with some sort of handicap.

Aberdeen/Ranger/Celtic are already competing in Euro qualifiers and according to Levein we only have one fit striker. Let's hope he's bluffing and it's part of his game plan.

https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/news/hearts-levein-strikers-fitness-hard/

""Hearts manager Craig Levein has admitted that “it’s hard” trying to get all of his attackers fit and ready ahead of the new league campaign – and believes that Steven MacLean is the only one in a good spot.""

Have read countless managers saying exactly the same thing over the past week.

Bazzas right boot

Ffs

The problem was that they all got injured. 

Last year we pissed our first 14 or so cup and league games. 

Lack of options, the number of injuries and the inability to adapt were our issue last season, not ****ing starting the season. 

Did celtic not lose thier first game to a daft pt team as well? and the season before rangers got knocked out by part time progres. 

Killie have also had a mare this season. 

St mirren have chucked it. 

Hibs drew with Stirling or someone. He 

St Johnstone got beat midweek 

But aye, only us have issues, ever. 

WheatfieldWarrior
1 hour ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Did celtic not lose thier first game to a daft pt team as well?

Lincoln red imps from Gibraltar if I recall correctly.

i wish jj was my dad
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Everyone seems rather touchy on here these days. 

Sign of a Huge Season ahead of us?

I can only speak for myself but I get a bit touchy about Hearts 'supporters' contantly picking fault with everything the club does. I get that some people don't like Levein but it is constant and irritating as **** the lengths folk will go to to find fault. Not a dig at the OP but there are a handful of arseholes who would rather see Hearts lose than Levein be successful. That's why I get touchy anyway.

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I can only speak for myself but I get a bit touchy about Hearts 'supporters' contantly picking fault with everything the club does. I get that some people don't like Levein but it is constant and irritating as **** the lengths folk will go to to find fault. Not a dig at the OP but there are a handful of arseholes who would rather see Hearts lose than Levein be successful. That's why I get touchy anyway.

In fairness, it does seem odd that the only striker who is in a good place is our 37yr old. 

Didnt think the OP was too unreasonable tbh - the fitness of our players takes up a lot of our time on here. 

i wish jj was my dad

In fairness, it does seem odd that the only striker who is in a good place is our 37yr old. 

Didnt think the OP was too unreasonable tbh - the fitness of our players takes up a lot of our time on here. 

As I said, it wasn't a dig at OP more frustration at constant stream of negativity. Washington has just arrived so missed a bit of pre season, Naismith, Keena and Uche are recovering from injuries from last season. I have no idea about Wighton other than he has had a few injuries before he arrived and DV was emptied for either his attitude or personal issues.

What do you think Hearts should do to resolve the situation? 

Absolute Scenes
11 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

I wasnt saying he isnt up to speed,I was quoting our manager. I thought he'd looked decent so far so was surprised at the gaffers comments.

No bother mate, apologies

If you look at our squad this is hardly a surprise. He was the only striker match fit at the end of the season.

Our Striker Options:-

Uche- carrying injury at end of season

Keena- Recovering from Surgery

Washington- not match sharp

Walker- Recovering from Injury. Not match sharp

Naismith- Recovery from injury. Still to sign.

Whigton- out injured.

12 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Not according to Levein he isn't.

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Absolute Scenes said:

No bother mate, apologies

No probs. I found it a strange claim that he's Washington isnt ready when he looked as good as anyone else. 

Jambof3tornado
44 minutes ago, McCrae said:

If you look at our squad this is hardly a surprise. He was the only striker match fit at the end of the season.

Whigton- out injured.

I think a not match sharp washington will still trouble defences just fine.

1 hour ago, McCrae said:

Whigton- out injured.

Vanecek looked fit in training......... 😁

Absolute Scenes
1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

Not according to Levein he isn't.

Well we’ve got that to look forward to then, if what we have seen so far is an unfit Washington

7 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Well we’ve got that to look forward to then, if what we have seen so far is an unfit Washington

I don't really care how fit he is so long as he can start putting the ball in the back of the net.

Not surprised at McLean being fit.

Hope some of our younger players learn from him.

Also wished he would be played up front as a pair.

As for the OP .

It has seemed of late that we constantly have injury and even fitness problems.

Most clubs do.

For posters to get all huffy about it actually made me smile as they are usually the ones citing this for our poor form last season.

Absolute Scenes
2 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

No probs. I found it a strange claim that he's Washington isnt ready when he looked as good as anyone else. 

Exactly! Maybe just down to his lack of consistent gameplay last year

Bazzas right boot

I think folk are using unfit incorrectly. 

There's injured players and those that are lacking game time due to previous injury or not playing. 

Although some may be classed as unfit, 3/4 games will see them good. 

Others like Haring are Donald ducked for a few months. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Jambof3tornado
2 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

I think folk are using unfit incorrectly. 

There's injured players and those that are lacking game time due to previous injury or not playing. 

Although some may be classed as unfit, 3/4 games will see them good. 

Others like Haring are Donald ducked for a few months. 

Hopefully naismith will be sharp quickly. We all know how much of a difference he will make.

Howdy Doody Jambo

Player's only get match fit by playing games, we should just play more friendly matches 

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

Player's only get match fit by playing games, we should just play more friendly matches 

Like most clubs now, because of either starting euro qualifiers early or the lc group many play less friendlies and by choice or need use these games to get match fit. 

Players need a holiday too. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

17 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Another sad attempt to put the boot in...just makes you sad for those posters

Don’t think it is to be honest the OP is just saying what Craig Levein said in a interview 

Fort Vallance

When we have a self confessed policy of signing players with injury issues that we otherwise couldn't afford, it's hardly surprising that they take longer to get up to speed. Or as in the case of last season start collapsing when the games start coming twice a week. 

19 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Always puzzles me how guys like Uche and before him Defries  both built like brick out houses seem to pick up niggles frequently , yet guys like Zeefuik and Fulton whilst not blessed with the same physique never seem to have the same problem . Is it possible to be too muscle toned ? 

Anyway to answer the OP , yes other teams have issues too . 

Truth is, it baffles me how anyone cannot play football because of constant "niggles" . There are some players more than willing to play through the pain barrier, but then plenty who won't play with anything from a bruised ****ing toe to a scratch on their leg. 

3fingersreid
38 minutes ago, VALDOS' said:

Truth is, it baffles me how anyone cannot play football because of constant "niggles" . There are some players more than willing to play through the pain barrier, but then plenty who won't play with anything from a bruised ****ing toe to a scratch on their leg. 

Makes me think it’s not a physio that’s required but a psychiatrist at times 

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2019/07/22/hearts-boss-admits-club-have-undertaken-probe-into-training-methods-following-last-seasons-injury-nightmare/

Hearts manager Craig Levein admits the club have carried out a root and branch examination of their training methods after being plagued by a spate of injuries last season.

Levein has confirmed that Peter Haring will require a further two month’s rest in a bid to cure a long standing pelvic complaint that hindered the midfielder last term.

However, the former Scotland boss is confident that there is no correlation between the set-backs to his players and the work carried out during the week.

As a precaution, Hearts will only use two pitches at their Oriam base, as those surfaces are similar to Tynecastle.

“We’ve looked at the whole thing at great depth and we couldn’t find any pattern or any reason for it,” said Levein.

“We train on a lot of different pitches here and we decided we’re going to stick to a couple to see if that same surfaces helps, I don’t know.

“There is is no reason for it really, it is just a precaution, really. 

“There is no reason other than thinking let’s try and get a uniformity of surface.”

Levein, whose side host Stenhousemuir in the Betfred Cup tomorrow, added: “We’ve looked into it in great detail. Most of them were impact injuries and most happened in games.

“John Souttar got injured playing for Scotland, Christophe tore his hamstring off the bone falling awkwardly at Tynecastle.

“Uche was that thing with his foot when the goalkeeper landed on him at Motherwell and Naisy tore his cartilage during the match at Murrayfield.

“I don’t know if you call it bad luck.”

Naismith

Levein, meanwhile, admits he is hopeful of having forward Naismith available for their Premiership opener at Aberdeen on August 4.

Naismith, who has not played since February, is expected to officially sign a permanent deal at the start of August when his Norwich City contract expires.

Edited by CJGJ