• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• sadj

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• JamboAl

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Prof said:

So the message is it doesn’t really matter if we draw against a Championship team in a cup game at home and lose a friendly against a low ranked English team as it’s all part of a master plan of CL. 

I think you made all that up.

Drawing against a championship side in a cup tie at home wasn’t great but we did get the bonus point which puts us on track to top our group, assuming we match or better Utd’s results. 

Losing a closed doors game ( not a friendly ) isn’t really relevant to anything. 

i wish jj was my dad
1 hour ago, Prof said:

So the message is it doesn’t really matter if we draw against a Championship team in a cup game at home and lose a friendly against a low ranked English team as it’s all part of a master plan of CL. 

You can start jizzing when we lose competitive games but maybe best to stay undercover until we do.

Alex Kintner
3 hours ago, Prof said:

4/10. Must do better.

5 hours ago, Rudy T said:

There needs to be a poll on here for who has actually played football at a level higher than the BB’s!

These are training games with make shift teams, players use them as a fitness exercise and with their fitness still less than 100% don’t over extent to avoid injury. 

The management use them to try out different formations, try new on pitch partnerships and to get players fit using a match situation as opposed to training, which cant generally replicate the stop start nature of an actual game. 

Anyone reading into this as an indication of the season ahead needs to take a step back.

While we all think there are gaps in the squad that need filled these games are invaluable to find out if there’s a chance another player can cover those gaps until the suitable signing is made.

Would be a lot of question to cover different possibilities but if it was anonymous (for anyone who wished to remain anonymous) and people were honest it would be very interesting 

Bazzas right boot
20 hours ago, Longshanks said:

I think it's crazy that people can get upset over friendlies.  Then I come on here and see folk losing their shit over closed doors games :vrface:

What's next?  Hear that Hearts had a 5 a side kick about at training and get upset that one side lost?

The 7v4 attacking overload drill. 

Ffs, why we not scoring more goals! 

We should score every time! 

Ahhhh! 

Bazzas right boot
17 hours ago, wavydavy said:

My take on what should be happening with a number of the friendlies is that we should be looking to play what CL thinks will be his best starting lineup excluding Naismith of course.

The other games can or should in my humble opinion be used to give the other squad players game time to help their fitness.

At this time of year there are loads of teams out there wanting ames for the same reasons so I really don't see the need to be switching players all the time.

I would hope that by now CL will know what his best available team is excluding injuries and he should be playing them now to help the new players get to know each other.

The fact that every game has a new line-up is a lot to do with the results we are getting not that those are that important pre-season but every win boost the players confidence.

A bit all over the place. 

We are changing line ups so all players get game time. 

Our strongest line ups will be kept for the lc, Surley that makes sense?

Playing the strongest 11 all the time would just knacker them, be like 6 games or something in 3 weeks, while other players would be less match fit? 

You  can't play the strongest team all the time whilst giving everyone a chance and friendlies are exactly for that purpose- for trying new things and players. 

No doubt given the lack of playing time for some of our players friendlies are exaxty what is needed and they would have been told to take it relatively easy. 

Players confidence will, in no way be affected by friendly scores. 

They know exactly what they are for, each player will have thier own personal objectives. 

It might mean more to fringe and young players who are trying to impress, but they are young and fringe players so we are back to the result meaning nothing. 

The competitive games have been fine, not great but fine. As other teams have shown, very easy to slip up. We haven’t. 

Might have misunderstood your post, but it seems like a contridiction and makes little sense. Maybe just me tho. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

The Treasurer
17 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

No fans so i doubt it.

No fans !!!!!

Those that said Leveins brand of hoofball would see ST numbers drastically reduced have been proven correct.

46 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

A bit all over the place. 

We are changing line ups so all players get game time. 

Our strongest line ups will be kept for the lc, Surley that makes sense?

Playing the strongest 11 all the time would just knacker them, be like 6 games or something in 3 weeks, while other players would be less match fit? 

You  can't play the strongest team all the time whilst giving everyone a chance and friendlies are exactly for that purpose- for trying new things and players. 

No doubt given the lack of playing time for some of our players friendlies are exaxty what is needed and they would have been told to take it relatively easy. 

Players confidence will, in no way be affected by friendly scores. 

They know exactly what they are for, each player will have thier own personal objectives. 

It might mean more to fringe and young players who are trying to impress, but they are young and fringe players so we are back to the result meaning nothing. 

The competitive games have been fine, not great but fine. As other teams have shown, very easy to slip up. We haven’t. 

Might have misunderstood your post, but it seems like a contridiction and makes little sense. Maybe just me tho. 

I think Davy just wanted a good moan at CL but wasn't sure what he was moaning about.

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I think Davy just wanted a good moan at CL but wasn't sure what he was moaning about.

Aye😂😂😂

Started moaning then forgot what he was moaning about😉

Bazzas right boot
55 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

No fans !!!!!

Those that said Leveins brand of hoofball would see ST numbers drastically reduced have been proven correct.

😂😂😂

I don't like this term "hoofball" , direct is the more technical term. 

Berra's style of passing is, eh direct. 

Direct ball. 😎

Looks like the full gang is here to defend Craig Levein. No criticism, or even anything slightly negative, allowed 

2 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

Looks like the full gang is here to defend Craig Levein. No criticism, or even anything slightly negative, allowed 

The full gang is out but this time they do have a point. A bounce game really isn’t anything to get upset about. 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

He ate too many haribos. 

Was he even there? 

Dallas Green
2 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

It's comical isn't it. 

However it's just an excuse to spout pish and on this place that is common practice. 

We probably all do say things on here that are a bit daft from time to time, but some make a habit of it. 

For sure.

Getting up in arms about a bounce game is just plain stupid.

It was clearly for fitness and game time. We have competitive games on Wednesday and then Saturday. Levein knows we must win these.

13 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

The full gang is out but this time they do have a point. A bounce game really isn’t anything to get upset about. 

Thing is, this is not about one bounce game, this is about a terrible 2nd half of the season where we won very few games, a pre-season which continued this trend and a pretty limp start to the Betfred cup. I am not confident for our first league game.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

Thing is, this is not about one bounce game, this is about a terrible 2nd half of the season where we won very few games, a pre-season which continued this trend and a pretty limp start to the Betfred cup. I am not confident for our first league game.

So, If we'd beaten Cambridge you'd be confident for the Aberdeen game? 

For clarification, the Cambridge results and for that matter last seasons results  (FYI v Aberdeen were w2 l2) have no  bearing at all on the first league game. 

Imo, I think you just wanted to post and continue to moan about anything. 

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

You just can't help yourself Al can you.

You talk about me being negative and that is what you read into every post I make whether it's the case or not so a bit contradictory.

I am not moaning at CL just making an observation that I think is valid however obviously my failing here is that I am not making it clear enough for you and Olly to get my point.

I won't labour the point as it will be seen as even more negativity.

Edited by wavydavy

5 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

I’ve posted on other threads that I’ve seen things that make me apprehensive about the coming season but I’ve also seen some positives in there. We’ve done the business in both our competitive games to a certain extent and are currently sitting in the driving seat to qualify, so not overly worried about that. We also have enough time between now and the first game of the season to put things right. 

Bounce games are a total different thing to friendlies and friendlies are a total different thing to competitive matches. Bounce matches genuinely are all about fitness and getting people recovering from injury back into games, exposure for some young guys etc. The team would’ve been told to play at half speed, no mad challenges etc. Friendlies are different to that still. Friendlies most teams will try play something like 80% full capacity for a duration of the game then play around with different ideas etc. Honestly, a closed door game against anyone is nothing to analysis. 

1 hour ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Aye😂😂😂

Started moaning then forgot what he was moaning about😉

Hilarious stuff.

Can you tell me what you think our starting lineup is likely to be against Aberdeen then based on the teams that CL has put out to date and do you think those players you choose will have all played together in a competeive game at the same time?

I’m not overly bothered about pre season games but it is always good for confidence for goals to go in....I’m really hoping Washington grabs a goal on wednesday as it will be good for confidence ahead of the league games starting....I remember scoring 11 goals in pre season and all the boys ripped me as they said they didn’t count but for me it meant I started the season with a lot of confidence.....finished the season with 7 goals (18 if you include pre season) 😂

3 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

So, If we'd beaten Cambridge you'd be confident for the Aberdeen game? 

For clarification, the Cambridge results and for that matter last seasons results  (FYI v Aberdeen were w2 l2) have no  bearing at all on the first league game. 

Imo, I think you just wanted to post and continue to moan about anything. 

I agree with what you are saying but am okay with people moaning, that comes from frustration at what we’ve seen on the park recently. I know you are a reasoned poster so you’ll agree not everything has been rosey. I see it as Hearts having to shut people up rather than the folk moaning just accepting what we see. I’d be more annoyed if we see major improvement and people still moaning. Balls in Hearts and Mr leveins court just now. Getting upset about a bounce game is proper mental tho. I once played in a bounce game where we played the last 15 minutes with 5 up front pretending we where chasing a 2 goal lead, we conceded 4. 

21 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

That season is dead and gone.

How long do you want to keep up your pretence anger for something we can't rectify?

Chill out and relax, at least until 2 or 3 games in.

18 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

What other games? We've only got a handful of friendlies. 

We played mainly youngsters against Tynecastle FC and Whitehill Welfare and then there was the Angus Beith Benefit match v Inverness and as I said it would be easy to get other games as plenty other teams are looking to get their players match fit.

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

That season is dead and gone.

How long do you want to keep up your pretence anger for something we can't rectify?

Chill out and relax, at least until 2 or 3 games in.

Just remember that theory the next time you say look where we have come from since 5 years ago. Works two ways Al.

18 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

You just can't help yourself Al can you.

You talk about me being negative and that is what you read into every post I make whether it's the case or not so a bit contradictory.

I am not moaning at CL just making an observation that I think is valid however obviously my failing here is that I am not making it clear enough for you and Olly to get my point.

I won't labour the point as it will be seen as even more negativity.

I was replying to another poster who was equally confused.

PS - I still cannot see what you were driving at but had decided to let it drop.

Just now, wavydavy said:

Just remember that theory the next time you say look where we have come from since 5 years ago. Works two ways Al.

I don't get your point again.  Did I say that on this thread or is this something you have stored for a rainy day?

FWIW - When I mention "where we came from" it is a reminder that we don't want to get in the same debt etc as before.  That however is a different subject which I am happy to pursue with you via PMs so as not to bore the tits off every other reader.

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I don't get your point again.  Did I say that on this thread or is this something you have stored for a rainy day?

FWIW - When I mention "where we came from" it is a reminder that we don't want to get in the same debt etc as before.  That however is a different subject which I am happy to pursue with you via PMs so as not to bore the tits off every other reader.

Contradiction is my point.

6 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Contradiction is my point.

Davy do us a favour and save further exchanges by saying clearly what the manager should have done pre season

- should he have decided on the first team and not changed that line-up?

- should he have made changes for different friendlies to give youth and fringe players game time?

- are we agreed it should be his strongest available XI in League cup games?

- how do we know anyway what his strongest XI is eg 3 at the back (Halkett Berra and Souttar)?,  2 with Souttar and Berra?,  2 with Halkett and Berra or 2 with Halkett and Souttar?

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Davy do us a favour and save further exchanges by saying clearly what the manager should have done pre season

- should he have decided on the first team and not changed that line-up?

- should he have made changes for different friendlies to give youth and fringe players game time?

- are we agreed it should be his strongest available XI in League cup games?

- how do we know anyway what his strongest XI is eg 3 at the back (Halkett Berra and Souttar)?,  2 with Souttar and Berra?,  2 with Halkett and Berra or 2 with Halkett and Souttar?

I have said what he should be doing and you don't get it.

I don't think he knows what his strongest X1 is. He showed last season that he played three at the back depending upon the opposition and sometimes four.

Our defence is pretty solid it is midfield and up fron that needs strengthening and consistency to try and let players gel and develop understandings.

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

I have said what he should be doing and you don't get it.

I don't think he knows what his strongest X1 is. He showed last season that he played three at the back depending upon the opposition and sometimes four.

Our defence is pretty solid it is midfield and up fron that needs strengthening and consistency to try and let players gel and develop understandings.

You're confusing me further.

You want him to play his strongest XI but you don't think he knows what it is.  Is that not the purpose of friendlies - to satisfy himsef?

Everybody Loves Baz!

Jurgen Klopp will be getting sacked no doubt as he's never fielded a very strong team last night.

Shocking that a Manager doesn't utilise his squad to its fullest lol.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

You're confusing me further.

You want him to play his strongest XI but you don't think he knows what it is.  Is that not the purpose of friendlies - to satisfy himsef?

Look when you have basically what is a new central midfield then does it not make sense to play those that you think are going to be your first choice in the position you are expecting them to play in as often as possible?

Does he sign players on an ad hoc basis because he thinks they are good players or does he look at areas of the team where it needs strengthening and sign accordingly.

He has said he wants to play Clare more centrally as well as Cochrane and Irving so is Walker going to playing in there as well or in a wide position?

A player like Halkett is easy as he is a CB and will slot in either in place of Souttar or Berra or beside them in a back three however it is the engine room in midfield that for me is the most important part of the team and the one area that looks uncertain.

Obviously we are missing Naismith who could well slot in there assuming he signs and Haring but we don't know yet how long he will be out for and if we will sign another DM.

It could be of course that he is not concerned about central midfield as he may want to bypass them in favour of playing the ball long to Uche.

9 minutes ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

Jurgen Klopp will be getting sacked no doubt as he's never fielded a very strong team last night.

Shocking that a Manager doesn't utilise his squad to its fullest lol.

I think you will find that every player that plays for Klopp will know exactly what is expected of them and how they fit into the way he expects them to play.

5 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Look when you have basically what is a new central midfield then does it not make sense to play those that you think are going to be your first choice in the position you are expecting them to play in as often as possible?

Does he sign players on an ad hoc basis because he thinks they are good players or does he look at areas of the team where it needs strengthening and sign accordingly.

He has said he wants to play Clare more centrally as well as Cochrane and Irving so is Walker going to playing in there as well or in a wide position?

A player like Halkett is easy as he is a CB and will slot in either in place of Souttar or Berra or beside them in a back three however it is the engine room in midfield that for me is the most important part of the team and the one area that looks uncertain.

Obviously we are missing Naismith who could well slot in there assuming he signs and Haring but we don't know yet how long he will be out for and if we will sign another DM.

It could be of course that he is not concerned about central midfield as he may want to bypass them in favour of playing the ball long to Uche.

Keep digging Davy.

I'm even more confused.

I wasn’t that worried about the result until I heard that Harry Cochrane had been missing out the last cone during dribbling practice. That along with the last few months of last season and this result in a training game have raised some pretty grave concerns for me.

22 hours ago, JamboAl said:

But at least I don't confuse myself as well.

Can you not just try and explain clearly what you want from friendlies.

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Can you not just try and explain clearly what you want from friendlies.

Quoting yourself?

Governor Tarkin
On 21/07/2019 at 13:45, Icon of Symmetry said:

He was playing the Ryan Edwards role?

Well they're both 'gone for a Burton'.