Pubs that are completely brewery free

Shanks said no

davemclaren
5 hours ago, argyjambo said:

The Bow Bar on Victoria St was named the cauldron back in the early/mid seventies. Worked in the Bank of Scotland branch on corner of George IV bridge and Victoria St,  and used the cauldron for many lunchtime pints.

Another great shout. 

Dickens is a freehouse, privately owned by a lovely chap 😇

Roseburn , Tynecastle Arms & Luckies are owned by Caledonian Heritable . 

P5 & The Mercat are Belhaven . 

Stuart Lyon

The Bow Bar had a strange policy a few years ago of not selling double measures of spirits! Don't know if that's still there policy. I just asked for 2 singles instead!

the general
8 hours ago, Meadows said:

🥺🥺🥺🥺

Shanks said no
9 hours ago, Meadows said:

Cheers Meadows, who owns Bensons? 

43 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Cheers Meadows, who owns Bensons? 

Bensons is a brewery pub ( leased ) think it’s Trust Inns . 

Stratties is similiar. 

Edited by Meadows

5 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

The Bow Bar had a strange policy a few years ago of not selling double measures of spirits! Don't know if that's still there policy. I just asked for 2 singles instead!

Similiarily, Milnes Bar refused to sell a pint of Leffe but would sell you two half-pints!

:wtf: 

3 hours ago, Meadows said:

Bensons is a brewery pub ( leased ) think it’s Trust Inns . 

Stratties is similiar. 

Stratties was Punch. Think it's now HUK unless they have moved it on again.

On 21/07/2019 at 12:35, Morgan said:

:wow:   51 years!

You probably know my mum then!  :wink: 

image.png.9d5c5d9c91216c5d2fb77f9e281fd37b.png-esque moment...?!

15 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

image.png.9d5c5d9c91216c5d2fb77f9e281fd37b.png-esque moment...?!

Indubitably!

One of my ‘middle names’ is Stuart..  :sadrobbo:

My mum was a slag.  :sad:

Stuart Lyon
9 hours ago, Morgan said:

Indubitably!

One of my ‘middle names’ is Stuart..  :sadrobbo:

My mum was a slag.  :sad:

Your not my son Morgan - never been with a slag!

All roads lead to Gorgie
On 22/07/2019 at 07:44, Stuart Lyon said:

I like sitting in there sometimes and over hearing the tourists getting advice on what whiskies to try. Some of the prices though are a bit eye watering. 

I think the Guildford Arms and The Abbotsford  are owned by the same company and are free of any brewery.

Shanks said no
28 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I like sitting in there sometimes and over hearing the tourists getting advice on what whiskies to try. Some of the prices though are a bit eye watering. 

I think the Guildford Arms and The Abbotsford  are owned by the same company and are free of any brewery.

And the Canon Gait and Cumberland, owned by DM Stewart 

https://www.dmstewart.com/

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

And the Canon Gait and Cumberland, owned by DM Stewart 

https://www.dmstewart.com/

I have been going to the Guildford and the Abbotsford for years now when I fancy a pint in quiet and plush surroundings. 

Didn't they have The Golden Rule as well for a time as I think they advertised it in The Guildford if my memory is right for a change.

Shanks said no
20 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I have been going to the Guildford and the Abbotsford for years now when I fancy a pint in quiet and plush surroundings. 

Didn't they have The Golden Rule as well for a time as I think they advertised it in The Guildford if my memory is right for a change.

I thought there was another pub they played on the loop on the TV but am not sure it was the GL

here’s a link to Heineken who are trying to find a leasee for the Murrayfield Bar (currently closed)

https://www.starpubs.co.uk/pubs/murrayfield-edinburgh

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I thought there was another pub they played on the loop on the TV but am not sure it was the GL

here’s a link to Heineken who are trying to find a leasee for the Murrayfield Bar (currently closed)

I am not sure the Murrayfield will succeed as they tried the gastro route, child friendly, dog friendly and so on but it still struggled by the looks of it. The Roseburn seems the go to pub in that area. 

the general
17 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I am not sure the Murrayfield will succeed as they tried the gastro route, child friendly, dog friendly and so on but it still struggled by the looks of it. The Roseburn seems the go to pub in that area. 

You would think with the football rugger and occasional gigs it could not fail to be a success 

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, the general said:

You would think with the football rugger and occasional gigs it could not fail to be a success 

It was always packed on days when Murrayfield was holding events but I noticed most times I passed it at other times it was near empty. They also had bouncers on for cat a games at Tynecastle which says everything about the away fans of the clubs involved as they were keeping everyone out. 

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

• 5 weeks later...
Shanks said no
On 23/07/2019 at 12:52, The Frenchman Returns said:

Noticed the blinds were up early doors today at the Murrayfield Bar, might be coming back to life?

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Noticed the blinds were up early doors today at the Murrayfield Bar, might be coming back to life?

Handy with the rugger on tomorrow 

Auld Reekin'
On 23/07/2019 at 10:16, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I like sitting in there sometimes and over hearing the tourists getting advice on what whiskies to try. Some of the prices though are a bit eye watering

We were in the Ferry Inn in Stromness (a nice enough looking pub, but don't bother trying to get a drink there when they're serving meals: you soon realise that as a non-local, drinks-only, "customer" they don't give a feck about you...) in May and they had a selection of Scapa* malt whiskies on promotion on the bar: I think the cheapest nip was £14, with prices going up to over £20 a pop!

:berra:

The service in the Flattie Bar just up the road was much better!

(*Prefer Highland Park anyway.)

• 1 year later...
Shanks said no

Murrayfield Bar & Kitchen would appear to almost be ready to reopen.

Curtains open this morning, gold lettering on windows and refurbishment appears complete. Been a long time closed. 

No many left in Edinburgh to be honest. 

Edinburgh is a rubbish place for a night out. Much prefer berwick or Newcastle. 

On 21/07/2019 at 11:45, Stuart Lyon said:

Yes it is the old Bisset's Bar. Here's a not very good photo of Bissets Bar when Morrison St had 2 way traffic! Needless to say the bus stop isn't there any longer.

Bissett's copy.jpg

My mum's auntie owned the flat directly above Bissett's Bar for years (4 windows in picture). There was a great wee bakery directly across the road and a Union offices to the left. If you headed right I think Mackay's Centre Spot was only a few minutes up the road for a few years at least.

Yes it is the old Bisset's Bar. Here's a not very good photo of Bissets Bar when Morrison St had 2 way traffic! Needless to say the bus stop isn't there any longer.

Bissett's copy.jpg

My mum's auntie owned the flat directly above Bissett's Bar for years (4 windows in picture). There was a great wee bakery directly across the road and a Union offices to the left. If you headed right I think Mackay's Centre Spot was only a few minutes up the road for a few years at least.

Bissett's copy.jpg

On 23/08/2019 at 16:24, TheBigO said:

Bow Bar is great.

Staggs in Mussy can't be beat though!

I know you posted that nearly two years ago but it’s a pub I’ve grown to like since moving to Musselburgh. Getting to the beer garden was a bit odd. 

the general
2 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

No big changes really  but Montys across the road and Froth and Flame next doorish are good

Savage Vince
On 23/07/2019 at 14:58, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Fine pub, The Roseburn. 

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I know you posted that nearly two years ago but it’s a pub I’ve grown to like since moving to Musselburgh. Getting to the beer garden was a bit odd. 

Good man! Christ it's been good to be back!!!!

11 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Another pic of Bissets

Bissets Bar.jpg

Was there a guy called Allister (Ally) who managed Bissets as seem to recall someone who managed the Powderhall Arms around the 80's/90's who possibly worked there?

Les Izemore

So what is actually meant by a pub being a ’freehouse’?

I always thought it meant that the property and business was completely owned by a private individual, who was then ‘free’ to choose who he bought his drink from. Is this correct?

1 hour ago, Les Izemore said:

I always thought it meant that the property and business was completely owned by a private individual, who was then ‘free’ to choose who he bought his drink from. Is this correct?

Pretty much, just that they're not 'tied' to a particular brewery or supplier.

On 14/06/2021 at 10:13, The Frenchman Returns said:

Murrayfield Bar & Kitchen would appear to almost be ready to reopen.

Curtains open this morning, gold lettering on windows and refurbishment appears complete. Been a long time closed. 

I was in there when it temporarily reopened - must have been autumn 2019 - and it was like a morgue.

The big thing they need to look into is the layout with the toilets down a narrow set of stairs, which was a bit of a state.  I was sure the toilets used to be bar level.

On 15/06/2021 at 10:49, Les Izemore said:

Back in the day (up to the late '80's most pubs were owned by breweries. Landlords leased the pubs and became tenants. Conditions of the lease were that the tenant had to buy all their product from the brewery, which meant that the pub only stocked beer (and other product) manufactured or distributed by the brewery eg. all S&N pubs sold McEwans Lager and you could only get Becks in an S&N pub as they were the sole distributor. The term for this type of pub was called "Tied Estate". Pub's where the landlord owned or leased the premises from a private landlord were not constrained by this arrangement and were called "Free Houses" eg they could stock and sell both Tennants and McEwans lager - however, the brewery had to agree to sell the product to them in the first place.

The late 80's saw the introduction of competition law which forced tied estate to be able to stock 2 "guest beers" - which meant product not from their parent brewery. As competition and consumer demand diversified, owners of tied estate realised that they could not continue with restrictive practices and choice became wider. Breweries began to divest of their tied estate, but this saw the growth of companies like Wetherspoons and Punch Taverns. Breweries still influence choice by offering incentives like interest free loans and highly competitive pricing to get their product into pubs at the expense of the competition. There is also a power struggle  between the large chains and breweries with both trying to dictate the price they will pay/charge for product driven by economy of scale. This can lead to the bizarre situation such as Wetherspoon's opening their first bar in Dublin and trying to dictate to Guinness how much they would pay per barrel. Guinness told them to sing for it, so we had the situation of a Wetherspoons in Dublin which did not stock Guinness!

All of this has diluted the "tied" versus "free" market to the point where it largely doesn't matter, with always a pretty good choice for the consumer.

Les Izemore
1 hour ago, Greenbank2 said:

Back in the day (up to the late '80's most pubs were owned by breweries. Landlords leased the pubs and became tenants. Conditions of the lease were that the tenant had to buy all their product from the brewery, which meant that the pub only stocked beer (and other product) manufactured or distributed by the brewery eg. all S&N pubs sold McEwans Lager and you could only get Becks in an S&N pub as they were the sole distributor. The term for this type of pub was called "Tied Estate". Pub's where the landlord owned or leased the premises from a private landlord were not constrained by this arrangement and were called "Free Houses" eg they could stock and sell both Tennants and McEwans lager - however, the brewery had to agree to sell the product to them in the first place.

The late 80's saw the introduction of competition law which forced tied estate to be able to stock 2 "guest beers" - which meant product not from their parent brewery. As competition and consumer demand diversified, owners of tied estate realised that they could not continue with restrictive practices and choice became wider. Breweries began to divest of their tied estate, but this saw the growth of companies like Wetherspoons and Punch Taverns. Breweries still influence choice by offering incentives like interest free loans and highly competitive pricing to get their product into pubs at the expense of the competition. There is also a power struggle  between the large chains and breweries with both trying to dictate the price they will pay/charge for product driven by economy of scale. This can lead to the bizarre situation such as Wetherspoon's opening their first bar in Dublin and trying to dictate to Guinness how much they would pay per barrel. Guinness told them to sing for it, so we had the situation of a Wetherspoons in Dublin which did not stock Guinness!

All of this has diluted the "tied" versus "free" market to the point where it largely doesn't matter, with always a pretty good choice for the consumer.

A very comprehensive answer, cheers. 

Shanks said no

@Greenbank2thanks for summarising to us mere amateurs

For a local example you can look at 52 Canoes on West Port, currently being marketed by Star Pubs (Heineken)

https://www.starpubs.co.uk/pubs/52-canoes-edinburgh

Its free of tie on Spirits, Wine & Food but not necessarily beer but you receive discount Per Barrel of £150 per Heineken UK branded beer

3 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

@Greenbank2thanks for summarising to us mere amateurs

For a local example you can look at 52 Canoes on West Port, currently being marketed by Star Pubs (Heineken)

https://www.starpubs.co.uk/pubs/52-canoes-edinburgh

Its free of tie on Spirits, Wine & Food but not necessarily beer but you receive discount Per Barrel of £150 per Heineken UK branded beer

For the first year, then they crank up the prices, screw the tenants, the tenant leaves then rinse and repeat. Absolute scumbags. Punch Taverns are the worst for this, basically fleecing people's redundancies, inheritances etc.