Feeling optimistic

NB GIN

Feeling good about the season ahead few good signings and also the youth coming through is encouraging. Still not sure if we have a prolific goal scorer at club but I do think walker Naismith Uche Washington are all capable of 10 goals infact wouldn’t be surprised to see walker become top scorer. 

Aldo think Clare and Mulraney will do well this season so a lot to look forward to

Pretty much echoes my thoughts, especially re Walker, I think it's going to be an exciting season for us, now if only we can get a fair deal from the man in the middle 😏

The Internet

Confident Clare will hit double figures since he'll be on penalties all the time now. Big season for him playing in his proper position. If he plays to his potential we've got a huge asset there. 

without haring, clare will be very exposed as he's not the greatest at mixing it and I don't see anyone else filling the role. with a creative walker back and a fit Naismith we will score more, defence looks as solid as last year but the middle looks weak and inexperienced to me

23 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Feeling good about the season ahead few good signings and also the youth coming through is encouraging. Still not sure if we have a prolific goal scorer at club but I do think walker Naismith Uche Washington are all capable of 10 goals infact wouldn’t be surprised to see walker become top scorer. 

Aldo think Clare and Mulraney will do well this season so a lot to look forward to

Do we need a prolific goalscorer? A couple of players hitting late teens should be enough.

Phil D. Corners

My optimism spans the long term future not just this season, and I’m happy. 

We have made some good signings and we’ve got rid of the dead wood. This season the stand will be fully open and generating more income then ever before. We have more academy player breaking through. The FoH is starting to pay Ann her investment back. 

I want to watch good football, but I’m not going to lose sleep over a couple bad results. I’m always looking forward to our next game. 

Expecting a better season than last.

We aren’t going to win every game with some shocking results mixed in with some unexpected shock wins.

Realistic in my expectations so top 4 would be acceptable with a semi final.

Certainly not going to lose my shit if we lose a couple on the bounce early in the season.

Think we may surprise a few teams with liquid football 👍

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, brux said:

Do we need a prolific goalscorer? A couple of players hitting late teens should be enough.

Only 9 players hit 10+ goals in the Scottish Premiership last season. 1 of those players plays for Hearts. 0 players hit the 20 goal barrier, despite Celtic having a £9m striker and Rangers have a £1m striker - who is now worth 10 or 20 times that initial investment. Not sure this prolific goalscorer exists within Hearts budget. We will most likely have to produce one from the academy!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-premiership/top-scorers

Got a good feeling about what’s ahead this season. Another couple of good signings to bolster the midfield and we’ll be flying.

4forDevries
3 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Got a good feeling about what’s ahead this season. Another couple of good signings to bolster the midfield and we’ll be flying.

Me too. Best CM we can afford and SN will do. But still unsure if Brandon can cover RB well enough. You are only ever a bad or unlucky game away from the doom and gloom merchants going off on one though. 

Sexton Hardcastle

As per Killie thread, as soon as we lose a game or have a bad performance it will be daggers out. Good for feeling optimistic but it will change in a heartbeat and it will be the usual cries for CL, AB etc to pack it in.

Full expect top 5 but doubt we will make Hampden this season. Can’t remember back to back seasons trips?

Soapy Soutar

Got a good feeling about this season,walker and clare will be key players,i think washington will hit 15+,really excited to see a lot of the youth get a chance now path to 1st team is clearer all the dead wood is gone.

Everyone is raving and rightly so but for me i have a feeling mcdonald is going to be our standout performer amongst the kids coming through

Byyy The Light
23 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Only 9 players hit 10+ goals in the Scottish Premiership last season. 1 of those players plays for Hearts. 0 players hit the 20 goal barrier, despite Celtic having a £9m striker and Rangers have a £1m striker - who is now worth 10 or 20 times that initial investment. Not sure this prolific goalscorer exists within Hearts budget. We will most likely have to produce one from the academy!

Pesky facts.

Think I’ll go in to the new season with the same positive attitude I always do. I’ll hope for the best and enjoy the ride. I’m emotionally stable enough to hope for the best but not completely fall apart if we don’t achieve it. 👍

38 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Interesting. Craig Halkett joint 9th top scorer last season.

48 minutes ago, brux said:

Anyone hitting 15-20 goals in a season would count as prolific in my book!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Despite opinion to the contrary over recent days, I feel good. Plenty work left to be done, but even that is encouraging, that we have room to grow, salary space to clear, younger players to grow, and what appears a sustainable core of senior pro's.

I maintain for the time being, the squad has many players, but not enough capable of stepping into bigger shoes.

However, we just can't be as unlucky as the season past surely, and we have emerging talents in Irving, McDonald and Hickey, hopefully Harry can get his game going again too.

Naismith remains critical, and if we could add one real quality midfielder, we have reasons to be expecting more of the opening burst of last season, and less of the closing period.

A positive of Naismiths late entrance, pre-season is allowing the others to focus on playing liquid football, without his influence.

#Liquid #HHGH

I will be optimistic about our chances as soon as we fill the big hole in the middle of the park. If we can get that player in the middle that holds everything together it should hopefully allow us to play with a fluent front 4 of Mulraney, Washington, Naismith and Walker, which, imo, will destroy defences in this league.

sandylejambo

I have been one of Clare's harshest critics but his first halve on Tuesday night was encouraging, Burns was a bit of a week link but I don't expect him to be a starter normally, Walker and Naysmith will add more when they play and let's hope whoever the new midfielder is that he's ready to go, so with Basanic and Edwards as backup our midfield should be more than capable this year, let's hope the forwards do their thing and Bobs your uncle, football you actually want to go and see.

Mr Elwood P
12 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Interesting. Craig Halkett joint 9th top scorer last season.

I said that Halkett would give us a significant goal boost. Laughed at. He scored in his first competitive appearance. Adding the mythical 20 goal man isn’t achievable. What is achievable is adding goals in each area of the pitch. Halkett adds 5+ goals. Walker, we hope,  adds 10+ goals. Washington hopefully adds another 10+. If Naismith remains fit that adds more goals again. Collectively that could be the difference between 6th and 3rd.

We have plenty time before the first game of the season to rectify the weaknesses in our squad and starting 11, for that reason I am also looking forward to the new season. Solid midfielder brought in and everyone that’s available, fit and ready for Aberdeen away, that’s my hope. 

Think Walker and Washington have given us a bit more going forward but still think we need a midfielder. I'd like to see either Keena or Zanatta get a bit more time as I think they could both score goals for us

2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I said that Halkett would give us a significant goal boost. Laughed at. He scored in his first competitive appearance. Adding the mythical 20 goal man isn’t achievable. What is achievable is adding goals in each area of the pitch. Halkett adds 5+ goals. Walker, we hope,  adds 10+ goals. Washington hopefully adds another 10+. If Naismith remains fit that adds more goals again. Collectively that could be the difference between 6th and 3rd.

we're better off spreading the goals round the team - how long do we think a mythical 20+ goals a season striker would hang around at Hearts before we get an offer we can't refuse? Said player leaves and we're left with a hole to fill which we most likely couldn't.

9 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

we're better off spreading the goals round the team - how long do we think a mythical 20+ goals a season striker would hang around at Hearts before we get an offer we can't refuse? Said player leaves and we're left with a hole to fill which we most likely couldn't.

Exactly, look at our team that skooshed the Championship with record goals and points.

1 hour ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

As per Killie thread, as soon as we lose a game or have a bad performance it will be daggers out. Good for feeling optimistic but it will change in a heartbeat and it will be the usual cries for CL, AB etc to pack it in.

Full expect top 5 but doubt we will make Hampden this season. Can’t remember back to back seasons trips?

Made it to Hampden in 2012 and 2013 - believe! 😀

Alex Kintner
56 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Think I’ll go in to the new season with the same positive attitude I always do. I’ll hope for the best and enjoy the ride. I’m emotionally stable enough to hope for the best but not completely fall apart if we don’t achieve it. 👍

This. Still get that naive “this is our year” feeling at the start of every season. 😊

Relegation beckons and eyeblood trickling down the stands ruining the fine surface. 

Shove yer optimism up yer Sheriffs.

Always feel positive at the start of every new season. 

Still think we need a few new players but we'll be better when Naismith and Haring return.

3 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

This. Still get that naive “this is our year” feeling at the start of every season. 😊

Too right. Love it. :wub:

Let’s hear it for the dreamers.

I've expressed doubts over the Summer but optimism always gets the better of me where Hearts are concerned. Every season since Dens, even if common sense and sanity screams to the contrary, I always approach the new season believing we're on the brink of glory. 

We've signed well so far, Craig seems laid back and relaxed and if we add another one, maybe two, good quality players then I'll be believing anything is possible.

C'mon the JT's.

:rudiyas:

Ps. I'd urge everyone not to panic and jerk the knee if it doesn't click from day one. Doesn't mean it won't all fall into place a few games down the line.

Naismith is a massive signing - superb player in our league. Against Dundee United Walker showed signs of what’s to come when he’s up to speed. Halkett looks solid and should chip in with a few goals and Washington to give us a bit more mobility up front. Perennial left back problem position may just have been solved. 

I will jump on the positivity bandwagon also.  early days but performances v Dundee united and Cowdenbeath encouraging despite the score lines not blowing anyone away. The fact we are playing better football and creating loads of chances is a big improvement on last season. At least we look like scoring, let’s hope our finishing and composure improves which I am sure it will.

agree what others are saying...in McDonald, Zanatta and an on form Mulraney, we also have attacking creative options going forward which is what we badly lacked last season. Add in Walker who is proven in this league and an international striker in Washington our options going forward should see us hopefully build on last season and challenge for 3rd!

lastly we still have arguably our two best players from last season to come back, in Naismith and Haring! Bring on the new season! 

2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

That's really interesting and depressingly grounding!

I was actually thinking just this morning how we could be sorted for goals and formulated the following on the fag packet in ma heid

Naismith 10-15

Walker 10-15

Washington 10

Uche 5-10

Keena 5

Clare 5-10

Wingers (Jake, Zanatta, McDonald, Morrison) 10 

CMs (whoever it may be!) 5-10 between them

Def 5-10 between them

Gives us a total of 60-70 goals!

Easy!!!

Your facts have made me doubt myself.  Damn you.

4forDevries
1 hour ago, Artful Dodger said:

Relegation beckons and eyeblood trickling down the stands ruining the fine surface. 

Shove yer optimism up yer Sheriffs.

Sounds like the hobo results against Arbroath and Stirling are hurting. Coupled with all those players rejecting a move to Hibs and the manager saying they can't afford McNulty. Aye...plenty doom and gloom at Fester Road so I can understand how gutted they are the Jambos are looking good.

2 hours ago, AGoodLaugh said:

Made it to Hampden in 2012 and 2013 - believe! 😀

Correct, also in 2005 and 2006! 

I'm just not confident. Another season of mediocrity is my gut feeling...

...obviously I'm hoping we blow teams away and its a fantastic season! Team will always have my backing but I'm not on the optimism bandwagon just yet.

However usually this time of year I'm overly excited and full of blind hope, so will probably be our best season for years

I’m gonna wait for full optimism until we’ve played a couple of top flight teams. I’m encouraged by Halkett, Washington and Walker but we’re still a bit short yet

maroonshrew
7 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Yea I think the idea of a 20 goal striker has been in the psyche of football fans for years when it actually rarely exists. The key is adding to the number of players who can score more like 10. Last year we had 1 player capable of 10 League goals. Hopefully the addition of Walker makes it 2. And Halkett is definitely a goal threat. Fingers crossed Washington is too. It definitely feels like we've added goals to the squad in a variety of areas. 

7 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

To be fair to the moaners Levein has brought pressure on himself with poor football ans results 

New season and fresh start for all 

Levein and this sqaud need a good start if he's to remain 

upgotheheads
5 hours ago, Fort Vallance said:

Start every season with a sense of optimism.  Hopefully it'll be long lasting.

5 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Always feel positive at the start of every new season. 

Still think we need a few new players but we'll be better when Naismith and Haring return.

Me too. I see we're sitting comfortably fourth with 38 games left. Already challenging near the top!

Cruyff Turn

Need our strikers to start scoring or we’ll still potentially have an issue. We can’t rely on Naisy to carry us.

9 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

04/5/05/06 I think mate. Too long anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Gavman81 said:

And 12/13 that the poster above says that I’d completely forgotten aboot - with great reason in 2013s case. 

I still think we're a ways off. Some good acquisitions, Walker, Washington, Halkett. Hopefully more in that bracket and we can see something worth our time next season. 

Part of me wonders if the 1st team was in such a state post Cathro that last season was about laying the foundations for this season and bringing in solid performers. Now we're going to see the more eye catching flair types. Maybe thats over thinking it or trying to justify the shit show that the 2nd half of the season turned into, idk. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Gavman81 said:

12/13

But last year it would have been as well, but the lc sf was at Murrayfield. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Every season a random player of the year contendor emerges. It was Haring last year. Wonder who it'll be this year. I'm going with Clare or Mulraney.

It also really feels like we've signed quality over quantity this season and the length of time it's taking to sign a midfielder suggests we're trying to maintain that approach even though we need one quite urgently.