Foundation Pledges

Beast Boy

fabienleclerq
28 minutes ago, XB52 said:

But that is exactly what our pledges have been used for; we put millions towards the new stand

Yes but the carrot of fan ownership has still been dangling for that period, we are talking about after we achieve the goal we set out too. 

I personally  want my pledge spent to give Hearts the biggest chance of being successful not spent on charity etc. 

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Nookie Bear

• Unknown user

• portobellojambo1

TorinoJambo
33 minutes ago, XB52 said:

But what you suggested we could have is exactly what we already have??

No. The FOH was for a certain thing which we achieved. A magnificent effort. But the very fact that we are debating the next move suggests a change of tack. Of course the 8000 odd will still contribute but a "socio" type scheme can attract massive numbers of new people ( monthly newsletter etc can be issued, discounts etc too) AND the cash can be used to grow the club with different terms of reference. I've contributed since day one so I'M not criticising in any way.

3 minutes ago, TorinoJambo said:

No. The FOH was for a certain thing which we achieved. A magnificent effort. But the very fact that we are debating the next move suggests a change of tack. Of course the 8000 odd will still contribute but a "socio" type scheme can attract massive numbers of new people ( monthly newsletter etc can be issued, discounts etc too) AND the cash can be used to grow the club with different terms of reference. I've contributed since day one so I'M not criticising in any way.

Still sounds like foh apart from the discounts bit, which would have tax implications. Anyone can contribute £10 a month to foh to feel part of the club and they get a regular newsletter

My subs are paid so that future generations can enjoy (or not😁) The Hearts.

Trouble with letting this money go to players transfers and wages is some might stop in protest at bad management of the team.

As an example I had thought about not getting a st this season.

Just a bit scunnered .

But I will never stop my subs.

We have came back from the brink twice in my Hearts supporting career.

Dont get me wrong it makes it all the sweeter when we are going well.

But these subs for me mean the club is as safe as it can be.

On 18/07/2019 at 12:46, i8hibsh said:

Every month from start (first month)up to around 4 months ago.

That's a bit shit i8.

Understand that you are not enjoying the football.

But that's not the spirit for your subs .

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, jake said:

Trouble with letting this money go to players transfers and wages is some might stop in protest at bad management of the team.

Just a bit scunnered .

I just don't think that's a convincing argument because it's already happened when the money wasn't going to he playing squad. 

In Cathro's final weeks people started pulling the plug on pledges and the club listened. If we as a support get really really unhappy it's the most obvious and visible protest that individuals can make and in hard times some will weaponise it whether allocated to player budget or not. 

I give monthly and have since it started. I'll donate until I die. Simple as. It's never in question.

Unless you're in financial difficulty it should be the same for everyone. 

That isn't meant to sound elitist or I'm better. I just love the club that much that we could get relegated from playing pants and it wouldn't change for me. 

52 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I just don't think that's a convincing argument because it's already happened when the money wasn't going to he playing squad. 

In Cathro's final weeks people started pulling the plug on pledges and the club listened. If we as a support get really really unhappy it's the most obvious and visible protest that individuals can make and in hard times some will weaponise it whether allocated to player budget or not. 

St sales and other income for playing budget .

Foh subs to keep the club stable.

I wasnt aware about drop offs in Cathro time.

I'd hope that pledges would be about long term.

Short term unhappiness with the team and not going or getting a st would effect the teams finance but the club would still be secure.

davemclaren
1 hour ago, XB52 said:

Still sounds like foh apart from the discounts bit, which would have tax implications. Anyone can contribute £10 a month to foh to feel part of the club and they get a regular newsletter

And a vote. 

3 hours ago, Borders Jambo said:

There is an interesting article in the Scotsman/News today / yesterday about the Hibs scheme and how they are watching how things unfold with us.  Its written in the usual pandering way by Patullo with hints (my interpretation) that they are waiting for FOH to go pear shaped.  If I was one of them (thank god I'm not) I'd be more concerned about their own situation.  

Waiting to see if ours goes pear shaped...... I think it has already proven to be a tremendous success. Seems a strange approach from them!

4 hours ago, jake said:

Just a bit scunnered .

This man gets it.

My sub is for life, if that means its used for updating the stadium or improving the team on the park i am happy.   If the club runs in profit and we are never in risk of incompetent owners running up debts or trying to sell our stadium then i am happy.  

4 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

Yes but the carrot of fan ownership has still been dangling for that period, we are talking about after we achieve the goal we set out too. 

I personally  want my pledge spent to give Hearts the biggest chance of being successful not spent on charity etc. 

Big difference between community projects and infrastructure though. The right kind of Infrastructure investment creates more permanent revenue streams.

4 minutes ago, Elshin said:

This man gets it.

My sub is for life, if that means its used for updating the stadium or improving the team on the park i am happy.   If the club runs in profit and we are never in risk of incompetent owners running up debts or trying to sell our stadium then i am happy.  

Many Scottish clubs still haven’t recovered from being forced to spend money they didn’t have on stadia. I agree with you two, let’s make sure we protect the club by making sure we are never in that position again. 

Unknown user
2 hours ago, jake said:

St sales and other income for playing budget .

Foh subs to keep the club stable.

I wasnt aware about drop offs in Cathro time.

I'd hope that pledges would be about long term.

Short term unhappiness with the team and not going or getting a st would effect the teams finance but the club would still be secure.

I agree with the last sentence, but my pledge is in much more danger of being stopped if the money's going into things I see as pointless compared to the team. Yes, build up a reserve, yes, keep the infrastructure good, but only up to a point, not for the sake of it. 

Rocky jamboa

As others have said, my pledge will also be for life. Means we have people in charge with the clubs interests at heart forever.

In the future, I'd like to see at least some of the subs used on strengthening the team and attracting a higher standard of player. That all then results in higher attendances, more hospitality sold and generating more income.  If you think an extra £3k/£4k per week is £150/£200k per annum, so paying wages of £8k or £9k per week would allow us to attract 3 or 4 players in the stevie naismith/james Morrison price bracket. 

Other funds could be used on regular improvements to the stadium and avoiding taking any major debt on. 

Edited by Paulp74

22games nro

Sorry if this has been covered recently,

last season it was discussed about setting up a pledge phone line for one off donations , maybe for people that can’t commit to a regular monthly payment but would be happy to pay a small amount as and when they could.

I also think that people may want to use this if they feel we had played or are playing well.

But more importantly if people just wanted a no fuss quick way of donating it would accommodate that,I’m no way saying we should change to this method of payment as a substitute to the current scheme but it should maybe be considered as complimenting the current scheme ?

Tom Hardy’s Dug
On 18/07/2019 at 18:51, portobellojambo1 said:

I'm guessing that is just a guess on your behalf. I don't think it has even been communicated yet as to whether or not she wants the role anyway. I've certainly not voted on anything yet, in terms of who would be the Chair person as all the potential options haven't been released yet.

I think the model works similarly to that of the EU so I can’t see most Hearts fans having any problem with it.

We vote for the elected members of the board. They then choose who runs the show.

Exactly the same.

😉 

2 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I think the model works similarly to that of the EU so I can’t see most Hearts fans having any problem with it.

We vote for the elected members of the board. They then choose who runs the show.

Exactly the same.

😉

Whaaaaaaatttttttttttttttt ???????????

😩😩

fabienleclerq
6 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Big difference between community projects and infrastructure though. The right kind of Infrastructure investment creates more permanent revenue streams.

I did say that in my earlier post, either infrastructure that benefits us financially or the academy. 

12 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

I did say that in my earlier post, either infrastructure that benefits us financially or the academy. 

Must have missed it. Apologies.

Like many others on here, my pledge is for life. I trust the custodians of our club to dispense with them to the betterment of everything Hearts. FTH.

fabienleclerq
15 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Must have missed it. Apologies.

No need too. 

Don't people realisae that the money being paid to FOH, whilst going to infrastructures and the like,  will free up other money to help purchase better players.

Nookie Bear
21 minutes ago, sac said:

Like many others on here, my pledge is for life. I trust the custodians of our club to dispense with them to the betterment of everything Hearts. FTH.

I think that’s the most important thing. 

Whether the money is directed 100% to the playing budget, or is split amongst infrastructure projects, the VAST majority of fans will continue to contribute. 

The biggest threat is if there is a sense the funds are being misappropriated and being used to line someone’s pockets or blatantly non-football projects. 

Pledged since the beginning and will do to the end (barr any unfortunate turn of events). Genuinely I feel completely delighted how the club is run professionally. New stand, pitch and charity efforts is testament to this. I think back to how we were just a wee while back and to be where we are is remarkable thanks to thw leadership of Queen Ann and the loyal Hearts support. 

On the pitch can be frustrating but this is my club for life regardless. 

I am not a season ticket holder, I go when time permits. 

I pledge what I can afford and looking forward to a Plot ceremony in the next year. 

Spunking the FOH money on players isn't sustainable. It should be used to secure our long term future. Infrastructure projects could increase the revenue streams the club has eventually allowing us to compete at a higher level. Its not glamorous but building, say a hotel or student accommodation would in the long term give the club more money to play with. 

Short term - Pay back Ann

Medium term - secure sites within immediate vicinity of stadium to provide opportunity for future expansion

long term - invest in infrastructure projects which could create alternative revenue streams for the club. 

Thats how I see it. If we spend all the money on players and subs radically drop we're up shit creak and looking at some sort of messed up SMG 2.0 situation. If we build things up methodically with forward thinking and caution, yes its not as instantly rewarding but it will sustain the club long term and increase the assets under the clubs control. All of that will mean we can attract better players and compete on a higher level. 

We need to do something to build a gap between ourselves, Aberdeen and Hibs. This looks like it to me.

5 minutes ago, Beave1874 said:

Pledged since the beginning and will do to the end (barr any unfortunate turn of events). Genuinely I feel completely delighted how the club is run professionally. New stand, pitch and charity efforts is testament to this. I think back to how we were just a wee while back and to be where we are is remarkable thanks to thw leadership of Queen Ann and the loyal Hearts support. 

On the pitch can be frustrating but this is my club for life regardless. 

I am not a season ticket holder, I go when time permits. 

I pledge what I can afford and looking forward to a Plot ceremony in the next year. 

Echoing the sentiments I would guess of the majority of pledgers. Enjoy the plot ceremony when it comes.

On 19/07/2019 at 20:28, Smithee said:

This!

I can't get my head round the idea that putting it towards anything but the playing squad is a good thing. 

Every club that tries something similar to the FoH promises that every penny will go towards the squad, I just can't understand why we're so against this concept. 

Keeping the money flowing in is NOT the most important thing, building a successful team is.

People already cancel their pledges when they're not happy, we saw that with Cathro.

Put it towards the team, let's win stuff!

I'd always assumed that was the case, Smithee. 

Pay off Ann and the new main then every penny thereafter goes toward the team. Surely the aim is to have that extra spending power over the Lochend scuttlers and to keep us up with well funded Aberdeen. 

Fair enough, direct some toward facilities if necessary, as that, ultimately, brings more money into the club but the bulk surely must be put into the place its needed most in any football club. The team. 

Feckin dismayed if that's not the case, bud. 

Voice of reason
2 hours ago, OTT said:

Spunking the FOH money on players isn't sustainable. It should be used to secure our long term future. Infrastructure projects could increase the revenue streams the club has eventually allowing us to compete at a higher level. Its not glamorous but building, say a hotel or student accommodation would in the long term give the club more money to play with. 

Medium term - secure sites within immediate vicinity of stadium to provide opportunity for future expansion

long term - invest in infrastructure projects which could create alternative revenue streams for the club. 

Thats how I see it. If we spend all the money on players and subs radically drop we're up shit creak and looking at some sort of messed up SMG 2.0 situation. If we build things up methodically with forward thinking and caution, yes its not as instantly rewarding but it will sustain the club long term and increase the assets under the clubs control. All of that will mean we can attract better players and compete on a higher level. 

We need to do something to build a gap between ourselves, Aberdeen and Hibs. This looks like it to me.

Totally agree with everything you say. You put the additional money into projects that increase the turnover and that in turn increases the player budget as a percentage of this. This safeguards the future of the club whilst still improving our chances on the pitch. It’s a far more business savvy and sustainable way to do things.

Unknown user
6 hours ago, OTT said:

Spunking money on players? That's what football clubs do, it's what our money's for!

And why the assumption that pledges would dramatically drop from everyone? What is the club here for if not to spend its money on players and try to win stuff?

Student accommodation, hotel - my money's never been intended for diversification, there's no way my pledge will continue if it's going to go on outside business gambles.

I'm with Martoon on this one, this is pretty dismaying stuff

I've regularly read posts on .nut regarding FOH and in amongst the puerile, disparaging comments there has also been many expressing concern. The fear being that once the cash is no longer going toward Ann and the new main, Hearts will have a big spending advantage over them when it's redirected toward the team. Genuine fear for some and it's often been used as a rallying call to back HSL a lot more than they have.  

They'll be relieved to hear it's not true. 

Solid foundations and long term stability are obviously important but the here and now is too. Not everything has to be done with a view to the long term.

A short term infusion of cash into the first team would do us all the world of good. Might even increase donations if fans were assured most would go to improving the squad. 

As stated earlier I, naively it seems, believed that was the long term plan. And as suggested by smithee, It's what happens at other clubs who have a similar contributory set up. 

Edited by martoon

Nookie Bear
7 hours ago, Voice of reason said:

Totally agree with everything you say. You put the additional money into projects that increase the turnover and that in turn increases the player budget as a percentage of this. This safeguards the future of the club whilst still improving our chances on the pitch. It’s a far more business savvy and sustainable way to do things.

What projects would we invest £1.4m/year into that increase turnover? 

portobellojambo1
37 minutes ago, martoon said:

I've regularly read posts on .nut regarding FOH and in amongst the puerile, disparaging comments there has also been many expressing concern. The fear being that once the cash is no longer going toward Ann and the new main, Hearts will have a big spending advantage over them when it's redirected toward the team. Genuine fear for some and it's often been used as a rallying call to back HSL a lot more than they have.  

Solid foundations and long term stability are obviously important but the here and now is too. Not everything has to be done with a view to the long term.

A short term infusion of cash into the first team would do us all the world of good. Might even increase donations if fans were assured most would go to improving the squad. 

As stated earlier I, naively it seems, believed that was the long term plan. And as suggested by smithee, It's what happens at other clubs who have a similar contributory set up. 

Success on the football park isn't something that is guaranteed, it has to be earned. With success comes a generally good atmosphere around the club producing that success. While the infrastructure will need cash to be maintained at the high levels being set the major means of generating cash in football outwith the bubble of TV is through achieving a good level on the park, a level which can bring silverware with it along with European football. And it is also a means of getting more fans to turn up, purchase tickets, purchase merchandise and as an offshoot can encourage businesses to make use of the off field facilities put in place. There is nothing wrong with maintaining high standards off the park, keeping the infrastructure ticking over and well maintained, but as a football club football should be the number one priority and deserves to be invested in. It doesn't by definition mean you are writing off the potential for youngsters coming through the academy. Indeed with the right role models in place on the park that investment could also benefit the academy, as the youngsters will be around players they want to emulate.

I say this accepting there does seem to be an element of the HMFC support who don't seem to care about seeing an HMFC side that is winning and competing regularly, which is unfortunate. They seem to want the money to be used on other things to continue to build the club, but it is an attitude difficult to understand regards what they are looking to build to and then become if investment on the park isn't a major option for them.

Edited by portobellojambo1

sidjamesbottle
21 hours ago, Blacky87 said:

I give monthly and have since it started. I'll donate until I die. Simple as. It's never in question.

Unless you're in financial difficulty it should be the same for everyone. 

That isn't meant to sound elitist or I'm better. I just love the club that much that we could get relegated from playing pants and it wouldn't change for me. 

i increase my pledge by a tenner every time hibs beat us just out of defiance, i have a wee smile to myself when i'm leaving the ground gives me a bit of a win/win situation

44 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Success on the football park isn't something that is guaranteed, it has to be earned. With success comes a generally good atmosphere around the club producing that success. While the infrastructure will need cash to be maintained at the high levels being set the major means of generating cash in football outwith the bubble of TV is through achieving a good level on the park, a level which can bring silverware with it along with European football. And it is also a means of getting more fans to turn up, purchase tickets, purchase merchandise and as an offshoot can encourage businesses to make use of the off field facilities put in place. There is nothing wrong with maintaining high standards off the park, keeping the infrastructure ticking over and well maintained, but as a football club football should be the number one priority and deserves to be invested in. It doesn't by definition mean you are writing off the potential for youngsters coming through the academy. Indeed with the right role models in place on the park that investment could also benefit the academy, as the youngsters will be around players they want to emulate.

I say this accepting there does seem to be an element of the HMFC support who don't seem to care about seeing an HMFC side that is winning and competing regularly, which is unfortunate. They seem to want the money to be used on other things to continue to build the club, but it is an attitude difficult to understand regards what they are looking to build to and then become if investment on the park isn't a major option for them.

True. 

It sounds obvious but Hearts having a winning team, here and now, has to be the priority. If we're challenging and regularly defeating the old firm we attract more fans, both new and lapsed, which increases revenue via attendances and, with that, a probable rise in income through sponsorship and TV money etc.

It does, however, take a bit of extra cash to get the team to a high enough standard for the above to become a reality. That's where the donations come in. Direct the money toward a Naismith quality player in the four basic parts of the team and were set. No guarantees, as you suggest, but it makes success a lot more likely.

The youth system, which we're constantly being told is in great shape now anyway thanks to CL, need not be neglected. Nor does maintenance or slight improvements to the stadium.

Tomorrow is vital but no more than today.

18 hours ago, Smithee said:

I agree with the last sentence, but my pledge is in much more danger of being stopped if the money's going into things I see as pointless compared to the team. Yes, build up a reserve, yes, keep the infrastructure good, but only up to a point, not for the sake of it. 

Imagine the state of FOH pledges had all the money been going into paying the wages of a bunch of underachieving overpaid bad signings.

Very unlikely I know, but once you lose the pledgers it might not be so easy to get them back.

There is a security in knowing your money is not being pissed up the wall by some incompetent manager.

davemclaren
19 minutes ago, Nobreath said:

Imagine the state of FOH pledges had all the money been going into paying the wages of a bunch of underachieving overpaid bad signings.

Very unlikely I know, but once you lose the pledgers it might not be so easy to get them back.

There is a security in knowing your money is not being pissed up the wall by some incompetent manager.

As long as the pledge money is only used for our successful signings all will be well I  reckon. 👍

Unknown user
42 minutes ago, Nobreath said:

The only argument I can see against putting the money into the squad involves this idea that certain players will have "FoH Signing" next to their name. Just add it to the budget!

Unknown user
2 hours ago, martoon said:

This is exactly the point, our nearest competitors are papping it that we're going to pull away from them with all the extra money we've got.

Building foundations is vital, especially with the nick we were in, but once you've built them don't look for more foundations to build, get on with putting some ****ing walls up!

7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The only argument I can see against putting the money into the squad involves this idea that certain players will have "FoH Signing" next to their name. Just add it to the budget!

I think you are broadly in agreement with those you are debating with tbh mate. 👍

5 hours ago, Smithee said:

Spunking money on players? That's what football clubs do, it's what our money's for!

And why the assumption that pledges would dramatically drop from everyone? What is the club here for if not to spend its money on players and try to win stuff?

Student accommodation, hotel - my money's never been intended for diversification, there's no way my pledge will continue if it's going to go on outside business gambles.

I'm with Martoon on this one, this is pretty dismaying stuff

My view is that the only way we can continue to grow as a club is through diversification. If we don't invest the money to create these alternative revenue streams we'll always have around £13m to play with. That hotel made Killie a lot of money and continues to be involved with the club (offering deals etc.), Celtic are looking at doing it. If we want to create breathing room between ourselves and Aberdeen & hibs we need to do it. 

Fringe season Edinburgh Uni clear out their student residences and coin it in when the performers/ tourists are desperate for a place to stay - again, its an absolute gold mine we should be looking to get in on. I do understand where you're coming from and agree to an extent but the reality is that the SFA/SPFL have done such a bad job running Scottish football that the clubs can't rely on a good TV deal to make them more competitive, they need to do it themselves and this idea about alternative revenue streams is exactly that. Its all just ideas at the moment anyway, so it could be that the 'projects' that have been discussed previously are more football orientated which might sit well with people a lot better.

I'm not sure if you're serious or just making a point RE not continuing the pledge, but I think that highlights the necessity for why we need to do this. Fans are fickle and whilst every Hearts fan should be applauded for standing up and being counted when things went tits up the only way fan ownership is viable is if the pledge is for life and not stopped for whatever reason (poor performances, disagreement with how it is spent etc.). Therefore, developing these alternative revenue streams protects the clubs long term future as its not contingent on goodwill. 

I think it shows how far we've come since Ann came in that this is even a debate :) 

Footballfirst

I had a look back at the slides from the last AGM. It showed that "club resources" had contributed £1.95m to the Tynecastle Redevelopment Project (TRP) over the previous year to November 2018.  That is cash that the club has earned but directed to infrastructure funding.

While I believe that the funding needs for the TRP should just about be satisfied by now, There was a statement at the AGM that AB's additional £1.75m facility was planned to be paid off by October this year, again from club resources. Another £1.75m that the club has earned but directed to debt repayment. 

We know that FOH's payments towards AB's original loan should end by February 2020, so by this time next year the club should be debt free and able to contribute substantially more to the playing budget, from the club's own resources, without the FOH contribution.  That's a good place to be in and suggests to me that the FOH funds should be invested in projects to produce a longer term return, rather than added to the day to day budget.

Sorry to deviate from the thread a bit - how do you get contacted for a plot ceremony? I reached the milestone a while back :verysmug:.

Obviously not massively important and it's probably got to the stage where THOUSANDS :verysmug: of others have also reached the points total, that said, I'm a sucker for some merch and a certificate would be braw! 

38 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Sorry to deviate from the thread a bit - how do you get contacted for a plot ceremony? I reached the milestone a while back :verysmug:.

Obviously not massively important and it's probably got to the stage where THOUSANDS :verysmug: of others have also reached the points total, that said, I'm a sucker for some merch and a certificate would be braw! 

You should have received an e-mail every time you pass a threshold. It gives you some dates and you pick one. 

Phil D. Corners
9 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I had a look back at the slides from the last AGM. It showed that "club resources" had contributed £1.95m to the Tynecastle Redevelopment Project (TRP) over the previous year to November 2018.  That is cash that the club has earned but directed to infrastructure funding.

While I believe that the funding needs for the TRP should just about be satisfied by now, There was a statement at the AGM that AB's additional £1.75m facility was planned to be paid off by October this year, again from club resources. Another £1.75m that the club has earned but directed to debt repayment. 

We know that FOH's payments towards AB's original loan should end by February 2020, so by this time next year the club should be debt free and able to contribute substantially more to the playing budget, from the club's own resources, without the FOH contribution.  That's a good place to be in and suggests to me that the FOH funds should be invested in projects to produce a longer term return, rather than added to the day to day budget.

I was told by a good source that there would be a significant increase in funds when the club becomes fan owned. 

I didn’t quite understand how, but as you stated, around the time Ann hands over control all the big stand costs and debt should gone and that money will be available. 

I’ve always had confidence in future of our club. Bring it on. 

Edited by Phil D. Corners

6 hours ago, Boab said:

You should have received an e-mail every time you pass a threshold. It gives you some dates and you pick one. 

Hells bells. Better go through my junk! 

Update:Humbug, not actually received an e-mail since 2015 from the FoH :sob:

Edited by Sarah O