Doddy’s Testimonial

Radio Ga Ga

It was a great night for Doddies testimonial. 

Why was Keegan there, did he play with Doddie at any time prior or did they know each other, or was it just as a 'celebrity' ?

Edited by SUTOL

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dannymack

• Morgan

• Hercules

• Weakened Offender

18 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Do you have an opinion on Hearts fans singing the Sash? Please share.

Go away, imbecile. 

18 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Correct, it has absolutely nothing to do with football or any club. 

Only one clubs supporters sing it now though AFAIK. 

AFAIK ? 

Just now, dannymack said:

AFAIK ? 

As Far As I Know.

I don't know what songs all the various clubs supporters sing, but I've only heard on set of supporters sing the Sash in this century. 

A Shoreditch Heart

can't believe it was so long ago, but it was a really brilliant night and turn out for a great player and one of our finest managers ever - he really turned it round for us back then

11 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

As Far As I Know.

I don't know what songs all the various clubs supporters sing, but I've only heard on set of supporters sing the Sash in this century. 

I may be wrong but the last time I heard The Sash being sung at Tynecastle* was a game v Hibs, early 90's, 1-1 draw, Iain Ferguson scored the equaliser.

*Hearts fans

Edited by dannymack

been here before

Jeeeesus... Andy Cameron, the wummins game before hand, Young Hearts v Old Hearts...

Id forgotten more about this than I remember.

11 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Big Roddy Mcdonald. 

A typical no nonsense centre half. 

Sure he went on to become a policeman. 

Loved him as a player. Not the most skilful but always gave his all. He was what an old fashioned centre half was all about

Yes he went on to be a policeman. Strathclyde I think

maroonedinbriz
13 hours ago, Hercules said:

Whole ground sang the Sash at one point. Some Hun support through for it. 

Great game. Keegan was outstanding. Can't remember  the sash though.

14 minutes ago, maroonedinbriz said:

Great game. Keegan was outstanding. Can't remember  the sash though.

Ok 👍🏻

6 hours ago, Morgan said:

You and your damn edit! :rolleyes:

I was just about to post that Bone got a couple of caps!

Was 10  I missed Bowman

A Shoreditch Heart

amazing,   thanks for posting the match report. I was there that night, but don't remember much about it, but after reading that again I do remember that Gary Mackay played a blinder

The White Cockade
22 hours ago, dannymack said:

The Sash is NOT and I repeat NOT a Glasgow Rangers Football Club song.

Correct but it is also not a football song and should be nowhere near a football stadium

Also which team’s supporters were first to sing it and are most famous for singing it?

Are you saying Hearts fans did not copy singing the song they heard the Rangers hordes sing?

Surely not

2 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

Correct but it is also not a football song and should be nowhere near a football stadium

Also which team’s supporters were first to sing it and are most famous for singing it?

Are you saying Hearts fans did not copy singing the song they heard the Rangers hordes sing?

Surely not

I don't know which football supporters were the very first to sing it but I guess it could be any one of the Northern Irish Clubs that are Loyal to the Crown.

I'm going to suggest the supporters of Glasgow Rangers FC are most famous for singing it as the club and it's fans are probably the most quintessential British club in the UK.

Despite the denials, Heart of Midlothians fans were always seen as a Unionist/Loyalist lot in the 70's/80's and possibly earlier. The fact that an element adopted certain Loyalist songs to sing at matches says nothing to confirm they copied fans of Rangers FC.

Rangers FC do not hold any form of copyright over the Unionist/Loyalist hymn book. 👍

The White Cockade
22 hours ago, dannymack said:

I don't know which football supporters were the very first to sing it but I guess it could be any one of the Northern Irish Clubs that are Loyal to the Crown.

I'm going to suggest the supporters of Glasgow Rangers FC are most famous for singing it as the club and it's fans are probably the most quintessential British club in the UK.

Despite the denials, Heart of Midlothians fans were always seen as a Unionist/Loyalist lot in the 70's/80's and possibly earlier. The fact that an element adopted certain Loyalist songs to sing at matches says nothing to confirm they copied fans of Rangers FC.

Rangers FC do not hold any form of copyright over the Unionist/Loyalist hymn book. 👍

You don’t seem to be getting the point 

The history of Ireland has zero to do with Scottish football

People who sing that stuff , orange or green, have got their own agenda that is nothing to do with football and nothing to do with Hearts

I was on the terraces at Tynie in the 70’s and 80’s and know what it was like

We don’t need or want teenage kids being groomed by sad old bigots taking us back down that road again 

I’m sure you agree with that?

On 20/07/2019 at 14:56, The White Cockade said:

You don’t seem to be getting the point 

The history of Ireland has zero to do with Scottish football

People who sing that stuff , orange or green, have got their own agenda that is nothing to do with football and nothing to do with Hearts

I was on the terraces at Tynie in the 70’s and 80’s and know what it was like

We don’t need or want teenage kids being groomed by sad old bigots taking us back down that road again 

I’m sure you agree with that?

I'm not missing any point.

Your last point, well yeah, of course however I have tried to educate my kids the rights and wrongs of certain opposition fans who continually glorify cowardly attacks on UK citizens, my kids ask why the atmosphere is so intense, they ask why there's more police, they ask why Hearts fans react angrily then I have to explain, if that makes me a 'sad, old bigot' then I'm afraid we'll need to agree to disagree.

The White Cockade
27 minutes ago, dannymack said:

Your last point, well yeah, of course however I have tried to educate my kids the rights and wrongs of certain opposition fans who continually glorify cowardly attacks on UK citizens, my kids ask why the atmosphere is so intense, they ask why there's more police, they ask why Hearts fans react angrily then I have to explain, if that makes me a 'sad, old bigot' then I'm afraid we'll need to agree to disagree.

Yes you are right

We disagree

Whats your excuse for the bigoted crap being sung when we play Aberdeen Inverness or Hamilton?

To say it’s all because of Celtic and their fans is whataboutery at best but basically just bollocks

Glamorgan Jambo

Fantastic night of entertainment. 

Getting Keegan here was a classic piece of Wallace Mercer showbusiness. 

If I remember correctly the game was promised to Doddie as his bonus if he managed to keep us up in the Premier League. 

Must say I have no recollection whatsoever of any communal singing between us and the Orcs. But it was a heck of a long time ago. 

57 minutes ago, dannymack said:

Out of curiosity. What do you teach your kids about the UDA, UFF, or the UVF and certain teams glorifying their cowardly acts. Both sides are as scummy as each other.

Edited by ri Alban

Jesus Christ. People getting their tits in a twist about a song that was sung (or not 😂) 35 years ago. It’s only a song. I defy anyone not to tap their feet when they hear a flute band in full flow. 

7 minutes ago, Hercules said:

Jesus Christ. People getting their tits in a twist about a song that was sung (or not 😂) 35 years ago. It’s only a song. I defy anyone not to tap their feet when they hear a flute band in full flow. 

It's a song, yes you’re correct on that one.

It is however, not a ‘football song’ and therefore has no place whatsoever at a football match.

As for tapping ones feet at the sound of a flute band? Well, personally I would never find myself in the vicinity of such an ‘event’ and accordingly could not possibly comment, one way or the other.

Weakened Offender

Loved the wee guy. He transformed the club. The 'Doddie, Doddie GTF" towards the end of his time was as cringeworthy as the plane stunt a few years back.

Weakened Offender
On 19/07/2019 at 16:46, dannymack said:

Hearts fans used to sing Hail Hail The Hearts Are Here in the 70s and 80s.

7 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

You’ll never walk alone.

2 hours ago, Hercules said:

It’s not ‘only a song’ though. It’s loaded with meaning, and nothing to do with Hearts.

Happy to consign it to the bygone days of yore.

DIG A HOLE AND BURY IT

Weakened Offender
4 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

You’ll never walk alone.

I don't recall Hearts fans singing that. HHTHAH was regularly sung, and loudly at ibrox.

3 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

Yes you are right

We disagree

Whats your excuse for the bigoted crap being sung when we play Aberdeen Inverness or Hamilton?

To say it’s all because of Celtic and their fans is whataboutery at best but basically just bollocks

What's my excuse for the 'bigoted crap' being sung when we play Aberdeen, Inverness or Hamilton ? 

I have no excuse because there is no excuse available to justify it.

I've already stated that I agree with you on your previous point you identified it as 'grooming'.

Also I haven't said anywhere that Hearts fans singing The Sash or Derry's Walls for example is all because of celtic and their anti British, pro Irish Republican agenda's, I was simply stating a fact. 

10 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I don't recall Hearts fans singing that. HHTHAH was regularly sung, and loudly at ibrox.

Into the mid seventies, scarves up, swaying, all teams sang it, and it was obviously associated with Liverpool. Not sure when it was appropriated by Celtic. 

Mind you, the first time I heard Hey Jude was by Celtic fans at Tynecastle, when the song was in the charts in 1968 (they won 1-0), in the days before lunar landings. Who knows where the time goes?

Edited by 4marsbars
Typo

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Out of curiosity. What do you teach your kids about the UDA, UFF, or the UVF and certain teams glorifying their cowardly acts. Both sides are as scummy as each other.

I don't.

2 hours ago, Hercules said:

It's an incredible response.

56 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Loved the wee guy. He transformed the club. The 'Doddie, Doddie GTF" towards the end of his time was as cringeworthy as the plane stunt a few years back.

The Hearts fans are a fickle bunch, I'm led to believe they acted in a similar way towards Tommy Walker OBE. 

27 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

' All for goals and glory **** yer Jackanory '

'its enough to make yer heart go No Surrender' 

Remember it well, for the life of me I can't remember when it stopped but I'm going for late 80's early 90's. 

18 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

It’s not ‘only a song’ though. It’s loaded with meaning, and nothing to do with Hearts.

Happy to consign it to the bygone days of yore.

DIG A HOLE AND BURY IT

Just leave it for the folk who practice and celebrate the culture it's affiliated to. 

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, dannymack said:

Remember it well, for the life of me I can't remember when it stopped but I'm going for late 80's early 90's. 

It's a grand old team to pay the bail for. 😀

Just now, Weakened Offender said:

It's a grand old team to pay the bail for. 😀

A £10 fine and a years probation... 

Another song though 😎

been here before
30 minutes ago, dannymack said:

It was on the 'Jambo Tribe' cassette which would be 1990ish.

I know this as I downloaded it recently onto a cd for my laddie and Ive heard him cutting about singing it.

About 5 mins in... beware though it opens with a 'clean' Hearts version of Hello Hello for the easily offended...

Come on Jambos, get on up...

queensferryjambo
1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

I really do not remember anyone singing that.

I remember Alex MacDonald's departure as being a bit of a shock. We finished season 1989/90 really well and finished 3rd in the league and aside from a very poor decision on the last game of the season would have finished 2nd in the draw with Rangers. 

He was sacked 3 league games into season 1990/91 and the defeat to Rangers was far from a surprise in those days.

The feeling among the fans was Mercer had been given the opportunity of a big name Joe Jordan and decided to take it whilst Jordan was still available. 

There was hardly a big run of defeats and the fans wanting his head.

On 18/07/2019 at 08:53, Hercules said:

Absolute bollocks. The whole ground was at it 😂😂😂😂. Sorry if you’re upset about it, but if you were there, you know it’s true 😂🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

You are a liar.

2 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

IMG_20190721_215856.jpg

IMG_20190721_215923.jpg

IMG_20190721_215945.jpg

IMG_20190721_220010.jpg

IMG_20190721_220031.jpg

IMG_20190721_220056.jpg

queensferryjambo
8 minutes ago, dannymack said:

IMG_20190721_220702.jpg

IMG_20190721_220712.jpg

Brilliant - Berry past his sell by date he went on and had another 6 decent seasons at Hearts and was easily one of our best players from 93 to 95.

The age old swap the goallie debate as well. Sure Henry had another 6 seasons as well and possibly his best season ever was the next season in 91/92 LOL 

If our fans had their way we would never have seen Henry's 2 incredible saves in 2 winning games against Celtic :)

Oh and top drawer cuttings from the time.