1970s supporters - quick question.

queensferryjambo

From Left to Right...

Eamon Bannon, Gordon Grandison, Ken Halley, Gordon Brown, Paul Rodger and Ian Paterson. 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Maroon Sailor

• Tommy Brown

• queensferryjambo

15 hours ago, dannymack said:

So, Andy the Photo Doctor on Twitter done this, absolutely fantastic, gives a clearer picture on how the kit looked. 

Brilliant job, Brilliant kit. 

If anyone wants their old family photos doctored or colourised then Andy is your man.

Take a look at Andy The Photo Dr 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 (@andythephotoDr): https://twitter.com/andythephotoDr?s=09

PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS AND STICK IT ON EBAY, there's enough folk ripping Hearts fans off with copied material and over priced pre season programmes and teamsheets. 

IMG_20190722_000215.jpg

IMG_20190722_000220.jpg

That’s brilliant!

Two wee observations:

Bannons hair :wow: 

And, I’ve never even heard of Ken Halley!

If Hearts and Umbro are to ever agree on reproducing another vintage kit then this surely ticks the boxes. 

Thicker material though. 

1 minute ago, dannymack said:

If Hearts and Umbro are to ever agree on reproducing another vintage kit then this surely ticks the boxes. 

Thicker material though. 

It’s a beauty.

The socks in the photo are the first Hearts socks I owned.

Maroon Sailor
3 hours ago, Morgan said:

It’s a beauty.

The socks in the photo are the first Hearts socks I owned.

6 hours ago, Morgan said:

That’s brilliant!

Two wee observations:

Bannons hair :wow: 

And, I’ve never even heard of Ken Halley!

I've heard of Gordon Brown

A hit for The Stranglers

Maroon Sailor
3 hours ago, dannymack said:

Thicker material though. 

And no sponsor

Though the guy on the right has a maroon Umbro logo - the black looks better

15 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

A hit for The Stranglers

:rofl:

You ok, mon ami?

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

:rofl:

You ok, mon ami?

Aye no so bad ! 👍

Edited by Maroon Sailor

11 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Aye no so bad ! 👍

Cool!

Good to hear.

• 4 months later...
Maroon Sailor
On 20/07/2019 at 08:34, Tommy Brown said:

Cruicky

hope this works.

great photo of our legend, but what ground?

On 20/07/2019 at 11:13, Deek said:

Is it Moilneaux?

4249f4ae8f4d930382b973946aa95d83.jpg.40aa54db8e1dd8479e0185f3ff3f5827.jpg

Wolves-80s-3.thumb.jpg.57e664a53c0389e495253d1edceef607.jpg

It could be Molinueux bearing in mind he couldn't wear his traditional gold top.

Hard to tell though as there is no Wolves colours in the crowd but the goal stanchions look similar

Edited by Maroon Sailor

annushorribilis III
10 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

4249f4ae8f4d930382b973946aa95d83.jpg.40aa54db8e1dd8479e0185f3ff3f5827.jpg

Wolves-80s-3.thumb.jpg.57e664a53c0389e495253d1edceef607.jpg

It could be Molinueux bearing in mind he couldn't wear his traditional gold top.

Hard to tell though as there is no Wolves colours in the crowd but the goal stanchions look similar

Not Molineux - I think it's St James. 

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

Not Molineux - I think it's St James. 

It's not St James'

B_YXmnlXAAApczN.jpg.3b3f63b5409b9537bc528a12aa212b3a.jpg

He wouldn't be wearing all black against Newcastle

annushorribilis III
7 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It's not St James'

B_YXmnlXAAApczN.jpg.3b3f63b5409b9537bc528a12aa212b3a.jpg

He wouldn't be wearing all black against Newcastle

That pic was taken after Hearts played there. 

Maroon Sailor
9 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

That pic was taken after Hearts played there. 

Look at the goal area - looks end of season and could be the 71 final at Molineux 

4249f4ae8f4d930382b973946aa95d83.jpg

St James' Park Leazes End terrace went round at the corner flag - that ground above doesn't

Edited by Maroon Sailor

18 minutes ago, farin said:

Thats right, here’s a pic of the 2 strips in question.. 

DD812CE5-8BE9-461D-930C-FD0E3A476CAD.thumb.jpeg.0c596198db7663e8fc80c5e29d8b08c6.jpeg

Think I got all the team apart from front second left, can't mind his first name..

Edited by assessor
Missed word

On 22/07/2019 at 21:53, Maroon Sailor said:

A hit for The Stranglers

Get a "Grip" on yourself

46 minutes ago, assessor said:

Think I got all the team apart from front second left, can't mind his first name..

Eh... Jim Jefferies?

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, farin said:

Still have the prog from that game, they did a 2 page spread on the Tynecastle game.

3207F356-7CDE-48D6-B057-F49A9269C35E.thumb.jpeg.039ed34572c44d5bc4135dbf295a548b.jpeg

Was that strip their Texaco cup kit ?

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, farin said:

Sorry I was talking about Wolves, I can’t remember ever seeing us wear that exact top again though. Variations of it yes. 

There wouldn't have been any need for Hearts to change for Wolves, so that's what got me thinking they might have worn the stripes kit for the Texaco cup matches 

On 17 July 2019 at 22:48, wavydavy said:

I think this is George (Sticky) Wood who never made it a Hearts unfortunately but he was a decent player as a youngster and moved to Dundee Utd but never made it there either.

Drew Young I would say.

1 hour ago, leginten said:

League Cup game against Airdrie from 1971. Drew Busby scoring for them.

Ruby Murray about all he did in a hearts strip 

Edited by troy
Wrong spelling

Francis Albert
On 17/07/2019 at 20:20, vasco said:

Looking at the top photograph and remembering these first team players, how the f#ck did we get relegated? I was at every game that season, and this side was miles better than the '79 or '81 relegation teams.

No-one really believed it could happen. Remember some snearing at the idea we couldn't finish above a wee team from the seaside ( Ayr). The sort of complacency we sometimes hear today.

4 minutes ago, troy said:

Ruby Murray about all he did in a hearts strip 

Although I must have seen him play, I’ll freely admit that I had completely forgotten about him until I watched that video.

On 17/07/2019 at 22:22, Jambo-Fox said:

Ian Sneddon??

6F2DDCE7-7275-4B98-970D-3AAFA2390450.jpeg

It is definitely George Wood who lived at Broomhouse  (Calder Rd) right opposite the pub called the Silver Wing. I was at school with him and used to play in the same team as him.

He played for Salveson BC before signing for Hearts. Never quite made it at Hearts and moved to Dundee Utd.

17 hours ago, leginten said:

Although I must have seen him play, I’ll freely admit that I had completely forgotten about him until I watched that video.

That was as good as he got ,but got plenty of chances 

On 17/07/2019 at 20:23, A Shoreditch Heart said:

Ralph Callahan and Eamon Bannon in the same team photo - my two big heroes of the post Busby / Ford era , but I think we sold Callahan to Newcastle before that awful 76/77 season even started 

I have a vague recollection of selling him the night we got thrashed at parkhead, I was sad to see him go and even sadder when he signed for the warrior poets .

6 hours ago, wavydavy said:

It is definitely George Wood who lived at Broomhouse  (Calder Rd) right opposite the pub called the Silver Wing. I was at school with him and used to play in the same team as him.

He played for Salveson BC before signing for Hearts. Never quite made it at Hearts and moved to Dundee Utd.

Davy, didn’t Ian (Chippy) Wood go from Salvie to Dundee FC? 

22 hours ago, farin said:

Yep, our home kit would have been fine. Without checking further I’d say it was a ‘one off’ kit for the tournament.

I mind in these b&w tv days teams used to sometimes change for the camera’s on a rare occasion. 😄 

Hearts brought out the "Texaco" strip as our floodlights just met the minimum for colour TV in those days. The white with  maroon stripes was much clearer. We had to add an extra bank of brighter lights to each pylon when we ended up in the Cup Winners Cup in 1976 to meet EUFA standards.

Edited by andythejambo
Typo

3 hours ago, dode said:

I have a vague recollection of selling him the night we got thrashed at parkhead, I was sad to see him go and even sadder when he signed for the warrior poets .

Aye, that was a real sickener when he came back to them. They were better than us both on and off the field in those days though. 🤷🏼‍♂️

22 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

No-one really believed it could happen. Remember some snearing at the idea we couldn't finish above a wee team from the seaside ( Ayr). The sort of complacency we sometimes hear today.

It was a huge shock. I don’t thnk anyone could believe it had happened. 

What a midfield trio - Wilson Wood, Jim Townsend and Jim Brown!

I don’t think they played many games together.

I once saw Jim Townsend sent off at Aberdeen .... I think it was something to do with a disputed decision and his head coming in contact with the linesman!

And it might have been the same game that Hearts were 3-0 down but drew 3-3!

3 hours ago, Hook said:

Davy, didn’t Ian (Chippy) Wood go from Salvie to Dundee FC? 

No Chippy went to a lower league club down south with a job as part of the deal. The one I am talking about is George (Sticky) Wood who was his older brother.

Joined Hearts straight from School and then went to Dundee Utd. Never made it at either club unfortunately.

Just now, wavydavy said:

No Chippy went to a lower league club down south with a job as part of the deal. The one I am talking about is George (Sticky) Wood who was his older brother.

Joined Hearts straight from School and then went to Dundee Utd. Never made it at either club unfortunately.

Chippy and Sticky...them were the days lad!! 😄

Just now, davemclaren said:

Chippy and Sticky...them were the days lad!! 😄

Ironically their father was also called Sticky and before anyone asks he was not a joiner. 😀

1 hour ago, Jambo-Fox said:

What a midfield trio - Wilson Wood, Jim Townsend and Jim Brown!

I don’t think they played many games together.

I once saw Jim Townsend sent off at Aberdeen .... I think it was something to do with a disputed decision and his head coming in contact with the linesman!

And it might have been the same game that Hearts were 3-0 down but drew 3-3!

Ignore the comment on the score I was wrong! Actually 2-1 down and won 2-3!

Back in the decade of long hair, tank-tops and Gorgie Boys with laced up boots and courduroys!

More than 20,000 fans headed for Pittodrie on a dank November afternoon in 1971.

It appeared Aberdeen’s frustration at failing to break through the Hearts defence was boiling over. Robb was booked just before half time for a crude foul on Jim Townsend. Half time arrived with a somewhat surprising goalless scoreline - but with hackles Raised!

Great work by Hearts Tommy Murray took him beyond his Aberdeen namesake George before he passed to Donald Ford who fired in a great goal from an acute angle (0-1)

Harper equalised (1-1) then 

With fifteen minutes left, an already controversial game erupted once more when Aberdeen took the lead. There was more than a suspicion of offside when Davie Robb latched on to a long through ball and danced away from the Hearts defence. Robb finished with aplomb but the Hearts players were furious to the extent Jim Townsend was sent off as he doth protest too much. (2-1)

With Townsend seemed to go Hearts hopes of getting anything from the game. We reckoned, however, without Donald Ford!!

There were just four minutes to go when Ford eluded his marker in the Aberdeen defence to head past a startled Bobby Clark to level the score. (2-2) Those Hearts fans who remained in the ground (I was one!!) roared their delight - which would turn to ecstasy in injury time!

Aberdeen’s defenders looked shell-shocked, which may well have contributed to Ford having the freedom of Union Street to place another header beyond Clark to snatch a sensational winner for Hearts.

Aberdeen 2 Heart of Midlothian 3 was the final score. Hearts fans danced (Well I actually jumped up and down!) on the terracing!!
Edited by Jambo-Fox

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, dannymack said:

At Tynecastle Park for the first leg.

Screenshot_20191114_223025.jpg

That Hearts kit would be a cracking away kit 

A Shoreditch Heart
On 27/11/2019 at 00:16, Jambo-Fox said:

I thought at the end of November 1971/72 it was going to be ‘the year’, alas not it just got worse and worse!

F919ACF1-E48C-4AB4-ADFD-F61317E6FDBB.jpeg