Congratulations, Halkett and McDonald

tartofmidlothian

Stupid Sexy Flanders

I love wee Tony McDonald, hopefully we'll see more of him, Cochrane, Conor Smith and Andy Irving this season.

Mr Elwood P
2 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

I love wee Tony McDonald, hopefully we'll see more of him, Cochrane, Conor Smith and Andy Irving this season.

Young Hickey the pick of the bunch for me and the one who will be afforded most game time.

tartofmidlothian
1 minute ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

Does McDonald play on the right or left ? Or both ? 

On the right I think, Zanatta on the left.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Young Hickey the pick of the bunch for me and the one who will be afforded most game time.

Hickey as well, definitely. 👍

4 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

Hickey as well, definitely. 👍

Zanatta and Keena too. Could genuinely be a fun season if all these lads grab it

tartofmidlothian
1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Zanatta and Keena too. Could genuinely be a fun season if all these lads grab it

Not a big fan of Zanatta's crossing tonight, both did well otherwise. Not much time on the park for Keena, mind you.

The Future's Maroon
15 minutes ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

Does McDonald play on the right or left ? Or both ? 

I think the way they are being coached and taught, multiple positions would be the answer!

Edited by The Future's Maroon

1 hour ago, tartofmidlothian said:

On their debut goals for us. Both good finishes, McDonald's was the end of a lovely move.

:greatpost:

They were both excellent tonight.  Gives CL a challenge where he plays them once the league starts.

Halkett was assured and confident, a bullett header for his goal

mcdonald’s was a beauty, as hearts twitter said, liquid football

tartofmidlothian
3 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Hickey & McDonald 2 stand out youngsters for me this season.

McDonald was excellent tonight. 

I remember seeing McDonald's debut. It wasn't that he was a great stand out, but he was so confident and composed that it could have been his 50th or 100th appearance.

He's overtaken Cochrane as a starter.

2 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

I remember seeing McDonald's debut. It wasn't that he was a great stand out, but he was so confident and composed that it could have been his 50th or 100th appearance.

What McDonald has that very few Hearts players have is vision. He sees runners, he knows where people are on the pitch when he gets the ball.  

Execution tonight excellent,  took a few sore ones but just smiled and carried on, he could have had a hat trick of goals and assists tonight.

Like to see Walker in cm beside Clare with McDonald on the right,  that could be very interesting.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
7 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

His wee chipped through ball for Isma to score. For a 16 year old laddie to do that 20 minutes into his debut was unreal. 

1 hour ago, tartofmidlothian said:

On their debut goals for us. Both good finishes, McDonald's was the end of a lovely move.

Didn't McDonald get off the mark vs ICT (Beith benefit match)? Good to see him on the scoresheet again. Will do his confidence some good

Saint Jambo

One for London Hearts probably, but where does 8 minutes rank for quickest goals by a Hearts player on their debut?

tartofmidlothian
7 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

His wee chipped through ball for Isma to score. For a 16 year old laddie to do that 20 minutes into his debut was unreal. 

Yeah, and he almost scored himself.

Mr Elwood P
26 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Cochrane and McDonald play different positions though? If anything it seems that Andrew Irving is going to overtake Cochrane and McDonald may overtake Morrison and / or Zanatta.

2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Agree. 

Robbo-Jambo

Think Mcdonald, Keena and Irving will be the ones to watch this season for making a big impact. 

tartofmidlothian
9 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Think Mcdonald, Keena and Irving will be the ones to watch this season for making a big impact. 

Hickey too.

tartofmidlothian
24 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Cochrane and McDonald play different positions though? If anything it seems that Andrew Irving is going to overtake Cochrane and McDonald may overtake Morrison and / or Zanatta.

I know, I just mean they were the two big debutants that season and Cochrane was the big buzz at the time. Still plenty of time for him, though.

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

I know, I just mean they were the two big debutants that season and Cochrane was the big buzz at the time. Still plenty of time for him, though.

Hopefully both can go on to play 100+ games for Hearts. I think this season could be quite exciting in terms of player development. We’ve got the academy players mentioned in this thread and then young players that we’ve acquired such as Souttar, Halkett, Uche, Clare and Mulraney.  Lots of room for growth and development in this squad.

tartofmidlothian
3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Hopefully both can go on to play 100+ games for Hearts. I think this season could be quite exciting in terms of player development. We’ve got the academy players mentioned in this thread and then young players that we’ve acquired such as Souttar, Halkett, Uche, Clare and Mulraney.  Lots of room for growth and development in this squad.

Spot on.

Saint Jambo
1 hour ago, Saint Jambo said:

One for London Hearts probably, but where does 8 minutes rank for quickest goals by a Hearts player on their debut?

Had a look at London Hearts. Can't answer my question because don't have times of goals for first few decades. But it seems to have been the quickest goal by a Hearts player on their debut since 18 April 1981 when Scot Maxwell scored on his debut after 5minutes against St Mirren (his only ever first team game for the club).

Hope all the young guys kick on. I think a wee loan for Cochrane might be the best thing for him. He's been unlucky with injuries and you can see he looks a bit rusty when he does play so a spell at a championship club might be the best thing for him so he can get a run of games. 

grumpy rebus
7 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Did Derek O’Connor not score early in his debut against Aberdeen?

I may be completely wrong, but I think he did. Claiming the old age/fading memory card here 😂😂

Guest ToqueJambo
7 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

I think Rudi got off the mark pretty quick but maybe not that quick?

6 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Had a look at London Hearts. Can't answer my question because don't have times of goals for first few decades. But it seems to have been the quickest goal by a Hearts player on their debut since 18 April 1981 when Scot Maxwell scored on his debut after 5minutes against St Mirren (his only ever first team game for the club).

What a story for the grandkids. I've played and scored for the famous

A_A wehatethehibs

Delighted for the both of them, if Halkett can replicate his goalscoring from Livi it will be a major boost for Hearts. Great for him to get off the mark in his first game and put on a controlled display.

Mcdonald well we know what the boy has in his locker it’s about bringing that to the pitch. If he puts his mind to it, he could be as good as if not better than Ryan Gauld’s breakthrough seasons.

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, grumpy rebus said:

I may be completely wrong, but I think he did. Claiming the old age/fading memory card here 😂😂

Scored after about 2 minutes with his first touch

So you're correct (on both counts)  :D

Saint Jambo
2 hours ago, grumpy rebus said:

You are right. London Hearts has it listed as 1st minute. October 1978.

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

I think Rudi got off the mark pretty quick but maybe not that quick?

Going by London Hearts it was the 12th minute.

Olly Lee last year took 11minutes at Cove Rangers.

wee tony done eactly what we have been sscreaming out for for his goal quick thinking pass and move forward and get on the end of your own move you started in your own half.  

Something we didnt have in Djoum/Lee etc. great to see. Hopefull ysee more of this approach this season instead of hoofing it. 

tartofmidlothian
3 hours ago, Herbert said:

Hope all the young guys kick on. I think a wee loan for Cochrane might be the best thing for him. He's been unlucky with injuries and you can see he looks a bit rusty when he does play so a spell at a championship club might be the best thing for him so he can get a run of games. 

ICT with Robbo until January could be what he needs, it seems to have done the trick for McDonald.

9 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

ICT with Robbo until January could be what he needs, it seems to have done the trick for McDonald.

That's what I thought. They would get a good player and harry would get the guidance of a legend.

3 hours ago, grumpy rebus said:

He did ! goodness I was at that game Sooooo long ago!!  I seem to remember he scored with his first touch but can't remember how early

2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Scored after about 2 minutes with his first touch

So you're correct (on both counts)  :D

Oops T beat me to it!!

Unknown user

Interview with young Anthony here, says that although he's a lefty he's comfortable on either side but likes to cut in and make things happen. Which of course puts you in mind of Arjen Robben cutting inside and scoring the same goal again and again

https://youtu.be/uoZ4jhE_FVw

Well, we can dream eh?