Hearts Supporters’ Team of the 21st Century

Beast Boy

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Ah, see that’s where I think your memories are clouded. 

Suso took part in a training camp in Germany where a few bellend Hearts supporters made their way over and got absolutely wasted. Drunkenly wrote the new winger off as a waiter and all slapped each other on the back about how humorous they were.

Suso then played a couple of friendlies back home, against Bolton and Sunderland, and the boy was quite clearly a baller. Both Bolton and Sunderland has to double up on him and he gave their very capable fullbacks a torrid time. 

Skinned players for fun and was liable to score or assist afterwards. Very underrated player who was disliked by some for reasons other than ability and effort. Some clung on to the words of morons and refused to recognise this, despite his performances time and time again. He then suffered a hernia and that limited his game time and performances including coming back and getting back up to speed again.

As for arguing, thank god he cared enough to not like losing. Give me a good player with fire in his belly every day of the week.

All IMO of course. 👍

Well I know nothing of the waiter thing, and that’s not nice to hear. My opinion of him is purely ability based and I didn’t think he was that special. But that’s football all about opinions. 

SpruceBringsteen

I've had a good think, and I'll go for:

Niemi/Gordon (can't pick between them)

Neilson

Fyssas

Berra

Zaliukas (captain)

MacFarlane

Paterson

Hartley

Skacel

Velicka

Naismith

Missed 2000-04 so mines would be

Gordon

Paterson

Berra

Zaliukas 

Fyssas 

Templeton 

Hartley 

Haring

Skacel

Bednar

Lafferty

Quite a few players missing from that but I've always found we get multiple good players in one position (rb for example) and only ever really have one standout amongst a pile of absolute shite others (lb). I've also tried spreading it out from my first seasons as a fan and more recent players 

32 minutes ago, cheetah said:

What the hell is going on here?

Exactly what I said when I saw him playing with my own eyes, after a certain former Prime Minister inspired JKB poster had written him off as a waiter.

1 hour ago, Jamboross said:

Niemi 

Neilson, Webster, Pressley, Fyssas

Kingston, Hartley, Cameron, Skacel

Pinilla, Jankauskas

Kingston and Pinilla based on the ability we knew they had but just never saw enough of. 

We had only a season of Jankauskas trying as well.

A brilliant season at that though.

Kingston was brilliant at the start but his antics at the end were a disgrace.

Pinilla great for 3 games then took Hearts to the cleaners.

Jambo 4 Ever
5 hours ago, TheStig said:

Niemi

Nelson

Webster

Zaliukas

Fyssas

Hartley

Cameron

Stamp

Naismith

Kyle

Skacel

Webster ahead of Pressley?

i think not 

24 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

i think not 

How about sticking your team up? 👍

I'm gonna throw this into the discussion to mix it up.

Bednar, Pospisil and Jankauskas hardly set the heather alight with goals.

They may have a "legend" status with fans but you could argue they didn't live up to their potential.

Thoughts?

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

They may have a "legend" status with fans but you could argue they didn't live up to their potential.

Thoughts?

They ragdolled Scottish defences, creating space for Rudi and Hartley to score loads. Opposition defenders hated facing us that season. 

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

They ragdolled Scottish defences, creating space for Rudi and Hartley to score loads. Opposition defenders hated facing us that season. 

I don't question their influence. But as goalscorers....Velicka gave us a much better average return. So did Lafferty.

I'm just stirring the discussion pot. I've not posted my team as Im struggling to decide.

I know I'd pick Niemi over Gordon. Both fantastic but I still think Niemi was one of the best value for money buys. (Was he not 3rd choice at Rangers when we signed him?)

Fyssas, Pressley, Hartley and Skacel are definites for me.

Jamie Walker is a good potential shout for us as well. Plenty goals and assists. Still young and back with us.

1 hour ago, benny said:

We had only a season of Jankauskas trying as well.

A brilliant season at that though.

Kingston was brilliant at the start but his antics at the end were a disgrace.

Pinilla great for 3 games then took Hearts to the cleaners.

I loved Larry's 2 inch heidie against Rangers. He liked a goal against Murderwell and I seem to remember him and Andy Driver being on the same wave length.( I could be wrong) I thought he was some player when he wanted to be.

I liked Nade too, so my judgement might be off. :D

59 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Thoughts?

Janny was class, pure and simple(That strike against Thistle) and Bednar should have went to the very top. Michel was to me, anyway, back up for those two .

1 hour ago, Natural Orders said:

i think not 

Ability wise there's no doubting pressley, but he doesn't get in my team simply for the celtic chest pump v us.

Gordon

Paterson

Pressley

Webster

Fyssas

Naismith

Hartley

Brellier

Skacel

Bednar

Jankauskas

18 hours ago, Smithee said:

It's funny, that's how I remember it too but when I checked he only actually scored 4 goals that season. 

In fact he only scored 12 overall for us, and 6 of them were against Dunfermline!

He left us in January '08, scored 2 goals on the last day of that season for his new club who were already relegated, and never scored a top team goal again.

That's blew me right out the water. We're those just league goals? Did he have a good run in the cup?

I always remember that period as hearts being free scoring and Pospisil and Bednar just taking the Mick up here. Amazing how a good story gets in the way of the truth eh? 

9 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Gordon

Paterson

Pressley

Webster

Fyssas

Naismith

Hartley

Brellier

Skacel

Bednar

Jankauskas

Brellier, the man was exceptional. Genuinely looked like he never had to get out of second gear when he played. Comfortable all day long. 

Can't believe he's not been mentioned more here. 

14 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

i think not 

What’s your Caeculum XXI, mate?

Unknown user
49 minutes ago, Blacky87 said:

That's blew me right out the water. We're those just league goals? Did he have a good run in the cup?

I always remember that period as hearts being free scoring and Pospisil and Bednar just taking the Mick up here. Amazing how a good story gets in the way of the truth eh? 

Like I said to the other guy that's how I remember it too, but he got a total of 12 goals in all competitions over 2 and a half seasons. 6 against dunfermline, the rest against Aberdeen, United, Killie and Falkirk, so it's not even like it was big games he scored in. 

That first season he was pretty reliable though, 7 in 22 league games isn't bad at all for a backup striker, that's probably what we're all remembering.

I always had Eggert Jonson down as a good player as well. But he seems mostly forgotten by us now. Or well as far as I can tell!

2 hours ago, R1874 said:

Gordon

Paterson

Pressley

Zal

Berra

Fysass

Hartley

Bruno

Skacel

Naismith

Jankauskas 

Bruno Aguiar, could do with a player like him right now! 

andyscott82
22 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

Niemi

Paterson      Webster    Pressley     Fyssas

Aguiar       Fulton

Hartley         Naismith       Skacel

Jankauskas

That’s hard to beat, but I’d swap Aguiar for Cameron, drop Hartley into Fulton’s slot and bring in Driver. 

I could also quite happily swap Fuller or Bednar in for Janny, but hard to pick between the three. 

andyscott82
22 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

Niemi

Paterson      Webster    Pressley     Fyssas

Aguiar       Fulton

Hartley         Naismith       Skacel

Jankauskas

That’s hard to beat, but I’d swap Aguiar for Cameron, drop Hartley into Fulton’s slot and bring in Driver. 

I could also quite happily swap Fuller or Bednar in for Janny, but hard to pick between the three. 

Byyy The Light
2 hours ago, andyscott82 said:

I'd be happy with swapping Bruno out for Cameron and swapping him and Hartley but Bagg-i-o-o-o-o before Driver every day of the week!

Agreed on the striker too, be happy with any of them.

andyscott82
32 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

I'd be happy with swapping Bruno out for Cameron and swapping him and Hartley but Bagg-i-o-o-o-o before Driver every day of the week!

Agreed on the striker too, be happy with any of them.

I’d agree Fulton was the better footballer out of him and Driver, and if it was a midfield 3 he’d be in there. But since it’s a 2, putting Hartley out wide would be a waste, and Hartley over Fulton definitely. So Driver (pre injury) gets the nod out wide (imo, of course). 

Love that we’ve got so many difficult choices to be honest, shows how lucky we’ve been at various points!

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, andyscott82 said:

I’d agree Fulton was the better footballer out of him and Driver, and if it was a midfield 3 he’d be in there. But since it’s a 2, putting Hartley out wide would be a waste, and Hartley over Fulton definitely. So Driver (pre injury) gets the nod out wide (imo, of course). 

Love that we’ve got so many difficult choices to be honest, shows how lucky we’ve been at various points!

Fair enough. I don’t see it being a rigid formation. Just give those lot the ball and let them play. It would rain goals! 

andyscott82
2 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

Fair enough. I don’t see it being a rigid formation. Just give those lot the ball and let them play. It would rain goals! 

I thought you came up with the perfect formation! 😃 But aye, they’d pump everybody who stood in their way!

Unknown user
1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

He scored against hibs. After 30 seconds or so and London hearts also has him scoring v. Celtic. 

I clearly remember the hibs goal hence my post but I can’t remember the Celtic goal at all. 

To be fair he’s best remembered for his wife although he scored a belter against the sheep. 

You're right, latching on to a long ball against hibs, celtic I don't remember either. I think I'm missing the games after the split that season

Niemi

Fyssas

Elvis

Webster

Paterson

Skacel

Hartley

Brellier

Mikoliunas

Jankauskas

Naismith

I'd have the pre Bosman Andy Webster ahead of Christophe any day.

For me, because of all the baggage and controversy that surrounded Miko, people don't give him the credit for how good he was for us. Suso was decent, but a close second for me. Miko was an integral part of that August to December 2005 midfield. It was a joy to watch. 

1 hour ago, blairdin said:

Niemi

Fyssas

Elvis

Webster

Paterson

Skacel

Hartley

Brellier

Mikoliunas

Jankauskas

Naismith

I'd have the pre Bosman Andy Webster ahead of Christophe any day.

For me, because of all the baggage and controversy that surrounded Miko, people don't give him the credit for how good he was for us. Suso was decent, but a close second for me. Miko was an integral part of that August to December 2005 midfield. It was a joy to watch. 

Really liked Miko too. Suso just edges him for me. The way some Hearts supporters turned on Miko was pretty embarrassing and nauseating tbh. Siding with the SFA and wanks like Richard Gordon over a player who was giving his all for us every time he took to the pitch? Sad times.

Seems to have been a shortage of good right backs . 

I'd have Paterson in my team but not as right back . Robbie just wasn't very good , but (perhaps) an integral part of a defensive unit .

People on here slag off Michael Smith !