Hearts Supporters’ Team of the 21st Century

Beast Boy

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/hearts-21st-century-xi-the-two-strikers-revealed-1-4964974

Niemi

Fyssas

Berra

Pressley

Patterson

Skacel

Hartley

Cameron

Flogel

DeVries

Jankauskas

More of a popularity contest than a team picked on either ability alone, or blend and balance. Interesting though nonetheless. CB obviously the most controversial, as you would expect. Goalkeeper probably the toughest choice for most people. Some unbelievable players not making it in due to an outstanding alternative in their position. Paterson as the RB is another one that probably doesn’t fit for many, as despite playing there for us, it’s not proved to be his best position.

Whats everyone else’s Hearts 21st Century XI? Mine is probably:

Gordon

Fyssas

Webster

Pressley

Patterson

Skacel

Hartley

Cameron

Suso

Fuller

Jankauskas

NB- I’d probably have had Hristos Karipidis in there beside Hartley or Cameron, but genuinely find it hard to separate the two of them. Probably have him beside Hartley, but feels terrible dropping Cameron.

Bit of fun obviously, but almost inevitably will turn in to a boring thread about Gordon, Webster, Pressley and Zaliukas and whether or not they are reptilian in nature. 🙄

Edited by Icon of Symmetry
Quick change on the right flank

4 minutes ago, 4forDevries said:

Such a tease.....when we have our current midfield 🤤

Maybe in ten years time Haring, Smith, Irving and Cochrane will be competing for a slot? 😜

Gordon 

Neilson

Webster

Presley

Takis

Skacel

Hartley

Fulton

McCann 

Bednar

Kyle

9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Gordon 

Neilson

Webster

Presley

Takis

Skacel

Hartley

Fulton

McCann 

Bednar

Kyle

McCann is a tricky one (no pun intended). The player we got back in 2006 was a shadow of the 1996-1998 player. That’s where we start getting in to the realms of whether we are talking about a player in their prime, or when they were at Hearts in the 21st century. 

OmiyaHearts
43 minutes ago, 4forDevries said:

Such a tease.....when we have our current midfield 🤤

I'd take any one of those outfield players in our midfield just now.

6 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

McCann is a tricky one (no pun intended). The player we got back in 2006 was a shadow of the 1996-1998 player. That’s where we start getting in to the realms of whether we are talking about a player in their prime, or when they were at Hearts in the 21st century. 

Thought I'd cheat a wee bit. :D

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Thought I'd cheat a wee bit. :D

It's always the way with these things, eh? It starts out a pretty simple exercise, and the caveats start popping up! :lol:

mickycameron98

Ok i would probably go...

Gordon

Fyssas

Pressley

Berra

Neilson

Skacel

Cameron

Hartley

Suso

Naismith

Jankauskas

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/hearts-21st-century-xi-the-two-strikers-revealed-1-4964974

Niemi

Fyssas

Berra

Pressley

Patterson

Skacel

Hartley

Cameron

Flogel

DeVries

Jankauskas

More of a popularity contest than a team picked on either ability alone, or blend and balance. Interesting though nonetheless. CB obviously the most controversial, as you would expect. Goalkeeper probably the toughest choice for most people. Some unbelievable players not making it in due to an outstanding alternative in their position. Paterson as the RB is another one that probably doesn’t fit for many, as despite playing there for us, it’s not proved to be his best position.

Whats everyone else’s Hearts 21st Century XI? Mine is probably:

Gordon

Fyssas

Webster

Pressley

Patterson

Skacel

Hartley

Cameron

Suso

Fuller

Jankauskas

NB- I’d probably have had Hristos Karipidis in there beside Hartley or Cameron, but genuinely find it hard to separate the two of them. Probably have him beside Hartley, but feels terrible dropping Cameron.

Bit of fun obviously, but almost inevitably will turn in to a boring thread about Gordon, Webster, Pressley and Zaliukas and whether or not they are reptilian in nature. 🙄

Suso? Before the likes of Neil McCann?

1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

Suso? Before the likes of Neil McCann?

Yes, I’d have Suso playing wide right. Certainly before the 2006 central midfield version of Neil McCann. 

All opinion I guess but I was never a fan of Suso. McCann on his day was unplayable, couldn’t take a corner though, that used to bug me!

Edited by Rudy T

13 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

All opinion I guess but I was never a fan of Suso. McCann on his day was unplayable, couldn’t take a corner though, that used to bug me!

Sadly though his day was not the 21st century.

Niemi.

Nelson.

Webster.

Presley.

Fyssas.

Driver

Skacel

Hartley

Cameron

MDV.

Bednar.

44 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

The problem with McCann second time around was his pace had fell way off yet most games he was still used as an out and out winger.

In the rare occasions that he was played in a more central role I thought he did a lot better. He was still a talented player.

Anyway, getting off topic I know.

27 minutes ago, benny said:

Sadly though his day was not the 21st century.

Niemi.

Nelson.

Webster.

Presley.

Fyssas.

Driver

Skacel

Hartley

Cameron

MDV.

Bednar.

Thats fair I suppose. Salvatori would’ve been in every team but he’s was 1999 I’m sure. 

Still not having Suso mind you. Think I’d go Driver.

6 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Thats fair I suppose. Salvatori would’ve been in every team but he’s was 1999 I’m sure. 

You’d play Andy Driver on the wrong side rather than Suso? 

Just now, Icon of Symmetry said:

You’d play Andy Driver on the wrong side rather than Suso? 

Tbh I’d play most ahead of Suso.

Just now, Rudy T said:

Tbh I’d play most ahead of Suso.

Why? Suso was an extremely good player who could beat a man for fun, often two men at a time, could score goals and got plenty assists. He’s also a cup winning legend who gave absolutely everything for the team every time he stepped in the pitch.

Gordon

Paterson, Zal, Berra, Takis

Karapidis

Cameron Hartley Skacel

Janny Velicka

28 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Why? Suso was an extremely good player who could beat a man for fun, often two men at a time, could score goals and got plenty assists. He’s also a cup winning legend who gave absolutely everything for the team every time he stepped in the pitch.

Aye, loved Suso. Had a bit of everything.  Scored some cracking goals too. 

3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Aye, loved Suso. Had a bit of everything.  Scored some cracking goals too. 

Great wee player. I'd have loved to have seen him in a stronger Hearts squad/era. Top scorer in the Csaba no strikers era too. :lol:

Cruyff Turn

Niemi

Paterson Pressley  Webster Fyssas

Flogel

Hartley Cameron Skacel 

MDV  Velicka

Niemi

Fyssas

Webster

Berra

Neilson  (200 games for club and when we played and won in Europe) ( other than that I have nothing to defend my choice here)

Skacel

Flogel

Cameron/Hartley (struggled here)

Suso

Pospisil

Bednar

Both strikers I remember seemed to bang goals in for a laugh but weren't Romanovs favourite. Well that's how I remember it? 

I can't fault anyone's selections just thought I'd throw some other names in there! 

Again feel I need to defend my Neilson selection, I just remember him being a constant when our team actually faired fairly well. 

Edited by Blacky87

10 minutes ago, Blacky87 said:

Niemi

Fyssas

Webster

Berra

Neilson  (200 games for club and when we played and won in Europe) ( other than that I have nothing to defend my choice here)

Skacel

Flogel

Cameron/Hartley (struggled here)

Suso

Pospisil

Bednar

Both strikers I remember seemed to bang goals in for a laugh but weren't Romanovs favourite. Well that's how I remember it? 

I can't fault anyone's selections just thought I'd throw some other names in there! 

Again feel I need to defend my Neilson selection, I just remember him being a constant when our team actually faired fairly well. 

Pospisil is a good shout. Think it was the 06/07 he went through a period of being deadly when coming on as a sub.

Colin Cameron moved to wolves in August 2001 and Thomas Flogel went back to Austria in summer 2002.

Even though they won the cup in ‘98 I think there are players who have been here since 2000 that have played for longer and achieved more in their time at Hearts from the turn of the century. 

Edited by ceefax

Brighton Jambo
6 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Pospisil is a good shout. Think it was the 06/07 he went through a period of being deadly when coming on as a sub.

Pospisil, Janny and Bednar, oh those were that days.  I remember the summer of 05 being a belter and those sunny August/September days when we were flying and those three were scoring for fun alongside Rudi and Hartley. 

Maybe rose tinted glasses but that was as good as I have seen it supporting Hearts.

1 minute ago, ceefax said:

Colin Cameron moves to wolves in August 2001 and Thomas Flogel went back to Austria in summer 2002.

Even though they won the cup in ‘98 I think there are players who have been here since 2000 that have played for longer and achieved more in the time at Hearts from the turn of the century. 

Mickey was still a top top player in Scottish terms when he left though. That's the criteria I was working with. Hence why I had Fuller in there too, despite his stay being short. Hard pushed to fine a player who played for us who was better than either of those two respectively, in their time as Hearts players in the 21st Century.

Gordon

Paterson.  Webster. Presley. Fyssas.  

Hartley. Cameron. Aguiar. 

Skacel. 

Jankauskas.  Bednar.  

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Niemi

Paterson Webster Pressley Fyssas

Hartley Aguiar Skacel

Fuller Pinilla

Jankauskas

29 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Pospisil, Janny and Bednar, oh those were that days.  I remember the summer of 05 being a belter and those sunny August/September days when we were flying and those three were scoring for fun alongside Rudi and Hartley. 

Maybe rose tinted glasses but that was as good as I have seen it supporting Hearts.

Don't forget Calum Elliot who looked like a fantastic prospect in that team.

Leveins Battalion
1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Niemi

Paterson Pressley  Webster Fyssas

Flogel

Hartley Cameron Skacel 

MDV  Velicka

Flogel was a strange one,I remember playing brilliantly at Pittodrie but never seemed a 1st pick for JJ,quality player though.

43 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Mickey was still a top top player in Scottish terms when he left though. That's the criteria I was working with. Hence why I had Fuller in there too, despite his stay being short. Hard pushed to fine a player who played for us who was better than either of those two respectively, in their time as Hearts players in the 21st Century.

Flogel and Cameron both played a minimum of 18 months for the club in 21st century then. Some of names listed spent less and certainly played less than either of those also. Fuller being the prime example. That run he made against Motherwell was outstanding. 

Unknown user
44 minutes ago, TheStig said:

It's funny, that's how I remember it too but when I checked he only actually scored 4 goals that season. 

In fact he only scored 12 overall for us, and 6 of them were against Dunfermline!

He left us in January '08, scored 2 goals on the last day of that season for his new club who were already relegated, and never scored a top team goal again.

Cruyff Turn
7 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Flogel was a strange one,I remember playing brilliantly at Pittodrie but never seemed a 1st pick for JJ,quality player though.

First season he certainly wasn’t. 

Still, couldn’t leave Tam oot.

Webster, Pressley, Fyssas, Cameron, Hartley, Skacel, MDV have to be in that team.

Then it’s a toss up between Gordon/Niemi, Patterson/Neilson, Flogel/Aguiar/Driver, Velicka/Bednar/Jankauskas.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Niemi  - Neilson, Zaliukas, Berra, Fyssas - Cameron, Hartley, Aguiar, Skacel - Jankauskas, Bednar

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Gordon 

Neilson

Webster

Presley

Takis

Skacel

Hartley

Fulton

McCann 

Bednar

Kyle

That midfield 😢

2 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Yeah I'd have Driver ahead of Suso too.

Byyy The Light

Niemi

Paterson      Webster    Pressley     Fyssas

Aguiar       Fulton

Hartley         Naismith       Skacel

Jankauskas

44 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's funny, that's how I remember it too but when I checked he only actually scored 4 goals that season. 

In fact he only scored 12 overall for us, and 6 of them were against Dunfermline!

He left us in January '08, scored 2 goals on the last day of that season for his new club who were already relegated, and never scored a top team goal again.

Its amazing/worrying how the mind works. Always had it in my head he scored a fair few for us.

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Its amazing/worrying how the mind works. Always had it in my head he scored a fair few for us.

In 05/06 he scored 8 from 22 appearances which is pretty impressive and probably where we're both getting the fond memories from, but only another 4 in the season and a half before he left.

2 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

He wasn’t really. Some clouded memories of Suso, probably fuelled by the cup final. He was in and out of the team, 50 appearances across 3 seasons and about 6 goals in total. He’d beat a man then do nothing or he’d beat a man and run it out the park. He spent more time arguing with officials, players and corner flags than he did on the pitch...IMO.

42 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

That midfield 😢

As someone said, I'd take any of those midfielders. Bruno and Julian were brilliant too,  in my eyes

1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

He wasn’t really. Some clouded memories of Suso, probably fuelled by the cup final. He was in and out of the team, 50 appearances across 3 seasons and about 6 goals in total. He’d beat a man then do nothing or he’d beat a man and run it out the park. He spent more time arguing with officials, players and corner flags than he did on the pitch...IMO.

Ah, see that’s where I think your memories are clouded. 

Suso took part in a training camp in Germany where a few bellend Hearts supporters made their way over and got absolutely wasted. Drunkenly wrote the new winger off as a waiter and all slapped each other on the back about how humorous they were.

Suso then played a couple of friendlies back home, against Bolton and Sunderland, and the boy was quite clearly a baller. Both Bolton and Sunderland has to double up on him and he gave their very capable fullbacks a torrid time. 

Skinned players for fun and was liable to score or assist afterwards. Very underrated player who was disliked by some for reasons other than ability and effort. Some clung on to the words of morons and refused to recognise this, despite his performances time and time again. He then suffered a hernia and that limited his game time and performances including coming back and getting back up to speed again.

As for arguing, thank god he cared enough to not like losing. Give me a good player with fire in his belly every day of the week.

All IMO of course. 👍

Brighton Jambo

In the same way the some on here don't see it in Suso I will confess to never really seeing it in Aguiar.  Don't get me wrong he was clearly a talent but if we are all honest he wouldn't have been first choice had Vlad not disliked Brellier so much.  Brellier, Hartley, Rudi were the first choice midfield in 2006 with Aguiar an able deputy.  He never did nearly enough in the shirt for me to be considered in the same breath as Hartley, Cameron, Rudi, McCann, Fulton, etc

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

As someone said, I'd take any of those midfielders. Bruno and Julian were brilliant too,  in my eyes

Just realised my all time favourite Hearts midfielder Colin Cameron isn't even in it and I don't know who I'd take out to put him in. Possibly McCann but.....

Niemi 

Neilson, Webster, Pressley, Fyssas

Kingston, Hartley, Cameron, Skacel

Pinilla, Jankauskas

Kingston and Pinilla based on the ability we knew they had but just never saw enough of. 

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Suso took part in a training camp in Germany where a few bellend Hearts supporters made their way over and got absolutely wasted. Drunkenly wrote the new winger off as a waiter and all slapped each other on the back about how humorous they were.

What the hell is going on here?