Thoughts After Last Night.....

busby1985

William H. Bonney

A few individual performances aside we were poor last night. It’s early doors so it’s not fair to be too critical but if we don’t add quality to the midfield we are in for a long season. 

47 minutes ago, siegementality said:

So we are looking for teams to have went backwards rather than us improve?

Well I would think that you would need to know if they have went backwards before you could be certain about where we might finish, even then it would still be a guess.

5 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Positives:

Walker. Looked lively and direct when we could get him on the ball. Some nice wee touches and passes between him and Washington. 

Washington. For his first exposure to Scottish football I thought he never stopped running and always made himself available even tho he wasn’t getting service. Some strikers we’ve had in the past would’ve just sulked at the lack of service, he got on with it. 

Hickey. Composed on the ball, great feet and always looking to go forward. Great prospect. 

Mikey Smith. Just a top player. 

Things to work on: 

Shape, again, was wrong. 442 didn’t work and we where outnumbered in midfield. United played 5 in the middle and it stopped Clare and Irving getting on the ball, facing the United goal looking to play forward passes. With the midfield outnumbered we reverted to type, like last season, and played the ball around the back till we played an out ball looking for either Uche or Mulraney. Yes, the 5 foot Mulraney 😂 was often hit with long balls out to him. People will say we dominated possession but the truth is United where happy for us to have the ball as we weren’t hurting them with it and where playing everything in front of them, that’s easy to defend against. 

Tempo. Far too slow on the ball. Too many touches. Didn’t get the ball out wide quick enough. When the tempo is that slow it makes players like Washington, Walker and Uche drop into the all ready crowded midfield and they can’t effect the game, especially with their back to the goal. When we did manage to get little over loads out wide we hit decent balls into the middle, Washington should’ve scored his header from Mulraney’s cross. Walker had a few chances too. A change in shape should help the tempo and also Naisy will help that. 

Bobby. Again he’s at fault for the goal. His positioning was all wrong. I don’t buy for a second we aren’t looking for a keeper. If Gordon for example becomes available, he’ll be at Hearts. Bobby is decent in spells but you always know he has a heart in mouth moment and that must effect the defence. 

Negatives: 

Berra and Souttar. Something just isn’t right with them two at the moment. They are being asked to be on the ball and neither of them look like they enjoy it. Berra will header and tackle anything but he can’t pick a pass. Any form of pressure on the two of them and they panic. Too many times last night they where “almost” caught on the ball or “almost” played the ball too short. 

Uche. Sorry but I just can’t see how the big man features in the team going forward. He’s slow, has no touch, carries no goal threat and doesn’t score. His awareness is non existent and he can’t pick a pass. The big man will never work in this side. He will always be seen as a target man or an out ball to Berra and Souttar. Uche with his back to goal is less than useless. Bags of desire and his attitude is bang on, he just isn’t a footballer. Walker, Naismith and Washington will work great together. I don’t see how someone like Uche fits into the side with them. I know people love him and this will annoy folk but it’s just my opinion, I can’t see him doing anything for Hearts. 

Like for like subs. We never changed shape during the match, even tho we where being outnumbered in midfield. We have no plan B, we just stick to plan A and hope that by changing the players something will change. We couldn’t get the ball on the deck in the middle of the park as United where man for man in there. Something that plagued us last year was our inability to adapt to what was happening in games and change accordingly. The cup final is a great example of that. Like for like subs with 20/15/10 minutes to go, very rarely change a game. 

Highlight of the game. The random Chinese man being removed from the main stand for being on his phone??? Stewards just gathered round him and kicked him out. Don’t know if he was streaming the game or something. Was random. 

The main stand looks amazing. They’ve done an amazing job over the summer. 

Pretty spot on post, especially the bit in bold.

For me, Uche hasn't got it. When Naismith is available, our front 4 should be Walker, Naismith, Washington and Mulraney. IMO that is a fluent front 4 that can rotate and cause teams all sorts of problems. It should also naturally stop our two CB's from shelling aimless balls.

I watched Uche pretty closely last night, and noticed that he never really looked at his strike partner once. When you play as a front two you need to have an understanding with one another, and I noticed a few times in the second half (closer to where I was sitting) Washington looking towards Uche to try and give a bit of encouragment or have a wee bit of verbal, etc, but Uche just walks about with his head down. They never spoke or shouted at each other once.

I get that they are new team mates and strikers need time to gel, but for me, Uche comes across as a very selfish player, and not in an 'all good stikers are sefish' way either.

19 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Pretty spot on post, especially the bit in bold.

For me, Uche hasn't got it. When Naismith is available, our front 4 should be Walker, Naismith, Washington and Mulraney. IMO that is a fluent front 4 that can rotate and cause teams all sorts of problems. It should also naturally stop our two CB's from shelling aimless balls.

I watched Uche pretty closely last night, and noticed that he never really looked at his strike partner once. When you play as a front two you need to have an understanding with one another, and I noticed a few times in the second half (closer to where I was sitting) Washington looking towards Uche to try and give a bit of encouragment or have a wee bit of verbal, etc, but Uche just walks about with his head down. They never spoke or shouted at each other once.

I get that they are new team mates and strikers need time to gel, but for me, Uche comes across as a very selfish player, and not in an 'all good stikers are sefish' way either.

I get slaughtered for it all the time on here as I have never seen anything in Uche. I love him, he has everything I want in a footballer, apart from the ability to play football. His desire is spot on, his attitude is incredible, he gets the club, understands what we are about, just doesn’t add anything to us. Feel sorry for him sometimes as there is nothing he can do when balls are shelled up to him, with his back to goal etc. He’s at his best when he’s attacking the ball and facing the oppositions goal with the ball at his feet. Souttar and Berra will always look to go long as an out without a Uche in the side. 

I agree with what you’ve said about last night. Walker and Washington has a wee spark, few nice touches into each other etc, Uche never linked with anyone. His awareness is awful, never puts his head up. 

Think he could be very handy from the bench, late in games etc. Naismith, Washington, Mulraney and Walker as a front 4 then Uche and Edwards off the bench when legs are tiring. 

Bazzas right boot

Was a good game in really bad weather. 

Slippy weather, one might say. 😉

If we'd scored first we'd have hammered them.

Positives 

Movement of walker and Washington will improve us up front, alot. They look intelligent, add Naismith in there 😁

Mulraney continued his good form. 

Hickey looked good. 

Walker was good

Smith was good 

Irving scored his first goal, fine goal as well. 

Passing and movement especially first 65 mins was good. 

Negatives 

Never worked thier keeper enough. 

Thier two chances should have been 2 goals. Reinforcing the need to score and be clinical. 

Clare, although won a good amount of tackles lacks the confidence, control and drive overall for a midfielder, this has been the issue since he arrived. 

CL says we are looking at least one in there tho so all OK. 

Uche, poor decision making at key times. Frustrating. 

Bobby is a concern. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

1 minute ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Positives 

Movement of walker and Washington will improve us up front, alot. 

Hickey looked good. 

Walker was good

Smith was good 

Negatives 

Thier two chances should have been 2 goals. Reinforcing the need to score and be clinical. 

Clare, although won a good amount of tackles lacks the confidence, control and drive overall for a midfielder, this has been the issue since he arrived. 

Bobby is a concern. 

Can’t argue with that. 

TyphoonJambo
4 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Positives 

Movement of walker and Washington will improve us up front, alot. They look intelligent, add Naismith in there 😁

Hickey looked good. 

Walker was good

Smith was good 

Negatives 

Bobby is a concern. 

So, to summarise, we just need Craig Gordon and Charlie Adams! Get it done Craig. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, TypoonJambo said:

So, to summarise, we just need Craig Gordon and Charlie Adams! Get it done Craig. 

Would be good. 

Got Haring and Naismith as well. 

Halkett for defence and white to replace Hickey when the need arrives. 

Not to forget guys like MacDonald (who I rate), Cochrane, Morrison, Keena and zannata. 

Uche's intelligence, link up and movement along with decision making was a big Suprise in that how bad it was compared to walker / Washington/ smith and clare/ Mulraney / Hickey. 

Head down, very little awareness.  Like he was playing by himself at times. 

The big lad has his attributes, great pass, decent shot and unlucky when he turned the defenders to get sythed down also got pushed in the coupon! 

He is effective, but his football intelligence was shown up last night in terms of the general play. 

16 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Would be good. 

Got Haring and Naismith as well. 

Halkett for defence and white to replace Hickey when the need arrives. 

Not to forget guys like MacDonald (who I rate), Cochrane, Morrison, Keena and zannata. 

Uche's intelligence, link up and movement along with decision making was a big Suprise in that how bad it was compared to walker / Washington/ smith and clare/ Mulraney / Hickey. 

Head down, very little awareness.  Like he was playing by himself at times. 

The big lad has his attributes, great pass, decent shot and unlucky when he turned the defenders to get sythed down also got pushed in the coupon! 

He is effective, but his football intelligence was shown up last night in terms of the general play. 

That’s a fair assessment of Uche. I want him to do well cause he has everything I want guys like Clare and that to have in terms of work rate and effort etc. He just makes the same mistakes every week. 

I really like the look of Hickey. I also liked the difference in terms of build of Zannatta. I also liked the fact that Zannatta roasted a few of our players when he didn’t get the ball. His little flick header was inches wide as well. I hope MacDonald features, I also really rate him. 

VagabondJambo
7 hours ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Positives:

. . . 

Hickey looked class yet again give that boy a 10 year deal and a buyout of £100million

. . .

This!

Thoughts are we'll struggle to score goals therefore every game will be hard work and it will be a very uneventful boring season with us finishing 5th or 6th. 

Long balls to Mulraney? Do you mean long diagonal passes to him on the wing? The ones that he collected and then ran at the opposition from, usually ending up putting in a dangerous cross or through ball?

5 hours ago, been here before said:

As with all these 'surprise' players, team soon find a way kf playing against them. Utd doubled up on him each time he got the ball. The trick is getting him to find the pass to exploit that.

The only way teams manage to play Uche, is by hitting him as hard as they possibly can with pre-determined impunity.

siegementality
3 hours ago, graygo said:

Well I would think that you would need to know if they have went backwards before you could be certain about where we might finish, even then it would still be a guess.

What if teams in the bottom six have improved?

Problem with Uche is he wants to do it all himself. I admire his determination but football is about intelligence as much as effort. 

He’s always set  to take the ball as if he’s decided already he’s going to ram someone coming from behind.  :oohmatron:

He needs to be already thinking where he can put the ball as it’s on it’s way ,or if he does have to go himself. I think the management had a word with him at half time because early in the second half he got himself moving quicker when the ball came to him. 

39 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Thoughts are we'll struggle to score goals therefore every game will be hard work and it will be a very uneventful boring season with us finishing 5th or 6th. 

FTH

Definitely still things to work on but I’m not too disheartened with the Utd game at all. We still have a half dozen 1st teamers to come back into the side, the young lads played well, again!, and walker , Washington and Halkett will improve us no end 

time will tell but this was only our first competitive match this season excluding the friendlies so even although we should be beating sides like Utd I still think we had enough chances to have won that game comfortably 

CloustonHMFC

First half I thought we were very good. We passed the ball around well, attacked with intensity and intent. The two failings of the first half were the shocking defending and positioning for their goal and our inability to score. These need worked on ASAP and hopefully a few goals over the next few games will see us hit our stride finishing wise.

Second half was brutal but the conditions worsened and definitely didn’t allow for a game of football to be played.

Uche is clearly not 100%,  it that’s was fairly well reported in the build up to the game. Washington looks like he could be very decent once he’s completely up to speed and Walker looks like he’s playing with hunger again and hopefully it continues. 

Keeper worries me a bit, but I’ve said previously that if the correct keeper should become available then we will go for one. No manager worth their salt would publicly say they want a new keeper if there’s a chance the right one isn’t going to come in.

Hickey looks class, I’d be looking for him to play 15+ games this season injuries allowing. White will need to be on top form to force his way into the team.

I love Berra but we need to drop him, use him as back up only. Great guy to have around the club and will be useful as back up but we need to move towards a Halkett & Souttar partnership. Personally I think we should give Souttar the captaincy too.

Michael Smith is a class act, absolutely love this guy and hardly ever has a bad performance.

Overall I don’t think we’re in bad shape for the coming season, time will tell but I’m confident things will click. 

6 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

A few individual performances aside we were poor last night. It’s early doors so it’s not fair to be too critical but if we don’t add quality to the midfield we are in for a long season. 

agreed.

Fantastic performance in very difficult conditions and a wonderful evening's entertainment for a measly £12.

What's not to like.

Oh yes, this is JKB..... 🤣🤣🤣🤣

William H. Bonney
9 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

Fantastic performance in very difficult conditions and a wonderful evening's entertainment for a measly £12.

What's not to like.

Oh yes, this is JKB..... 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Fantastic performance? 

3 hours ago, siegementality said:

What if teams in the bottom six have improved?

Well that kind of strengthens my argument about how nobody can be certain where we will finish.

18 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Fantastic performance? 

To be fair I had to watch on my phone as I'm on holiday but it was a good game to watch and we dominated it apart from a couple of lapses.

21 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Fantastic performance? 

Yes, thoroughly enjoyed it.

So many positive contributions.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
20 hours ago, jambonian said:

I was interested to see if Neilson has been able to adapt and change since he was at us but no....go a goal up then defend for the rest of the game. Not unlike a Neilson team to lose a goal with a minute to go (first half at least) Some of their fans were frustrated by this tactic, not unsurprisingly. So it looks like a hard struggle for them to get out of the Championship once again.

As for ourselves....taking the conditions into account, Hickey got man of the match, he really is a great wee player and reminds me of Gary Naysmith at that age. I would just keep him in the team for now until form drops, which i will in time. Berra and Souttar were just...well, Berra and Souttar, Michael Smith was as solid and dependable as you'd expect, Walker looked a threat but maybe should've been taken off at halftime, he was knackered. Uche looked a bit short of sharpness and needs to look up more before making a pass, Mulraney looked dangerous with his pace and crosses, Not sure about Conor Washington, didn't really do a lot but still early days. Irving looks decent, scored a goal and looked like he was quite prepared to hit on sight a couple of times. Sean Clare....pretty unconvincing in midfield, needs to get more involved. Thought he looked anonymous during the game at times.

Tough game as expected, weather ruined the game as well as the ref who could've booked more Utd players and could've easilly had three of them sent off for late challenges or second yellows. At least our penalties were all well taken.

I’m with you on your analysis. I was pleased with our shape and thought we dominated DU. Our defence was streets ahead of DU’s set up. The ball seemed to fall kindly for them when they made a mistake. Which they did a lot of and they will get punished. Only thing missing for me was the sharpness to unlock the defence but I think it will come when our forward players are up to speed. 

Feel more positive after that game than I did before it, admittedly when I saw the weather I thought it would be a shitefest 0-0 draw so my expectations weren't high.

Washington and Walker really impressed me though both weren't quite match fit, which is fair enough. The prospect of Walker-Washington-Naismith-Mulraney as a front 4 excites me and IMO is a massive improvement on last year. Uche wasn't great and I think he should be firmly behind Washington and Naismith but he offers something completely different and at worst is a decent impact sub.

Central midfield is probably the biggest concern for me, not that Clare and Irving were that bad, both deserve to feature prominently this season. It was more that against better opposition that midfield partnership would get annihilated. Desperately need Haring back and priority number 1 for CL should be to sign a new midfielder. 

Hickey impressed me enormously and with him, Smith and White fullback looks in excellent shape-another improvement from last year. Agree with the general consensus about Berra being off and hopefully Halkett can come in and improve the defence immediately. Bobby was at fault for there goal which is becoming a pattern but atm other than Craig Gordon I'm not sure of any GKs that could improve on him. 

Agree with other posters that our inability to put the ball in the net is an issue but at this stage of the (pre) season I think that can be put down to rustiness. While it was disappointing to not score more and not win in regular time, IMO 75%-85% of the game was encouraging and for the most part the team played well.

Edited by Rooster20

I think we will see a lot of CBs clatter Uche in the first 5 mins of a game. United seemed to know that anything that happens in the first 5 mins is ok as far as Scottish refs go...

Weakened Offender

United were fortunate to play us in the first group game and not the last, when we would have scudded them. Lots of positives from that. Great to see Irving do well, Hickey too.

Edited by Weakened Offender

13 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I think we will see a lot of CBs clatter Uche in the first 5 mins of a game. United seemed to know that anything that happens in the first 5 mins is ok as far as Scottish refs go...

Quite likely. United were quite agricultural in their approach and could easily have had a couple of players sent off with a firmer referee.

Notable very attacking so far. Even more so than last season.

Early days and hopefully a good defensive midfielder coming in will give us a bit more stability defensively. 

Also curious as to the centre halfs. 442 the early formation. In which case who is first choice? Presumably Berra and Souttar. 

1 minute ago, mickycameron98 said:

I'm just going to put it out there. Washington is going to be utter shite for us

After two games? That’s the spirit.

6 minutes ago, mickycameron98 said:

I'm just going to put it out there. Washington is going to be utter shite for us

I disagree, I think Naismith will make the difference and we'll see what a great player he will be, he's not settled yet and you're willing to write him off pre-season (this is still pre-season btw). 

Uche is the weakest link now for me, he's just not mobile enough, against Aberdeen his movement was unreal and he ripped that full team apart.

If Washington was gash then I trust McPhee and even Smith would not have wanted him here.

Washington doesn’t look a natural goalscorer to me, but his movement is fantastic, so he will put himself in a position to have a lot of chances. 

He will score some, will miss some, but I think he is exactly what we needed up top. 

For me Uche looks the worry. When Washington went off and we played with Uche we reverted to punting the ball to him, and our play changed. Uche is going to have to get upto speed quickly if he is regularly going to be involved. Once Naismith is back, I can see him partnering Washington in a no 10 role, so Uches game time might be limited. 

OmiyaHearts

Anyone can see Ikpeazu isn't a top level player and you can quote me from a few months ago when I said I was critical of offering him a new deal after doing basically nothing in a hearts jersey apart from working hard. He's a bulldozer who wants to do it all himself, doesn't lift his head and rarely makes a telling pass. And that's going to keep him on the bench most of the season.

A bit concerned about Washington but at least he's getting into positions to miss the chances. I'll be concerned if we start the league campaign and he's still on 0 goals.

Edited by OmiyaHearts

mickycameron98
9 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I disagree, I think Naismith will make the difference and we'll see what a great player he will be, he's not settled yet and you're willing to write him off pre-season (this is still pre-season btw). 

Uche is the weakest link now for me, he's just not mobile enough, against Aberdeen his movement was unreal and he ripped that full team apart.

If Washington was gash then I trust McPhee and even Smith would not have wanted him here.

How is playing 2 games in the league cup pre-season? Anyway i may be wrong and i hope i am regarding Washington, but it's just a gut feeling he'll be another dud. I think Uche should be used as an impact player/substitute more this season. I don't like how we fit our game around him. A fit Naismith is crucial for us this season i think ( again)

1 minute ago, mickycameron98 said:

How is playing 2 games in the league cup pre-season? Anyway i may be wrong and i hope i am regarding Washington, but it's just a gut feeling he'll be another dud. I think Uche should be used as an impact player/substitute more this season. I don't like how we fit our game around him. A fit Naismith is crucial for us this season i think ( again)

I just see these games as pre-season run outs, we will 100% get to the next stage, Aberdeen is that real deal for the HMFC Suicide Squad.

3 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I just see these games as pre-season run outs, we will 100% get to the next stage, Aberdeen is that real deal for the HMFC Suicide Squad.

Correct  - but they can't wait, can they?

OmiyaHearts
5 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

You get a trophy for winning this tournament and we only have a chance at this and the Scottish Cup.

Neither the players or supporters should consider these games pre-season. It's anything but a run out, for me.

3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Correct  - but they can't wait, can they?

WUR PISH KOZ A LIEEVIN AND BUJ LIKE KILLIN OOR KLUB

It's horrific, the Edinburgh drugs aren't of the quality they used to be.  I read the Hearts Facebook page comments and want to punch my phone, the clowns don't realise we can only play 11 players and some players carry knocks so sit it out "HOW WE NO PLAYIN 6-6-4 THE DAY ?"  "A WID PLAY ROBBO NAISMITH UCHE AND RUDI UP FRONT KEN LIKE LIKE KEN"

22 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

You get a trophy for winning this tournament and we only have a chance at this and the Scottish Cup.

Neither the players or supporters should consider these games pre-season. It's anything but a run out, for me.

Ah right.  So the League doesn't count.

24 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

This is what I like about this place. When we lost to Arbroath it was “I will start caring when we play United in the cup, that’s when the season starts”. Now that’s been and gone it’s “wait till Aberdeen, that’s the one I care about”. We’ve seen stuff to be positive about but we’ve also seen stuff that has followed us from last season. The positives:

First half yesterday was wave after wave of attacks. Total domination and without their keeper having a worldy it genuinely could’ve been 6 by half time. 

Washingtons movement is class. When the side get used to him and vice versa I think he’ll be class for us. He can also link the play well. 

The young boys, minus Burns sadly, look more than capable of fighting for a starting place. So refreshing to see and if their performances continue then my criticism of not playing them last season seem justified. 

Halkett is a player. 

Negatives: 

Burns was poor. Another loan will do him no harm. 

Bozanic doesn’t do it for me. 

2nd half, although the game was done, wasn’t the best. Outnumbered again in midfield which meant we didn’t have the zip we had in the first half. 

Uche struggled again. He has the most work to for me as he just doesn’t seem to fit what we are trying to do. I have never rated Uche so this may just be my dislike for him talking but he just isn’t a footballer. He has loads to do. 

Going forward. 

We need a quality midfielder. That’s much easier to say than do so I am happy to wait for the right guy rather than just take a punt. I think that will be the missing link. Naismith is gonna make such a huge, huge difference to that side it’s pretty exciting to think of him, mulraney, walker and Washington all in the same side. 

25 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

This is what I like about this place. When we lost to Arbroath it was “I will start caring when we play United in the cup, that’s when the season starts”. Now that’s been and gone it’s “wait till Aberdeen, that’s the one I care about”. We’ve seen stuff to be positive about but we’ve also seen stuff that has followed us from last season. The positives:

First half yesterday was wave after wave of attacks. Total domination and without their keeper having a worldy it genuinely could’ve been 6 by half time. 

Washingtons movement is class. When the side get used to him and vice versa I think he’ll be class for us. He can also link the play well. 

The young boys, minus Burns sadly, look more than capable of fighting for a starting place. So refreshing to see and if their performances continue then my criticism of not playing them last season seem justified. 

Halkett is a player. 

Negatives: 

Burns was poor. Another loan will do him no harm. 

Bozanic doesn’t do it for me. 

2nd half, although the game was done, wasn’t the best. Outnumbered again in midfield which meant we didn’t have the zip we had in the first half. 

Uche struggled again. He has the most work to for me as he just doesn’t seem to fit what we are trying to do. I have never rated Uche so this may just be my dislike for him talking but he just isn’t a footballer. He has loads to do. 

Going forward. 

We need a quality midfielder. That’s much easier to say than do so I am happy to wait for the right guy rather than just take a punt. I think that will be the missing link. Naismith is gonna make such a huge, huge difference to that side it’s pretty exciting to think of him, mulraney, walker and Washington all in the same side. 

Being out on loan could be the reason McDonald & Zanatta have done well so far, rather than keeping them here with limited game time or playing in a struggling team when the injuries kicked in.

Hopefully they can keep up their good start as they give us plenty options in an attacking sense.

42 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

Being out on loan could be the reason McDonald & Zanatta have done well so far, rather than keeping them here with limited game time or playing in a struggling team when the injuries kicked in.

Hopefully they can keep up their good start as they give us plenty options in an attacking sense.

Wish Zanatta would get an opportunity to play up front as opposed to on the wing. Have a feeling he could yet turn out to be our best striker.

David McCaig
4 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

Wish Zanatta would get an opportunity to play up front as opposed to on the wing. Have a feeling he could yet turn out to be our best striker.

Not based on his finishing last night!!

2 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Anyone can see Ikpeazu isn't a top level player and you can quote me from a few months ago when I said I was critical of offering him a new deal after doing basically nothing in a hearts jersey apart from working hard. He's a bulldozer who wants to do it all himself, doesn't lift his head and rarely makes a telling pass. And that's going to keep him on the bench most of the season.

Top level? Obviously not but he has been decent for us so far. To me this is the classic KB need to view things in black or white - Suso going from Spanish waiter to 5-1 hero, treatment of Miko, etc. Uche showed amazing ability in some games last season. He was on fire at the start, instrumental in beating celtic, other teams couldn't handle him. Despite this his good work was mainly in assisting others, making space or whatever. He looked a bit dodgy in front of goal, and not the most silky of players. Coming back from injury, he toiled a bit. Despite that, he did well in quite a few games, winning us points/ties against Aberdeen, Partick, ICT, Hibs. He played really well in some of these games. Other times, he struggled with the rest of the team.

His style of play makes him stand out, especially if nothing is happening for him. We have noone else like him. Totally ridiculous to write him off for us after what we've seen so far. 

49 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Not based on his finishing last night!!

Which of our strikers displayed better finishing last night?

On 13/07/2019 at 12:15, CJGJ said:

Even in his short career so far Hickey displays performances way above his age...at this rate he might not be that long with us

That's why we need to get the lad on a long term contract. It won't be long before he is too good for shitty SPL football.