Jump to content
hoof.hearted

Bobby at Utd goal.

Recommended Posts

hoof.hearted

When my son played under 12's football in goals he was constantly being told to be aware where you are in relation to the goals, watch the ball but don't be drawn out by it (1 on 1 is different obviously). Guess Bobby was never told this. I didn't notice it at the game but saw goal on TV later and he was way too far out and Shankland had nobody to beat.

We need a new keeper.

Not because of their goal but because 1st meaningful game back and here we go again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EH11
Just now, hoof.hearted said:

When my son played under 12's football in goals he was constantly being told to be aware where you are in relation to the goals, watch the ball but don't be drawn out by it (1 on 1 is different obviously). Guess Bobby was never told this. I didn't notice it at the game but saw goal on TV later and he was way too far out and Shankland had nobody to beat.

We need a new keeper.

Not because of their goal but because 1st meaningful game back and here we go again.

 

Sounds like we need to get your boy in goals. Or his coach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
been here before
11 minutes ago, hoof.hearted said:

When my son played under 12's football in goals he was constantly being told to be aware where you are in relation to the goals, watch the ball but don't be drawn out by it (1 on 1 is different obviously). Guess Bobby was never told this. I didn't notice it at the game but saw goal on TV later and he was way too far out and Shankland had nobody to beat.

We need a new keeper.

Not because of their goal but because 1st meaningful game back and here we go again.

 

One game into season, one game. Some folk just cant wait.

 

Start a thread called "Bobby at Utd goal" and then say its nothing to do with their goal.

 

Berra made 2 mistakes in the lead up to Utds goal- be as well punting him as well.

Edited by been here before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stotty
12 minutes ago, hoof.hearted said:

When my son played under 12's football in goals he was constantly being told to be aware where you are in relation to the goals, watch the ball but don't be drawn out by it (1 on 1 is different obviously). Guess Bobby was never told this. I didn't notice it at the game but saw goal on TV later and he was way too far out and Shankland had nobody to beat.

We need a new keeper.

Not because of their goal but because 1st meaningful game back and here we go again.

I said to my old boy at the game his positioning looked suspect. Watched it back last night and I was right - he was in no man's land. I quite like Bobby, good shot stopper and a likeable character, however he definitely has silly mistakes in him and I think we could do with another keeper. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Famous 1874
3 minutes ago, been here before said:

 

One game into season, one game. Some folk just cant wait.

 

Start a thread called "Bobby at Utd goal" and then say its nothing to do with their goal.

 

Berra made 2 mistakes in the lead up to Utds goal- be as well punting him as well.

We need a new goalie - fact 

If Berra continues to play like he did after the injury then he should be benched - fact

No time for sentiment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
been here before
2 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

We need a new goalie - fact 

If Berra continues to play like he did after the injury then he should be benched - fact

No time for sentiment.

 

You do know writing "fact" at the end of a statement doesnt necessarily make that statement a fact?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hoof.hearted
18 minutes ago, EH11 said:

 

Sounds like we need to get your boy in goals. Or his coach. 

Nah...he was a bit like Bobby so jacked it in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Famous 1874
17 minutes ago, been here before said:

 

You do know writing "fact" at the end of a statement doesnt necessarily make that statement a fact?

You disagree with what I am saying?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hoof.hearted
26 minutes ago, been here before said:

 

One game into season, one game. Some folk just cant wait.

 

Start a thread called "Bobby at Utd goal" and then say its nothing to do with their goal.

 

Berra made 2 mistakes in the lead up to Utds goal- be as well punting him as well.

'Here we go again ' is the more telling point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BackOfTheNet

Shankland had an open goal, and even when heading it towards Bobby it still went in because he was that far out. He never needed to be either, the Utd player was being ushered wide and a shot really wasn’t on.

 

Saying that, as much as Clark should’ve scored that one towards the end it was Bobby who saved it. He’s better than Doyle but he’s a 3 out of 5 (to use a Football Manager system) at best. I would like to see another keeper (was hoping for Gordon) but if not I’m much happier with Bobby than with Doyle. And if we did get a new keeper I wouldn’t want to see Bobby leave.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cb1874
28 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

We need a new goalie - Opinion

If Berra continues to play like he did after the injury then he should be benched -Opinion

No time for sentiment.

FTFY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
been here before
8 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

You disagree with what I am saying?

 

Dont you understand what I've written?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Famous 1874
1 minute ago, been here before said:

 

Dont you understand what I've written?

Ok it’s an opinion. Do you disagree? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TommiGronlund
48 minutes ago, hoof.hearted said:

When my son played under 12's football in goals he was constantly being told to be aware where you are in relation to the goals, watch the ball but don't be drawn out by it (1 on 1 is different obviously). Guess Bobby was never told this. I didn't notice it at the game but saw goal on TV later and he was way too far out and Shankland had nobody to beat.

We need a new keeper.

Not because of their goal but because 1st meaningful game back and here we go again.

Expert talking here..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
been here before
13 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Ok it’s an opinion. Do you disagree? 

 

No I agree its an opinion.

 

There must be someonr else yiu can have your arguement with.

Edited by been here before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wham Bam Austin McCann

Said it at the time. Shankland actually headed the ball into the side Zlamal was closest to and he was still too far out to catch it. No idea where he was going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pans Jambo

We do need a new keeper. Zlamal is just not up to the standard I have been used to seeing in goal for Hearts for the last few decades. 

He must have cost us a good few points last season. 

Sorry if folk “like” him but I really couldnt care less if theres 11 complete barstewards playing for us. I just want the wins & to be entertained. Sick of mumbling “oh FFS”!!!

Edited by Pans Jambo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
letsalldothebeattie

I like Bobby he's a good goalkeeper but I've said on other threads he has a few mistakes in him and that could really cost us going forward if we want to be able to regularly push for trophies. I'm not hammering him and demanding we punt him right away I just feel Levein has been a bit too quick to rule out buying a new keeper this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Walrus

Posted this in other Bobby thread.  Screenshot_20190713-082703_Twitter.thumb.jpg.43df6ed8beb80ea5e5354c6e435bb88d.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheOak88
28 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Ok it’s an opinion. Do you disagree? 

He agrees. But wants to prove how clever he is by having a pedantic argument about the way you posted it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArcticJambo

Didn't think there was too much wrong with his positioning when Stanton takes the ball on the edge of the box, nor when he takes his next two touches but the minute he's starts to move wide  and of Souttar, yes he 'bounces' right and forward each time so when the cut back comes in he's at least a couple of yards too wide of his rt-hand post. 

 

Bobby's obviously not Alison Becker but he's a reasonable shot-stopper.  Could we do better; yes, of course but I'm inclined to focus more on the midfield; getting that right will help win us more points than Bobby will lose.

 

Not sure exactly what Berra should/could have done in the lead up to the goal.  If anything credit should be given to Stanton as each of his touches were spot-on and his cut-back intelligent (with Shankland getting in across the defender as any poacher should) - had we scored that goal we'd all be raving about it today still.  :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
been here before
12 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

He agrees. But wants to prove how clever he is by having a pedantic argument about the way you posted it.

 

Knowing the difference between an opinion and a fact is pedantry?

 

What a confused world you must live in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheOak88
2 minutes ago, been here before said:

 

Knowing the difference between an opinion and a fact is pedantry?

 

What a confused world you must live in.

Try to argue the point not the poster, you will get more out of it in the long run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
been here before
4 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Try to argue the point not the poster, you will get more out of it in the long run.

 

Im really not looking to get anything out of it.

 

The points were presented as facts. That was wrong. It had nothing to do with the poster- you've just made that up.

 

Anyhow enjoy your day.

Edited by been here before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Normthebarman
36 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

We do need a new keeper. Zlamal is just not up to the standard I have been used to seeing in goal for Hearts for the last few decades. 

He must have cost us a good few points last season. 

Sorry if folk “like” him but I really couldnt care less if theres 11 complete barstewards playing for us. I just want the wins & to be entertained. Sick of mumbling “oh FFS”!!!

He's better than or equal to Moilanen, Banks, Hamilton, Macdonald or Kello, in my opinion. All keepers we've had in the last few decades. In fact the only keepers I'd say were definitely better were Niemi, Gordon, McLaughlin, Rousset and Smith. Who were all utterly outstanding goalies. And even then, they all had some absolute clangers that cost us games. 

 

He also gained us a fair few points last season. People focus on the odd mistakes and the Livi horror story. They forget he pulled off some top class saves the likes of Gordon and Niemi would be jealous of. 

Edited by Normthebarman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
McCrae

Last night was a typical Bobby performance.... we learned nothing new. We all know his kicking can be a bit suspect at times and he makes the odd mistake.  Not the best keeper we have had by a long way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kila

He does have his moments...

 

I wouldn't object to signing a new keeper, even bringing Gordon home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Saint Jambo
21 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Didn't think there was too much wrong with his positioning when Stanton takes the ball on the edge of the box, nor when he takes his next two touches but the minute he's starts to move wide  and of Souttar, yes he 'bounces' right and forward each time so when the cut back comes in he's at least a couple of yards too wide of his rt-hand post. 

 

Bobby's obviously not Alison Becker but he's a reasonable shot-stopper.  Could we do better; yes, of course but I'm inclined to focus more on the midfield; getting that right will help win us more points than Bobby will lose.

 

Not sure exactly what Berra should/could have done in the lead up to the goal.  If anything credit should be given to Stanton as each of his touches were spot-on and his cut-back intelligent (with Shankland getting in across the defender as any poacher should) - had we scored that goal we'd all be raving about it today still.  :thumbsup:

 

Think that is a pretty good analysis. Started out OK but there was a point as Stanton went wide that Zlamal needed to take a couple of quick steps back to regain his position in goal. Presumably he just lost his bearings a bit. Watching it again the attackers do well but I'm not sure any of the Hearts defence cover themselves in glory. Souttar and Smith don't put pressure on Stanton as soon as he is wide to stop him getting a cores in. Berra also seems to lose his bearings and moves towards the goal line for no apparent reason when keeping his position in front of Shankland would probably have allowed him to cut out the cross. Then Hickey doesn't react quickly enough to Berra moving to get really tight on Shankland and between him and the goal. Zlamal most at fault but as a keeper when you male a mistake you hope one of the defenders digs you out the hole. Unfortunately that didn't happen last night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Regular John

He reminds me of Zibby, not just looks but ability too. He’s an absolute bombscare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArcticJambo
15 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

 

Think that is a pretty good analysis. Started out OK but there was a point as Stanton went wide that Zlamal needed to take a couple of quick steps back to regain his position in goal. Presumably he just lost his bearings a bit. Watching it again the attackers do well but I'm not sure any of the Hearts defence cover themselves in glory. Souttar and Smith don't put pressure on Stanton as soon as he is wide to stop him getting a cores in. Berra also seems to lose his bearings and moves towards the goal line for no apparent reason when keeping his position in front of Shankland would probably have allowed him to cut out the cross. Then Hickey doesn't react quickly enough to Berra moving to get really tight on Shankland and between him and the goal. Zlamal most at fault but as a keeper when you male a mistake you hope one of the defenders digs you out the hole. Unfortunately that didn't happen last night.

 

Aye, fair enough although just to conclude for the defence of the defenders, Stanton was moving faster than any of them at that point so getting too close was risking a pen, and he obviously dinks it back across fully conscious that he has to cut it back rather than bog standard it as he knows where Smith and Souttar are (If only Uche had such awareness).  Watching Berra and Hickey throughout that sequence you can see what they're trying to do but it's just so difficult when you've got someone on the ball in the box that 's leading you all a merry dance, and a forward with the instinct to read his colleague. Berra obviously thinking he crosses back post and want to be able to clear off line.  Hickey is trying to cover shankland catch him offside; perhaps he could have tried to get goalside and his body on the United striker but it all happened so fast.  I'm sitting 30 feet away and I look up as teh ball's played in and Shankland is diving in for a header.  It was a good goal; fairs fair!

Edited by ArcticJambo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Locky

I'm more worried about the fact we struggled to stick the ball in the back of the net with 2 strikers on the park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle Buck

I wanted a new goalkeeper, but we’ve already been told we’re sticking with Zlamal. He’s not bad, but he’s not great. Doyle is murder however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodami
27 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

He's better than or equal to Moilanen, Banks, Hamilton, Macdonald or Kello, in my opinion. All keepers we've had in the last few decades. In fact the only keepers I'd say were definitely better were Niemi, Gordon, McLaughlin, Rousset and Smith. Who were all utterly outstanding goalies. And even then, they all had some absolute clangers that cost us games. 

 

He also gained us a fair few points last season. People focus on the odd mistakes and the Livi horror story. They forget he pulled off some top class saves the likes of Gordon and Niemi would be jealous of. 

Really fair assessment of him mate, think we've been a bit spoiled on the keeper front and it's sometimes tricky to put into perspective benchmarked against the likes of Niemi and Gordon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
A_A wehatethehibs

He is a second rate goalkeeper, end of.

 

Harry Stone will get an opportunity in the first team this year. I am convinced that is the reason we’re not signing a keeper, we got him tied down to his first pro contract with big clubs hovering. I think the coaches believe Stone’s time is about to come. Same age as Hickey, if you’re good enough you’re old enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gavman81

Kello was far superior to Bobby fellow poster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Normthebarman
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He is a second rate goalkeeper, end of.

 

Harry Stone will get an opportunity in the first team this year. I am convinced that is the reason we’re not signing a keeper, we got him tied down to his first pro contract with big clubs hovering. I think the coaches believe Stone’s time is about to come. Same age as Hickey, if you’re good enough you’re old enough. 

I think younger goalkeepers need a bit more time. Due to the position, any mistake can be massively costly and can utterly destroy a young players confidence. 

 

He may have the technical skills but sometimes the mental strength required for a goalkeeper only come with a bit of age and experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
i wish jj was my dad
39 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

He's better than or equal to Moilanen, Banks, Hamilton, Macdonald or Kello, in my opinion. All keepers we've had in the last few decades. In fact the only keepers I'd say were definitely better were Niemi, Gordon, McLaughlin, Rousset and Smith. Who were all utterly outstanding goalies. And even then, they all had some absolute clangers that cost us games. 

 

He also gained us a fair few points last season. People focus on the odd mistakes and the Livi horror story. They forget he pulled off some top class saves the likes of Gordon and Niemi would be jealous of. 

Get what you are saying, Norm but think Banksy, Jamie and Kello were better too. Maybe we have been spoiled but I'd like to see a better keeper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jenks
20 minutes ago, Locky said:

I'm more worried about the fact we struggled to stick the ball in the back of the net with 2 strikers on the park.

Don't be worried. Still early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Normthebarman
4 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Get what you are saying, Norm but think Banksy, Jamie and Kello were better too. Maybe we have been spoiled but I'd like to see a better keeper.

I was never a fan of Jamie. He always gave me the fear that he'd cost us a goal, as he had a tendency to let shots spill. It seldom happened that he did concede from them as he was normally quick enough to recover, but the fear was always there for me. 

Edited by Normthebarman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Saughton Jambo
2 hours ago, been here before said:

 

You do know writing "fact" at the end of a statement doesnt necessarily make that statement a fact?

You’re a good poster BHB and I always get a chuckle at your razor sharp sarcastic

wit - fact 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruyff Turn

Berra was the main culprit in that goal, yet Bobbys getting the blame. 

 

:jj_facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CJGJ
1 minute ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Berra was the main culprit in that goal, yet Bobbys getting the blame. 

 

:jj_facepalm:

Correct and Hickey should have got on the other side of Shankland

 

The Keeper was not to blame, the marking in the six yard box was poor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArcticJambo

Not sure if serious.  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
A_A wehatethehibs
13 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

I think younger goalkeepers need a bit more time. Due to the position, any mistake can be massively costly and can utterly destroy a young players confidence. 

 

He may have the technical skills but sometimes the mental strength required for a goalkeeper only come with a bit of age and experience. 

 

Even so, I still think he is the reason we are not signing anyone. I’m expecting to see him introduced - he has signed his first pro contract knowing he will get a first team opportunity, now is the ideal time for him to break in. We have a second rate #1 and #2, both out of contract next year when Stone will turn 18, so what better time than now? 17-18 is old enough if the quality is there. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Locky
12 minutes ago, Jenks said:

Don't be worried. Still early.

I'm not really, but I still think it'll cause us more problems than at the other end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jenks

I thought we were brilliant last  night. The goals will come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OTT
29 minutes ago, Locky said:

I'm more worried about the fact we struggled to stick the ball in the back of the net with 2 strikers on the park.

 

Yup. I think its 2 key positions we could do better in.

 

Washington obviously needs time, Scottish football is much quicker than english football so perhaps that is something he needs to get up to speed with. Irrespective of that, I still think nabbing Cummings would be a sensible signing. Not interested too much in debating this, he's a player some fans just ****ing hate. He started strongly at Peterborough but fell away a bit. Coming home might suit him. 3 strong seasons in the league below with a predictable flop when he went down south (too early IMO), coming back up makes sense. I accept he's never played in the Scottish top flight so it might be a risk, I don't think you get a move down south if there isn't a belief from experienced scouts that you have talent. 

 

I've been screaming Zander Clark from the rooftops as a replacement for Bobby. We can't have a goalkeeper we don't have confidence in. Need to make a step up here ASAP and Clark only has a year on his contract left. Would be silly not to try and see what St J are looking for to get him now. Gordon will be 38 next year and isn't a long term solution. I don't know how Harry Stone fits into this jigsaw, perhaps Levein see's Bobby for this season, Gordon to come in on a free next season and Stone start to feature the season following that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06

Looking at the image above he is definitely a little out of position but he's a distant 3rd in the blame stakes. Behind Berra and Hickey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hungry hippo

There were several mistakes including Bobby's positioning which was poor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArcticJambo

Not disagreeing with anybody particularly but I've outlined what I think went wrong (and a lot of that is down to great work from both Stanton and Shankland) so it would be interesting to see other takes on Berra and Hickey's movement/positioning/actions.  If you can't be arsed then fair enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...