Christophe Berra

The Merse

39 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

I would never slate Berra but I really think for the good of the team he should be the back up to Halkett and Souttar, I think Levein will stick with him in every game until he's playing in a wheelchair though.

Did you not just slate him ?

Nobody understands defending better than our manager. Trust him in that department at the least ???

be thankful we have Berra. He will have a great season of that I’m sure

Edited by 1971fozzy

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• soonbe110

• been here before

• ri Alban

Seymour M Hersh
6 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Did you not just slate him ?

Nobody understands defending better than our manager. Trust him in that department at the least ???

be thankful we have Berra. He will have a great season of that I’m sure

I'm not sure his legs will agree with you.

7 hours ago, been here before said:

Aye... aye that could be it, you could be onto something there because mind last season when folk were having a few concerns over Berra how we noticed he was back to his imperious best when Doyle played half a dozen or so games? And then how he started to dip again when Zlamal returned?

Aye, thats what happened. Its the goalies fault Berra isnt as physically up to scratch as he was before his injury. Fancy the club spunking all that money on the finest medical teams and state of the art physio when all they've got to do is ask you and you'll go "its the goalies fault, try dropping him and Berra'll be barry again".

Remember when Berra first came back? With big John in goals he was imperious, by far the best defender in the league, decisive, quick, solid dependable. 

The injury doesn't appear to have robbed him of much of the pace but something else has happened because he now looks nervous and indecisive 

Now it was a very tongue in cheek observation but

9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

He should’ve left his man to Smith and covered the space left by Berra, the diving cheat ran past him and he just let him go, basic defending and one of a few reasons he’s still with us.

I didn't realise he was superman. If Haring was still on, it wouldn't have happened. Anyway, a fluke header caught Berra out. Simple!

Edited by ri Alban

been here before
33 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Remember when Berra first came back? With big John in goals he was imperious, by far the best defender in the league, decisive, quick, solid dependable. 

The injury doesn't appear to have robbed him of much of the pace but something else has happened because he now looks nervous and indecisive 

Now it was a very tongue in cheek observation but

Right.

So to clarify- you are saying that its the goalie behind Berra thats caused this change in form.

Fine when "big John" was playing behind him (pre-injury) but not when Zlamal was playing behind him (both pre and post injury). And fine when Doyle was playing behind him (post injury)?

Bizarre.

You seem to have a lot of pent up anger and frustration, you also seem to be taking everything at face value. 

So for clarification, it was very tongue in cheek but there is a degree of truth that Berra seems to be a lot shakier in the time since big John left, take of that what you will 

Berra's more than capable at this level, this is hedging on Defenders Union v Strikers Union stuff. (Conceding goals is all the defenders fault but strikers are allowed to miss chance after chance and it's all forgotten about)

Our problems came from not creating enough chances or scoring enough goals last season, putting massive pressure on the whole team but ultimately the back 4 and the keeper as we were heavily relying on clean sheets to pick up points.

Governor Tarkin
9 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Pity he knows **** all about atacking though, eh, LOLZ.

Berra was telling me in the pub last week that the first thing he does when he gets the ball to feet is think "right, where's big Uche?".

That explains why half of his hoofs last year ended up in the stand. The other half were miss-hits.

been here before
1 hour ago, Bozi said:

You seem to have a lot of pent up anger and frustration, you also seem to be taking everything at face value. 

So for clarification, it was very tongue in cheek but there is a degree of truth that Berra seems to be a lot shakier in the time since big John left, take of that what you will 

:rofl:

Love it. Tin pot messageboard psychology.

What other cliches have you got?

been here before
40 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Berra was telling me in the pub last week that the first thing he does when he gets the ball to feet is think "right, where's big Uche?".

That explains why half of his hoofs last year ended up in the stand. The other half were miss-hits.

He's lying. He told me his first thought was "right, whose the goalie again?".

2 hours ago, Bozi said:

Aye right

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I didn't realise he was superman. If Haring was still on, it wouldn't have happened. Anyway, a fluke header caught Berra out. Simple!

He’s not superman, or as good as some would tell you and needs to improve greatly before anyone buys him, which is why he’s still here.

Pasquale for King
14 hours ago, been here before said:

Aye... aye that could be it, you could be onto something there because mind last season when folk were having a few concerns over Berra how we noticed he was back to his imperious best when Doyle played half a dozen or so games? And then how he started to dip again when Zlamal returned?

Aye, thats what happened. Its the goalies fault Berra isnt as physically up to scratch as he was before his injury. Fancy the club spunking all that money on the finest medical teams and state of the art physio when all they've got to do is ask you and you'll go "its the goalies fault, try dropping him and Berra'll be barry again".

I don’t think the club spend that much money or have state of the art facilities at their disposal. You’re right about the GK though, he’s not up to the job but it’s nothing to with Berra’s dip in form.

Pasquale for King
14 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Maybe but pen was all down to Bobby. Hesitated and gave him a chance. Should have stopped the pen given how much hand he got on it. Had he saved the pen the lift we would have got and the downer they would have experienced would almost certainly have ended in a cup win for us. Won’t trust him again to be honest. Positioning for their goal on Friday night was comedy stuff. 

I said after Bayview at the start of last season that I thought he was a bomb scare. Sadly, for once, I was correct. 

Yeah he’s not up to the job but it doesn’t look like he will be replaced. 

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Bozi said:

I think the whole defence is weaker because the two GKs we have are not up to the job.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

If he passed him the ball to his feet or chest instead of his head the occasional quick ball would be great. When Uche signed the Cambridge fans said he was hopeless in the air, they were right. Nobody seems to say anything to Berra about the hopeless long balls though.

Edited by Pasquale for King

I love the guy but he’s looking nowhere near the player pre injury. I thought a few games towards the end of last season he started looking better, so maybe come with games. 

The biggest thing is how uncomfortable he looks with the ball at his feet. He’s never been a ball playing centre half but looks proper clumsy and nervous these days. 

8 minutes ago, HMFC86 said:

I love the guy but he’s looking nowhere near the player pre injury. I thought a few games towards the end of last season he started looking better, so maybe come with games. 

The biggest thing is how uncomfortable he looks with the ball at his feet. He’s never been a ball playing centre half but looks proper clumsy and nervous these days. 

One of our biggest problems last season was playing too many long balls, the midfield often came short just to see it launched over them by the defence. Once this has happened once to often, they then stop making the move to take it short or do so half ar8ed as they are not expecting to get the ball anyway.

Berra probably guilty of this more than others but Souttar, who is obviously more comfortable with the ball at his feet, was also guilty of trying to play a 60 yard cross field long ball when there were players 10 yards away wanting the ball.

Yes the midfielder may have had an opponent relatively close to them but they are comfortable enough to take it in that position, however i think the defenders are thinking either "I wouldn't take it there" or "I don't want it straight back under pressure" so go long instead. Now it is a bigger call for a defender to take a ball under pressure as often any mistake is punished with a goal as they are the last line but they need to trust their midfield. Many defenders will take the view that the midfielder doesn't know how close the opposition player is so miss him out and go long. What our defence needs to learn his many of our midfielders, particularly the young ones, are nearly always aware of what is around them having already assessed the space and are happy to take the ball.

In terms of Berra, he still has a massive role to play on and off the field for us, but the team needs to learn to avoid his weaknesses, like they should with all their team mates. Don't play a ball with him under pressure unless you have no choice and always always always play a pass so he can get his left foot on it. Playing it from the right hand side of the pitch, slightly behind him and on his right foot is his worst nightmare. He can't play it back to you with his right and to keep the ball moving along to the left back or left midfield he needs to get it from slightly behind him on his right and in front of him on his left. In that scenario he is more likely to pass first time straight back to the keeper.

And Berra himself needs to learn to trust his midfield to take the ball under pressure, particularly the more technically gifted players. 

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

One of our biggest problems last season was playing too many long balls, the midfield often came short just to see it launched over them by the defence. Once this has happened once to often, they then stop making the move to take it short or do so half ar8ed as they are not expecting to get the ball anyway.

Berra probably guilty of this more than others but Souttar, who is obviously more comfortable with the ball at his feet, was also guilty of trying to play a 60 yard cross field long ball when there were players 10 yards away wanting the ball.

Yes the midfielder may have had an opponent relatively close to them but they are comfortable enough to take it in that position, however i think the defenders are thinking either "I wouldn't take it there" or "I don't want it straight back under pressure" so go long instead. Now it is a bigger call for a defender to take a ball under pressure as often any mistake is punished with a goal as they are the last line but they need to trust their midfield. Many defenders will take the view that the midfielder doesn't know how close the opposition player is so miss him out and go long. What our defence needs to learn his many of our midfielders, particularly the young ones, are nearly always aware of what is around them having already assessed the space and are happy to take the ball.

In terms of Berra, he still has a massive role to play on and off the field for us, but the team needs to learn to avoid his weaknesses, like they should with all their team mates. Don't play a ball with him under pressure unless you have no choice and always always always play a pass so he can get his left foot on it. Playing it from the right hand side of the pitch, slightly behind him and on his right foot is his worst nightmare. He can't play it back to you with his right and to keep the ball moving along to the left back or left midfield he needs to get it from slightly behind him on his right and in front of him on his left. In that scenario he is more likely to pass first time straight back to the keeper.

And Berra himself needs to learn to trust his midfield to take the ball under pressure, particularly the more technically gifted players. 

Definitely 👍🏽

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Depends what you class as a long ball.

A hoof right up front completely central - classic hoof ball.

A diagonal pass of say 50m from a CB to a winger or wing back in space which lands at his feet for him to run and cross is a class pass.

Berra does the former; Souttar the latter.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

He’s not superman, or as good as some would tell you and needs to improve greatly before anyone buys him, which is why he’s still here.

Personally, I hope no one buys him. Hearts legend in the making.

Pasquale for King
32 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Depends what you class as a long ball.

A hoof right up front completely central - classic hoof ball.

A diagonal pass of say 50m from a CB to a winger or wing back in space which lands at his feet for him to run and cross is a class pass.

Berra does the former; Souttar the latter.

I would love to know the percentages of Souttars passes that do as you say, especially at Tynecastle. Remember that long pass that set up a goal, no me neither because it hasn’t happened yet.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Personally, I hope no one buys him. Hearts legend in the making.

I think you might get your wish, a legend such as Barr/Grainger/Macdonald/Black/Eliot quite possibly, can’t see him achieving Rudi/Robbo level though.

14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think you might get your wish, a legend such as Barr/Grainger/Macdonald/Black/Eliot quite possibly, can’t see him achieving Rudi/Robbo level though.

Hopefully CL level. 👍

Lord Beni of Gorgie
18 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I would love to know the percentages of Souttars passes that do as you say, especially at Tynecastle. Remember that long pass that set up a goal, no me neither because it hasn’t happened yet.

The scooped one for Godihno against St Johnstone was pretty special

Pasquale for King
35 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

The scooped one for Godihno against St Johnstone was pretty special

It wasn’t a long diagonal pass, it was indeed a fine pass though but a rarity unfortunately.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
56 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Godhino?

Pasquale for King
39 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Hopefully CL level. 👍

What injury prone one club man that has never won anything? Two testimonials and the safest job in football?  

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Godhino?

A fine chip from 40 yards no doubt, not a long diagonal pass to a players feet in space as you described it. Any others? Didn’t think so.

Ernie Eskilsson
4 hours ago, HMFC86 said:

And looks terrified when anyone runs at him with the ball, he just backs off and it’s costing us goals...

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

What injury prone one club man that has never won anything? Two testimonials and the safest job in football?  

Your parties must be a right good laugh.

:wtf:

JimboJambo93

I still think defensively Berra has a lot to offer but it does feel like he's throwing off the balance of the team slightly and I'd be keen to see Halkett in for a couple of league cup games to see the difference.

His ability on the ball is just awful, particularly how slow he is to make a pass. The amount of times Hickey was in space on the left on Friday but Berra took forever to get the ball on his left foot before playing a slow trundling pass to Hickey's feet rather than the space in front was unreal.

I also wonder whether we get the best out of Souttar's ability on the ball when he has Berra alongside him. I'd love to see Souttar step out of defence more with the ball like Ozturk used to do. Too often he's playing cross-field balls which are spectacular but don't achieve much whereas he could probably do more damage drawing opposing players out of position and then playing a simple ball. Part of me thinks the reason he doesn't is for fear of leaving Berra exposed.

kaptainkevman

Berra times up. Especially in the fact we've got the replacement ready and waiting!!

Always thought the better football players could still play later into there careers by dropping deeper, big Bear is certainly not one of the better ball players we've seen and he can't get much deeper without being in goals. That injury certainly took its toll on him last year but needs dictated he wasn't really afforded time to ease back in. It also demanded a lot given the position and a half the role was. He seems to have had a decent rest and injury free pre-season so I'd be reluctant to write him off on the viewing of the United game alone. I like him, he's a dependable player and I'm pretty confident he'll be more than useful this season.  

If we scored more goals then we wouldn't be relying on Berra, Souttar and Zlamal as much. 

If you were to ask me id say our whole defence is shakier than our 11 clean sheet run. 

A few times on friday night I noticed Souttar having a right go at Berra for his slow passing that always seemed to be played behind him.

7 hours ago, Chong said:

Always thought the better football players could still play later into there careers by dropping deeper, big Bear is certainly not one of the better ball players we've seen and he can't get much deeper without being in goals. That injury certainly took its toll on him last year but needs dictated he wasn't really afforded time to ease back in. It also demanded a lot given the position and a half the role was. He seems to have had a decent rest and injury free pre-season so I'd be reluctant to write him off on the viewing of the United game alone. I like him, he's a dependable player and I'm pretty confident he'll be more than useful this season.  

Tbf he's easy to pick on because he's always our last man before Bobby. If he wasn't under pressure so often maybe he wouldn't be making these wee mistakes. Souttars passing was a bit sketchy at times. I'd say Michael Smith is probably our only player who doesn't have a regular mistake in him. 

However, I'm no football manager and I tried to watch the United game with my 4 hyperactive sons 😂

14 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Concentrating too much on our defence More goals would take the pressure off. 

Exactly, plus I'd hate to see how many goals we'd concede from not having Berra win every header that comes our way. 

I would say other than Naismith, and forgive me for saying this as I missed lots of games last season, we don't have anyone who actually has a decent header in them?? 

Open to suggestions and wil gladly be proven wrong here! 

put a long ball into teh box and Berra will mop that up all day every day and his orgnaisational skills to otheres around him are excellent. 

Its when he gets the ball at his feet I do worry about him and he's very slow.   Usually results in a long punt up the park to nobody. 

9 minutes ago, Bainy said:

put a long ball into teh box and Berra will mop that up all day every day and his orgnaisational skills to otheres around him are excellent. 

Its when he gets the ball at his feet I do worry about him and he's very slow.   Usually results in a long punt up the park to nobody. 

But are they? Certainly not at present. I'd have agreed with you a few months back but something's happenened - possibly a consequence of his injury/recovery and he now appears (to me at least) to be panic-stricken at times like I've never seen him before. Hopefully it's a passing phase but whilst he's like this he's adding little to the team and is probably freaking-out his fellow defenders. There's little point in trying to deny it, you know things are very wrong when you are aware of other teams seeing him as a weak link and trying to exploit the situation.  

Just for clarity the goalkeeper does play a huge part in the way the defenders play. If you don’t have a good understanding or have concerns about his ability it changes the way you play. Anyone that’s played football as a defender can tell you that. 

For example if you have a keeper who is slow off his line the back line tends to drop deeper, or if he’s iffy at crosses you try and defend the wide areas more which can knock the shape.

Berra undoubtedly hasn’t been at the same level since the injury but with his lack of pace and Bobby’s tendency to mad moments will play a part in how they defend at present. 

So there’s some merit in saying different keepers affect defenders play.

4 hours ago, Blacky87 said:

Exactly, plus I'd hate to see how many goals we'd concede from not having Berra win every header that comes our way. 

I would say other than Naismith, and forgive me for saying this as I missed lots of games last season, we don't have anyone who actually has a decent header in them?? 

Open to suggestions and wil gladly be proven wrong here! 

Big Pete and Halkett scored a few headers last season

2 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Big Pete and Halkett scored a few headers last season

Yeah Haring got a few, need him to stay fit though. I'm sure Berra got a few with the noggin. Be good to see what Halkett can do for us.

Don't want to talk about Berra like he's something to be discarded. Lets not forget, it wasn't a tweaked hamstring. He tore the ****ing thing clean off the bone. Short of the thing spontaneously combusting I don't think you can get a much more serious hamstring injury.

I'd rather we took Berra out of the firing line, let him do some tests and make sure the injury is fully healed and medically he is 100%. We have a fantastic player to step in, in Halkett and also Dikamona too. I'd rather Berra came back into the team in a few weeks time with an all clear. It doesn't look like he's quite there yet tbh. 

scott herbertson
8 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Just for clarity the goalkeeper does play a huge part in the way the defenders play. If you don’t have a good understanding or have concerns about his ability it changes the way you play. Anyone that’s played football as a defender can tell you that. 

For example if you have a keeper who is slow off his line the back line tends to drop deeper, or if he’s iffy at crosses you try and defend the wide areas more which can knock the shape.

Berra undoubtedly hasn’t been at the same level since the injury but with his lack of pace and Bobby’s tendency to mad moments will play a part in how they defend at present. 

So there’s some merit in saying different keepers affect defenders play.

Excellent post. While he has definitely shaded off form, it probably wouldn't have been so noticeable if we could have kept Jon McLaughlin in goals