prospects

gorgie al 1960

gorgie al 1960

regardless of result tonight - how positive do I feel when I see 2 young lads playing with no fear and a confidence belying their age - take a bow Irving and Hickey

jimmy the jambo

Hickey is just brilliant,Beyond his years with his composure,Can’t wait to see how he develops over the season.

gorgie al 1960
1 minute ago, jimmy the jambo said:

Hickey is just brilliant,Beyond his years with his composure,Can’t wait to see how he develops over the season.

Hickey is brilliant. He’s that good I still don’t know whether he’s left or right footed. 

Irving showed flashes of ability and scored a good goal. I just feel he needs more protection, perhaps as part of a 3 man centre midfield.

gorgie al 1960

If this laddie continues to develop year on year we may have the biggest potential  fee that would put Craig Gordon's in the shade

fabienleclerq

Hickey looks an incredible talent, reminds me of Andy Robertson. Irving gave the ball away a few times too many for me last night. Made up for it with his goal but needs to get games and get used to the difference between first and reserve football. 

10 hours ago, gorgie al 1960 said:

regardless of result tonight - how positive do I feel when I see 2 young lads playing with no fear and a confidence belying their age - take a bow Irving and Hickey

The pair were first class yesterday. Hickey has got a fantastic future ahead of him, just as long as we fend off OF interest, Irving was decent too, a little unlucky with the red card, but its not the end of the World.

Move over old man Hickey!!

Projecting Hickeys career a bit here but what's the deal with Scotland and LBs at the moment??? Robertson, Tierney, Taylor and Hickey. And got Douglas too. Mental given O'Donnell seems our best RB and he's pretty bobbins really.

Can the academies all start focusing on world class strikers now that we're covered for left backs for the next 20 years please!?

27 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Seemingly the group behind Hickey are even better prospects 

Interesting.    That would be evidence of the benefits of some kind of long term strategy of sustainability.     Some degree of wholistic thought and vision by a person,   or persons in the senior management positions at the club.

ford donald
11 hours ago, gorgie al 1960 said:

Hickey is a star of the future,his workrate,composure are truly outstanding for one so young,Irving as well both excellent players.

It is like a breath of fresh air watching them.

So, are we admitting Mr Levein hasn't been lying to us all and there is in fact great work going on behind the scenes?

Tynecastlesmychurch
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Interesting.    That would be evidence of the benefits of some kind of long term strategy of sustainability.     Some degree of wholistic thought and vision by a person,   or persons in the senior management positions at the club.

Good heavens man! Are you suggesting that this is all part of some long term plan?..

10 minutes ago, Tynecastlesmychurch said:

Good heavens man! Are you suggesting that this is all part of some long term plan?..

Just throwing it out there.    But maybe it's just blind luck.     Maybe our promising young crop are bludgeoning their way through in spite of the senior management.

Maybe we should get Tommy McLean and Chris Robinson back.

14 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Just throwing it out there.    But maybe it's just blind luck.     Maybe our promising young crop are bludgeoning their way through in spite of the senior management.

Remember the old story about Tam Forsyth counting the balls, adamant one was missing,  demanding the youngsters go find it.

And none of them prepared to say to him to remember to count the one under his arm.

May be a  myth.....

letsalldothebeattie

Thought both lads done very well last night. Thought Hickey once again looked so composed like hes been a first team player for years. Think the boy is going to go far in the game. Irving looks a very good option in the middle of the park, throw in Zanatta, McDonald, Cochrane & Smith the future is looking very good for us in terms of talent coming through

12 hours ago, Mort said:

Hickey is brilliant. He’s that good I still don’t know whether he’s left or right footed. 

Irving showed flashes of ability and scored a good goal. I just feel he needs more protection, perhaps as part of a 3 man centre midfield.

Hickey is unbelievable. I'm confident enough to say he may well end up as good, if not better, than Gary Naysmith. Only 17! 

The lad is a brilliant prospect. 

Alex Kintner
12 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

Would like to see more of Cochrane this year too.

The contrast between Irving and Hickey tonight and Cochrane on Monday was night and day.

2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Move over old man Hickey!!

Projecting Hickeys career a bit here but what's the deal with Scotland and LBs at the moment??? Robertson, Tierney, Taylor and Hickey. And got Douglas too. Mental given O'Donnell seems our best RB and he's pretty bobbins really.

Can the academies all start focusing on world class strikers now that we're covered for left backs for the next 20 years please!?

The fantastic thing about Aaron is he is genuinely two footed and just as comfortable at right back or in midfield. Adds a few strings to an already impressive bow.

Edited by To Be Frank

25 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

The contrast between Irving and Hickey tonight and Cochrane on Monday was night and day.

The fantastic thing about Aaron is he is genuinely two footed and just as comfortable at right back or in midfield. Adds a few strings to an already impressive bow.

Good point, could maybe nail down RB.

On Cochrane, a lot expected from him for obvious reason. In a way, we as fans need to clear his slate, good and bad, and look at him as the 18 year old looking to break through and gain experience that he is - almost think about this as the first we've seen him.

Peaks and troughs, they've all got until age 20/21 to nail a place really. Not to say that can't be done at 17/18, just not a disaster or an indictment if they don't.

i wish jj was my dad

The future is exciting and I really believe we are only a season or two away from realising the sky is the limit with these boys but we are going to rely on the likes of SN and CB to get them through the tough times.

Alex Kintner
2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

On Cochrane, a lot expected from him for obvious reason. In a way, we as fans need to clear his slate, good and bad, and look at him as the 18 year old looking to break through and gain experience that he is - almost think about this as the first we've seen him.

Peaks and troughs, they've all got until age 20/21 to nail a place really. Not to say that can't be done at 17/18, just not a disaster or an indictment if they don't.

Well said mate, totally agree. 👍🏻

gashauskis9

Irving looks so composed in there, playing in a position we generally struggle to develop young players into in this country.

jambostuart
2 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

The future is exciting and I really believe we are only a season or two away from realising the sky is the limit with these boys but we are going to rely on the likes of SN and CB to get them through the tough times.

This is why I want CB to take more of a background role this year instead of on the park. Going by his form at the end of last season he isn't going to be like SN and leading by example. He's a top quality centre back and can also be proof of what a career can be had without going West, but it'll be difficult to look up to him if he's costing us points.

Leveins Battalion

Hickey is class but is it too much for Hearts to produce a striker for the 1st time in 30 years.

kingantti1874
21 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Hickey is class but is it too much for Hearts to produce a striker for the 1st time in 30 years.

It’s not just hearts, there are hardly any strikers coming through anywhere in Scotland.

It’s the coaching, fantastic for Irving, cochrane and smith but someone needs to be there teaching the boys who want to play up front what runs to make, how to shoot on sight, how to hold a man off and shield the ball, individual skills to make a yard or 2. 

incredible given how pretty much every youngster wants to play up front. 

LarrysRightFoot
13 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

It’s not just hearts, there are hardly any strikers coming through anywhere in Scotland.

It’s the coaching, fantastic for Irving, cochrane and smith but someone needs to be there teaching the boys who want to play up front what runs to make, how to shoot on sight, how to hold a man off and shield the ball, individual skills to make a yard or 2. 

incredible given how pretty much every youngster wants to play up front. 

I know when AB took over CL was trying to get Rudi to coach the kids. Wonder if it’s back on the table now he’s retired.

Do we have strikers in the academy? We can’t seem to develop one for love nor money. 

Hickey looked good last night. Irving had a decent game as well. 

TyphoonJambo
6 hours ago, Victorian said:

Just wait for the first injury and then, when the medical team are discovered using leaches and lard plotices, then their career's will be screwed. 

Haringshairband

Excited about the youngsters coming through. Hickey was really composed and Irving took his goal well. I echo others thoughts when it comes to strikers coming through. Do you think young strikers at Hearts have too much pressure to become "the next Robbo"?

Edited by Haringshairband

Anyone not excited about our prospects for this season simply doesnt get it.  

Let's hope the academy keeps producing this sort of talent including the next Robbo.

We read stuff on here every day now which is just remarkable.  Stunning changing room in a stunning new stand.  Massive corporate benefits to be secured from the second floor.  World class ,  that's right, world class playing surface.  Fantastic academy.  Extremely strong financial position.

Everything is in place to translate all that into success on the playing field and I'm certain we will.

Selkirkhmfc1874
30 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Anyone not excited about our prospects for this season simply doesnt get it.  

Let's hope the academy keeps producing this sort of talent including the next Robbo.

We read stuff on here every day now which is just remarkable.  Stunning changing room in a stunning new stand.  Massive corporate benefits to be secured from the second floor.  World class ,  that's right, world class playing surface.  Fantastic academy.  Extremely strong financial position.

Everything is in place to translate all that into success on the playing field and I'm certain we will.

Spot on ! There's so many positive things going on at our football club right now and just as importantly the structure in place secures us for decades to come 

IveSeenTheLight
19 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

Would like to see more of Cochrane this year too.

I think Hickey andIrvine have shown they have the ability to cement a place in your team.

Not so convinced by Cochran’s. Looks like he has ability, but too slow and not experienced enough for CM yet. Probably needs to go out on loan to be honest.

i know Irvine is only 19?, but he had the look of a much older player against Utd.

Gonna sound daft here but I thought the wee laddies that were on at half time had some real skills

TyphoonJambo
18 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Spot on ! There's so many positive things going on at our football club right now and just as importantly the structure in place secures us for decades to come 

Yeh but chicken likin and all the other drama queens on jkb have assured us the sky is falling and its all Craigs fault, who to believe? 

40 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Gonna sound daft here but I thought the wee laddies that were on at half time had some real skills

Not daft at all mate, Jimmy Sandison said much the same thing on HW.

2 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Said the same at the game . 

jamboinglasgow
16 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Seemingly the group behind Hickey are even better prospects 

Are you talking about the group who just got their pro-contracts in the summer (Stone, Watson, Darge, Docherty, Charleston-King and Schiavonne?)

Footballfirst
42 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Are you talking about the group who just got their pro-contracts in the summer (Stone, Watson, Darge, Docherty, Charleston-King and Schiavonne?)

Those are mainly lads born in 2003 (Stone 2002). I don't see any great depth of talent or exceptionally talented individuals players among the 2004s and maybe just the odd ones among the 2005s at the moment, although its very early in their development.

However, I do look out for and see a few individuals making progress year on year.  It's that sort of development that kind of reassures me that the academy is doing things right, although perhaps not in the numbers or at a level that says "wow!" what a wonderful academy we have.

More than anything else, the success of the Academy relies on scouting the best players, and developing them to their full potential, rather than taking an average player and turning him into a slightly better than average player.

Edited by Footballfirst

StevenNaismith

We’ve got some excellent young players coming through at all age groups in the academy. As FF has said above, the 2004 team is probably the one age group that I’m not so excited about. All about how they continue to develop though. The structure in place is brilliant for them and will give them every chance of making it.

On 13/07/2019 at 11:55, TheBigO said:

1st sensible comment regarding Cochrane I have seen. The expectation on him is ridiculous. If you look back at his games, he has had a few good games but mostly he has been 5/6 out of 10 with an occasional 1 up or 1 down.

The goal against Celtic hasnt done him amy favours as people expect wonders everytime he plays, in the words of Monty Python, "He is not the messiah".

He needs to go out on loan, he needs a full season of games to get used to pace of mens football, the physicality and also to get him out of the limelight a wee bit so he can just play. Looking at Anthony McDonald he looks like the loan at ICT has done him the world of good. He looks sharp, stronger  quicker and plays with his head up but same scenario, no good being a good player sat on a bench maybe getting 10-20,mins here and there,  that kills their development.

Levein has some choices to make I think, these boys will want 1st team football not the crap reserve league, shambles of an idea by Malky MacKay.  So bad teams are pulling out to arrange their own friendlies...back to the future shite idea. So, does he play them, if not they go out on loan but if they do well then they become sought after and into last year of contracts.

Jamie Walker signing pushes Anthony away from 1st team and a new cm coming in does the same to Harry....Naisy\Haring coming in will affect Irving as well and Aidy Whyte will be 1st choice lb....so where do the youth get to play.

You either have faith in them or you dont, not boys anymore 18/19 yrs old, time to make an impact. 

6 hours ago, Naisysback said:

1st sensible comment regarding Cochrane I have seen. The expectation on him is ridiculous. If you look back at his games, he has had a few good games but mostly he has been 5/6 out of 10 with an occasional 1 up or 1 down.

The goal against Celtic hasnt done him amy favours as people expect wonders everytime he plays, in the words of Monty Python, "He is not the messiah".

He needs to go out on loan, he needs a full season of games to get used to pace of mens football, the physicality and also to get him out of the limelight a wee bit so he can just play. Looking at Anthony McDonald he looks like the loan at ICT has done him the world of good. He looks sharp, stronger  quicker and plays with his head up but same scenario, no good being a good player sat on a bench maybe getting 10-20,mins here and there,  that kills their development.

Levein has some choices to make I think, these boys will want 1st team football not the crap reserve league, shambles of an idea by Malky MacKay.  So bad teams are pulling out to arrange their own friendlies...back to the future shite idea. So, does he play them, if not they go out on loan but if they do well then they become sought after and into last year of contracts.

Jamie Walker signing pushes Anthony away from 1st team and a new cm coming in does the same to Harry....Naisy\Haring coming in will affect Irving as well and Aidy Whyte will be 1st choice lb....so where do the youth get to play.

You either have faith in them or you dont, not boys anymore 18/19 yrs old, time to make an impact. 

Good post and raises the point that we have to follow through on these guys and give them all a chance, this season I can see that happening.

i wish jj was my dad
18 minutes ago, Jamdub said:

Good post and raises the point that we have to follow through on these guys and give them all a chance, this season I can see that happening.

I think so too. If they perform they will play but it's good having the option of an experienced guy to slot in if their form dips. 

Bridge of Djoum

The lack of naysayers on this thread speaks volumes. 

Its to obvious we have incredible talent coming through, ready for 1st team football at such a young age really is impressive.

well done, Mr Levein and the young lads. 

Saint Jambo
6 hours ago, Naisysback said:

I agree with almost all your post except the final paragraph. 18 is still very young to be playing regular first team football. For many you would only expect to begin to see them coming in to the team for the first time at that age. As a support in general we seem far less forgiving on the age we expect players to mature than players at other teams or players we bring in. Look at Mulraney at 23 and the amount he has improved in the last two years from a bench player at Inverness to a regular starter at Hearts. People still talk about Uche as being young with improvement to come and he is 24. Shankland about to turn 24 also talked about as a young player still developing.

I know your post was largely positive and I agree that Cochrane might benefit from a year on loan in the Championship. But I do worry that with our youngsters our support are prone to massively over hyping them when they first break through and then at best giving up on them at worst slaughtering them six months to two years later when they hit some poor form or drop out of the team. Take Morrison, just turned 20 and already written off by a large chunk of our support. Zanatta is another example having recently turned 22. Lots of supporters assumed that when he was loaned out last season that he was finished at Hearts and confidently pronounced he'd never make it. They couldn't understand when he was handed another contract extension. Whether he makes it remains to be seen but it is clear Levein thinks it is worth giving him another shot.

If our future is in youth development we need to somehow educate our fans about the different rates at which players develop and show more patience.

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Naisysback said:

I thought he should have went on loan last season and got ripped for it on here. 

IMO Anthony MacDonald will break through before Cochrane, he got some real valuable experience last year at ICT, he’s a natural on the ball and more of an eye for goal than Cochrane. 

Cochranes physique is going to hold him back a season I think, he’s not quite got the strength yet but give him another year and he’ll get there. 

Morrison is another who’ll benefit this season with Mulraney and Walker he’ll get more regular game time off the bench which I think will do him more good than the start a couple no involvement for a few weeks in and out season he had last year.