Hickey

Never Let Them Forget

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

If Tierney goes and they get their 25 million upfront or more then septic will spend on a left back 

I’m hoping that Hickey is probably not in their timeline and developed enough just yet, and so they put their interest about elsewhere.

That said, if Hickey keeps progressing like he is at the moment, we need or should be bracing ourselves soon and for the huge amount of interest that will inveriably come his way

They've already bought his replacement 

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• JamboAl

• Kiwidoug

• NB GIN

6 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

If Tierney goes and they get their 25 million upfront or more then septic will spend on a left back 

I’m hoping that Hickey is probably not in their timeline and developed enough just yet, and so they put their interest about elsewhere.

That said, if Hickey keeps progressing like he is at the moment, we need or should be bracing ourselves soon and for the huge amount of interest that will inveriably come his way

Think they've already bought a left back

Whoops , as above

Edited by johnthomas

Just now, Smithee said:

Who did they buy and is Tierney away ?(sorry, I didn’t know)

1 minute ago, johnthomas said:

Think they've already bought a left back

Whoops , as above

Wasn’t aware mate, sorry 

Unknown user
Just now, Hearts1975 said:

No worries, I was talking to a Celtic fan yesterday. He reckons it's just a case of getting the right price from Arsenal. They've signed a guy called Boli Bolingoli-Mbombo for 3 million from Rapid Vienna

1 minute ago, Hearts1975 said:

Boli Mbombo, paid over 3m for him. Tierney not away yet but deal with arsenal seemingly getting closer but Celtic holding out for more up front (may well be due to fear over his injuries)

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

No worries, I was talking to a Celtic fan yesterday. He reckons it's just a case of getting the right price from Arsenal. They've signed a guy called Boli Bolingoli-Mbombo for 3 million from Rapid Vienna

1 minute ago, Ribble said:

Boli Mbombo, paid over 3m for him. Tierney not away yet but deal with arsenal seemingly getting closer but Celtic holding out for more up front (may well be due to fear over his injuries)

Thanks both 👍

Heart Of Midlothian no longer have to sell or look to do business with the old firm, other than on terms that we decide. We can all go over what we think may or may not be wrong at the club at the moment but the one thing we can all agree on, is that we are in such a stable financial position that we don’t need to be held ransom to them anymore. If they want Hickey, Cochrane, MacDonald, Smith, Souttar, Berra, Bobby.........then they’ll pay what we want or they won’t get their man. If and when Rangers release Lafferty for nothing it will show what great business that was. 

On Hickey, he looks fantastic. Tall and athletic, everything that big clubs look for. He’s played 3 competitive matches for us and if never looked at him and not been impressed. 10 more games of that standard and Aidy White will have to wait another 3 years to play first team football. 

I very much doubt if Hickey will be interested in going anywhere for this season at the very least.

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

If 25m isn’t the right price then what will be?

Prices down south are mental so maybe you can say fair play to them for holding out but I thought they’d be biting their hand off at that price.  I think he’s a great player but he’s not really proven himself beyond a level that Celtic are constantly in the media slating when things don’t go their way in Europe. 

Heartsofgold
19 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

Christie was actually 32 when he won gold in Barcelona - an age at which people are starting to say a footballer’s legs have gone.

All Linford had to do was run in a straight line very fast. Pace isn't everything.  At 32 a footballer is mature and knows the game inside out.  He knows what to do in most situations and, if he's good enough, he can use his skills learnt over 20+ years playing to get past an opponent rather than just bursting past him at speed.  The ability to control the ball and visualise what to do with it are much more important than just being fast in my opinion.

Inch Hearts
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

He would be a good investment for the next LB. would they swallow their pride having released him last year after having him in midfield and pay good ££? Highly doubtful.

12 minutes ago, Morph said:

If 25m isn’t the right price then what will be?

Prices down south are mental so maybe you can say fair play to them for holding out but I thought they’d be biting their hand off at that price.  I think he’s a great player but he’s not really proven himself beyond a level that Celtic are constantly in the media slating when things don’t go their way in Europe. 

I think Celtic are willing to accept £25m but up front, not in instalments and add-ons.

I hope when they get it and come calling for a Scottish based player like Hickey, or even someone in a different playing position (Turnbull), they remember the "up front" bit as cash flow is particularly important to smaller clubs.

jack D and coke
5 hours ago, Heartsofgold said:

All Linford had to do was run in a straight line very fast. Pace isn't everything.  At 32 a footballer is mature and knows the game inside out.  He knows what to do in most situations and, if he's good enough, he can use his skills learnt over 20+ years playing to get past an opponent rather than just bursting past him at speed.  The ability to control the ball and visualise what to do with it are much more important than just being fast in my opinion.

Absolutely agree with all that but pace is a wonderful attribute for a footballer in the modern game, particularly over about 4-5 yards. If you can’t beat someone to the ball or get away from them you start to fall into the average categories for me. Speed of thought like Pirlo type players are rarer than hens teeth. 

You can get faster with the right training too. 

6 hours ago, Heartsofgold said:

You misunderstand me - I agree 100% that there are things in football that are more important than outright pace. Sproule had lots of pace but not a lot else.

The point I was trying to make was that people tend to assume that raw pace will always diminish with age, which may be true in many cases, but isn’t universal, as demonstrated by men winning Olympic sprint titles on the wrong side of 30.

Heartsofgold
56 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

You misunderstand me - I agree 100% that there are things in football that are more important than outright pace. Sproule had lots of pace but not a lot else.

The point I was trying to make was that people tend to assume that raw pace will always diminish with age, which may be true in many cases, but isn’t universal, as demonstrated by men winning Olympic sprint titles on the wrong side of 30.

Yeah I can see that but another thing is that footballers have to deal with a lot of impact injuries all through their career not just muscle or ligament injuries. That can have a serious detrimental impact on their turn of pace. However I do see what you’re getting at. 

• 2 weeks later...
tartofmidlothian

Liked the look of him again tonight. He had a beautiful wee sidefooted clearance a few yards from goal at the end of the first half, so composed and it picked out one of our guys too.

A bit of class from him again tonight. Still very young though but more experience of this league will bring him on rapidly.

tartofmidlothian
3 minutes ago, bringonthesevco said:

A back 4 of Smith Souttar Halkett Hickey would be tremendous !!!

It did okay tonight.

bringonthesevco
Just now, tartofmidlothian said:

It did okay tonight.

Imagine them having played together 10 times .....

Saint Jambo

I thought the game of who can ping the worst ball at Hickey and see how he deals with it was a fun little addition tonight. In the main he did well with whatever crap was sent his way.

My only worry is that being fairly small and young attackers are going to foul him like they did tonight and get away with it because Scottish refs will see it as legitimately "bullying him off the ball". Thought that happened a few times tonight. On the plus side tonight was the first time that I thought he still looked OK towards the end of 90 minutes, where in previous games he's really struggled physically.

Did well enough that I might have bee tempted to give him man of the match tonight. One of the few players who does look to move the ball forward quickly, carry it forward, or play a pass that misses a man. All these sadly lacking from others tonight.

12 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

I thought the game of who can ping the worst ball at Hickey and see how he deals with it was a fun little addition tonight. In the main he did well with whatever crap was sent his way.

My only worry is that being fairly small and young attackers are going to foul him like they did tonight and get away with it because Scottish refs will see it as legitimately "bullying him off the ball". Thought that happened a few times tonight. On the plus side tonight was the first time that I thought he still looked OK towards the end of 90 minutes, where in previous games he's really struggled physically.

Did well enough that I might have bee tempted to give him man of the match tonight. One of the few players who does look to move the ball forward quickly, carry it forward, or play a pass that misses a man. All these sadly lacking from others tonight.

Thin maybe but not small. Towers over Bosanic 

ArcticJambo
14 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Excellent summary/analysis.  The foul he managed to buy off that awful chest height ball from Clare was :thumbsup:

Was my MoM, although obviously Halkett being in teh right place at the right time runs him close.

17 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

I didn’t think he struggled physically one bit tonight.

Hungry hippo

His strength is brilliant for his age especially when you factor in that he's so classy on top of that. You normally get one or the other with kids breaking through.

Guess The Crowd
41 minutes ago, kila said:

Even when under pressure he is so calm, composed and finds a pass.

Great future ahead. 

Just seen the goals.

His pass to Mulraney for the winner was first class. Got it to him quickly which bought Mulraney time to get in the cross.

Have to say he looks an excellent prospect.  So comfortable on the ball and great composure. When he fills out a bit and gets stronger he will be a great player.  Just hope he stays with us a few years. 

Saint Jambo
1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

Thin maybe but not small. Towers over Bosanic 

I definitely meant smaller not shorter. Only natural having just turned 17. Sure he will bulk up in next couple of years.

1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

Excellent summary/analysis.  The foul he managed to buy off that awful chest height ball from Clare was :thumbsup:

Was my MoM, although obviously Halkett being in teh right place at the right time runs him close.

Was my Mom tonight also, got into so many clear spaces just needed to have to confidence to scream at others for the ball!!. Scary thing is I thought our best players were our defenders, offered alot going forward.  

8 hours ago, Guess The Crowd said:

Just seen the goals.

His pass to Mulraney for the winner was first class. Got it to him quickly which bought Mulraney time to get in the cross.

Was one of the few times a pass was played in front of someone to run onto first time

David McCaig
8 hours ago, Guess The Crowd said:

Just seen the goals.

I agree, quick, incisive, first time, on the deck and inch perfect in front of Mulraney

ArcticJambo
9 hours ago, Beave1874 said:

Was my Mom tonight also, got into so many clear spaces just needed to have to confidence to scream at others for the ball!!. Scary thing is I thought our best players were our defenders, offered alot going forward.  

Yes, at Arbroath I noticed that he was expressing his frustration (at Berra mainly once the C had turned back inside - understandably so) with body language. Once his team mates trust him (saying that there's no evidence to date that I've seen anyway to say otherwise) with the ball I'm sure he'll be involved in a lot more goal-defining moments with Mulraney, as he did last night.  I'm starting to feel very hopeful for their left-sided partnership.

Selkirkhmfc1874

The priority just now for me is to get this kid on a long term contract because he's going to be worth an awful lot of money 

13 hours ago, Beave1874 said:

To be fair, our attackers were somewhat smothered by a rather defensive opposition. In contrast, our defenders got more time on the ball and were not pressed much.

He is an obvious talent I just hope he wants to stay with us for a few years and continue to improve and earn the club  a decent transfer fee.

If he keeps playing and developing as he is currently then he will be worth a lot of money.

I just hope nobody comes in with an offer to take him now rather than having to pay much bigger money in a year or two.

2 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

To be fair, our attackers were somewhat smothered by a rather defensive opposition. In contrast, our defenders got more time on the ball and were not pressed much.

Very true actually

Saint Jambo

This is going to be unpopular so bare in mind I posted earlier that I had him as my man of the match from being at the game.

Just watched the highlights (10mins available on Stenny website). As I suspected Clare at fault at goal. He stood watching rather than closing down the crosser. Hadn't appreciated Hickey also at fault. He is out muscled by the striker who gets across him to turn the ball home. Similarly one of the players at fault at the Dundee Utd goal, letting Shankland get across him. One part of his game for Levein to work on, although partly might be a strength issue just now.

At the risk of repetition, I watched Hickey in the SCF and could scarcely believe my eyes.

16 years old????

The chances of his skills deteriorating are nil.  He is only going to get better and I think his best bet is to stay with us for at least two more years.

I would imagine Hearts would reject any bid under £5m out of hand at this point.  He may well go for 5 or 6 times that in the future.

Inch Hearts
9 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

The priority just now for me is to get this kid on a long term contract because he's going to be worth an awful lot of money 

Most definitely this.  Celtic will be sniffing about again.  The laddie will make the club a fortune if developed properly. 

Inch Hearts
7 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

At the risk of repetition, I watched Hickey in the SCF and could scarcely believe my eyes.

16 years old????

The chances of his skills deteriorating are nil.  He is only going to get better and I think his best bet is to stay with us for at least two more years.

I would imagine Hearts would reject any bid under £5m out of hand at this point.  He may well go for 5 or 6 times that in the future.

Contract situation is far from ideal Doug.  

Inch Hearts
1 hour ago, Flappy Hands said:

Hickey is worth 4 million already in my eyes. 

Double that, easily.  He’s the best prospect I’ve seen come through since Craig Gordon and at the same level as I rate them.  Please get him on a long term deal and just enjoy the progress. 

David McCaig
10 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

This is going to be unpopular so bare in mind I posted earlier that I had him as my man of the match from being at the game.

Just watched the highlights (10mins available on Stenny website). As I suspected Clare at fault at goal. He stood watching rather than closing down the crosser. Hadn't appreciated Hickey also at fault. He is out muscled by the striker who gets across him to turn the ball home. Similarly one of the players at fault at the Dundee Utd goal, letting Shankland get across him. One part of his game for Levein to work on, although partly might be a strength issue just now.

Michael Smith is to blame.  He gives the ball away incredibly easily at a time when almost the entire side is out of position.