Width

Serge Pizzorno

Bridge of Djoum
7 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

:D

I knew someone would beat me to it.

You saying you're more mature than me, likesay?

Width should be provided by good movement across the park, as well as wing backs getting forward.  Ronaldo, Sterling are good examples and can drive through the middle as well as wide, making marking them difficult for defenders, Mulraney, Clare, Walker, Zanatta and Uche can all do this during a game. Players stuck out on the touchline will have games and long periods in games where they never see the ball, there will be games when a player can be asked to stay wide though. Better mobility and a desire to make runs forward across the pitch is what we need to see. IMO.

Looking forward to Zanatta getting a run of games hopefully. There's a very good player in there. Big season for him.

Alex Kintner
5 minutes ago, Royal Jambo said:

Looking forward to Zanatta getting a run of games hopefully. There's a very good player in there. Big season for him.

Think he’ll be the biggest surprise of the season. 👍🏻

Soapy Soutar
46 minutes ago, Royal Jambo said:

This

He has plenty match experience now and this season is now or never for him

upgotheheads
13 hours ago, jambo19 said:

Started well and seemed to link up well with Smith and Naismith. Once injuries struck and the team chopped and changed there was more of a reliance on players like him and MacLean and I think he suffered from that. Basically overplayed but there was no real right winger to sub him with.

Struggled with an injury then did his knee towards the end of the season in a reserve game and is coming back from that. 

Was it cartilage or Knee Ligament? If it was the former he should be back in  training by now.

18 hours ago, busby1985 said:

We have Uche, Naismith, Keena, Wighton, MacLean, Walker, Mulraney, Washington, Dario, Morrison, Edwards and McDonald all looking for game time. If we play 352 then add in Smith, Brandon, White and Hickey into the equation. They all can’t play. No idea what the plan is. Hopefully on Friday we will see a change of shape from 352 to something like 4231, gives us defensive cover out wide as well. That is the only way I can see us getting Uche, Naismith, Walker and Washington into the team. 

Bobby 

Smith Halkett Souttar Hickey 

Clare Cochrane 

Walker Naismith Washington 

Uche 

Means we’d have Mulraney and Edwards off the bench for pace and directness. Also means we have decent cover for injuries. White or Hickey at left back, Smith or Brandon at right back, Berra for Souttar or Halkett. I think we still have to lose a few players to keep the squad balanced and motivated. 

I like the look of that formation - loads of attacking options and pace ...

just not sure if Cochrane and Clare in the DM positions will work

worth a try though 

6 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

I like the look of that formation - loads of attacking options and pace ...

just not sure if Cochrane and Clare in the DM positions will work

worth a try though 

Yeah ideally that would be Haring and someone of harings quality. Think Clare could work in there tho, I think Clare has bags of potential. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Royal Jambo said:

Quite, he appears to be a goal threat as well so here's hoping. 

9 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Yeah ideally that would be Haring and someone of harings quality. Think Clare could work in there tho, I think Clare has bags of potential. 

He has talent, plus getting that CM midfield berth locked down as his main position should see us getting more consistency from his performances. He has went missing at times but in CM you can’t go missing! He has the ability, no question

it will be interesting how he gets on defensively 

I thought that if we went 4-4-2 this season he would play in an attacking berth and someone would sit and protect in the middle.

If we play 4-2-3-1 then he is going to have to spend a lot of time defending which I think everyone knows isn’t the strong part of his game. Be interesting to see how he gets on 

12 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

He has talent, plus getting that CM midfield berth locked down as his main position should see us getting more consistency from his performances. He has went missing at times but in CM you can’t go missing! He has the ability, no question

I thought that if we went 4-4-2 this season he would play in an attacking berth and someone would sit and protect in the middle.

If we play 4-2-3-1 then he is going to have to spend a lot of time defending which I think everyone knows isn’t the strong part of his game. Be interesting to see how he gets on 

We can’t play 442, it wouldn’t work in the league and we don’t have the players to play it. Midfield is key in Scotland and we really need to hope that what ever Levein has planned works as so many of our problems from last season came from lack of movement out wide and nothing happening in the middle of the park. 

16 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

We can’t play 442, it wouldn’t work in the league and we don’t have the players to play it. Midfield is key in Scotland and we really need to hope that what ever Levein has planned works as so many of our problems from last season came from lack of movement out wide and nothing happening in the middle of the park. 

You reckon he won’t play 4-4-2 this year ? 

I thought levein would be thinking Uche and Washington up front as a pair, rather than Washington wide to accomodate uche, or vice versa, and if we have 1 up front 

Fozzyonthefence
47 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

More important that length? 

How you use it is more important 😳

14 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

You reckon he won’t play 4-4-2 this year ? 

I thought levein would be thinking Uche and Washington up front as a pair, rather than Washington wide to accomodate uche, or vice versa, and if we have 1 up front 

If we play 442 how does that get Naismith, Walker and Mulraney into the side? We might play 424 but can’t see that happening. Variations of 451 is how I see us going. Or we stick with 352 and hope that it somehow starts working for us. 

16 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

If we play 442 how does that get Naismith, Walker and Mulraney into the side? We might play 424 but can’t see that happening. Variations of 451 is how I see us going. Or we stick with 352 and hope that it somehow starts working for us. 

That’s what I have been trying to work out, I don’t think so much mulraney as he could play wide 

walker and Naismith yes, they are both better being centred and attacking so I would prefer variations of 4-5-1 ... more so that 3-5-2 but then I sit think that a wing back system (unless you have the players Barcelona does) isn’t the most expansive way to play and doesn’t create enough chances in most games 

that said in games where we are expected to dominate possession having 2 up front may be a better solution on the day 

having different options is important - getting them to work on the park, even more so 

Alex Kintner
1 hour ago, Hearts1975 said:

Can’t see any difference in the amount of defending required by Clare whether it is 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1. Both involve a CDM.

59 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

We can and probably will play 4-4-2, just not with two wingers like Utd did with Giggs/Kanchelskis or Blackburn with Ripley/Wilcox. It’ll be more like what Arsenal used to do with a winger on one side (Pires or Overmars) and a wide midfielder on the other (Parlour or Ljungberg).

During Levein’s first spell he played with one winger and on the other side a wider midfielder who comes inside. We often used to play with Valois or Hamill on one wing and Stampy or Boyack on the other side of the pitch coming inside. This relied on having a full back who is mobile enough to get up and down the flank like Maybury or Neilson.

We can play that this season with Mulraney/Zanatta/Morrison as the winger and Naismith/Walker as the wide midfielder. 

Naismith

Clare

Haring

Mulraney

or

Walker

Clare

Haring

Zanatta

6 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Can’t see any difference in the amount of defending required by Clare whether it is 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1. Both involve a CDM.

We can and probably will play 4-4-2, just not with two wingers like Utd did with Giggs/Kanchelskis or Blackburn with Ripley/Wilcox. It’ll be more like what Arsenal used to do with a winger on one side (Pires or Overmars) and a wide midfielder on the other (Parlour or Ljungberg).

During Levein’s first spell he played with one winger and on the other side a wider midfielder who comes inside. We often used to play with Valois or Hamill on one wing and Stampy or Boyack on the other side of the pitch coming inside. This relied on having a full back who is mobile enough to get up and down the flank like Maybury or Neilson.

We can play that this season with Mulraney/Zanatta/Morrison as the winger and Naismith/Walker as the wide midfielder. 

Naismith

Clare

Haring

Mulraney

or

Walker

Clare

Haring

Zanatta

CDM for 4231 in both centre midfield positions 

only 1 CDM required for 442. The other centre can support and attack whilst his partner defends. 

8 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Naismith

Clare

Haring

Mulraney

or

Walker

Clare

Haring

Zanatta

I think one of our biggest problems is players being asked to play out of position or roles they don’t enjoy. Ask any player how they feel playing out of position and they’ll tell you they hate it. Look at Arfield at Rangers, biased I admit, but since he started playing 10 (his preferred role) he’s been banging in the goals. All my opinion of course. Our biggest weakness last year was trying to play 352 but with no natural wide players. Mulraney has came onto a game but he’s arguably our only natural wide player. That’s why I think we need to change our style. 352 doesn’t work for us. 5 in midfield with 2 sitting and 4 at the back means we won’t be exposed down the wings like we often where last year. Am happy with the addictions we’ve made in the final third, just not seeing how we accommodate them all, as it stands. Still think we have work to do in midfield as well tho. 

Smith     Souttar    Halkett/Berra     White/Hickey

Haring 

Walker                   Clare                       Mulraney 

Naismith 

Uche/Washington 

4231 but a diamond in midfield could work. 

3 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Was it cartilage or Knee Ligament? If it was the former he should be back in  training by now.

Ligaments I'm sure. Twisted in the astroturf late on in a reserve game so pretty certain it was 

Leveins Battalion
4 hours ago, Barack said:

Hopefully more end product than Morrison did.

I didn't realise how good he had done until I watched his video from his time with Alloa.

• 1 month later...