Width

Serge Pizzorno

Serge Pizzorno

Not one for pantwetting, but we really do seem to be short of wide players for upcoming season. 

Unless of course Levein is putting more trust into Morrison, Mulraney, McDonald and Zanatta, however I’m struggling to see past who else. 

I really hope to see the young lads get more of a shot. Monday proved that.

Minus young lads, we are very short. With the young lads, we've got lots of choices. Ones you mentioned OP, plus Moore and Henderson.

I'd particularly like to see Zanatta more. Thought he was immense on Monday. Really attacking player, looks desperate to have the ball, not afraid to run at a man and he's a good strong runner too.

Walker, Washington and Clare can all fill in wide, Brandon, White and Wighton are options too and I believe Moore has a year left on his deal. 

I think Mulraney will start the season on the left, it's up to him if he can keep a hold of his place but I think he has the ability and attitude to succeed. 

Would ideally like an out and out right winger as an extra option but there is a lot of potential in that group of players 

Leveins Battalion
10 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Walker, Washington and Clare can all fill in wide, Brandon, White and Wighton are options too and I believe Moore has a year left on his deal. 

I think Mulraney will start the season on the left, it's up to him if he can keep a hold of his place but I think he has the ability and attitude to succeed. 

Would ideally like an out and out right winger as an extra option but there is a lot of potential in that group of players 

Wighton 🤣🤣🤣🙈

We have Uche, Naismith, Keena, Wighton, MacLean, Walker, Mulraney, Washington, Dario, Morrison, Edwards and McDonald all looking for game time. If we play 352 then add in Smith, Brandon, White and Hickey into the equation. They all can’t play. No idea what the plan is. Hopefully on Friday we will see a change of shape from 352 to something like 4231, gives us defensive cover out wide as well. That is the only way I can see us getting Uche, Naismith, Walker and Washington into the team. 

Bobby 

Smith Halkett Souttar Hickey 

Clare Cochrane 

Walker Naismith Washington 

Uche 

Means we’d have Mulraney and Edwards off the bench for pace and directness. Also means we have decent cover for injuries. White or Hickey at left back, Smith or Brandon at right back, Berra for Souttar or Halkett. I think we still have to lose a few players to keep the squad balanced and motivated. 

4 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Wighton 🤣🤣🤣🙈

I know he's a bit pish, but his only half decent game was out wide against Partick so clinging on to some hope with that one

DuncansDoughnuts
57 minutes ago, Serge Pizzorno said:

Not one for pantwetting, but we really do seem to be short of wide players for upcoming season. 

Unless of course Levein is putting more trust into Morrison, Mulraney, McDonald and Zanatta, however I’m struggling to see past who else. 

We only need width away from home😉

51 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Shighton will be back at dundee soon 

Alex Kintner
58 minutes ago, Serge Pizzorno said:

So you’re worried we have no width but then go on to mention four wide players. How many wingers would you like us to have?

Leveins Battalion
6 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Where's the flair players we were promised? 

On numerous occasions at the tail end of last season Levein stated he was looking at 4 flair players of "significant" quality,I'm assuming Washington and Walker fall into that category for him.

Just now, Leveins Battalion said:

On numerous occasions at the tail end of last season Levein stated he was looking at 4 flair players of "significant" quality,I'm assuming Washington and Walker fall into that category for him.

Oh well maybe next year. 

Unless the philosophy is the full backs push up to give us width up the park with Walker and Naismith starting wide but essentially playing central as 2 no.10s. This allows those 2 to play off a sole striker like uche, allow more bodies in the box and retain width through the full backs.

We tried it last year in spells when you'd see Djoum etc as left mid but really that was their starting position, not how they were playing the game.

Although I'm a fan of direct pacey wingers so I'd agree that we need another but I can see why we might not be looking for one if we have faith in White/Hickey/Garuccio and Smith/Brandon to get forward and deliver 

We don’t really play with width. We have four players at least for two wingback spots, and about 12 players who can fill into the 4 attacking positions. Unless Clare and Walker are both going to play in center mid then we won’t really have much quality in that position. 

As for the wighton stuff- he’s definitely got a footballing brain, a good touch and an excellent work rate. Unfortunately punting balls at him isn’t going to work. Neither is this expectation of him going into as many 50/50s as possible as that’s clearly not his game. I’m not saying he’s been excellent so far- far from it actually but he’s got potential. 

2 minutes ago, Dayman said:

We don’t really play with width. We have four players at least for two wingback spots, and about 12 players who can fill into the 4 attacking positions. Unless Clare and Walker are both going to play in center mid then we won’t really have much quality in that position. 

As for the wighton stuff- he’s definitely got a footballing brain, a good touch and an excellent work rate. Unfortunately punting balls at him isn’t going to work. Neither is this expectation of him going into as many 50/50s as possible as that’s clearly not his game. I’m not saying he’s been excellent so far- far from it actually but he’s got potential. 

Always will be too lightweight for SPL. 

21 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

:lol:

1 minute ago, jr ewing said:

Always will be too lightweight for SPL. 

That’s a fair comment. His biggest weakness definitely. But he’s still pretty young and had a bad injury a couple years ago from a 50/50 tackle I believe. That can do a lot to a young player. However, we have the top sports scientists available to us for his physical strength and top sports psychiatrists for his mental recovery which may take a while, so a lot can happen in the next year. 

If we don't get flair in the side we are in danger of resorting to hoof ball and that's going to make it a long hard season for all concerned. 

fabienleclerq

We don't have any because we don't play with width. He wants the Fb to provide it. 

J.T.F.Robertson
22 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Did Levein use the word “flair”?

"Creative" is how I remember it ...... still waiting. :(

4-3-3 this season no? Played it well in the Cup Final. Last season we only used one winger and had 3 centre midfielders when playing a four. CL using two wingers would have Hearts fans fainting.

Bridge of Djoum

I’m sure the female Hearts fans would like more width. 

Seriously though, there doesn’t seem to be a wealth of quality available within our scope. 

Scoring goals.  That's what we need and I believe that's exactly what Levein wants. 

Let's hope.

upgotheheads
2 hours ago, BigAlim said:

What's the situation with Morrison? I had hopes for him early on last season, he didn't progress much , maybe due to injury but is he back in training?

scott herbertson
13 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

What's the situation with Morrison? I had hopes for him early on last season, he didn't progress much , maybe due to injury but is he back in training?

I am pretty sure his injury affected him - he was on fire early on and if he can recover that form and with Mulraney there too (and I think Mcdonald might also be an option) then there is less urgency. I think a replacement for Djoum/ Lee is the most obvious gap in our recruitment

3 hours ago, Serge Pizzorno said:

You quote 4 players and then state your struggling to name anyone else...how many do we need for goodness sake

PS Walker could also play wide if that sets your mind at ease

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, DuncansDoughnuts said:

Funny that. I can remember numerous thumpings of Hibs and others (but especially Hibs) at home playing with wide players. 

Fozzyonthefence
8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Funny that. I can remember numerous thumpings of Hibs and others (but especially Hibs) at home playing with wide players. 

I can remember numerous thumpings of Hibs with all sorts of formations, home and away, neutral venues too😉.  

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

Started well and seemed to link up well with Smith and Naismith. Once injuries struck and the team chopped and changed there was more of a reliance on players like him and MacLean and I think he suffered from that. Basically overplayed but there was no real right winger to sub him with.

Struggled with an injury then did his knee towards the end of the season in a reserve game and is coming back from that. 

Alex Kintner
2 hours ago, hawaii said:

4-3-3 this season no? Played it well in the Cup Final. Last season we only used one winger and had 3 centre midfielders when playing a four. CL using two wingers would have Hearts fans fainting.

It’s how he played during first spell. Hamill or JLV as winger on one side of park and Stampy/Boyack on the other side as a wide midfielder

2 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Yes 

Link?

Alex Kintner
4 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

So you’re worried we have no width but then go on to mention four wide players. How many wingers would you like us to have?

1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

You quote 4 players and then state your struggling to name anyone else...how many do we need for goodness sake

:cheers:

rick witter
4 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

All of whom are very inconsistent at best. 

Give Mulraney his due he has certainly surprised me and I hope he kicks on but the rest are nowhere near first team picks every week. 

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, rick witter said:

All of whom are very inconsistent at best. 

Give Mulraney his due he has certainly surprised me and I hope he kicks on but the rest are nowhere near first team picks every week. 

Got a crystal ball?

Captain Canada

We have a lot of options when all the players are fit but there's a lack of experience.

Zanatta's determination to get to the byline the other night is something we sorely need. We need quality crosses into the box though which is something Morrison lacked last season. 

We also need better and faster distribution from the midfield. We've got good pace with Mulraney especially but we need to be playing balls in behind full backs for him to run onto. Too much last season he'd get the ball on the halfway line with someone already closing him down or be missed out completely as it got launched from the back. 

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

I’m sure the female Hearts fans would like more width.

:D

I knew someone would beat me to it.

Mulraney is the least of our worries imo. I have a sneaking feeling he will be one of our best players this season, the boy thrives on confidence and feeling part of the team. Our problem right now is in the heart of midfield, because we are hoping that Clare will somehow vastly improve on last season. We need a creative man in the middle to link play and spray passes around, take it from defence, and start attacking.

Alex Kintner
3 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Mulraney is the least of our worries imo. I have a sneaking feeling he will be one of our best players this season, the boy thrives on confidence and feeling part of the team. Our problem right now is in the heart of midfield, because we are hoping that Clare will somehow vastly improve on last season. We need a creative man in the middle to link play and spray passes around, take it from defence, and start attacking.

A Gomis type would be useful, especially when Souttar isn’t there to carry the ball out from the back

Mr Brightside
4 hours ago, DuncansDoughnuts said:

0/10 must try harder. Mods bin this hobo. Far too obvious, Duncan is the new yam apparently.

17 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

A Gomis type would be useful, especially when Souttar isn’t there to carry the ball out from the back

If only we could find another Gomis, now that would be ideal.

StevenNaismith

I think a lot of the time this season whoever is playing on the right will be tucked in a lot and Mulraney will play wide on the left. Levein has a lot of trust in Smith’s ability to get up and down the right which then leaves us more rigid in the centre of midfield.

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, StevenNaismith said:

I think a lot of the time this season whoever is playing on the right will be tucked in a lot and Mulraney will play wide on the left. Levein has a lot of trust in Smith’s ability to get up and down the right which then leaves us more rigid in the centre of midfield.

When signed, Naisy will play from there I reckon. 👍🏻