gov

***Official Hearts v United Match Thread***

soonbe110

Michael Smith - Scottish footballs penalty of the season in opening game. 

Governor Tarkin
57 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Thought tonight was a total contrast to the vast majority of games last season to be honest 🤷🏻‍♂️

Agreed. Hasn't rained like that in ages.

Governor Tarkin
Just now, soonbe110 said:

Michael Smith - Scottish footballs penalty of the season in opening game. 

It was a cracker.

I thought mutton-chop Dave's was a belter too. The laddie has a bit of class about him.

To Be Frank
13 minutes ago, Homme said:

Most concerning part for me is a JBK member had family over from Milan and took them to Asda as part of a pre match ritual. 

:jjyay:

Hearts1975
2 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Football unfortunately = goals to many

There's more to it than that. They rarely tackled him, he linked up fine, worked hard

I'm sure CL knows he did fine, I do think the big thing may be goals with him. But if he didn't have that weakness we wouldn't have got it. And he'll provide a good out ball, and I hate the cliche as it's overused on here and everywhere but I do think a goal early on in his Hearts career would be a massive thing for him

Agree with that and you make the key point saying that if he didn’t have any faults then we wouldn’t have signed him 

that said, I personally think it was a huge “coup” that we dis get him.

Austin has obviously been integral in that process along with lads like lafferty, Smith, Hughes etc encouraging him to sign with us 

To Be Frank
3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Agreed. Hasn't rained like that in ages.

🤓

Ernie Eskilsson
44 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

To be fair, Berra and Souttar still guilty of too many aimless hoofs.

Too many aimless hoofs and both were poor defensively. Souttar will play better but I’m not sure about Berra, right now he doesn’t deserve to start.

soonbe110
29 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

Impressed by Walker's performance.  Looked like the old Jamie Walker we had when he was flying at Hearts.  He looked dangerous every time he was on the ball, always looking to create something or take a player on.  Lost count of the number of times he was hacked down.  

He also had about three really good chances to score.  he didn't; take them but most of them were as a result of his positional play / anticipation / running off the ball.

The fear about him being slow and having lost his pace is also unfounded.  Looked like a he decent turn of pace.  I think he will be a major player for us this season chipping in with 10 - 12 goals.

Agreed. Great to have him back. 

Auld Reekin'
19 minutes ago, Homme said:

Most concerning part for me is a JBK member had family over from Milan and took them to Asda as part of a pre match ritual. 

:rattus:

Spellczech

Apart from our reliance on Uche who I have to say is unreliable,  we did look good in spells. Walker was desperate to score, perhaps a bit too much, but cannot fault his effort. Hickey is a find! Clare had some decent touches and will be better with better attacking options around him I reckon...

maroonsgotop
2 hours ago, Captain Scarlett said:

Jeez we drew 0-0 with championship Dundee Utd at home. Yeah looks good for the fantastic season ahead.I’m afraid it’s not looking too clever already.

finished 1-1. Maybe you missed the first half 

Juanjo
1 hour ago, Mdoug79 said:

Appologies to the spelling police, half cut and autocorrect on my phone 

I wasn’t picking you up on the spelling - how can one of your first observations be that McDonald was towing a trailer? That’s absolutely bizarre.

Armageddon

If tonight was a pre season friendly I’d be happy with many many positives, the Academy boys look great now with McDonald bulking up too, Smith another 10/10, Clare showing some great touches, massive gap in midfield for me though but we know who’ll fill that deep striker role..

One full hour of absolute torrential rain and the pitch still looked immaculate, that’s what £1m gets you!

Mdoug79
4 minutes ago, Juanjo said:

I wasn’t picking you up on the spelling - how can one of your first observations be that McDonald was towing a trailer? That’s absolutely bizarre.

You didnt  think he looked as slow as a weekend in the nick? 

Gershwin
2 hours ago, maroonedinbriz said:

I am the only one to think Uche is more of a hindrance than advantage?

Nope. He's been off the boil since he came back from injury. 

Barack

Special mention to Meep Meep too.

Especially the first half, where he had their defence literally rugby tackling him to stop him.

Stupid pace.

ArcticJambo
2 hours ago, everton_jambo said:

Hard to gauge where we are on that performance. I thought we looked half decent for most of the game without really creating clear cut chances. Plus, United were absolutely dreadful. Robbie’s comments after the game we’re baffling.

This about sums it up for me.  We huffed & puffed, and United helped too.

Kiwidoug

27 pages?

No lack of interest then.

cosanostra

We'll be so much better when Naismith and Haring are ready.

Jamhammer
5 hours ago, Soapy Soutar said:

Strange comments reguarding washington imo,made some nice runs worked hard,closed down and pressed from the front

Same here. Thought, along with Walker he added pace and worked his knacks off. 

tazhearts

At one point in the second half we had five home grown players on the pitch....

Berra

Hickey

Walker

Irving

Zanatta

That must be the most home grown players we've had on the pitch at one time for a long time.

upgotheheads

We had no striker on the bench last night. Are Wighton, Keena and Smith all injured ?

NaturalOrder74

Bit disappointed we didn’t bury them but from what I heard sounds like we were unlucky not to and that’s a good sign for first competitive game against a half decent side, very excited by the fact these younger players will get a decent run of games against weaker sides to hopefully get right into the team for the season.

johnking123

In a few more weeks.  We will be far sharper. Think we are far stronger than last season.

Edited by johnking123

Irufushi
1 hour ago, tazhearts said:

At one point in the second half we had five home grown players on the pitch....

Berra

Hickey

Walker

Irving

Zanatta

That must be the most home grown players we've had on the pitch at one time for a long time.

Since the Relegation season Probably.

i8hibsh
54 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

In a few more weeks.  We will be far sharper. Think we are far stronger than last season.

Hmmm

i8hibsh
1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

We had no striker on the bench last night. Are Wighton, Keena and Smith all injured ?

Wighton is a striker?

i8hibsh
7 hours ago, Barack said:

Especially the first half, where he had their defence literally rugby tackling him to stop him.

Stupid pace.

Meep meep

:gok:

Punks No Deid

Stupid pace.

His crosses were very good as well 

meep meep 🤭

Prof

So we are now reduced to bragging that we drew 1-1 against a championship team at home.

Edited by Prof

Dayman

Stupid pace.

Played well except for the time he was through with only the center back to beat and managed to pull off an exceptional last gasp tackle on himself. He’s quite literally too fast for his own feet sometimes 😂

Longshanks
10 minutes ago, Prof said:

So we are now reduced to bragging that we drew 1-1 against a championship team at home.

I think folk are mainly taking positives from the game and certain impressive individual performances.  Also we won the game on penalties so I'm claiming that as a victory for us :lol:

HoGwash
11 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

I think folk are mainly taking positives from the game and certain impressive individual performances.  Also we won the game on penalties so I'm claiming that as a victory for us :lol:

As we won on penalties, of course it's a win. Just like had we lost on penalties it would obviously have been a draw :lol:

Longshanks
2 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

As we won on penalties, of course it's a win. Just like had we lost on penalties it would obviously have been a draw :lol:

Exactly! :lol:

You walk away from a game with one point? = draw.  Anything more than one point? = Win. 

Harry Potter
27 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

tbh utd must be the worst penalty takers in scotland.

Icon of Symmetry

Haring, Halkett, Naismith and (apparently/allegedly) two more new signings to come. We have a bit of a team on our hands here.

TheBigO

Missed last night due to terrible family planning!

Any highlights available online???

XB52
1 hour ago, Prof said:

FTH

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Prof said:

IMG_4134.JPG

XB52
35 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

Exactly! :lol:

You walk away from a game with one point? = draw.  Anything more than one point? = Win. 

The penalty Win is really important as it should mean we will win the group, assuming we don't cock up the other 3 games 

kimosavi
On 12/07/2019 at 09:20, Jambosteve1902 said:

Aye like we did against Rangers at tynie under Neilson where we beat them 4-0.  your a slavour 95% of the time. 

I'll take that 

I can work with 5% 

Leveins Battalion

Thoroughly enjoyed last night,in particular the link up between Hickey and Mulraney,Uche looks rusty but expected,Smith outstanding,Walker wi get better.Loads to look forward to 👍

Maroon Sailor
22 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Thoroughly enjoyed last night,in particular the link up between Hickey and Mulraney,Uche looks rusty but expected,Smith outstanding,Walker wi get better.Loads to look forward to 👍

I think if he was fully fit Uche would look rusty

Dino Velvet
25 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Really? 

jambogemz
11 hours ago, Prof said:

Fairly obvious it was tonight’s. Some supporters have blinkers when it comes to games. Reality is we were grim, with many of the team incapable of passing a ball to a teammate. 1-1 against a Championship team is nothing to brag about.

:cornette:

Either not at the game or trolling. 

Pretty sad. 

grumpyespana

My take on last night firstly the weather was terrible but was pleased with most aspects of the team. I thought our keepers kick outs at times were poor and his positioning for there goal was terrible also Uche was off the pace as was Washington, now to the positives Hickey, Irvine, Smith, Mulraney and Walker were very good as for a wee moan at Levein why did he take Jake off he was causing them problems so overall as it was our first game not to bad also with Naisey waiting in the wings things are looking good.

heartsfc_fan

Any highlights?

EIEIO

Quite enjoyed the game both strikers a bit off the pace otherwise we would have hammered them. Hickey, Smith and Walker top performers closely followed by Irving. Disappointed not to see Halkett as both Berra and Souttar were ordinary last night.

grumpyespana
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

tbh utd must be the worst penalty takers in scotland.

Why they only missed one of there penalties lol.

clark963
1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Haring, Halkett, Naismith and (apparently/allegedly) two more new signings to come. We have a bit of a team on our hands here.

Naismith in for Uche (he doesn't know what he's doing half the time)Halkett in for Berra and Harring in the midfield probably at Irvine's expense, although I thought he was terrific last night and thats a potent starting 11. 

Some promising signs last night.

Edited by clark963