***Official Hearts v United Match Thread***

gov

Alex Kintner
9 minutes ago, The_razors_edge said:

A guy I know very well used to scout the Fife region for Hearts and actually recommended him to Hearts while he was at AM Soccer. This was while he was playing under 17’s boys club football in the Fife youth leagues. Saw him by chance after turning up to watch a different game at the same venue where his AM Soccer team were playing. I was told he was an absolute standout. 

He did look good. Commentator mentioned something about Austin McCann setting up a trial at Roma for him when he was 18?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

• sadj

Soapy Soutar
36 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Washington needs to improve massively on tonight’s performance

I would have brought Zanatta on for him with 25 to go

Walker and Mulraney were a real handful but we need a proper goal scorer in the middle to convert the chances 

And thought Clare was anonymous which was really disappointing but it is only the first game so I’m sure we can push on as we actually played some nice stuff tonight far better than the turgid stuff after Christmas last season 

Strange comments reguarding washington imo,made some nice runs worked hard,closed down and pressed from the front

3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Thought we played well first half, poor the second half.  A mixture of poor finishing and poor decision making when we were all over them. Naismith in for Clare will improve the team dramatically, although we still look shite up front.  Instead of one guy that couldn’t score in a barrel of ******s, looks like we now have two.

It’s early days for denzil mate 

he has a good pedigree, just needs a bit of time and games to adapt. I don’t think this is a Vanacek repeat.

Probably good that he has the Betfred games and lower league opposition to find his feet before the league starts 

Most concerning part for me is a JBK member had family over from Milan and took them to Asda as part of a pre match ritual. 

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, Hearts1975 said:

he has a good pedigree, just needs a bit of time and games to adapt. I don’t think this is a Vanacek repeat.

Probably good that he has the Betfred games and lower league opposition to find his feet before the league starts 

Hope you’re right - a few goals against the 3 part time teams might get his confidence up. Looking at his record to date though, I don’t think we should be expecting a 20 goal a season player, and Uche will never be that either.

Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

Hope you’re right - a few goals against the 3 part time teams might get his confidence up. Looking at his record to date though, I don’t think we should be expecting a 20 goal a season player, and Uche will never be that either.

Goal scoring ratio not great on paper 

I remember reading an article from Michael O Neill saying his work rate and attitude is terrific and that he gets himself into the right positions .. hopefully he can find his feet in the SPL 

it wasnt that long ago that that he was rated in the millions in terms of transfer value 

fingers crossed foe him 👍

The_razors_edge
9 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

He did look good. Commentator mentioned something about Austin McCann setting up a trial at Roma for him when he was 18?

Yeah he went over for a ‘trial’. In reality it was really just a couple of days training. He turned out for Raith youths a couple of times before United offered him a deal.

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Doc Rob said:

Once again I thought Clare played well, and other people seem determined to run him down.

I’ve been a big critic of his since almost day one and again I thought he was very passive and lacks this drive that we were told he had. Too often he’s jogging around on the periphery of a game when you just want him to show us this Dele Alli/Colin Cameron type player we were told he was. Maybe if they hadn’t said anything he’d be getting a lot more slack but there it is I suppose. Nobody wants him to fail I’d love nothing more than him to ram all my criticism down my throat but it’s early days this season so hopefully it’ll improve. 

As far as rest of the team go I thought we played pretty well in spells and but for some poor decisions and the ball just not dropping for us we’d have won that fairly comfortably I reckon. Thought Jamie looked hungry but tired a bit  and I for one was really delighted to see him back in maroon. Hickey, what a player we have there, could be best young lad to come through in a long time hard to believe his age. Andy Irving also looks composed on the ball I like him a lot. Washington reminded me of Stevo quite a bit tonight. He didn’t have a great game but wasn’t terrible I can see him becoming a favourite once he gets off the mark. 

Mulraney looks like he might become a very important player for us, his crossing was proper lovely at times and he has pace to burn.  I also can’t wait to see a fit Naismith in that front line. I think we might be ok this season tbh. 

My tuppence worth anyway. 

Guest ToqueJambo
19 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

Impressed by Walker's performance.  Looked like the old Jamie Walker we had when he was flying at Hearts.  He looked dangerous every time he was on the ball, always looking to create something or take a player on.  Lost count of the number of times he was hacked down.  

He also had about three really good chances to score.  he didn't; take them but most of them were as a result of his positional play / anticipation / running off the ball.

The fear about him being slow and having lost his pace is also unfounded.  Looked like a he decent turn of pace.  I think he will be a major player for us this season chipping in with 10 - 12 goals.

He looked like a man on a mission. Don't think I've ever seen him win the ball back so often.

We need more players who worry defenders and put teams on the back foot. That's what we missed last season. We only had Uche and Naismith and Mulraney when he came onto a game, and two fo them were out for long periods. This season we've got Uche, Nasimith, Walker and Mulraney, and I thought Washington linked up well before fading.

Edited by ToqueJambo

rudi must stay
11 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Football unfortunately = goals to many

There's more to it than that. They rarely tackled him, he linked up fine, worked hard

I'm sure CL knows he did fine, I do think the big thing may be goals with him. But if he didn't have that weakness we wouldn't have got it. And he'll provide a good out ball, and I hate the cliche as it's overused on here and everywhere but I do think a goal early on in his Hearts career would be a massive thing for him

Edited by rudi must stay

Governor Tarkin
57 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Thought tonight was a total contrast to the vast majority of games last season to be honest 🤷🏻‍♂️

Agreed. Hasn't rained like that in ages.

Governor Tarkin
Just now, soonbe110 said:

Michael Smith - Scottish footballs penalty of the season in opening game. 

It was a cracker.

I thought mutton-chop Dave's was a belter too. The laddie has a bit of class about him.

Alex Kintner
13 minutes ago, Homme said:

Most concerning part for me is a JBK member had family over from Milan and took them to Asda as part of a pre match ritual. 

:jjyay:

2 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Football unfortunately = goals to many

There's more to it than that. They rarely tackled him, he linked up fine, worked hard

I'm sure CL knows he did fine, I do think the big thing may be goals with him. But if he didn't have that weakness we wouldn't have got it. And he'll provide a good out ball, and I hate the cliche as it's overused on here and everywhere but I do think a goal early on in his Hearts career would be a massive thing for him

Agree with that and you make the key point saying that if he didn’t have any faults then we wouldn’t have signed him 

that said, I personally think it was a huge “coup” that we dis get him.

Austin has obviously been integral in that process along with lads like lafferty, Smith, Hughes etc encouraging him to sign with us 

Ernie Eskilsson
44 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

To be fair, Berra and Souttar still guilty of too many aimless hoofs.

Too many aimless hoofs and both were poor defensively. Souttar will play better but I’m not sure about Berra, right now he doesn’t deserve to start.

29 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

Impressed by Walker's performance.  Looked like the old Jamie Walker we had when he was flying at Hearts.  He looked dangerous every time he was on the ball, always looking to create something or take a player on.  Lost count of the number of times he was hacked down.  

He also had about three really good chances to score.  he didn't; take them but most of them were as a result of his positional play / anticipation / running off the ball.

The fear about him being slow and having lost his pace is also unfounded.  Looked like a he decent turn of pace.  I think he will be a major player for us this season chipping in with 10 - 12 goals.

Agreed. Great to have him back. 

Auld Reekin'
19 minutes ago, Homme said:

:rattus:

Apart from our reliance on Uche who I have to say is unreliable,  we did look good in spells. Walker was desperate to score, perhaps a bit too much, but cannot fault his effort. Hickey is a find! Clare had some decent touches and will be better with better attacking options around him I reckon...

maroonsgotop
2 hours ago, Captain Scarlett said:

Jeez we drew 0-0 with championship Dundee Utd at home. Yeah looks good for the fantastic season ahead.I’m afraid it’s not looking too clever already.

finished 1-1. Maybe you missed the first half 

1 hour ago, Mdoug79 said:

Appologies to the spelling police, half cut and autocorrect on my phone 

I wasn’t picking you up on the spelling - how can one of your first observations be that McDonald was towing a trailer? That’s absolutely bizarre.

If tonight was a pre season friendly I’d be happy with many many positives, the Academy boys look great now with McDonald bulking up too, Smith another 10/10, Clare showing some great touches, massive gap in midfield for me though but we know who’ll fill that deep striker role..

One full hour of absolute torrential rain and the pitch still looked immaculate, that’s what £1m gets you!

4 minutes ago, Juanjo said:

I wasn’t picking you up on the spelling - how can one of your first observations be that McDonald was towing a trailer? That’s absolutely bizarre.

You didnt  think he looked as slow as a weekend in the nick? 

2 hours ago, maroonedinbriz said:

I am the only one to think Uche is more of a hindrance than advantage?

Nope. He's been off the boil since he came back from injury. 

ArcticJambo
2 hours ago, everton_jambo said:

Hard to gauge where we are on that performance. I thought we looked half decent for most of the game without really creating clear cut chances. Plus, United were absolutely dreadful. Robbie’s comments after the game we’re baffling.

This about sums it up for me.  We huffed & puffed, and United helped too.

5 hours ago, Soapy Soutar said:

Strange comments reguarding washington imo,made some nice runs worked hard,closed down and pressed from the front

Same here. Thought, along with Walker he added pace and worked his knacks off. 

At one point in the second half we had five home grown players on the pitch....

Berra

Hickey

Walker

Irving

Zanatta

That must be the most home grown players we've had on the pitch at one time for a long time.

NaturalOrder74

Bit disappointed we didn’t bury them but from what I heard sounds like we were unlucky not to and that’s a good sign for first competitive game against a half decent side, very excited by the fact these younger players will get a decent run of games against weaker sides to hopefully get right into the team for the season.

johnking123

In a few more weeks.  We will be far sharper. Think we are far stronger than last season.

Edited by johnking123

1 hour ago, tazhearts said:

At one point in the second half we had five home grown players on the pitch....

Berra

Hickey

Walker

Irving

Zanatta

That must be the most home grown players we've had on the pitch at one time for a long time.

Since the Relegation season Probably.

54 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

In a few more weeks.  We will be far sharper. Think we are far stronger than last season.

Hmmm

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

We had no striker on the bench last night. Are Wighton, Keena and Smith all injured ?

Wighton is a striker?

7 hours ago, Barack said:

Special mention to Meep Meep too.

Especially the first half, where he had their defence literally rugby tackling him to stop him.

Stupid pace.

Meep meep

:gok:

Punks No Deid

Especially the first half, where he had their defence literally rugby tackling him to stop him.

Stupid pace.

His crosses were very good as well 

meep meep 🤭

So we are now reduced to bragging that we drew 1-1 against a championship team at home.

Edited by Prof

Stupid pace.

Played well except for the time he was through with only the center back to beat and managed to pull off an exceptional last gasp tackle on himself. He’s quite literally too fast for his own feet sometimes 😂

10 minutes ago, Prof said:

So we are now reduced to bragging that we drew 1-1 against a championship team at home.

I think folk are mainly taking positives from the game and certain impressive individual performances.  Also we won the game on penalties so I'm claiming that as a victory for us :lol:

11 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

I think folk are mainly taking positives from the game and certain impressive individual performances.  Also we won the game on penalties so I'm claiming that as a victory for us :lol:

As we won on penalties, of course it's a win. Just like had we lost on penalties it would obviously have been a draw :lol:

2 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

As we won on penalties, of course it's a win. Just like had we lost on penalties it would obviously have been a draw :lol:

Exactly! :lol:

You walk away from a game with one point? = draw.  Anything more than one point? = Win. 

Harry Potter
27 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

tbh utd must be the worst penalty takers in scotland.

Haring, Halkett, Naismith and (apparently/allegedly) two more new signings to come. We have a bit of a team on our hands here.

1 hour ago, Prof said:

FTH

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Prof said:

IMG_4134.JPG

35 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

Exactly! :lol:

You walk away from a game with one point? = draw.  Anything more than one point? = Win. 

The penalty Win is really important as it should mean we will win the group, assuming we don't cock up the other 3 games