***Official Hearts v United Match Thread***

gov

heartsfc_fan

Have we played a 3-5-2 at all during pre-season?

I think it will be 4-4-2. Halkett playing that Haring role.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

• sadj

Leveins Battalion
1 minute ago, iantjambo said:

Maybe they thought you were a Dundee United spy :conspiracy:

If I was a Utd spy I wouldn't of been overly concerned with Hearts quality.

2 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

How do United setup striker wise? 1 or 2 up front?

Not sure but they've got some pretty decent options up front. Shankland,Sow,Clark, Cammy Smith amongst others.

scott herbertson

First game of the season and looking forward to it in the usual early 70's faux optimsm way

"This could be our season" after the first good move

"Same old rubbish - I don't know why I bother any more" after the first United goal

Edited by scott herbertson

Haringshairband
9 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Not even waiting to watch us play before branding us as poor :lol:

Leveins Battalion
Just now, Haringshairband said:

Not even waiting to watch us play before branding us as poor :lol:

I seen enough last season to judge that we need more than Conor Washington to make a difference,hope I am wrong though.

Haringshairband
Just now, Leveins Battalion said:

I seen enough last season to judge that we need more than Conor Washington to make a difference,hope I am wrong though.

This is a new season with players like Clare and Mulraney bedded in I think we'll be better.

I fancy us to make a strong start. Think we will do them in a pretty one-sided affair.

Git thum pumped!

16 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Really? You would be Jack Easy about Berra, Souttar, Smith, Washington, Ikpeazu, Mulraney and Clare all being better than anything your own team had to put on the pitch? I hope the United coaching staff are equally blasé, but I somehow doubt it.

This thread is unbelievable. Playing a Championship team at home, yes there are a few injuries but with the experience and youth that is available Hearst should be confident. That game the other night was against ICT strongest side and they ran Utd close last season, just ran out of steam, Hearts had a very young side out.

Friday will see, Souttar, Clare, Mulraney, Uche, Edwards added in to the boys who did well the other night. A bit of experience, strength coupled with the energy, pace that the young players have.....Utd hardly been setting the world alight in pre season...

Have some faith in the players instead of moaning about them before  a ball is kicked....unbelievable....

Leveins Battalion
5 minutes ago, Haringshairband said:

This is a new season with players like Clare and Mulraney bedded in I think we'll be better.

Like I say, I hope I am wrong but I feel we are short of quality,happy for them to prove me wrong.

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Let's nip this in the bud now. 

Halkett will start. This week and every week fitness permitted.

Oh and 2-1 Hearts.

Who won’t be playing?

3 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Zlamal

Smith

Souttar

Berra

Burns

Zanatta

Bozanic

Clare

Mulraney

Uche

Washingston

If we're playing a back 4, I'd expect White to be playing instead of Burns, seen as he's a LB & Burns most certainly isn't. 

54 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

And what exactly are Dundee Utd? 

A side that are about to start their fourth attempt at getting out of the championship.

And what exactly were Dundee when they lost loads, came to Tynie, won then lost loads again straight after? Why did it take two matches to get past Championship relegation candidates Partick Thistle in the SC?

It's not really about what Utd are or aren't. It's about how we play and how Utd will come down and fancy their chances. Of course they will, every club will but, Neilson of all people will know straight away what Levein's selection weaknesses are within minutes. To be honest, he was brought through his management debut by Levein so I would tend to expect a fairly negative game with passes going side to side and back to defence from both teams. Unless of course Neilson has dropped the style he was conditioned to use back then and has his own style of training/shape etc. now that the shackles are off and he can do as he wishes. They have some decent attacking threat so they'll get chances. Whether they take them....time will tell. As for us...i'm sure Levein will just be happy to get a result no matter how good/poor we play. As long as we do win I suppose it doesn't really matter.

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, iainmac said:

If we're playing a back 4, I'd expect White to be playing instead of Burns, seen as he's a LB & Burns most certainly isn't. 

White isn’t playing. I’d expect Hickey to play left back as he’s a left back though ...

Haringshairband
1 minute ago, iainmac said:

Think I saw an article where Levein said White and Walker aren't 100% ready.

37 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Will Smith and Hickey both be fit enought to play?

Don't think we've signed Will Smith, could be wrong but I think he's still acting in movies. Could do a job though.......

Midloth_Iain

Zlamal

Smith, Souttar, Berra, Hickey

Cochrane, Halkett

Clare,

Mulraney, Zanatta

Keena or Uche

2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

White isn’t playing. I’d expect Hickey to play left back as he’s a left back though ...

He played against Glenavon, didn't notice him picking up a knock. If he's out, agreed it should be Hickey, not Burns at LB. 

Mr Elwood P
Just now, iainmac said:

He played against Glenavon, didn't notice him picking up a knock. If he's out, agreed it should be Hickey, not Burns at LB. 

Levein said he’s not playing. Evening News. 

Alex Kintner
5 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Levein already confirmed White won’t play. Burns started there on Monday.

Alex Kintner
2 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Don't think we've signed Will Smith, could be wrong but I think he's still acting in movies. Could do a job though.......

Think he prefers refereeing 👍🏻

I'm going along in hope more than expectation, just not confident in our squad this season at all.  Too many injury prone players that will do well to play 15 games this year.

2 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Levein already confirmed White won’t play. Burns started there on Monday.

I'd personally not play a guy out of position against a Championship side when we have a guy that's already appeared & acquitted himself well in our biggest game last season for that position. 

Ted Hastings
22 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

You really think, we did something successfully in the latter part of last season?

Well I did add the wee caveat ‘with a bit of success’ there to cover myself. 

To be fair we were two absolutely calamitous mistakes away from winning the Scottish cup final. That’s not down to team or tactics, just individual errors. I’m just one of those hopeless eternal optimists.

Jambosteve1902
1 hour ago, Ted Hastings said:

I’d stick with the 4-3-3 that Craig implemented (with a bit of success) late last season.

Zlamal

Smith Souttar Berra Hickey

Edwards  Bozanic

Clare

Zanatta Washington Mulraney

this for me. 

TyphoonJambo
13 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

If he brings his wee flashy pen thing we could forget last season. 

44 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

How do United setup striker wise? 1 or 2 up front?

They'll be 1 up top then revert to 5-4-0 if they go 1-0 up and Defend their lead 

I think we are well behind being prepared to show our best on the field and a bit worried about kicking off with the hardest game first. 

However, we have strengthened in forward areas, I think Clare and Mulraney will kick on and the gauntlet is down for some of the young guys to challenge for a place in the first team. This should be enough to see us through until we get up to full strength. 

Its interesting to just say get more starting level players in. We are already struggling to fit Halkett into the starting 11. If we were to sign a few more “starters”, where will the opportunities be for young players breaking through and how do we keep the starters happy when we have a fully fit squad. If we stick to 4-4-2 and Souttar and Berra stay fit, how content would Halkett be moving from Captain of a Premier League side to warming the bench for half a season?  It’s a fine balance. 

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

What a terrible situation we’re in to even be thinking about a Championship side who’ve been stuck there for several seasons to have better players than us.

they have better players now though = let's see how we get on on Friday

26 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Who won’t be playing?

Haring he's injured - makes sense to use a defensive minded player who can tackle and clearly play a bit

2 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Who is better? Give me Dundee United's squad and rate them out of 10 compared to Hearts please

Because I thought Dundee United were stuck in the league below...

I hate games at start of season. Reading through the forum I don't know if I should be quietly optimistic or shitting bricks at another mind numbing Craig Levein set up and performance. 

I will go for 1-0 us. 

1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

If we’re going to shite ourselves over ******* Dundee Utd, then we may as well write off the season before it starts.

I think some folk already have, Ian

Leveins Battalion
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I think some folk already have, Ian

When did we last win a competitive game?

Mr Elwood P
2 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Skelped a a Championship team 3-0 at Hampden. We’re playing a Championship team on Friday. Logic says a Hearts win!

20 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Ooh! Give us a scouting report please JiH. Didn’t realise they had signed loads of good players recently.

DuncansDoughnuts
15 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Skelped a a Championship team 3-0 at Hampden. We’re playing a Championship team on Friday. Logic says a Hearts win!

That's what worries me. 

15 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

So using your logic we'll never win a competitive game ever again.

1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

And what exactly are Dundee Utd? 

A side that are about to start their fourth attempt at getting out of the championship.

I didn’t think much of Dunfermline’s chances 2 years ago...how did that turnout again?  Or that we would struggle last season against Raith.  

This competition has the potential for lots of upsets at this stage in the season.

Edited by McCrae

Please just shut me up Hearts and ram my negativity down my throat. New shape, new style of play and I will be happy. 

44 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

It would be like the wild wild west out on the left with him 🙈

Leveins Battalion
2 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

So using your logic we'll never win a competitive game ever again.

No,using the logic that we are on a very poor run of form going back many months and that

we have lost midfield players and not replaced them and that most of our new signings are

injured and not available.

1 minute ago, McCrae said:

I didn’t think much of Dunfermline’s chances 2 years ago...how did that turnout again?  Or that we would struggle last season against Raith.  

This competition has the potential for lots of upsets at this stage in the season.

I don't disagree with that. Just a lot of people seem to be throwing the towel in before a ball is even kicked in anger