The Gay Footballer

Hampden Demolition

36 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I don't believe myself to be persecuted.  I don't give the slightest **** about being allowed entry into LGBTQ+.

I, like most people in LGBTQ+ in this country have a pretty non oppressed life.

and yet over and over and over again you post on this subject that you have no interest in. Seriously you need help

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Norm

• ri Alban

• Morph

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I love my wife like I can't describe, and getting married is the best decision I will make in my whole life. Sorry if you've had a bad experience, but our relationship is in no way oppressive.

Was just a joke.  Great to hear you have had a great first year of marriage and hope the remaining ones are just as good.

p.s I inserted another joke in there

Good to hear tho Sass

I don't think it's anyones' business whether a player is gay or not. Why even make a thing of it? As long as he gives his all with his club's strip on then it's pretty irrelevant to be honest. There's probably been hundreds of gay footballers, no real need to highlight it as far as i'm concerned. A non-story.

Fighting cancer is brave, leaving a violent husband is brave, saying "I am gay" is not.

Sorry I8 but "coming out" is. We are a long way away from being a fully inclusive society. The LGBT community will be persecuted for a long time yet even though we are heading in the the right direction.

Edited by Marvin

been here before
7 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Well they seem to always want to label themselves.  I reckon the labels people give themselves is quite defining.

And rather than define yourself by love, respect or admiration for the team you purport to support you choose to define yourself by hatred.

Pretty defining.

7 minutes ago, been here before said:

And rather than define yourself by love, respect or admiration for the team you purport to support you choose to define yourself by hatred.

Pretty defining.

Everyone hates.

I don't define myself by hatred.

been here before
2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Everyone hates.

Your name in here is demonstrable that you do.

Of all the combinations of words or numbers you could have chosen you've chosen to define yourself by what you hate.

Might be worthwhile adding something about being an attention seeker too.

Edited by been here before

2 hours ago, sassenach said:

No bother, I'm not going to gang up on you because you have opinions. 20 years just gone, by the way, still newly-weds ;)

I always suspect people who say they are deliriously happily married have a mistress on the side...It is all part of the subterfuge. She reads your JKB, doesn't she? 😋

Craig Gordons Gloves
3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

LGBTQ+ is not open to include me in any way shape or form.

Hope this clears this up.

Absolute shite.  I'll give you an example, i'm heterosexual, married with 2 kids and a member of our workplace PRIDE group.  Now, if LGBTQ isn't open to you, it's because you haven't tried or aren't interested. Not because you're excluded by them.  

7 minutes ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

Absolute shite.  I'll give you an example, i'm heterosexual, married with 2 kids and a member of our workplace PRIDE group.  Now, if LGBTQ isn't open to you, it's because you haven't tried or aren't interested. Not because you're excluded by them.  

Why would I try? Their community is not special and they are not important to me. They are just normal people like me.

46 minutes ago, Shrekeo said:

Your name!

:vrface:

You know my real name is not 'i8hibsh' yeah?

Well at least I'll know I am on mushrooms if I ever see i8 about in rainbow strips. But then I guess everyone would probably have rainbows in that scenario.

1 minute ago, Barack said:

Ooh, ooh, me sir! I know your real name, pick me!

It is not Dickhead before you start!

been here before
23 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

You know my real name is not 'i8hibsh' yeah?

Which is sort of the point. 

Edited by been here before

I bought a lighter yesterday  and it wasn't until I read this topic that I noticed it has a rainbow coloured heart on it. :laugh:

Good luck to the individual genuinely couldnt give a **** either way, everyone can live their life the way they please.

You only get one so make sure its a happy one.

49 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Why would I try? Their community is not special and they are not important to me. They are just normal people like me.

The point though, is that you said they're not open to you. Yet clearly they are. 

You're not stupid I8. You're not a bad fella. Personally, I just think you like being the JKB panto villain. Which is fine. Panto would be shite without the villain. 

But sometimes it's okay to be, you know, not the villain. Sometimes it's actually okay and correct to be "right on". No-one will think any less of you if, for once in a while, you weren't the "Oh no they're not" fella. 

If you don't give a **** about someone's sexuality, and I don't think you do give a ****, and you're not interested in people who do want to discuss it, then maybe you should just go "Nah, I'll just stay out of this one" and leave us lefty libtards to themselves. Otherwise you end up tying yourself in knots and look you're trying your hardest to look the idiot I don't believe you are. 

Just my tuppence worth. 

Edited by Normthebarman

3 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I bought a lighter yesterday  and it wasn't until I read this topic that I noticed it has a rainbow coloured heart on it. :laugh:

I suspect your lighter is trying to tell you it would rather be with another lighter in your pocket than a pack of ciggies...

Mr Elwood P
4 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Everyone hates.

You’ve outdone yourself on the slaverOmeter on the this thread. Maybe jump on eBay and see if you can get one of those wee slaver hoovers the dental nurses have. Prevent you choking to death on your own nonsense. You’d be missed!

Edited by Mr Elwood P

jambostuart

This thread is a car crash. Gay people don't generally like football? What nonsense. Alan Carr and famously Elton John are huge football fans. It's more likely the "lad culture" of sport has put them off rather than having no interest in the sport itself.

I'm a bisexual and I love Hearts. Fair enough, we may be a lot more tolerant as a society but we are not over the line yet. It wasn't too long ago we were changing the words to a 7 nation army song to make homophobic jibes at Hibs, and society as a whole still hasn't changed. I can't tell certain members of my family my orientation because I know the furious reaction which would follow. 

A shrug of the shoulders and saying "who cares?" is fine, I'm not screaming from the rooftops and forcing it down anyone's throat (maybe could have phrased that better...), but to say their is no oppression on anyone who is not heterosexual or otherwise considered "normal" is being wilfully ignorant.

Being the first (modern day) gay footballer to come out will be very tough for this lad so good luck to him. With the pressure of being 'the first', the extra media scrutiny and the extra chants from the stands, I hope he has a broad set of shoulders and has his head screwed on.

Society has come along way in terms of racism and sectarianism but every season we have at least one incident with a couple of idiots and I would expect the same to be true with homophobia.

Gay, straight, black, brown, skinny, fat, christian, muslim or anything else - if you love Hearts you'll be welcome at Hearts.

14 hours ago, Spellczech said:

I suspect your lighter is trying to tell you it would rather be with another lighter in your pocket than a pack of ciggies...

I bet you first typed fags, realising your faux pas changed it to ciggies before anyone noticed :laugh2:

I used the term LGBTQ a couple of weeks back, got immediately grilled for what the Q means, and when I said Queer, I got berated and told that's a disgusting thing to call someone.

Edited by Locky

21 hours ago, JimKongUno said:

Not trying to be funny , there were a couple of gay lads in my class at school and they preferred gymnastics and bally dancing to football .

Probably English too.

Heartsofgold
1 minute ago, Boris said:

Probably English too.

Or French considering the word's (ballet) origin?

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

I bet you first typed fags, realising your faux pas changed it to ciggies before anyone noticed :laugh2:

Bet he had the fag in his mouth at the time too.

:oohmatron:

Edited by i8hibsh

51 minutes ago, Locky said:

I used the term LGBTQ a couple of weeks back, got immediately grilled for what the Q means, and when I said Queer, I got berated and told that's a disgusting thing to call someone.

I thought queer was derogatory for a while as well but a lot of gay people choose to identify that way. 

1 hour ago, Morph said:

I thought queer was derogatory for a while as well but a lot of gay people choose to identify that way. 

It's not something I would genuinely use in day to day context or anything as I didn't think it was the most PC term, but to my knowledge, that's what the Q genuinely stands for.

27 minutes ago, Locky said:

It's not something I would genuinely use in day to day context or anything as I didn't think it was the most PC term, but to my knowledge, that's what the Q genuinely stands for.

You’re absolutely right, I had always associated it with a negative term though. 

‘Queer’ was chucked about a lot as an insult when I was younger but have seen gay people happily identify as it so I guess like most terms it’s the context that its used that decides if its offensive or not.  I think it’s for them to call themselves it rather than labelling every gay person as queer as don’t think it necessarily  just means gay. 

Tbh I don’t really have much of a clue about terminology for how people identify but happy just to let people call themselves what they want :laugh: 

Edited by Morph

Gay bloke at my work is a ST holder at Sheffield United and part time referee. His boyfriend is ST holder at Nottingham Forest.

My eldest son is gay and can’t kick a football to save his life, isn’t interested in football and yet looked proud as punch when his grandad took him to have his photo taken with the Scottish Cup in his Hearts top.

My female partner hates football and yet quite enjoyed watching the WWC.

I guess life is more complex than mere platitudes.

Whilst on topic. Queer is still derogatory even though the gay community use it to describe each other. I learned this in my training for Diversity and Equality Lead in my office.

PumpkinJambo

I think that the whole coming out as gay thing is more to do with being able to go out for a meal or the pub and hold hands with your partner without scummy tabloids going to town.  Sadly by coming out said scummy tabloids will go to town anyway but at least it will be on the player’s terms.  

I’m glad to read that so many of you don’t care about the sexuality of players.  In all honestly that’s the way the world should be but unfortunately it’s not.  There are still people out there who react extremely negatively when a person deviates from the ‘norm’.  I’d like to say that this will die out but sadly the last lot of people I heard being homophobic were a group of ‘lads’ younger than me.  (I’m in my early 30s).  

jack D and coke
50 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Whilst on topic. Queer is still derogatory even though the gay community use it to describe each other. I learned this in my training for Diversity and Equality Lead in my office.

Ffs :lol: 

You can’t help but offend people these days. 

Soapy Soutar
58 minutes ago, PumpkinJambo said:

I think that the whole coming out as gay thing is more to do with being able to go out for a meal or the pub and hold hands with your partner without scummy tabloids going to town.  Sadly by coming out said scummy tabloids will go to town anyway but at least it will be on the player’s terms.  

I’m glad to read that so many of you don’t care about the sexuality of players.  In all honestly that’s the way the world should be but unfortunately it’s not.  There are still people out there who react extremely negatively when a person deviates from the ‘norm’.  I’d like to say that this will die out but sadly the last lot of people I heard being homophobic were a group of ‘lads’ younger than me.  (I’m in my early 30s).  

What about people who think its wrong but dont give abuse or act negatively?

5 minutes ago, Soapy Soutar said:

I don't have a problem with that. They can even make their feelings known on the matter, that they believe homosexuality is wrong. If people want to arrange a "homosexuality is wrong" parade and campaign for it be illegal again, they should be allowed to. 

But as soon as they act on that by being abusive and being discriminatory, they're in the wrong and should be called out for it. 

Edited by Normthebarman

14 minutes ago, Soapy Soutar said:

How can it be wrong? It’s not some sort of choice, gay, not gay, bi sexual that’s it there’s no blurred lines. I’d love to hear the argument for it being ‘wrong’

The Internet
29 minutes ago, Soapy Soutar said:

Just curious what is a acceptable term these days for someone who is gay?

Gay?

34 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Ffs :lol: 

You can’t help but offend people these days. 

The problem with diversity is that anybody can be offended at something. It could be race, ageism,  JKB"s favourite religion. Anything.

45 minutes ago, Barack said:

Could change it.

"Oh, the Hibees are care-free..."

No?

"Oh, the Hibees are neds..."

Or once the American has plunged Hibs into unrecoverable debts:

"Oh, the Hibees are dead..." :D

Edited by kila

1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

How can it be wrong? It’s not some sort of choice, gay, not gay, bi sexual that’s it there’s no blurred lines. I’d love to hear the argument for it being ‘wrong’

What's right about it?