The Gay Footballer

Hampden Demolition

Unknown user
16 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

You can tell a person's sexuality by looking at them?  Interesting.

I knew Aiden McGeady was a lesbian the second I set eyes on him

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Norm

• ri Alban

• Morph

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

It will be a nightmare for that player though

Most people will just say “oh, ok”, shrug their shoulders and judge him on his footballing ability. But here will be a lot of people using it to launch “hilarious” chants and, almost as stressful, that player will be expected to be a spokesperson and role model for gay people everywhere. 

If he turns out to be pish, Like Bosman was, then it’ll be even worse for him. It’s brave of him to be the first since the tragic Fashanu, but I don’t envy him. 

Mr Elwood P
16 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

You can tell a person's sexuality by looking at them?  Interesting.

Seems I can, 38 players at the World Cup where openly gay. That’s more than one.

1 hour ago, Artful Dodger said:

Seriously, does anybody really care?

One minute it's Footballers need privacy and can't go out for a bite of Pasta and a small glass of Pino anymore, now it seems we're all desperate to know Footballers sexuality, just **** off with Shit please. 

Fully agree. 

I don't think this is as big an issue as people make out. 

1 hour ago, Artful Dodger said:

Seriously, does anybody really care?

One minute it's Footballers need privacy and can't go out for a bite of Pasta and a small glass of Pino anymore, now it seems we're all desperate to know Footballers sexuality, just **** off with Shit please. 

Where I'm at.

Will probably be a Luton reserve or someone we've never heard of.

Fair play to them, wish them all the best but personally couldnt care less.

Tommy Brown
35 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

If a gay footballer is on a massive amount of wages and does not come out is he not open to bribery and could be asked to throw a match or get involved in a betting scam?  It is important in this day and age that people stand up and be counted.  If they do they will get fully supported by everyone that matter.  

Staying silent, is that not a more dangerous thing to do?  I get it is a dilemma but we are at a point in time when acceptance levels are high and also society in general has more on their plates to worry about than an issue like this.

:facepalm:

Bridge of Djoum
15 minutes ago, Smithee said:

:rofl:

Bridge of Djoum

I'm just grateful I was raised to accept people for who they are. 

Except Hibs.

And Celtic.

I simply cannot accept either.

I think it's ridiculous we still consider this an issue.

I'm a straight man, wife, child, 2 dogs. Very ordinary really. If someone is gay then why does that mean anything to me? If my son turned out to be gay it wouldn't mean a damn thing. All still people, gay, straight, trans, non binary, kettle, tree who gives a ****, their lives have **** all to do with me or you.

It shouldn't even make the news. People should just be who they are and everyone else should just mind their own damn business and see them as they see any other person on the street.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Hampden Demolition said:

A player currently playing in the English Championship looks set to become the first openly gay football in British Football since Fashanu. Hopefully he gets plenty of support from his teammates, family and friends. I personally don’t think society is ready for it yet but fully respect the decision of whoever this is. 

FD6C26EC-9DA5-4173-ABBC-C9F001610BF8.jpeg

Good luck to him.

If a player plays for your team plays well, scores a winning goal in the last minute, wins you a cup. ... genuinely who realistically cares if you are gay, straight or bisexual? 

The Internet

Unfortunately there will continue to be a big media circus around things like this until there are more out gay players in football, which I'm sure will happen in the next couple of years or so. Shouldn't be an issue of course and the majority probably don't care but it's easy to say that as a straight guy who'll never have to deal with this kind of thing. There's still people who will dish out homophobic abuse and there's always going to be the gossips who just have to know. Utterly ridiculous. Important thing is that gay players don't feel under major pressure to be in that first group to come out. 

been here before
3 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I wasn't into Hearts in Fashanu's time, so I don't remember.

I do remember him as a Norwich player, but he wasn't "out" as far as I remember. Was he out at Hearts?

Aye, just a bit.

Johnny Sandiego

Good luck to the guy. Makes zero difference to me and would suspect 99% of football fans don't care either way.

As usual the media tend to make this a far bigger talking point than it actully is. Predicting some kind of backlash that won't actually happen. They wan't this to be a "divisive issue" to get clicks and sell papers but the truth is most fans are tired of reading about it and only care about a players performance on the pitch.

Spellczech

Diva-like behaviour. Just be who you are, whoever you are and stop fussing about what others may or may not think.

It pisses me off that its such an issue tbh, assembling the press turns something private into a circus. 

I'm not meaning that in a negative way towards the guy, its a result of the attitudes of people that 'coming out' is even a thing. I hope he's able to do it in a way that gets him the right sort sort of reaction and other guys can feel more at ease about 'coming out' if thats what they want to do. Hopefully it increases awareness and it becomes something which is 'normal' and not ridiculed by people. 

Takes a strong character to do what he's going to do, especially with the likely reaction from certain sections of society. Hope he can be viewed as a role model for others. 

scott herbertson
32 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I wasn't into Hearts in Fashanu's time, so I don't remember.

I do remember him as a Norwich player, but he wasn't "out" as far as I remember. Was he out at Hearts?

Gay, black and a catholic I think - the set as far as people with prejudices are concerned

Pish at football unfortunately which was the only thing that mattered

Bridge of Djoum
2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Diva-like behaviour. Just be who you are, whoever you are and stop fussing about what others may or may not think.

You cannot fathom that someone making this public HELPS them and others to even start to begin to be ''who they are''?

You can't see that? It's a wider issue than just one person coming out, It's not a ''look at me'' thing.

2 hours ago, Rudy T said:

I said no names..... and it wasn’t a chair!

Paul Hartley was first name who came to mind and I dont know why :lol:

We used to have an openly gay guy who was a poster on here. Don’t know if he’s still here or not. When he told people, nobody batted an eyelid. I think things had been getting better with racism and homophobia for quite a while, until the alt-right became a thing. ☹️

Spellczech
2 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

You cannot fathom that someone making this public HELPS them and others to even start to begin to be ''who they are''?

You can't see that? It's a wider issue than just one person coming out, It's not a ''look at me'' thing.

Treating it as a big deal is the only thing that makes it a big deal. Just do it, without fanfare, if that is what he wants to do.

Edited by Spellczech

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, Spellczech said:

Treating it as a big deal is the only thing that makes it a big deal. 

It's an attempt to normalize it, not make a big deal of it. 

11 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Thanks for that. I've had a brief read of Wikipedia, and it seems that at the time Fashanu came out he was drifting around lower league clubs in England and North America, so not as big a deal as if he was still at a top level club.

The correct response when it is realised anyone is gay (I hate the term "coming out", as if they are obliged to make an announcement) should be "so what, none of anyone's business". But unfortunately, with a top league footballer, the media would see to it that that isn't the case.

His brother doesn't come out of that too well. Even denied Justin was gay and was just "an attention seeker". 

10 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Thanks for that. I've had a brief read of Wikipedia, and it seems that at the time Fashanu came out he was drifting around lower league clubs in England and North America, so not as big a deal as if he was still at a top level club.

The correct response when it is realised anyone is gay (I hate the term "coming out", as if they are obliged to make an announcement) should be "so what, none of anyone's business". But unfortunately, with a top league footballer, the media would see to it that that isn't the case.

3 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Gay, black and a catholic I think - the set as far as people with prejudices are concerned

Pish at football unfortunately which was the only thing that mattered

Fashanu was a VERY talented player. Unfortunately, he just never seemed to kick on with us... joins a long list over decades on that latter point.

He also unfortunately had an absolute arsehole for a brother who should have helped and supported him, but instead treated him like he had a contagious disease and ridiculed him.

scott herbertson
Just now, Icon of Symmetry said:

Fashanu was a VERY talented player. Unfortunately, he just never seemed to kick on with us... joins a long list over decades on that latter point.

He also unfortunately had an absolute arsehole for a brother who should have helped and supported him, but instead treated him like he had a contagious disease and ridiculed him.

Agree with your second point. I have had a look at his stats and I take back my point about his standard of play. To be fair he looked rubbish at football in his spell with us. Clearly  he had got much worse. Seems strange as he was 32 when he joined us and should have been able to use his experience to do well you would have thought.  He looked physically fit but maybe carrying injuries?

Diadora Van Basten

I have always suspected Ronaldo to be gay. He has a son but no mother and is meant to be in a relationship with his agents daughter. All very suspicious to me.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

1 in 10 men.

There will be many more gay male footballers than most people think.

I would hope that if one man is bold enough to go public others will too.

4 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Agree with your second point. I have had a look at his stats and I take back my point about his standard of play. To be fair he looked rubbish at football in his spell with us. Clearly  he had got much worse. Seems strange as he was 32 when he joined us and should have been able to use his experience to do well you would have thought.  He looked physically fit but maybe carrying injuries?

Honestly did not realise he was 32 when he joined us! 

:wow:

Thatll explain why he never “kicked on” then! 😬

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

1 in 10 men.

There will be many more gay male footballers than most people think.

I would hope that if one man is bold enough to go public others will too.

Nah, mate. It's obviously just attention seeking. 

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

She’s been out of the closet for years. 

5A8502F1-6848-4CBB-83EB-A7C8DF41E0B5.jpeg

Spellczech
12 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

It's an attempt to normalize it, not make a big deal of it. 

So why the social media fanfare and tease? If he wants to do it, do it. Nobody will care. I'm sure it is a big thing for him, as it was for my sister, but it doesn't have to be something we are all involved in...

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, Spellczech said:

So why the social media fanfare and tease? If he wants to do it, do it. Nobody will care. I'm sure it is a big thing for him, as it was for my sister, but it doesn't have to be something we are all involved in...

So don't involve yourself.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

How many gay male pro footballers do you reckon there are?

How many have admitted it?

Like it or not it is a big thing. That’s society’s fault not these players

gashauskis9
9 minutes ago, gjcc said:

She’s been out of the closet for years. 

5A8502F1-6848-4CBB-83EB-A7C8DF41E0B5.jpeg

Leave Eddie Izzard out of this.  

Spellczech
1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Is it? Guys tend to know or at least suspect when another guy is gay. I'm sure there are plenty of footballers who know they have a gay teammate. What difference that the fans should know?  People making a fuss about this stuff is discrimination in itself. 

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

Is it? Guys tend to know or at least suspect when another guy is gay. I'm sure there are plenty of footballers who know they have a gay teammate. What difference that the fans should know?  People making a fuss about this stuff is discrimination in itself. 

Can't tell if you're serious or trolling.

Making a ''fuss'' is discrimination. You seem bitter and insecure.

10 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

"Admitted it". 

That's not helpful language 

Spellczech
8 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Can't tell if you're serious or trolling.

Making a ''fuss'' is discrimination. You seem bitter and insecure.

Um, who are  is trolling?

19 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Bit 1980’s tabloid-ish there.

kingantti1874

It’ll never be the norm till we act like it’s the norm, no press conference, no marches / just get on and live your life like normal. 

2 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Oh cant wait to find out who it is!.....no wait I dont give a toss.

This 👍🏻

Bridge of Djoum
4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

It’ll never be the norm till we act like it’s the norm, no press conference, no marches / just get on and live your life like normal. 

Yeah, celebrating diversity is bad for us all.