The Gay Footballer

Hampden Demolition

Hampden Demolition

A player currently playing in the English Championship looks set to become the first openly gay football in British Football since Fashanu. Hopefully he gets plenty of support from his teammates, family and friends. I personally don’t think society is ready for it yet but fully respect the decision of whoever this is. 

FD6C26EC-9DA5-4173-ABBC-C9F001610BF8.jpeg

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Norm

• ri Alban

• Morph

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Салатные палочки
3 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

A player currently playing in the English Championship looks set to become the first openly gay football in British Football since Fashanu. Hopefully he gets plenty of support from his teammates, family and friends. I personally don’t think society is ready for it yet but fully respect the decision of whoever this is. 

You mean brain-dead, out of touch, middle-aged football fans aren't ready for it?

vegas-voss
8 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

If society isn't ready for it yet then sadly it's says more about society than the player.

vegas-voss
Just now, Barack said:

Society will cope. Those ****ing morons who'll struggle with it & decide to use it as a device to dole out abuse to the player, & any subsequent player(s), should be treated & dealt with in the same manner we deal with racism.

Exactly

Heartsofgold
11 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

Don't agree with the bit in bold however I applaud this players decision.

No chance he's the only gay footballer at a high level. Hopefully, once he comes out, others will feel strong enough to follow suit. 

They'll get pelters from the stand at first but once eedjits start getting turfed out and charged, it should fairly quickly fizzle out. 

Just now, Barack said:

Homosexuality? Yeah, it's definitely real.

Doesn't matter if it's been made up by an online troll or not, the subject is a valid topic. And it will happen sooner rather than later.

Rapinoe from the USA team, is testament to that. 

Let's be honest though, a gay female sportsman in a male dominated sport is never going to be the same level of "scandal", for want of a better word, as a male player. 

Bull's-eye

Seriously, does anybody really care?

One minute it's Footballers need privacy and can't go out for a bite of Pasta and a small glass of Pino anymore, now it seems we're all desperate to know Footballers sexuality, just **** off with Shit please. 

So I don’t think I’m allowed to name names...but...

A manager recently left a club up here (he’s back in employment) because one of his players wanted to announce he was gay...manager told him he wasn’t allowing it in a way that lead to the Player taking  it to the board, player remains at the club, manager as I said no longer there. This may give him and others the platform to announce their sexuality.

It doesn't look real to me, the language used seems a bit off.

Why would it affect his place in the first time? Why would he wait to announce it in a press conference?

Either way, it's about time that people felt comfortable with their sexualitiy without any threat of abuse.

Agree with the poster who said homophobe should be treated the same as racism.

The truth is only the knuckle daggers will care. Good luck to the lad if true.

Edited by Tynieman

GorgieRules22
1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

A manager recently left a club up here (he’s back in employment) because one of his players wanted to announce he was gay...manager told him he wasn’t allowing it in a way that lead to the Player taking  it to the board, player remains at the club, manager as I said no longer there. This may give him and others the platform to announce their sexuality.

So a player from St Mirren would be my guess.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

As if this is real :rofl: telling people that there’s another meeting scheduled for the 14th :rofl: 

Hampden Demolition
9 minutes ago, Barack said:

Society will cope. Those ****ing morons who'll struggle with it & decide to use it as a device to dole out abuse to the player, & any subsequent player(s), should be treated & dealt with in the same manner we deal with racism.

:spoton:

Ridiculous that this in this day and age is such a big thing. A players sexuality is utterly irrelevant. It's sad that for so long players have had to mask this side of their lives, there must be a good number of gay players put there and their team mates will know, but won't effect how they get on and do their jobs

SpruceBringsteen
2 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

So you're telling us Lennon launched a chair at Kamberi because he pointed out his shoes and belt didn't co-ordinate?

:clyay:

GorgieRules22
Just now, Tynieman said:

It doesn't look real to me, the language used seems a bit off.

Why would it affect his place in the first time? Why would he wait to announce it in a press conference?

Either way, it's about time that people felt comfortable with their sexualitiy without any threat of abuse.

Agree with the poster who said homophobe should be treated the same as racism.

The truth is only the knuckle daggers will care. Good luck to the lad if truth.

Maybe he wants to make a statement by being the first gay player to come out, I suppose the same question could be asked as to why there’s a gay pride march to tell people their gay... society excepts it now so no need really.

Hampden Demolition

Spoke to Jim White (as much as he does talk a lot of shite) today. I think it is real and even if it’s not, it will be one day.

Hampden Demolition
Just now, SpruceBringsteen said:

So you're telling us Lennon launched a chair at Kamberi because he pointed out his shoes and belt didn't co-ordinate?

Was thinking the same 😂.

1 minute ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

I said no names..... and it wasn’t a chair!

9 minutes ago, GorgieRules22 said:

Maybe he wants to make a statement by being the first gay player to come out, I suppose the same question could be asked as to why there’s a gay pride march to tell people their gay... society excepts it now so no need really.

The only thing I'd say is that I don't think society necessarily accepts it fully. Gay people are still discriminated against and still persucuted in many countries. Plus, given the history that gay people have have been through, I think that the pride parade is still quite relevant.

Edited by Tynieman

Clearly, this shouldn't even be an issue. It shouldn't matter a jot what a person's sexuality is. But it's easy for heterosexuals like myself, where being straight has never been a crime, where I've never been subject to abuse just for being straight, to say that. 

But when you've got folk getting smacked about in public, in the UK, in the last month, purely because they fancy folk of the same sex, then yeah, clearly we still have a lot of work to do to make homosexuality acceptable across a wider range of society. 

Edited by Normthebarman

Brighton Jambo

I just hope that in ten years time when we look back threads like this (not in any way a dig at OP) will seem  ludicrous as it will be as normal for footballers to be gay as it is now in almost all other walks of life.

conn artist

Could not care less if a player was gay, straight, bi, etc etc etc. Furthest thing from my mind as long as they gave their all for the shirt. 

PhoenixHearts
9 minutes ago, GorgieRules22 said:

If you hadn't noticed, people still boycott, protest and bump their gums about gay pride marches taking place, so no, society hasn't really accepted it, has it?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
11 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

Spoke to Jim White (as much as he does talk a lot of shite) today. I think it is real and even if it’s not, it will be one day.

:lol:

what

Fair play to the lad if it’s genuine, ridiculous that there’s still such a stigma associated with it. 

Cruyff Turn

I think it is important that it becomes accepted, especially in British Football  and that if players are brave enough to come out then more power to them. 

Edited by Cruyff Turn

Phil Dunphy

Couldn’t care less about any players sexuality. But I’m not convinced that Twitter account is legitimate. 

Someone will come out at some point though. And more power to them for doing it. 

Mr Elwood P
32 minutes ago, Barack said:

Homosexuality? Yeah, it's definitely real.

Doesn't matter if it's been made up by an online troll or not, the subject is a valid topic. And it will happen sooner rather than later.

Rapinoe from the USA team, is testament to that. 

Is she the only openly gay female soccer player? Didn’t bother much with the Women’s World Cup but from the snippets I saw that would surprise me!

doctor jambo
1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Is she the only openly gay female soccer player? Didn’t bother much with the Women’s World Cup but from the snippets I saw that would surprise me!

There are lots, the England / GB hockey team similar.

Tennis plenty.

Their fans have managed to not lose their minds over it.

Same with rugby.

If male soccerball cannot cope then the fans need to really look at themselves first and foremost as to why football fans cannot behave themselves in a way commensurate with the year they live in, apart from those stuck in 1690

Bridge of Djoum
35 minutes ago, GorgieRules22 said:

Ummmm, that isn't the purpose of a gay pride event.

Pans Jambo

Just get on with it! Must be loads of gay men and women in football these days. 

The sooner this becomes main stream accepted the better. We can then weed out all the abusive homophobes who cant, or wont accept this. 

joondalupjambo

If a gay footballer is on a massive amount of wages and does not come out is he not open to bribery and could be asked to throw a match or get involved in a betting scam?  It is important in this day and age that people stand up and be counted.  If they do they will get fully supported by everyone that matter.  

Staying silent, is that not a more dangerous thing to do?  I get it is a dilemma but we are at a point in time when acceptance levels are high and also society in general has more on their plates to worry about than an issue like this.

SpruceBringsteen
44 minutes ago, sassenach said:

The problem I would have, if a Hearts player was to "come out", would be the inevitable media circus that would ensue.  I would prefer if the whole club was able to concentrate on the football.

Tbf we had Justin Fashanu play for us, and the only circus act that impacted us was his elephant like first touch.

1 hour ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

:rofl:

Maple Leaf
33 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

You can tell a person's sexuality by looking at them?  Interesting.

On a serious note though, I don’t care. There will be a big circus around this though. I am already bored of the story and I’ve only just read it. It’s up there with Royals having babies on the ‘give a ****o-meter for me’. 🙄

Not really interested in their personal life. I’m only really interested in how good a player Is and what he brings to us and what they do for the team. Says such a lot about society and the media that any of this is a big issue.

Edited by Deevers

40 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

there were 38 players at the womens world cup who are out, including two of the usa team who are engaged to each other

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, mscjambo said:

Ridiculous that this in this day and age is such a big thing. A players sexuality is utterly irrelevant. It's sad that for so long players have had to mask this side of their lives, there must be a good number of gay players put there and their team mates will know, but won't effect how they get on and do their jobs

Pretty much this

Unfortunately, the "nosy nells" think they have a right to know, when quite rightly no-one should give a ****.

They want a wee healine and go "oh look, XXX is a wee poof, lol"

Don't know why I would need to know a footballers sexual preferences but I suppose its the world we live in.

Nookie Bear

It will be a nightmare for that player though

Most people will just say “oh, ok”, shrug their shoulders and judge him on his footballing ability. But here will be a lot of people using it to launch “hilarious” chants and, almost as stressful, that player will be expected to be a spokesperson and role model for gay people everywhere.