Konrad von Carstein

Konrad von Carstein

We are moving house at the end of August from Edinburgh to Dunfermline, new house is a bit of a (huge) project and this is the first time I have moved house properly for almost 30 years.

Shamelessly looking for recommendations for a moving firm in the first instance and I guess as time goes by will be looking for local tradesmen recommendations too.

Any other tips  etc gratefully received.

Unknown user

Be wary, I found out that my brother paid 440 quid for a single person move from our mum's to a town 5 miles away. One ****ing journey, 5 miles!

I couldn't believe it when I found out, so I got in touch with a guy I knew who said he'd do it for 95, but they'd given their word and didn't want to go back on it, even though they were getting the pish ripped.

So aye, be wary, don't buy their "we're experts, everything's insured" bollocks to justify the costs - everyone's an expert at loading up a bloody van and house moves can be insured independently. 

Good luck, and don't forget your long spoon!

Dagger Is Back

Our Insurance Company used these guys. https://www.doreebonner.co.uk/

In the main they were OK in the first move to our rental house. During the second move they 'pointed out' a damaged TV unit before they moved it, I'm absolutely convinced that it hadn't been damaged previously. They didn't take a whole lot of care with blinds which we then found  had been damaged.

I guess you'll probably get a mixed bag or reviews across all the providers.

One thing and not teaching you to suck eggs. if you have time, have a clear out beforehand. No point transporting unnecessary clutter frorm one place to another

41 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

We are moving house at the end of August from Edinburgh to Dunfermline, new house is a bit of a (huge) project and this is the first time I have moved house properly for almost 30 years.

Shamelessly looking for recommendations for a moving firm in the first instance and I guess as time goes by will be looking for local tradesmen recommendations too.

Moved from Edinburgh to Kirkcaldy 3 and a bit years ago.  We used Flemings of Rosyth for the move.  Decent price and good, professional workers.  Get a few quotes though and see what you think.

Good luck!

I would do it yourself with the help of family and friends. Easy enough to hire a van from Arnold Clark (depending on when you passed your test you could get a fair sized truck) and if you hire it the night before, you can load the full thing up and take 2 journeys if possible! 

Don't do it yourself, you probably don't realise how much stuff you've got. It's an absolute killer. Get 3 or 4 firms to quote you and take it from there, pay the money that it takes. In the grand scheme of it, it's buttons compared to the rest of your moving costs.

Harry Potter
25 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Hire a van and get a few junkies to do the heavy lifting. 

Deffo hire a van, forget the 2nd bit lol.

Shanks said no

We moved 5 years ago, took a short term let at Big Y. And moved a lot of the inessential stuff into it in advance. Then hired a van for the move and took the essential stuff on the day of the move. Made it less stressful. 

Then gradually cleared Big Y.

18 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

We moved 5 years ago, took a short term let at Big Y. And moved a lot of the inessential stuff into it in advance. Then hired a van for the move and took the essential stuff on the day of the move. Made it less stressful. 

Then gradually cleared Big Y.

Done this with my last move as the build was delayed and my lease ran out after giving notice to leave. I wouldn't do it through choice though as you're essentially moving it all twice. It would be much smarter to have keys to your new house for a week before you have to leave your current one.

Shanks said no
5 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Done this with my last move as the build was delayed and my lease ran out after giving notice to leave. I wouldn't do it through choice though as you're essentially moving it all twice. It would be much smarter to have keys to your new house for a week before you have to leave your current one.

I had little choice, we moved in on Friday 13th and were flying to Mexico on the 14th! 

On on top of that, we sold the original house on the day my dad died.

Who says moving is not stressful.

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

Armageddon

First move we done ourselves, it was a pain in the hoop.  If you have the cash get a firm in, our last move they dropped boxes/crates off and we packed them up over the week, they came in a dismantled the beds, packed everything in the truck, delivered the boxes/crates to each room marked on the boxes and re-built the beds, during that time me and the Mrs went for breakfast and a walk along Cramond, they phoned when they were finished and we headed to our new place feeling stress free!

We used Guardian Removals from Broxburn

Legend Claws
2 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

These guys are brilliant - https://www.mintboxremovals.co.uk/ ex Marine logistics guy has set it up, serious pride in everything they do.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, jambo89 said:

I would do it yourself with the help of family and friends. Easy enough to hire a van from Arnold Clark (depending on when you passed your test you could get a fair sized truck) and if you hire it the night before, you can load the full thing up and take 2 journeys if possible! 

Good advice.

8 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Shamelessly looking for recommendations for a moving firm in the first instance. 

Moving isn't anywhere near as easy as people think. If you can afford it, get a removal company in and it'd be done in a couple of days, or even better, get  the removal company to do the full packing service for you. 

I'd recommend Guardian Removals but there are plenty of firms who would give a quote. 

Konrad von Carstein

Thanks all..I've sent 4 requests for quotations to removal firms this evening most of which were mentioned on this thread!

• 2 months later...
On 08/07/2019 at 20:26, Konrad von Carstein said:

Thanks all..I've sent 4 requests for quotations to removal firms this evening most of which were mentioned on this thread!

Sorry about the bump.

Thinking about moving and can't be arsed doing it myself or with help from friends.

How much did you roughly pay?

I don't have much stuff.  Normal amount I would say.

I do have a large fish tank though.

And a dodgy back.

Konrad von Carstein

We used Flemings of Rosyth, they and another Fife firm were circa £250 cheaper than Edinburgh based ones.

Cost £540.

Great service!

1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

We used Flemings of Rosyth, they and another Fife firm were circa £250 cheaper than Edinburgh based ones.

Cost £540.

Great service!

Told ye!

Glad your move went well.

3 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Sorry about the bump.

Thinking about moving and can't be arsed doing it myself or with help from friends.

How much did you roughly pay?

I don't have much stuff.  Normal amount I would say.

I do have a large fish tank though.

And a dodgy back.

I used these guys mate...top notch.....cant remember how much it was though

They can package and box stuff for you as well...or you box it and they lift it....they took my stuff and stored it for me for a few weeks then delivered to the new house

http://www.djmanning.co.uk/

luckyBatistuta
On 08/07/2019 at 11:57, Boris said:

Moved from Edinburgh to Kirkcaldy 3 and a bit years ago.  We used Flemings of Rosyth for the move.  Decent price and good, professional workers.  Get a few quotes though and see what you think.

Good luck!

10 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Cost £540.

Great service!

Just had a quote for moving house and nearly fainted when he said how much. He told me I’d need all 4 of his Luton vans for the whole day and would charge by the hour. He’s already moved 3 family members in the past and is great at the job, but boy have his prices shot up. How many vans(size) did you need?

17 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Just had a quote for moving house and nearly fainted when he said how much. He told me I’d need all 4 of his Luton vans for the whole day and would charge by the hour. He’s already moved 3 family members in the past and is great at the job, but boy have his prices shot up. How many vans(size) did you need?

Ours was like a lorry, Not like the big arctics but bigger than a Luton.

Edited by Boris

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Boris said:

He says he wants to use 4 Luton’s as he doesn’t want anything damaged, plus I really don’t like paying anyone by the hour. Been there before and had them drag it out. It’s also an hourly rate and I’m going to need a bloody mortgage at that rate. He says it’s expensive because there is 5 guys in total and I’m using up all 4 of his vans for a day.

TwigTheWonderKid

We are moving next Friday and we hired Blackhall to move us plus a storage unit at Ballgreen we hire. I haven't been well of late so we hired them to pack and box our belongings too, they came back with a pretty fair price. In some cases £200 less than other companies quoted us. They are doing it over two days as well which makes things a bit easier come Friday.

A quick question however. My partner was putting a to do list together and announced 1. She needs to Hoover and iron the curtains & 2. Move the washing machine to clean in behind it (the washing machine isn't coming)

She's lost it eh????  This is the third house I bought and moved into and haven't even thought of these things. 

Is this a thing? 

Edited by TwigTheWonderKid

The Real Maroonblood
13 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Crikey you must have some stuff to move.

I hired one Luton van.

I was downsizing so I did get rid of a lot off stuff.

13 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

You didn't opt for that one, did you?

200.webp?cid=790b76115480c2719b8c9e304d5

luckyBatistuta
16 hours ago, Boris said:

3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Crikey you must have some stuff to move.

I hired one Luton van.

I was downsizing so I did get rid of a lot off stuff.

He says that these companies that have the big lorries just play a big game of Tetris and pile stuff on top of each other and he doesn’t want to do that, as that’s how stuff gets damaged. 

2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

You didn't opt for that one, did you?

200.webp?cid=790b76115480c2719b8c9e304d5

That picture is not appearing bud🤷🏼‍♂️

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

He says that these companies that have the big lorries just play a big game of Tetris and pile stuff on top of each other and he doesn’t want to do that, as that’s how stuff gets damaged. 

Good luck whatever you decide.

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Good luck whatever you decide.

I’m now searching around for quotes. Going to try that Flemings one and the others mentioned, but not sure they will do the east side of Edinburgh to the south side. 

On 08/07/2019 at 13:45, Armageddon said:

they came in a dismantled the beds, packed everything in the truck, delivered the boxes/crates to each room marked on the boxes and re-built the beds, during that time me and the Mrs went for breakfast and a walk along Cramond, they phoned when they were finished and we headed to our new place feeling stress free!

We used Guardian Removals from Broxburn

Thats what this company does too, they are good. It’s just the price is way over what I expected, way, way over what Konrad paid. Will give this lot a try. 

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I’m now searching around for quotes. Going to try that Flemings one and the others mentioned, but not sure they will do the east side of Edinburgh to the south side. 

Thats what this company does too, they are good. It’s just the price is way over what I expected, way, way over what Konrad paid. Will give this lot a try. 

Kerr’s on Lanark Road appear to have a good reputation but  don’t know the cost.

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Kerr’s on Lanark Road appear to have a good reputation but  don’t know the cost.

Will have a look 👍

5 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

That's nonsense. Whether it's a Luton van or a lorry, the load is built the same way. 

Strong bulk items at the bottom like chest of drawers or tables then blanketed for protection, boxes next then small light items up top. 

By using Luton vans the load will be built the same way but less room from the front to the back doors, assuming they use the low floor lutons like the Peugeot Maxi-mover - if they're using a normal Luton which is loaded from waist height that's just plain stupid.

luckyBatistuta
7 minutes ago, Col1874 said:

That's nonsense. Whether it's a Luton van or a lorry, the load is built the same way. 

Strong bulk items at the bottom like chest of drawers or tables then blanketed for protection, boxes next then small light items up top. 

By using Luton vans the load will be built the same way but less room from the front to the back doors, assuming they use the low floor lutons like the Peugeot Maxi-mover - if they're using a normal Luton which is loaded from waist height that's just plain stupid.

Exactly the thought going through my head when the words came out his mouth. I’ve now got four removal firms coming over next week to give me a quote. I definitely won’t be going with doreebonner that Dagger posted, think they were giving me a quote to buy my furniture, not move it🙀

• 2 weeks later...

Been quoted £100 from Anyvan but it seems a bit low?

As I said, I don't have much stuff.  It would 100% fit in a Luton with tons to spare.

I'm planning on moving boxes and stuff myself.

It's mainly a sofa, large fish tank and bed.

Probably half days work for a 2 man team tbh.

Edited by Lovecraft

The Real Maroonblood
7 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

As I said, I don't have much stuff.  It would 100% fit in a Luton with tons to spare.

That’s a good deal.

7 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Good price, enjoy your new gaff.

Yeah.  I just think it seems too cheap.

Reading their reviews it appears they just "sub-contract" the work out and its pot luck who you get on the day.

I think it sounds like Uber for removals tbh.

I'm gonna get a few other quotes.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Lovecraft said:

Yeah.  I just think it seems too cheap.

Reading their reviews it appears they just "sub-contract" the work out and its pot luck who you get on the day.

I think it sounds like Uber for removals tbh.

I'm gonna get a few other quotes.

I hired a Luton van from Arnold Clark.

Sorry can’t remember the cost but it wasn’t too expensive.

It’s all about what each individual can afford.

Good luck.

Moved stuff in my younger days myself with a self-hire van. 

Now, a few years on, I wouldn't dream of doing it myself. 

In the younger days, I wasn't carting L-shaped sofas about, huge dining tables, freezers, fridges, etc. I recently moved south of the border and was more than happy to take someone up to pack and move for me. Totally stress free! 

I've always found there is room for negociation in the quotes given too ;) 

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, cuthy2k said:

Moved stuff in my younger days myself with a self-hire van. 

Now, a few years on, I wouldn't dream of doing it myself. 

In the younger days, I wasn't carting L-shaped sofas about, huge dining tables, freezers, fridges, etc. I recently moved south of the border and was more than happy to take someone up to pack and move for me. Totally stress free! 

I've always found there is room for negociation in the quotes given too ;) 

I’m no spring chicken but when I moved last year I had hardly any large items.

We were basically staring from scratch.

4 hours ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

My two removal quotes are £1600 and £650!

Anybody used Britannia Movers of Edinburgh?

Big gap in quotes - who were these quotes from and did they send someone out to see the job in person to assess the actual volume? 

I got another quote and it was £390 + an extra 40 for insurance.

Surely the whole point of getting other people to move your stuff is so it doesn't get damaged and the insurance should already be included in the price?

****ing chancers.    

I'm now starting to thinking about hiring a van for 3 days for £100 and move stuff gradually myself.  As I said, I don't even have that much stuff.

A tv, bed, large sofa, couple of tables and a fish tank.  Thats it.

Don't think I can trust the quote from Anyvan.  The reviews seem pretty dodgy to me.

5 hours ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

My two removal quotes are £1600 and £650!

Anybody used Britannia Movers of Edinburgh?

Do you live in a castle?

mrmarkus1981

I don't 😂 it's a 3 bed end terrace. Both companies said theres not much to move so I don't see why one is thrice the price

Edited by mrmarkus1981