£1mil

pobster22

Inch Hearts

Does that go along with paying wages of a £1m player ****ing the rest of the squad off?

No chance. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

Does it matter?

Besides, having Beslija remaining our record transfer fee still amuses me.

10 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Will JKB soon be in a position to cancel inane initial postings?

Why ??? This is a forum. 

I often wonder when the stand is finished and AB is paid off... what actual cash will we have for the playing squad

19 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Does it matter?

I’m pretty sure we more than surpassed the Beslija fee when we bought Pinilla outright. The fee was never made public but I’d bet diamonds it was more than £850,000. He was joint owned by Inter Milan and Sporting Lisbon at the time iirc.

lost in space
10 minutes ago, pobster22 said:

Why ??? This is a forum. 

I often wonder when the stand is finished and AB is paid off... what actual cash will we have for the playing squad

Yes, it is a forum - but surely not for opening posts like yours. Have you really thought this through?

What does a high value transfer cost in wages?

What are risk factors in paying large transfer fees (as a percentage of income)?

3 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I’m pretty sure we more than surpassed the Beslija fee when we bought Pinilla outright. The fee was never made public but I’d bet diamonds it was more than £850,000. He was joint owned by Inter Milan and Sporting Lisbon at the time iirc.

900k according to transfermarkt, you may be correct. 

hughesie27

£1million players are a bit of a risk. Would only be a proven player who had been on loan. Like Fuller or Rudi.

jamtartan74

Aye, and we will also be building a hotel on the plaza and opening a Tesco where the old school is, money is no object now, we are loaded. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Is Paul Bernard still the only player bought for £1m+ by a non-OF club? Still very embarrassing for Aberdeen that.

Unless it's up to a couple of hundred thousand for a promising youngster, we won't see big transfer fees outwith the OF for a long time, if ever again. That's why the 350k or whatever Hibs paid for a 27 year old League Two player was so surprising.

Hard to imagine now, but we fairly regularly paid 200 grand upwards (up to the 750 grand for Derek Ferguson??) for players in the late 80s-mid/late 90s, until the Bosman rule really kicked in basically. Picked up some cracking players mind you like Niemi, McCann, McKinlay, Cameron, Ferguson, McPherson, Kevin McKenna. Also Brian Hamilton and Gordon Petric though. Mind you in those days you could also be quite confident of getting fees for your best players to offset what you pay out. Now, it's too risky to spend money on a fee, better to put it into wages for a really good player.

Edited by ToqueJambo

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Is Paul Bernard still the only player bought for £1m+ by a non-OF club? Still very embarrassing for Aberdeen that.

Unless it's up to a couple of hundred thousand for a promising youngster, we won't see big transfer fees outwith the OF for a long time, if ever again. That's why the 350k or whatever Hibs paid for a 27 year old League Two player was so surprising.

Hard to imagine now, but we fairly regularly paid 200 grand upwards (up to the 750 grand for Derek Ferguson??) for players in the late 80s-mid/late 90s, until the Bosman rule really kicked in basically. Picked up some cracking players mind you like Niemi, McCann, McKinlay, Cameron, Ferguson, McPherson, Kevin McKenna. Also Brian Hamilton and Gordon Petric though.

Paul Bernard is still the only non OF £1m+ transfer paid in Scotland. A Hearts supporter as well I believe. 

Mr Elwood P
17 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Hard to imagine now, but we fairly regularly paid 200 grand upwards (up to the 750 grand for Derek Ferguson??) for players in the late 80s-mid/late 90s, until the Bosman rule really kicked in basically. Picked up some cracking players mind you like Niemi, McCann, McKinlay, Cameron, Ferguson, McPherson, Kevin McKenna. Also Brian Hamilton and Gordon Petric though. Mind you in those days you could also be quite confident of getting fees for your best players to offset what you pay out. Now, it's too risky to spend money on a fee, better to put it into wages for a really good player.

If ourselves or Aberdeen get anything like £5-10m for Souttar and McKenna respectively I'd like to think a £1m player would be possible. Rangers have been spending £1-3m on all kinds of duds. Celtic seem to be slightly more successful. It is very hard to compete in that environment. I do think the money from English football will filter into the Scottish game and start to change it.

Edited by Mr Elwood P

Mr Elwood P
29 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

£1million players are a bit of a risk. Would only be a proven player who had been on loan. Like Fuller or Rudi.

What would Ricardo Fuller be worth now?

47 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

We bought the Sporting Lisbon part of his registration and part owned him with Inter i'm sure. I think we were looking to take their portion when his contract expired with them. Wouldn't surprise me if we paid more than £850k to Sporting though

Always found this dual ownership of a player nonsense very strange. Eto'o had a similar thing earlier in his career

1 hour ago, pobster22 said:

Will we soon be in a position to spend more than £1m on a transfer fee?

Very much doubt it unless the player was Willing to earn around 7k a week wages

1 hour ago, To Be Frank said:

giphy.gif

A gif that says so much and never gets old. :lol:

WheatfieldWarrior
1 hour ago, pobster22 said:

There would need to be a reason to pay that for a player, such as a being involved in a tournament that had sufficient prize money to make it worthwhile, or a TV commercial (TV) or other deal if the player is the finished article.

Speculating on 4 or 5 £1M players, with the hope that they go for more is too big a risk.

For the foreseeable future.

Some very harsh responses to the OP here. The answer is no atm but yes if we sold someone like a Souttar. However buying a player like that would break our wage structure so it would seem extremely unlikely. Interesting question is how much per week would a £1m player expect, guessing at £10k.

Finlay James

It will be a possibility in 2-3 years time.  A lot will also depend going forward on the development of players from the academy.

Captain Canada

We could be in theory but even if Souttar went for £5 million, I think the money would go on a variety of things such as the stadium, academy, wages etc. rather than a big transfer fee. 

There are no guarantees with any expensive player as we've found out to our cost in the past, so I would imagine it's highly unlikely. One player costing a million or more still wouldn't help us win the league or get to the Europa League group stages so it would be a poor investment in isolation. 

Edited by Captain Canada

8 hours ago, lost in space said:

You better hope not.

Phil D. Corners

1 million pound players get paid 1 million pound player wages. 

Not saying it won’t happen, but I think it will be most likely after we start selling youth players for 7 figures. 

Leveins Battalion

If we had £1 million spare we would prob spend it on extra stewards,the womans team and retro painting the bog walls.Investing in the team is that last thing we would do.

2 minutes ago, jambotony said:

We almost did for Robbie Winters think he chose Aberdeen 

And Lee McCulloch when he was at Motherwell.

Scotland must be one of the few countries where the amount of money spent by clubs on transfers fees has reduced in the last couple of decades.

8 hours ago, lost in space said:

The guy only asked a question ffs.

Randy Marsh
1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

And Lee McCulloch when he was at Motherwell.

Scotland must be one of the few countries where the amount of money spent by clubs on transfers fees has reduced in the last couple of decades.

Very true this.  Spending just 200k on a player today seems a lot for us.  It didn't 20 years ago.

grumpyespana

You would not get much for a million pound player now days we are better shopping in the free market as your more chance of getting a player of that value for nothing.

Say What Again
8 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

What would Ricardo Fuller be worth now?

Probably not much. He's 40 in a couple of months time.

?

Edited by Say What Again

The only way I could see it happening would be if we regularly started getting 7/8 figures for our academy graduates. Personally think we’d be more likely to use the money on wages & infrastructure than a fee, a 1m player won’t get us anywhere near Celtic unless they turned out to be an absolute superstar, so essentially the same situation as any player we bring in but with a higher risk

10 hours ago, pobster22 said:

Women's team yes. Us, nope.

A £1M player will come with £1M player wages I cant see it unless there was a massive cash injection. 

Beslija wasnt exactly worth the 750k we payed for him its a big risk. At least with CL horrifc gambles lately we havent wasted big transfer fees on them. 

It's not impossible purely based on the way football is going. 1m is chicken feed these days.

Our TV deal is slowly getting better. It's crap by comparison but it is getting better.

Our own income is increasing significantly. 

There could well be a time in the future where we spend 1m and it doesn't impact heavily on our finances. It's not going to be in the very near future but I can definitely see it happening.

Calebs Grandad

I think it’s possible if we identified a player we believed was worth a fair bit more than £1m and we could sell on eventually for a decent profit. At present I don’t believe we would spend that much but bit further down the line? 

11 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Posted this on the wrong forum by any chance?

My first thought.

Paying a million for a player would get us the same level of player we are getting now, we’d just get them a year earlier than we can just now. £1million on a player is nothing these days and for the risk that comes with it we are better off doing what we are doing now, waiting on contracts to run down etc. 

We probably could commit to a capital spend of £1million on a player. The problem is that it's committing a large amount of resource to one individual of whom there are various risk factors that could mean that the money would be wasted.

What if the player doesn't settle? What if they suffer a career ending or limiting injury? What if they don't fit into the squad?

Then there is as others have mentioned, the fact that the player will quite rightly, ask for an equivalent salary to sign. So the overall cost over the term of the contract becomes huge.

Aberdeen for example were negatively exposed to all of this with the signing of Paul Bernard from Oldham in the 90s.

Gigolo-Aunt

If the contacts are right we should be able to use the Bosman market to bring a higher quality of player in on higher wages, rather than spending 1 million on a player.

Hectormasson
11 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Does it matter?

Beslija !! Total wage thief "terrible signing...

Cruyff Turn

I think we’d have to be in a very healthy self sustainable position where we are producing players good enough to sell for £3million quid a pop every season and where we have amassed a healthy amount of cash from these sales where £1million would not be a big amount to us.

Which is a long way off i’d Imagine.