Mr Elwood P

Mr Elwood P

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-souttar-insists-former-hearts-17483039

Interesting article giving an insight into the positive impact Neilson had on Souttar's career. The moral of the tale is be careful what you wish for. Neilson leaving was very much like Lafferty leaving in that all parties involved ended up in a worse position. 

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Enzo Chiefo

• Mr Elwood P

• Inch Hearts

If they manage to beat us on Friday, I don’t think it could get much more embarrassing for levein. 

AlphonseCapone
2 minutes ago, greggy123 said:

If they manage to beat us on Friday, I don’t think it could get much more embarrassing for levein. 

What are you talking about? 

Selkirkhmfc1874
6 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-souttar-insists-former-hearts-17483039

Interesting article giving an insight into the positive impact Neilson had on Souttar's career. The moral of the tale is be careful what you wish for. Neilson leaving was very much like Lafferty leaving in that all parties involved ended up in a worse position. 

Think the big mistake we made when robbie left was appointing somebody who never had been head coach before! When robbie left we should've appointed experienced proven manager in my opinion 

6 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

What are you talking about? 

We play united on Friday, who Neilson now manages. If he manages to beat us with a championship team I don't think it could get  much worse for levein. 

maroonsgotop
31 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Think the big mistake we made when robbie left was appointing somebody who never had been head coach before! When robbie left we should've appointed experienced proven manager in my opinion 

We took a gamble. The gamble failed. Mind you Cathro seems to be doing a good job at Wolves albeit not as the Head Coach 

Edited by maroonsgotop

Its actually a really good article considering the rag which published it.

I don't want to sound negative, but it frustrates me no end quote like this - “He was big on the importance of the gym and that was ideal for me.” Walker had a similar one when he was 20ish about recognising how important diet is (something about still eating sweets all the time).

YOU'RE A PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE GO TO THE ****ING GYM AND EAT RIGHT!!!!!!

I'm not directing that ire at Souttar or Walker, its the education they're receiving and its clearly not been good enough. Perhaps someone who has a keen interest in the youth teams might be able to confirm if the lads are getting a better education on what I would consider professionalism now? (since walker came through pre Levein and Soapy at Utd).

I remember folk making comments about the difference in size (muscle build) between our lads and Man City/ Evertons during the friendlies. Again, they might have better, more skillful players but physicality is something which is completely within our control and not something any of our lads should allow themselves to be second best in. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
24 minutes ago, greggy123 said:

We play united on Friday, who Neilson now manages. If he manages to beat us with a championship team I don't think it could get  much worse for levein. 

Levein didn't want Neilson to go.

Levein managing now is a result of Neilson jumping due to the hump, of ridiculous criticism. 

The embarrassment would therefore be with those who didn't rate Neilson which Levein clearly did 

Central Belt 1874
4 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

We took a gamble. The gamble failed. Mind you Cathro seems to be doing a good job at Wolves albeit not as the Head Coach 

It was a stupid gamble, and one that the club did not need to make. Neilson, along with Levein, at that point had built a solid foundation on which to build upon. 

Instead we went down the cheap option, both in the dugout and on the pitch, and we have two 6th place finishes and 6 months of dreadful performances to show for it.

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

I don't want to sound negative, but it frustrates me no end quote like this - “He was big on the importance of the gym and that was ideal for me.” Walker had a similar one when he was 20ish about recognising how important diet is (something about still eating sweets all the time).

I'm not directing that ire at Souttar or Walker, its the education they're receiving and its clearly not been good enough. Perhaps someone who has a keen interest in the youth teams might be able to confirm if the lads are getting a better education on what I would consider professionalism now? (since walker came through pre Levein and Soapy at Utd).

I remember folk making comments about the difference in size (muscle build) between our lads and Man City/ Evertons during the friendlies. Again, they might have better, more skillful players but physicality is something which is completely within our control and not something any of our lads should allow themselves to be second best in. 

i would imagine things have changed. there was an article a year or two ago about ryan fraser and how eddie howe told him to sort his diet out and train better. at that time fraser could not cook and was living off pizza and nandos, look at what that change has done to his career

46 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Virtually every Hearts fan praised the decsion to bravely appoint Cathro. If it had paid off it would have emphasised skill over strength. Unfortunately Cathro seems to have lacked the personality to inspire. A lot of hindsight being shown by those that supposedly knew better.

Edited by tcjambo

Mr Elwood P
8 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Levein managing now is a result of Neilson jumping due to the hump, of ridiculous criticism. 

The embarrassment would therefore be with those who didn't rate Neilson which Levein clearly did 

Exactly.

49 minutes ago, greggy123 said:

:rofl:

This place.

45 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Totally 100% 

Central Belt 1874
Just now, tcjambo said:

Virtually every Hearts fan praised the decsion to bravely appoint Cathro. If it had paid off it would have emphasised skill over strength. Unfortunately Cathro seems to have lackedthe personality to inspire. A lot of hindsight being shown by those that supposedly knew better.

What a load of shite. The fans had no option but to support a decision they had no say on. The majority of people will look for the positives in the decisions their club make.

It was a very poor choice, the footballing community thought it was a poor choice, and it turned out to be a poor choice. 

Enzo Chiefo
12 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Can we nail this myth that Neilson left because of fans protests. Only Neilson knows why he decided to go and he's not going to reveal that publicly. Perhaps he felt there was interference from above or he had taken us as far as he could, or he was worried he wouldn't get another chance to manage in England. If he left because of a plane flying over the ground then he obviously wasn't mentally tough enough for the job anyway.

Edited by Enzo Chiefo

Just now, Central Belt 1874 said:

What a load of shite. The fans had no option but to support a decision they had no say on. The majority of people will look for the positives in the decisions their club make.

It was a very poor choice, the footballing community thought it was a poor choice, and it turned out to be a poor choice. 

Tons of Hearts fans  saw it as a great decision. Personally I am happy that we showed a bit of innovation even if it failed. So it's you that is talking shite.

highlandjambo3
5 minutes ago, OTT said:

Agree in principle but, as a wee ginger nation of Jocks, we tend to (generally) be on the shorter side of our counterparts world wide (apart from the odd Amazon tribe) so, I’m not saying our lads can’t bulk up a bit in the gym but it’s limited, there is only so much iron bru one can drink.  Did you see our wimmin at the World Cup.... small but scary no? 

Seriously though, most of our Scottish lads are slight and generally, our non Scottish lads seem to be bigger, the Berra’s, Patterson’s & Souttar’s are a rare commodity and don’t come along to often.

p.s.  nothing against ginger or short arses so don’t have a go.... bit tongue in cheek reply tbh.

14 minutes ago, OTT said:

I suspect it’s something that has come about since Levein took over again, and the academy is no longer being neglected. School at Balerno, then academy with the coaches and sport scientists. It’s one of the things I’m happy and confident in at Hearts.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Can we nail this myth that Neilson left because of fans protests. Only Neilson knows why he decided to go and he's not going to reveal that publicly. Perhaps he felt there was interference from above or he had taken us as far as he could, or he was worried he wouldn't get another chance to manage in England. If he left because of a plane flying over the ground then he obviously wasn't mentally tough enough for the job anyway.

Total ballocks 

4 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Tons of Hearts fans  saw it as a great decision. Personally I am happy that we showed a bit of innovation even if it failed. So it's you that is talking shite.

There were plenty Hearts fans who thought/hoped it was good decision, but also would have stuck with Robbie. There was an element of our support at the time however, who took that out of everyone’s hands with their idiotic stunts. Arseholes.

It’s the cup derby that did it. That’s what sealed Robbie’s fate.

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

16 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

How do you know this? Do you know why Neilson left?

Tom Hardy’s Dug
5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

He couldn’t have been more complimentary of Levein after he left and the support he gave him (and needed)

Towards the end his time at the club he was continually called a shitebag (quote) by fans, had a plane protest about him during a game and had various posters and bed sheets calling him out as shite in and around a Gorgie.

Which of the two - management or fans - do you think pissed him off more?

4 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

There were plenty Hearts fans who thought/hoped it was good decision, but also would have stick with Robbie. There was an element of our support at the time however, who took that out of everyone’s hands with their idiotic stunts. Arseholes.

I thnk a lot of the people now saying he should never have left were those calling for his head at that time.

I get annoyed when when foamers come on here equating hindsight with insight.

Edited by tcjambo

Inch Hearts
20 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Neilson left because he wanted to.  Levein replaced Neilson with the shambles that was Cathro and if he can’t put out a side to win on Friday it was being embarrassing in the extreme. It’s abojt time the fans stopped getting the blame, they pay the wages of management and players to make the decisions off the pitch and perform on it. 

Levein managing now is mainly because of managing to appoint a contempt manager to work under Levein.  

Edited by Inch Hearts

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, wavydavy said:

How do you know this? Do you know why Neilson left?

Burchill one of his buddies revealed it on midweek Sportsound. 

Really isn't a secret. The Hibs defeat and the European exit basically meant any loss these games were brought up rather than all the good work he did.

Many people warned be careful what you wish for. 

1 hour ago, greggy123 said:

It's still effectively pre season. So no. 

Losing to Dundee United just means need a bit of good fortune to qualify as runner up in group. 

Just now, tcjambo said:

I thnk a lot of the people now saying he shoudl never have left were those calling for his heat at that time.

I get annoyed when when foamers come on here equating hindsight with insight.

That would annoy me too. It was ludicrous to want rid of him at that time. I wanted him to stay, but I also thought Cathro would be a good appointment, I was obviously wrong on the second one, in hindsight.

Enzo Chiefo
1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

He couldn’t have been more complimentary of Levein after he left and the support he gave him (and needed)

Towards the end his time at the club he was continually called a shitebag (quote) by fans, had a plane protest about him during a game and had various posters and bed sheets calling him out as shite in and around a Gorgie.

Which of the two - management or fans - do you think pissed him off more?

I honestly don't know. Ask Robbie Neilson. 

1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

Neilson left because he wanted to.  Levein replaced Neilson with the shambles that was Cathro and if he can’t put out a side to win on Friday it was being embarrassing in the extreme. It’s abojt time the fans stopped getting the blame, they pay the wages of management and players to make the decisions off the pitch and perform on it. 

It's still pre season.

No way is it embarrassing to lose what is effectively still a pre season game. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

Not all fans get the blame. Only the ignorant people 

2 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Total denial. He was chased out by a vocal minority of total simpletons.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
4 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Levein managing now is mainly because of managing to appoint a contempt manager to work under Levein.  

The appointment of Cathro was almost unanimously backed on JKB. In fact we were practically pissing ourselves with excitement.

Yes it was a disaster but I think at the time of appointment of Cathro was the last time the fans were vaguely unified.

Its very easy and cheap to now slaughter Levein for it when we were all behind it.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

It's still pre season.

It's not a pre season game on Friday! It's cup game and this where the results start to matter 

23 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Neilson left to progress his career. He didn't consider fans opinions. Never has aside from wanting the fans to share in success. 

Enzo Chiefo
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Burchill one of his buddies revealed it on midweek Sportsound. 

Really isn't a secret. The Hibs defeat and the European exit basically meant any loss these games were brought up rather than all the good work he did.

Many people warned be careful what you wish for. 

Aye right. 

Inch Hearts
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

It's still pre season.

Losing to a lower league time is embarrassing.  Not that hearts will lose on Friday.  

2 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Rubbish. You think Robbie Neilson cared about a few people just having an opinion. Which is pretty normal thing at every football club. 

13 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Your post is nearly 100% conjecture. The only truth in it is that ‘only Neilson knows why he decided to go’. Why make up all the other stuff? 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Aye right. 

Ok it never happened. If that makes you feel better and incapable of facing a truth you just don't fancy. 

Inch Hearts
3 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

The appointment of Cathro was almost unanimously backed on JKB. In fact we were practically pissing ourselves with excitement.

Yes it was a disaster but I think at the time of appointment of Cathro was the last time the fans were vaguely unified.

Its very easy and cheap to now slaughter Levein for it when we were all behind it.

It doesn’t matter a jot if a managerial appointment is praised or not on a football discussion board, the club appointing Cathro based on whatever they saw was an utter disaster, it was their call - duck all to do with the support. 

Enzo Chiefo
3 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Jack Ross was chased out the door in a blaze of silence but Neilson left of his own accord.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Aye right. 

Burchill and Neilson are mates - it was noted that Burchill was constantly at Riccarton when Neilson was coach. 

19 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Virtually every Hearts fan praised the decsion to bravely appoint Cathro. If it had paid off it would have emphasised skill over strength. Unfortunately Cathro seems to have lacked the personality to inspire. A lot of hindsight being shown by those that supposedly knew better.

90% support on the poll on here if I remember correctly. There were a few notable posters who questioned it and turned out to be right, but there weren’t many of them. Lots of hindsight geniuses now though. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Rubbish. You think Robbie Neilson cared about a few people just having an opinion. Which is pretty normal thing at every football club. 

Burchill went on national radio to say it and it appears in this article Souttar believes it to be the case. 

Perception too high

Tom Hardy’s Dug
3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Jack Ross was chased out the door in a blaze of silence but Neilson left of his own accord.

Sometimes employees who **** about at work have to leave and because of circumstances there has to be silence.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Inch Hearts
5 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I’m sure Neilson has thick enough skin to be driven out of a football club.  He also said many times after he didn’t regret leaving and left to further his career. The denial is saying he was hounded out them blaming the support for the utter shite that’s happened since he left. 

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Fans flew a plane over the stadium with negative message about him. That’s not normal even handed criticism.