Edinburgh Fringe 2019

Captain Sausage

Captain Sausage

I’m up August 9-10 and looking to catch some decent shows. Comedy preferably, with a couple of ‘other’ things - burlesque or a decent dance/song act. 

Any advice from people who have got a bit more experience of the fringe or have managed to wade through the utter shite that is the Fringe website?

In terms of shows, last year we saw Sara Pascoe (meh), Nick Helm (the single worst show I’ve ever seen), Baby Wants Candy (quality), an a Capella group (surprisingly decent) and some show about feminism (rotten). 

Shanks said no

At last, for once I thought I wouldn't take the lead and was scouring the programme last night, getting nowhere.

All I know for sure is that Mrs Frenchman will not go to the Illicit Thrill this year. I just made it home last year with my testicles in tact, not chancing it again.

thehibsareintheirbeds

In the same boat, will go and see a few of the same comedians we usually do but really enjoy finding something a bit different but can be really hit and miss. Had a a look at a few of those mentioned so far and think the mrs will love that baby wants candy; illicit thrill maybe not so much :clyay:

frankblack

Last year I saw Mogwai twice at Leith Theatre and that was it.

This year I have Madness and Ash booked but not sure they count.  I also have The Cure and Foo Fighters before Madness but thats Glasgow.

Might pick a comedy show and go out for a piss up in town but nothing decided.

hughesie27

Forth on the fringe at playhouse on 9th 10th shows you a range if different acts. 10 or so minutes each. Few big name and few unknowns.

Im ging to see Ed Byrne and Abandoman.

Would also reccomend Grant Buse if you like musical comedy. He also happens to be a mate from Australia.

Sooperstar
8 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Forth on the fringe at playhouse on 9th 10th shows you a range if different acts. 10 or so minutes each. Few big name and few unknowns.

Im ging to see Ed Byrne and Abandoman.

Would also reccomend Grant Buse if you like musical comedy. He also happens to be a mate from Australia.

A mate! I told him you were my brother last year and he didn't have a clue who I was talking about!

hughesie27
1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

A mate! I told him you were my brother last year and he didn't have a clue who I was talking about!

He was trying to get rid of you.

3fingersreid

Raymond Mearns at the free fest in the beehive ?? Be brave and sit at the front?

Edited by 3fingersreid

Police Cops - They were brilliant last year - 

The Showhawk Duo  - Could be worth seeing, always entertain on their videos.   

Shanks said no

I know that fellow Jambo's like a freebie, so here's a link to applying for tickets at the BBC at Heriots. Even if the show you see isn't particularly your thing its interesting to see a tv or radio show being made.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/edinburgh_festival_2019

I apply for tickets every year and normally get at least 2 shows. So far this year I already have one set of tickets.

Liverpool comedian Adam Rowe last year. (random punt hadnt heard of him than he was 'up and coming') was decent.

I wasn't busting my guts laughing but he was entertaining and had a few good lines. Been on tv a bit this year so is well used to the circuit.

I'm not claiming he is the funniest guy ever but for £5 its a good deal knowing youre not getting anyone completely ****.

https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/adam-rowe-pinnacle

Shanks said no

Booked my first 9 shows, all new artists to me except Christine Bovill who has an amazing voice and is bringing a new show to the Fringe. I'll see a fair bit more but will arrange closer to the time.

Zoë Coombs Marr: Bossy Bottom

Jen Brister – Under Privilege

Hate 'n' Live

Spank!

Back to Black: The Music of Amy Winehouse

Laugh Till It Hurts: A BDSM Comedy Show

Rosie Jones: Backward

Christine Bovill: Tonight You Belong to Me

Diane Chorley: Down the Flick

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

On 06/07/2019 at 21:04, Captain Sausage said:

I’m up August 9-10 and looking to catch some decent shows. Comedy preferably, with a couple of ‘other’ things - burlesque or a decent dance/song act. 

Any advice from people who have got a bit more experience of the fringe or have managed to wade through the utter shite that is the Fringe website?

In terms of shows, last year we saw Sara Pascoe (meh), Nick Helm (the single worst show I’ve ever seen), Baby Wants Candy (quality), an a Capella group (surprisingly decent) and some show about feminism (rotten). 

This was excellent last year for something a little different. 

https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/art-of-believing-flamenco

I'm going to see Craig ferguson. At the playhouse on the 11th. Very much so looking forward to seeing him again. 

Shanks said no

Got a batch of free BBC show tickets through the random ballot at the weekend 

- Tim Vine

- Sara Cox

- Vic Galloway 

- 4 extra stand up

- Front Row

- Fresh from the Fringe

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/07/2019 at 18:26, Restonbabe said:

I'm going to see Craig ferguson. At the playhouse on the 11th. Very much so looking forward to seeing him again. 

Not seen him since he was Bing Hitler!

Got 4 shows booked:

LA Phil @ Tynecastle

Danny MacAskill's Drop and Roll @ Underbelly Circus Hub

Whose Line Is It Anyway @ Underbelly Bristo Square

Daniel Martinez Flamenco Co - Art of Believing @ TheSpace Triplex

Will probably try and catch one or two free comedy shows too.

5 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Danny MacAskill's Drop and Roll @ Underbelly Circus Hub

Taking my dad to see this next week. I’ve taken a few days off work so will book a few things in advance and do others spontaneously on the day. 

the general

Town is looking good..bars and venues popping up in every neuk and cranny

Obviously no problem with licensing at this time of year

Bung bung

Romanov Stole My Pension

Does anyone have any spares for the LA Philharmonic at Tynecastle?

I didn't apply for the free tickets until it was sold out, but there must be plenty kicking about!

25 minutes ago, Romanov Stole My Pension said:

I didn't apply for the free tickets until it was sold out, but there must be plenty kicking about!

I think I have one spare available for the pitch.

Edited by Ray Gin

On 07/07/2019 at 11:52, frankblack said:

Last year I saw Mogwai twice at Leith Theatre and that was it.

This year I have Madness and Ash booked but not sure they count.  I also have The Cure and Foo Fighters before Madness but thats Glasgow.

Might pick a comedy show and go out for a piss up in town but nothing decided.

One thing I've booked is tickets to see Nick Harper at the Jazz Bar. If you haven't heard of him, he's the son of folk musician Roy Harper and while his dad was touring he was taught to play guitar by one of his dad's mates.... Jimmy Page! 

This tour is tribute to his dad's old flat in Soho where a young Nick would see the like's of Paul Simon pitching up for a jam session

4 hours ago, Romanov Stole My Pension said:

I have 4 spares. PM me your email address and I will send them over.

4 hours ago, Ribble said:

One thing I've booked is tickets to see Nick Harper at the Jazz Bar. If you haven't heard of him, he's the son of folk musician Roy Harper and while his dad was touring he was taught to play guitar by one of his dad's mates.... Jimmy Page! 

This tour is tribute to his dad's old flat in Soho where a young Nick would see the like's of Paul Simon pitching up for a jam session

Not bad.  I am a big Zeppelin fan.  I know they did a Hats Off to Roy Harper song.

3fingersreid

Arthur Smith , decent

Al Murray , hilarious , well worth the money , but by **** the tent was hot 🤯🤯

Shanks said no

Zoë Coombs Marr: Bossy Bottom

OK I knew she drank from the furry cup but her whole show was one for ladies who like ladies. Majority of jokes were over my head, some of the females in the audience thought she was very funny.

Wish I had gone to Tynecastle

All roads lead to Gorgie

I went to see Milton Jones at the Assembly Hall today and he was really good. Corny jokes but hilarious. Just like he is on Mock the Week, a bit bonkers. 

Mrs Ogg and I saw Film Reads it’s honestly hilarious, the group re write movies, tonight was Jurassic Park. Well worth £6.50 a ticket

Rupert Pupkin
On 13/07/2019 at 13:58, jonnothejambo said:

Whose Line Is It Anyway at the Underbelly. Finishes on August 11th.

Two years ago it was excellent and I'm sure it will be this year too.

We saw it a couple of years ago also, was absolutely brilliant, plus Clive Anderson and Tony Slattery decided to stay drinking with us at the bar till they had to toss us all out.. 😂😂

Edited by Rupert Pupkin

4 hours ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

We saw it a couple of years ago also, was absolutely brilliant, plus Clive Anderson and Tony Slattery decided to stay drinking with us at the bar till they had to toss us all out.. 😂😂

I saw Tony Slattery at a random improv show last year. The years have not been kind. He was hammered, and looked every bit like a man who once had a 2 litres of vodka and 10 grams of coke a day habit.

Hope he sorts himself out, I see he's now completely broke and had a crowdfund thing for his show this year.

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

I saw Tony Slattery at a random improv show last year. The years have not been kind. He was hammered, and looked every bit like a man who once had a 2 litres of vodka and 10 grams of coke a day habit.

Hope he sorts himself out, I see he's now completely broke and had a crowdfund thing for his show this year.

Read this piece on him earlier this year. Very good.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/apr/29/tony-slattery-had-very-happy-time-went-slightly-barmy

Rupert Pupkin
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Yeah he didn’t look the best, but he did open up to us, and was brutally honest about his problems, he was also in top form and was very funny as was Clive. Couldn’t have asked for a better few hours after the show. 

Shanks said no

Last night took in three shows

Jen Brister – Under Privilege - a female comic from Brighton, talking about her sons. Good show.

Hate 'n' Live - politically incorrect impro show, put suggestions in the bucket of things you hate, unfortunately Hibs were not drawn. Another good late night show.

Spank! - very late night 3 hour stand up, starting at 2355. Decent mix of acts, some we liked and some we didn't. Sort of Britain's got talent standard. I was pretty wrecked by this point so maybe a tad unfair.

A couple for folks with young kids, Shark in the park at assembly,  kids between 3 and 8 will like it, a few jokes for the parents thrown in above the kids heads, you WILL leave with an annoying song stuck in your head !!!

Science magic at the three sisters, part of the free festival, for kids probably 3- 12 , Irish boy making science fun for kids, adults will enjoy too, get there early as with most free fest kids shows, the seats go fast.

• 2 weeks later...

Was at the Cirque Berserk last night wi the kids, loved it.

Going to see Mark Nelson on Friday then Craig Hill an Jimeoin on the 24th

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Stephen Buchanan is very good, on at the Cellar @ Pleasance. Think it was only £10/15 as well.

The Voldemort and Thrones parody musicals are great as well.

Trainspotting live is an experience.

War of Two Halves is a must; see separate thread(s) on it.

luckyBatistuta

Atomic Saloon...George Square

I haven’t been to this, but my sister in law says it is the funniest thing she’s ever seen. It is an adult circus comedy🤷🏼‍♂️

Anybody else been to see this?

Just back from watching the Showhawk Duo at Stramash. Went on Bigsmak's recommendation and the video he posted. They were F...ING BRILLIANT. Loved every minute. Place was bouncing

Was out for a few pints on Monday night just soaking up the atmosphere. Went into Frankensteins & caught half a show about David Bowie. A bloke talking & singing with another playing keyboards. Was interesting enough but the guy was a Wank. Type of bloke you would avoid a someones house party. Anyway, next act was the guy who does the voices that was in the final of BGT. Wasnt too bad. (Danny Posthill) Had a wee chuckle (although maybe that was 5 beers kicking in). I was chatting to a bloke sitting next to me for 5 minutes when I realised it was Bobby Davro from back in the day. Gid lad even bought me a pint. 

Edited by Pans Jambo

Saw a few duff shows today, but one really funny one, the only one i'd go see again Nigel Ng, Bunker2 at the Pleasance. 

On 08/07/2019 at 00:55, Bigsmak said:

Police Cops - They were brilliant last year - 

The Showhawk Duo  - Could be worth seeing, always entertain on their videos.   

Showhawk Duo are a must see.  Seen them every year for the last four years, cracking band live and great nostalgic  atmosphere at the gigs.

On 14/08/2019 at 09:09, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

Stephen Buchanan is very good, on at the Cellar @ Pleasance. Think it was only £10/15 as well.

The Voldemort and Thrones parody musicals are great as well.

Trainspotting live is an experience.

War of Two Halves is a must; see separate thread(s) on it.

I saw him too and enjoyed the show.  Also went to see Stuart McPherson at the Monkey Barrel, and really enjoyed his show.  It's £5 to pre-order, or turn up for free and pay what you want, assuming you are able to get in.  I pre-ordered and it was well worth a fiver.

Just been to see Jerry Sadowitz yesterday evening, and I was in tears of laughter as ever at the stuff he comes out with.  A few people walked out, as is par for the course with Jerry.

William H. Bonney
9 hours ago, RobNox said:

I saw him too and enjoyed the show.  Also went to see Stuart McPherson at the Monkey Barrel, and really enjoyed his show.  It's £5 to pre-order, or turn up for free and pay what you want, assuming you are able to get in.  I pre-ordered and it was well worth a fiver.

Just been to see Jerry Sadowitz yesterday evening, and I was in tears of laughter as ever at the stuff he comes out with.  A few people walked out, as is par for the course with Jerry.

I sat next to a guy once who was threatening to punch Jerry. 

Who goes to these types of stand ups with that type of mindset. 

I went to see ‘an Evening without Kate bush’. 

Free show at the voodoo rooms.