Matt Le Tissier

Салатные палочки

13 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Gazza?

Maybe I'm blinded by my hatred of the Huns but I was never a fan of Gazza. 

been here before
31 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

England have always been like that though Bridge, they’ve always put industrialism and caution over skill & flair. 

There’s so many skilled and gifted players that should have had loads of caps and would have done had they been South American or Dutch. Tony Currie, Alan Hudson, Stan Bowles, Le Tiss, Charlie George, even Glenn Hoddles 50 something caps is outrageous, he should have had 100’s but they always preferred Bryan Robson. 

The irony being that Hoddle was one of the managers who wouldnt pick Le Tissier.

2 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

Maybe I'm blinded by my hatred of the Huns but I was never a fan of Gazza. 

I'm no fan either, but pre injury he was brilliant.

Was there not a club manager who didn’t pick him as he was too lazy, lasted about 3 or 4 games getting beat then brought him back in, and he scored a hatrick?

He had some talent, a joy too watch.

Matthew Le Tissier
12 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Was there not a club manager who didn’t pick him as he was too lazy, lasted about 3 or 4 games getting beat then brought him back in, and he scored a hatrick?

Sounds like the Ian Branfoot era early to mid ninetys

24 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

two goals including the winner in the 88+ minute v newcastle

11 minutes ago, Matthew Le Tissier said:

Sounds like the Ian Branfoot era early to mid ninetys

yes branfoot tried to send tiss back to the reserves

thus was one of the goals what a lovely bit of skill

Edited by milky_26

13 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

two goals including the winner in the 88+ minute v newcastle

yes branfoot tried to send tiss back to the reserves

thus was one of the goals what a lovely bit of skill

That was it! Genius!

remember Gullit tried the same with Shearer at Newcastle there was only going to be one winner in that contest!

To cap it all, he scored the last ever goal at The Dell, naturally it was a belter....

Cruyff Turn
1 hour ago, been here before said:

The irony being that Hoddle was one of the managers who wouldnt pick Le Tissier.

Haha, Indeed he was. 

It's testament to his ability and the regard neutrals have for him as a player that this thread has got so far without someone mentioning he was married to a large chested australian soap star. 

4 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

An absolute hero.  My heart sank when opening this thinking “aw noh”

The "not dead" tag helped but you were still left with "Don't be a paedo, don't be a paedo, don't be a paedo...." 

Inch Hearts
Just now, Normthebarman said:

The "not dead" tag helped but you were still left with "Don't be a paedo, don't be a paedo, don't be a paedo...." 

:lol: I didn’t see the tag mate but yeah that would have been equally devastating considering the guys posters where on my wall from the Match days. 

• 3 years later...
been here before
40 minutes ago, escobri said:

https://slpc.co.uk/

Q&A tonight, football chat so far 👍

Im presuming this is what the flyers were for that were being handed out when we were playing in Lochend a few weeks ago.

17 minutes ago, been here before said:

Im presuming this is what the flyers were for that were being handed out when we were playing in Lochend a few weeks ago.

Yes, Q&A session coming up, hopefully more football stories to come. Been about 20 online watching 🤣

Mikey1874
31 minutes ago, been here before said:

The flyers didn't mention much about football. Good on Matt for sticking to what he knows. 

On 06/07/2019 at 08:08, Salad Fingers said:

Up early with the wee one, she fell back asleep and I'm watching Sky Sports best goals compilation. Seen one from Matt Le Tissier so decided to watch a couple of videos on YouTube. 

Now I remember him but on watching these videos I realised I have never seen the majority of his goals. My god, did the guy ever score  a tap in? 

Requiem for a Screamer

TexasAndy
On 06/07/2019 at 18:53, ri Alban said:

Gazza?

Le Tiss was up there with Gazza for shear ability (some would say he had more) but as previous poster said he had lacked the motivation to maximise his potential.

11 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Le Tiss was up there with Gazza for shear ability (some would say he had more) but as previous poster said he had lacked the motivation to maximise his potential.

Not in the same class as Gazza generally IMO - but in terms of long range shots second to none (well apart from Rudi obviously).

Ricardo Quaresma

This should answer a few of your questions; watched this a few weeks ago

hearts @ heart
On 06/07/2019 at 08:08, Salad Fingers said:

Up early with the wee one, she fell back asleep and I'm watching Sky Sports best goals compilation. Seen one from Matt Le Tissier so decided to watch a couple of videos on YouTube. 

Now I remember him but on watching these videos I realised I have never seen the majority of his goals. My god, did the guy ever score  a tap in? 

After he beat half the opposition. 😆 honest.

upgotheheads

Fantastic player, and I saw him  at Tynecastle in a pre season friendly, I can't remember the date but it was probably more than 25 years ago.

about those goals - It seems to me that he always took the first half decent opportunity that presented itself rather than waiting for a better one to come along, far too many players over egg the pudding waiting for a better one in my opinion.

John Findlay
On 06/07/2019 at 20:57, Tazio said:

It's testament to his ability and the regard neutrals have for him as a player that this thread has got so far without someone mentioning he was married to a large chested australian soap star. 

He was married Harold Bishop?! I never knew that.

The White Cockade
On 06/07/2019 at 20:57, Tazio said:

IMG_5558.jpeg

Wonderful football player with some of the all time great Premier league goals and criminally underused by England.

Average pundit on Sky.

Conspiracy theory nut job on GB News.

Mixed bag really.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
9 minutes ago, jonesy said:

:cornette_dog:

That’s right Jonesy, **** him and all who hang out the back of him 

On 06/07/2019 at 18:36, Cruyff Turn said:

England have always been like that though Bridge, they’ve always put industrialism and caution over skill & flair. 

There’s so many skilled and gifted players that should have had loads of caps and would have done had they been South American or Dutch. Tony Currie, Alan Hudson, Stan Bowles, Le Tiss, Charlie George, even Glenn Hoddles 50 something caps is outrageous, he should have had 100’s but they always preferred Bryan Robson. 

Robson was a terrific player and was a completely different midfielder than Hoddle - it wasn't an either or.

John Findlay
21 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Not in my opinion ffs :lol:

If someone eats crayons, it’s better just to say so rather than giving it ‘he’s entitled to his opinion’

What's your favourite colour of crayon to munch?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

What's your favourite colour of crayon to munch?

Generally blue.

Yours will be yellow.

John Findlay
25 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Generally blue.

Yours will be yellow.

🤣

Toxteth O'Grady
20 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I can separate his views (which are a bit mad, but really harmless enough - he looks like the kind of nutter you'd find in a pub in the afternoon that tries chatting to you about conspiracy theories when all you want is a pint) from his playing career, which showed great dedication to his team, a single-mindedness about what he wanted from football, and some beautiful goals.

His great dedication to Southampton was because it was a quick flight home to Guernsey. He used to stay behind after training and practice long distance shots before nipping up to the airport for his flight home.

Toxteth O'Grady
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Exactly, bud. Knew what he wanted from his career and seems to have enjoyed it. Probably could've signed for a bigger team and kicked on to the next level, but didn't fancy putting the work in - no harm in that if there's no regrets on his part.

I'm not replying three times, though ;)

No idea why I posted 3 times! 

His shooting practice paid off with some fantastic goals.

On 06/07/2019 at 09:06, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

Good story but Le Tiss is a Donkey, it’s Guernsey he is from ?

Yep, probably the biggest reason he stayed at Southampton. All his family are Guerns and Southampton is a 30 minute flight ✈️. See him occasionally. Lad's put on a bit of timber but will always sign an autograph for people. 

Toxteth O'Grady
On 06/07/2019 at 09:06, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

Good story but Le Tiss is a Donkey, it’s Guernsey he is from ?

Grockle

Stuttgart 2000

My mate grew up in the calders and Le Tiss’s cousin was his down stairs neighbour, **** knows how that came to be but 100% true 

Unknown user

Had to leave his job at Southampton because he's an arsehole though, he came out saying one of the Russian attacks on Ukraine was a media invention.