Matt Le Tissier

Салатные палочки

Салатные палочки

Up early with the wee one, she fell back asleep and I'm watching Sky Sports best goals compilation. Seen one from Matt Le Tissier so decided to watch a couple of videos on YouTube. 

Now I remember him but on watching these videos I realised I have never seen the majority of his goals. My god, did the guy ever score  a tap in? 

Matthew Le Tissier

Man was an absolute genius. Growing up in the 90s he was my footballing hero, he could do no wrong. There’s a lot said about him not moving, but he was happy being the big fish in the small pond at Saints. 

Some Rudiesque goals in amongst these screamers. I’m sure Mat took up posting on here after he retired.?

^^^^^^^^^^^?

Edited by Dannie Boy

SM Sheffield

A cracking player with unbelievable natural talent and his set pieces were incredible. Wasted his career in my opinion. Southampton without Le Tissier were rubbish for pretty much his entire career, staying clearly affected his England chances, and the Dell was a shithole yet he stayed. Incredible loyalty and he saved Southampton from relegation multiple times. Incredible nowadays to imagine a player doing that.

Inconceivable that a talent like that would stay at a relatively small club for his entire career these days. An Englishman with the skills and goals of Le Tissier would break the EPL transfer record.

26 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Up early with the wee one, she fell back asleep and I'm watching Sky Sports best goals compilation. Seen one from Matt Le Tissier so decided to watch a couple of videos on YouTube. 

Now I remember him but on watching these videos I realised I have never seen the majority of his goals. My god, did the guy ever score  a tap in? 

I met Lawrie McMenemy at a Sports dinner and told him that Matt Le Tiss was my all time favourite player. I also learned that Xavi and many others at Barcelona was hugely inspired by watching him play as well. 

All good and well, and then Lawrie told me the 'after dinner' joke of all jokes. Jersey's local aircraft company were so proud of their local here they wanted to name one of their few planes after him. Lawrie was consulted on this and told them it would be a bad idea. Why? ...the asked. "Because Matt's slow on the ground and crap in the air".  An absolute classic. 

In the 1st video at 2.05 to 2.09 minutes he scores a cracker. Just look at how many opposition fans behind the goal applaud. Acknowledging class when they see it.  

Spellczech

He's the player who kept me a football fan. As a neutral you wish he'd played on a bigger stage, but as a fan of a club that doesn't win things very often, you dream that if Hearts could find 11 of him, they'd win the Champions League...

IveSeenTheLight
10 minutes ago, Matthew Le Tissier said:

Man was an absolute genius. Growing up in the 90s he was my footballing hero, he could do no wrong. There’s a lot said about him not moving, but he was happy being the big fish in the small pond at Saints. 

Was there not a rumour about his lack of commitment in training and was afforded that by Southampton, hence part of the reason why he never moved.

i see he now has a Matt Le Tissier Natural Coaching academy, developing natural talent in a pressure free environment

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
24 minutes ago, Deodato said:

I met Lawrie McMenemy at a Sports dinner and told him that Matt Le Tiss was my all time favourite player. I also learned that Xavi and many others at Barcelona was hugely inspired by watching him play as well. 

All good and well, and then Lawrie told me the 'after dinner' joke of all jokes. Jersey's local aircraft company were so proud of their local here they wanted to name one of their few planes after him. Lawrie was consulted on this and told them it would be a bad idea. Why? ...the asked. "Because Matt's slow on the ground and crap in the air".  An absolute classic. 

Good story but Le Tiss is a Donkey, it’s Guernsey he is from ?

3fingersreid

I’m sure he was eligible to play for Scotland through some rule because he was born in the Chanel islands, but the then Scotland boss and/or SFA didn’t want to invoke that rule . 

Can anyone confirm this for me ? 

8 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I’m sure he was eligible to play for Scotland through some rule because he was born in the Chanel islands, but the then Scotland boss and/or SFA didn’t want to invoke that rule . 

The Channel Islands rule is/was(?) correct and probably still is. I heard that Craig Brown asked the question but Le Tiss (and Le Saux) both felt English and wanted to play for them. 

Anyway, he was an amazing player and along with three guid Jambo mates, I was lucky enough to see “live” his goal at Ewood Park where he beat a couple of players on the halfway line and lobbed Tim Flowers from 40+ yards. Scored another beauty that day, controlling a long ball over his shoulder with his first touch and half-volleying the ball into the net from 20 yards. In the last minute he missed a sitter (fresh air swipe at a cross) from six yards to make it 3-3!!! 

Edited by Shaggy2

copa-mundial
3 minutes ago, salvo69 said:

Sure he never missed a penalty in his career but could be an urban myth 

He missed one. Saved by mark crossley if memory serves right

peebles jambo

I worked at Southampton years ago when he was still playing and the guy was treated like a god, the guy was a genius

copa-mundial
33 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Was there not a rumour about his lack of commitment in training and was afforded that by Southampton, hence part of the reason why he never moved.

i see he now has a Matt Le Tissier Natural Coaching academy, developing natural talent in a pressure free environment

On the first paragraph. Le Tissier himself has said as much on numerous occasions. 

Alan Ball loved him, let him do pretty much whatever he wanted, such as his influence in games. 

The man was a genius. His quality of goals show his talent. Single handedly at times kept the saints in the EPL for so long. 

I for one was delighted when he scored the last ever goal at the old Dell. Very fitting end for his career and the stadium. 

What a goal it was too against Arsenal.

Toxteth O'Grady
1 hour ago, Matthew Le Tissier said:

He was happy at Southampton because he could fly home to Guernsey after training. He used to kill time after the end of training by practicing 40 yard shots before going to the airport. 

gashauskis9

Great player and comes across as a good, down to earth guy who is partial to kebab of a Sunday morning.

Matthew Le Tissier

He was asked which goal was his favourite in an interview, the one against Blackburn due to Tim Flowers wynding him up In the tunnel saying he wasn’t going to score that day. So Matt responded with “where you hang your towel up I’ll hit it” which he did ??

Tag made me laugh :D

Amazing player, wonder what would have happened had he joined a bigger team. Although, its really special to have spent that much time at one club. 

been here before

One of the best players ever. If he'd played for one of the so called more fashionable or glamourous clubs he'd regularly be cited up there with the likes of Zidane and the rest.

To think that he only won 8 caps- thats insane.

Edited by been here before

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, Shaggy2 said:

The Channel Islands rule is/was(?) correct and probably still is. I heard that Craig Brown asked the question but Le Tiss (and Le Saux) both felt English and wanted to play for them. 

Anyway, he was an amazing player and along with three guid Jambo mates, I was lucky enough to see “live” his goal at Ewood Park where he beat a couple of players on the halfway line and lobbed Tim Flowers from 40+ yards. Scored another beauty that day, controlling a long ball over his shoulder with his first touch and half-volleying the ball into the net from 20 yards. In the last minute he missed a sitter (fresh air swipe at a cross) from six yards to make it 3-3!!! 

Cheers , wasn’t sure if my memory was playing tricks ??

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
2 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

From the Chanel islands? Should have been No 5.

4 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Possibly the laziest player ever but you are right every goal was class 

Bridge of Djoum
1 hour ago, been here before said:

One of the best players ever. If he'd played for one of the so called more fashionable or glamourous clubs he'd regularly be cited up there with the likes of Zidane and the rest.

To think that he only won 8 caps- thats insane.

Shows that a small club bias has existed for quite some time. Many, many very average English players have many more caps than Le Tissier....

A select few midfielders

Nicky Butt 39

Joe Cole 56

Owen Hargreaves 42

Shaun Wright-Phillips 36

Stewart Downing 35

Aaron Lennon 21

Dennis Wise 21

3fingersreid
47 minutes ago, Andrew Gilbert Wauchope said:

From the Chanel islands? Should have been No 5.

?? I must double check auto correct ? although the I pad is probably convinced it’s the only spelling given how often my wife and daughters price check that bloody stuff ?

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
2 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

?? I must double check auto correct ? although the I pad is probably convinced it’s the only spelling given how often my wife and daughters price check that bloody stuff ?

?

The Comedian

He was some player. Had a nice languid style to him and didn't play like he was from these shores.

Jamboelite
20 minutes ago, Pants Shaton said:

Lazy fecker - could have been world class if he’d trained hard.

He was world class but get your point.

All roads lead to Gorgie

A favourite of mine. I love so called maverick players who just do their own thing on the pitch and clubs that allow that to happen. You need hard working team mates willing to fill in the gaps though. 

Mr Elwood P
4 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Shows that a small club bias has existed for quite some time. Many, many very average English players have many more caps than Le Tissier....

A select few midfielders

Nicky Butt 39

Joe Cole 56

Owen Hargreaves 42

Shaun Wright-Phillips 36

Stewart Downing 35

Aaron Lennon 21

Dennis Wise 21

Not having Joe Cole as ‘average’, he was a great player!

Bridge of Djoum
4 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Not having Joe Cole as ‘average’, he was a great player!

Compared to Le Tissier he was bang average and one of the weakest players I ever saw. Nothing against Cole at all, I just don't rate him.

Bridge of Djoum
59 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

He was some player. Had a nice languid style to him and didn't play like he was from these shores.

He wasn't.

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Compared to Le Tissier he was bang average and one of the weakest players I ever saw. Nothing against Cole at all, I just don't rate him.

Who played ahead of Le Tiss though? That’s really where the comparison needs to be. Comparing him to players who got England caps a generation later doesn’t mean much.

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

Who played ahead of Le Tiss though? That’s really where the comparison needs to be. Comparing him to players who got England caps a generation later doesn’t mean much.

You're right. No point comparing. 

Mr Elwood P
Just now, Bridge of Djoum said:

I was genuinely asking? Can’t remember the England squads from his time. 

Bridge of Djoum
2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

But one name sticks out... Carlton Palmer. 18 caps I believe.

There was a reason managers didn't play le Tissier. Cannot fathom what it is.

Bridge of Djoum

What's even more shocking that out of his 8 caps... 6 were friendlies!

The other 2 were WCQ'S... against Italy and Moldova.

Probably had the most natural talent of any British player in the last 30 years. On one hand, it's a shame that he didn't push himself more as he'd probably be one of the best players of all time. On the other hand, I have a little bit of respect for someone who says "I enjoy what I'm doing and where I'm doing it, why try for anything else?". He was happy, Southampton fans worship him. Good guy IMO and was probably my favourite player in England in the late 80s, early 90's.

Cruyff Turn
1 hour ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

But one name sticks out... Carlton Palmer. 18 caps I believe.

There was a reason managers didn't play le Tissier. Cannot fathom what it is.

England have always been like that though Bridge, they’ve always put industrialism and caution over skill & flair. 

There’s so many skilled and gifted players that should have had loads of caps and would have done had they been South American or Dutch. Tony Currie, Alan Hudson, Stan Bowles, Le Tiss, Charlie George, even Glenn Hoddles 50 something caps is outrageous, he should have had 100’s but they always preferred Bryan Robson. 

Probably the last of a kind who was worth fortunes that didn't bother moving - fair doos as Sky will probably be paying him a massive wedge now 

Brighton Jambo

My all time favourite player (in regards to teams i don’t support)

A genuine genius and if you ever get the chance to watch his PL 100 club compilation on Sky please do so as some of his goals are staggering.

he was also the greatest fantasy football player ever.  Took every corner, penalty, free kick, and was Southampton man of the match every week!  

2 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Give me Beardsley, linekar and Barnes any day. 

1 hour ago, Normthebarman said:

Probably had the most natural talent of any British player in the last 30 years. On one hand, it's a shame that he didn't push himself more as he'd probably be one of the best players of all time. On the other hand, I have a little bit of respect for someone who says "I enjoy what I'm doing and where I'm doing it, why try for anything else?". He was happy, Southampton fans worship him. Good guy IMO and was probably my favourite player in England in the late 80s, early 90's.

Gazza?