Hearts spend £100K on CCTV during close season

7628mm

davemclaren
9 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Was going to respond to this but OLLB pretty much wrote what I was about to:

I can’t for the life of me see how installing CCTV is an “attack on the working class fan.”

:cornette:

Special class filters are being fitted I’ve heard. 

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bridge of Djoum

• McCrae

• davemclaren

• Alex Kintner

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

I can’t for the life of me see how installing CCTV is an “attack on the working class fan.”

Used to have this same debate when folk were against the opening of a decent restaurant where The Green Tree/Robertson’s was. There were folk who were gasping at the thought of sitting down and enjoying nice food in gorgie Road. Apparently working class people don’t do that... ?

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

It’s a good thing. Shows the club have identified a problem and are acting. If we never and things continued to grow then what next ? Nets up ? Points deducted ? More section closures ?

at least this way folk that don’t behave and continue to vandalise / throw objects etc will be clearly identified and thrown out , banned and if applicable prosecuted. 

By doing nothing we would end up being open to sanctions. Sad but true. 

Echo what others have said and given the arse cheeks continue to sing their filth and vandalise they should have their sections shut or at the least halfed. 

Bazzas right boot
51 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

41 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

??

Alex Kintner
44 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Used to have this same debate when folk were against the opening of a decent restaurant where The Green Tree/Robertson’s was. There were folk who were gasping at the thought of sitting down and enjoying nice food in gorgie Road. Apparently working class people don’t do that... ?

I quite liked that wee bistro place that opened up. Was ideal for a couple of drinks and a pizza with my pals after the game. Not sure what’s there now but always looks dead every time I walk by.

45 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

?

12 hours ago, 7628mm said:

Hearts have spent £100,000 installing CCTV in Tynecastle during the close season.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/hearts-owner-ann-budge-outlines-reasons-for-100k-spend-on-cctv-1-4960337?fbclid=IwAR3W26Qv0KkVe9OCigIR3fk_sL5qMBZuZylB77npjKfZLzfcFa7fQzvYWwo

Money well spent or would it have been spent better on the playing side?

Some other things from the article could also be up for an adult debate on here but we will see what happens.

Fill your boots kids

Well spent. Can really highlight all the arseholes and make Tynie a more pleasant place for all.

10 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

They were looking for folk standing up... amirite?

No idea what they were looking for.

Just wondering what they were monitoring if we didn't have CCTV. Or is this just better CCTV? Could we now do away with the police and the box and just pass footage to them after the fact?

Alex Kintner
3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Just wondering what they were monitoring if we didn't have CCTV. Or is this just better CCTV? Could we now do away with the police and the box and just pass footage to them after the fact?

Think there was an interview where it was explained this was better CCTV and would allow more accurate identification of fans

The money on the CCTV is being linked to recent events like the coin that hit Lennon and where no one was caught.

But we might have needed to upgrade the CCTV anyway. 

For some context Edinburgh Council are spending at least around £1 million modernising the CCTV in town.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-46277962

11 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I think there were problems with the quality of the footage for evidential purposes.   

The Future's Maroon
24 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

I quite liked that wee bistro place that opened up. Was ideal for a couple of drinks and a pizza with my pals after the game. Not sure what’s there now but always looks dead every time I walk by.

?

I’m sure I heard a while ago it was turning into a funeral place, the one up at Angle Park (old fire station) is moving there? (Those plans may have changed)

davemclaren
Just now, The Future's Maroon said:

I’m sure I heard a while ago it was turning into a funeral place, the one up at Angle Park (old fire station) is moving there? (Those plans may have changed)

?

1 hour ago, To Be Frank said:

I'll reiterate and expand.

I'm implying nothing, and I think your immediate jump to assume that I am is pretty pathetic. Its a face value post aimed at legitimately criticising Budges view. I'd actually argue that your view of my post should be more directed towards Budge, after all,  her view, backed up by her actions seem to be that fans can't go to the games without taking part in unacceptable conduct and therefore all need to be watched better. 

I think you've taken my criticism of Budge personally. Its not. 

I feel like increased surveillance is unnecessary and unfairly demonises the support as there appears to be an assumption that we need to be watched. You're welcome to take issue with my use of working class, perhaps more generally it is just football fans. People say things in the heat of the moment and I can't help but think the next step to this move is to ban swearing with CCTV being used to identify folk that have for example called Scott Brown a ****ing bald ^^^^. Half of what makes football football is the emotion and passion from the fans. Contrasting British football with the MLS I think highlights that. It makes it unique and shouldn't be changed (Although I do accept racists and the like that use our club as an outlet for their scumbaggery should be chased off).

Thats my view, exactly as I've posted it. I'm not saying one class of people are more likely to commit crime or whatever bollocks people are falling over themselves to try and infer. I don't believe there should be an assumption that football fans are going to participate in behaviour that warrants a 6 figure sum being spent on better CCTV to be able to ruin folks lives for heat of the moment comments (with the exception of racism, since I need to make that clear and it can't just be a ****ing given). 

Now please, post your shitey emoji which contributes oh so much to this debate...?

2 minutes ago, Deevers said:

I think there were problems with the quality of the footage for evidential purposes.   

Evidential purposes? Surely the old CCTV wasn't so bad we couldn't see an incident occuring...though I guess im maybe underestimating how hold it was.

Alex Kintner
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

I'm implying nothing, and I think your immediate jump to assume that I am is pretty pathetic. Its a face value post aimed at legitimately criticising Budges view. I'd actually argue that your view of my post should be more directed towards Budge, after all,  her view, backed up by her actions seem to be that fans can't go to the games without taking part in unacceptable conduct and therefore all need to be watched better. 

I feel like increased surveillance is unnecessary and unfairly demonises the support as there appears to be an assumption that we need to be watched. You're welcome to take issue with my use of working class, perhaps more generally it is just football fans. People say things in the heat of the moment and I can't help but think the next step to this move is to ban swearing with CCTV being used to identify folk that have for example called Scott Brown a ****ing bald ^^^^. Half of what makes football football is the emotion and passion from the fans. Contrasting British football with the MLS I think highlights that. It makes it unique and shouldn't be changed (Although I do accept racists and the like that use our club as an outlet for their scumbaggery should be chased off).

Thats my view, exactly as I've posted it. I'm not saying one class of people are more likely to commit crime or whatever bollocks people are falling over themselves to try and infer. I don't believe there should be an assumption that football fans are going to participate in behaviour that warrants a 6 figure sum being spent on better CCTV to be able to ruin folks lives for heat of the moment comments (with the exception of racism, since I need to make that clear and it can't just be a ****ing given). 

Now please, post your shitey emoji which contributes oh so much to this debate...?

None of that explains this ridiculous comment:

”it’s an attack on the working class fan”

Alex Kintner
Just now, Taffin said:

Evidential purposes? Surely the old CCTV wasn't so bad we couldn't see an incident occuring...though I guess im maybe underestimating how hold it was.

Probably as simple as the more you zoomed in the fuzzier it got and therefore it added some doubt as to the identitiy of the culprit

davemclaren
Just now, Taffin said:

Inability to be used to confirm identity in court. 

1 minute ago, To Be Frank said:

Read it again, but slowly.

12 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Are they putting it in the toilet cubicles too?

Can catch whoever jobbies at the football. It’s just not the done thing. A no-no.  

Should be strung up. 

A pressing issue worthy of its own thread. Long overdue, imo. 

Wouldn’t surprise me if the wipe-my-arse-standing-up perverts are behind this.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, leginten said:

??

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Inability to be used to confirm identity in court. 

Im not really sure that burden should for us to foot the bill for 

3 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Probably as simple as the more you zoomed in the fuzzier it got and therefore it added some doubt as to the identitiy of the culprit

Yeh, that makes sense. We need to protect the business and club reputation. 

36 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

?

Funeral parlour now. Apparently working class people are okay with funerals. 

Alex Kintner
5 minutes ago, OTT said:

Read it again, but slowly.

Tried that. Still comes across as over the top nonsense

1 minute ago, To Be Frank said:

Tried that. Still comes across as over the top nonsense

I read it that slowly the letter's F, L and A kept popping up between the lines.

7 minutes ago, leginten said:

?Hehehe...I tip my hat to anyone who can do this.  Normally leads to cacky up the backy.  

17 minutes ago, OTT said:

Well done for sticking by your view mate. 

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Im not really sure that burden should for us to foot the bill for 

Yeh, that makes sense. We need to protect the business and club reputation. 

I think that events last season made upgrading this system an imperative. We needed to be seen to be taking the initiative on weeding out the coin throwing and pyrotechnic loving  clowns.  I believe that upgrading the xylem was already on the agenda for the ground and had been delayed while other work was completed on the new stand. It’s now seen as a priority.

Armageddon

For those moaning they clearly do not know the standard required, or its those who have something to fear!! :) Yet again investing in the facilities to ensure they're to the best standard.

Having the best standard allows us to increase revenue from other areas, money very well spent.

John Findlay
14 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Publicising it might act as a deterrent. The aim of CCTV is to prevent crime not record it 

It's main function is actually an aid to prosecution.

Bridge of Djoum
3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I've heard if you wear wellies, the CCTV won't see you.

Mid Calder Jambo
15 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Can catch whoever jobbies at the football. It’s just not the done thing. A no-no.  

Should be strung up. 

Some of the football we watch is much more effective than a laxative.  When I see Berra hoof it up the park I'm away doonstairs.

£100,000 won't buy you CCTV that monitors Celtic and Sevco fans singing their filth I bet, or stealing the takings from our food outlets.

Bridge of Djoum
2 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Was just about to post that. Steers well away from the very strong comment made initially. 

I'd imagine the installation/upgrade of the CCTV system is also a safety matter, not just for the purpose of ''turning Tynie into Edinburgh's biggest library''. More than likely lowers insurance costs and just maybe if one of the opponents of CCTV gets a good smack in the mouth at the game, he may want it used for ID purposes. The system does a lot more than just monitor big bad boys. Folk are so desperate to work the negative angle they are missing the real point.

CCTV is an attack on the working class... wrong

CCTV is a nanny state..wrong

CCTV proves Budge wants no atmosphere...wrong

If you don't act like a fud, break the law you have zero to worry about, in fact I'll bet you barely even notice the cameras...correct.

I wonder how many of the oppponents of this whine about the surveillance of pretty much every street in the country. Were they up in arms about that system being installed over the years? 

CCTV may not make areas/stadia ''safer'', but they most certainly assist incredibly when it comes to identifying offenders. 

Bridge of Djoum
12 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Correct. 

Byyy The Light

If you don’t break the law you’ve nothing to worry about.

The idea that Budge is trying to stop people swearing is absolutely hilarious.

Get a grip. 

17 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Was just about to post that. Steers well away from the very strong comment made initially. 

I'd imagine the installation/upgrade of the CCTV system is also a safety matter, not just for the purpose of ''turning Tynie into Edinburgh's biggest library''. More than likely lowers insurance costs and just maybe if one of the opponents of CCTV gets a good smack in the mouth at the game, he may want it used for ID purposes. The system does a lot more than just monitor big bad boys. Folk are so desperate to work the negative angle they are missing the real point.

CCTV is an attack on the working class... wrong

CCTV is a nanny state..wrong

CCTV proves Budge wants no atmosphere...wrong

If you don't act like a fud, break the law you have zero to worry about, in fact I'll bet you barely even notice the cameras...correct.

I wonder how many of the oppponents of this whine about the surveillance of pretty much every street in the country. Were they up in arms about that system being installed over the years? 

CCTV may not make areas/stadia ''safer'', but they most certainly assist incredibly when it comes to identifying offenders. 

It's also helpful to meet SPFL requirements on clubs doing the most they can to deter trouble. 

Basically instead of strict liability. 

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

It's also helpful to meet SPFL requirements on clubs doing the most they can to deter trouble. 

Basically instead of strict liability. 

Aye. Good point. 

2 hours ago, OTT said:

No one has ever suggested that calling Scott Brown a *****, vocally, will get you chucked out of Tynecastle. Flares/smoke bombs, running on the pitch, chucking bottles/coins or racist/sectarian chanting will get you chucked out.

Nothing, in that respect, has changed. And I agree, I don't want it to get too sanitised or go towards the EPL where "fans" line up to get selfies with opposition stars. Nah, I like Tynecastle to be atmospheric and hostile to the opposition. 

The only thing that worries me is being filmed picking my nose, or scratching my arse (If both, only ever in that order). What are the laws around the use of such images captured?  I don't fancy featuring in some end of season fans DVD.

davemclaren
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

I reckon it’s failed if it gets that far. ?

CloustonHMFC

Is this actually news to people? It was pretty well documented towards the end of the season we’d be installing CCTV that costs around £100k during close season...

And, for people moaning about the money, there is absolutely no chance this would have come out of the playing budget. If it wasn’t spent on CCTV, it would have been spent on something else so people can chill. 

5 hours ago, Deevers said:

If the footage of what goes on in the school end at Old Firm games is passed to the police then they haves duty to follow it up.  Let’s just see how all of this pans out before passing judgement.  I get the impression that our hand (and Hibs hand) has been forced with this after the behaviour of a few at certain games.  We have had to be see to be doing something. Folk should forget all the whitabootery because we all know that the GFA will look for someone to scapegoat for the pyrotechnics and the coin throwing. You can bet your bottom dollar that no matter what it won’t be either of the Old Firm.  By spending this money we at least can show that we are taking this seriously and taking steps to eradicate the problem. It might just save us money in the long term if the clown that like to indulge in that sort of thing can’t control themselves.

Not passing judgement, mate. Just making a, very good IMO, prediction that there will be threads on here this coming season, complaining that OF behaviour in the Roseburn won’t come under the same scrutiny as the rest of the stadium.

I may be wrong of course. I don’t think I will be.

11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I reckon it’s failed if it gets that far. ?

Not at all Dave, most "crimes" at the football are spur of the moment and not premeditated, no amount of CCTV is going to stop that.

Some street CCTV systems now come with audio output so that an operator can issue a verbal warning that there are cameras recording, this can help prevent situations escalating but without that CCTV simply records.

I'm in total support of this. The idiots ruin it for me and I want them gone. No more flares no more UFs no more racists. Then the vast majority can be proud of our club and the pond life can head west.

West, incidentally, to a city with two clubs, often disparaged for refusing to accept and deal with their problem support. Unlike our club. Well done Hearts (and Hibs btw)

davemclaren
Just now, graygo said:

Not at all Dave, most "crimes" at the football are spur of the moment and not premeditated, no amount of CCTV is going to stop that.

Some street CCTV systems now come with audio output so that an operator can issue a verbal warning that there are cameras recording, this can help prevent situations escalating but without that CCTV simply records.

I accept a lot of stuff at football is spur of the moment but taking in pyro and offensive attire/flags isn’t. 

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I accept a lot of stuff at football is spur of the moment but taking in pyro and offensive attire/flags isn’t. 

True, let's hope the system identify them and they are dealt with appropriately, kind of proves the point though as we have already got CCTV and they are not deterred.

16 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Should be strung up. 

?

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, graygo said:

True, let's hope the system identify them and they are dealt with appropriately, kind of proves the point though as we have already got CCTV and they are not deterred.

Not sure how good our old system was though. 

Jamboelite

So pricks unhappy we spent £100k on the woman's team, noting it as a waste of cash that could have bought a player, are probably some of the same arsehole element whose behaviour has meant we had to spend that on CCTV.

I hope its used in all areas of the ground include the away end.

Edited by Jamboelite

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Not sure how good our old system was though. 

It was shite but I'm pretty sure our wee neds never gave them a single thought.

Anyway,  I'm in the South of France quaffing some Kronenbourg so time to put the phone down.