***Official Glenavon v Hearts Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, Aich E Eh said:

I don't think Levein is in a position to be losing games, friendly or not. 

??????????????

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Aich E Eh

• rick witter

• Beast Boy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Aich E Eh said:

Exactly, we won the last game 7-0. So i'm not sure you can question the intensity. 

We won because we were playing an irish 2nd division team. 

Today we're playing an irish premiership team who are currently 3rd. 

Do Friendlies matter? Yes and no. ;)

It really depends what the Coaching Team are looking for in my opinion. If it is purely from a fitness point of view and giving players actual game time then the result doesn't really matter, it's more about the players getting fit.

Having said that if the Coaching Team are not sure what their preferred starting line-up is going to be especially in central midfield then it is an ideal opportunity to try out the various combinations available and try and find the right blend.

Edited by wavydavy

4 minutes ago, Hercules said:

Why do people think it’s funny when we’re getting pumped ?

If the result mattered we would play our strongest 11 and not make any huge changes.

But it doesn't. Getting match fit and ready for the new season is all that matters. Risking injury in a meaningless game could scupper any hopes of a good start to the season.

Mr Elwood P
6 minutes ago, Haringshairband said:

I've been trying to be positive in most threads but if we end up with results like this in the league cup I might turn on Levein.

If we lose any League Cup game

2-0 I think it would be p45 time for Craig. I think we will win the group though. 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

Lost 2:1 to Whitehill Welfare anaw !!!  The end is nigh !! - according to the roasters

Bit harsh on us, playing two teams at once. 

4 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Who said it was funny?

The comedians who have posted shite after the goals have been scored ?

Funny eh ?

jamboinglasgow
Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

2-0 I think it would be p45 time for Craig. I think we will win the group though. 

I think your right, though one thing with the league cup group stages is that as teams are starting so early they come into it not running at full speed so it can cause more unsual results such as small teams winning against big teams. So Fridays game is a real potential banana skin, not just as United are a Championship club who are expected to win the league or be at the top, but match sharpness could not be as high.

letsalldothebeattie
9 minutes ago, graygo said:

How do you know we don't look like scoring if you're not at the game? 

4 shots on target we have had according to the stats I'm looking at.

You’ve quoted the wrong person I’ve not said anything about not looking like scoring

SpruceBringsteen
9 minutes ago, Hercules said:

Why do people think it’s funny when we’re getting pumped ?

They don't, they think it's funny adult human beings are losing their shit and punching walls because we're getting pumped in a kickabout.

At least *I* think it's funny. :laugh:

21 minutes ago, Aich E Eh said:

I don't think

On this occasion, I think you probably should have stopped there. It’s a bloody training exercise. ?

Haringshairband
2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I agree, I'm getting a bit fed up of losing (friendly or not) I'm not a happy clapped but I'm usually quite positive. This is CL's last chance for me.

1 minute ago, Hercules said:

The comedians who have posted shite after the goals have been scored ?

Funny eh ?

Just not getting their frillies in a knot over a friendly bud.

rick witter
6 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Really looking forward to next Friday  when can put this it's only a friendly pre season chat to bed and start to judge Levein for what he is . 

Personally I think he's a joker that has been going through the motions for the last few years .

A third season in a row finishing behind the shite should see him off . 

I think it will be a massive struggle on Friday with the usual slow, pedestrian football we play. Hi a goal down and the crowd will quickly turn. Nothing seems to have changed from last season. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, Icon of Symmetry said:

On this occasion, I think you probably should have stopped there. It’s a bloody training exercise. ?

Admittedly not a very good one though,  will give them that  :)

22 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

My first person ignored since starting on kickback all those years ago. 

I feel good I don't have to read any more of that negative pap

I did a handful about a year ago, what a difference it made.

Bazzas right boot

On a more serious note, what the friendlies may tell us is that our back up guys are quite a bit away from challenging for the first team.

Friendlies results are not important in general but fringe players do get a chance they normally might not get and it would seem none have impressed. 

Folk saying Cochrane or Bozanic is ready to step up and replace Lee or Djoum for example, might be getting a reality check. 

Djoum and Lee will need an external replacement. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

3 minutes ago, Bauld said:

If the result mattered we would play our strongest 11 and not make any huge changes.

But it doesn't. Getting match fit and ready for the new season is all that matters. Risking injury in a meaningless game could scupper any hopes of a good start to the season.

No games are meaningless. As you’ve said, the game has some meaning regarding fitness. People have paid decent money to come here to see a positive performance, not run up fitnesses miles. 

rick witter
1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

So everybody keeps saying. Let’s see what happens on Friday. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, rick witter said:

I think it will be a massive struggle on Friday with the usual slow, pedestrian football we play. Hi a goal down and the crowd will quickly turn. Nothing seems to have changed from last season. 

I don't have a clue what the team will be on Friday 

Just now, SpruceBringsteen said:

They don't, they think it's funny adult human beings are losing their shit and punching walls because we're getting pumped in a kickabout.

I always imagine bloodshed at the family Ludo games each Christmas. ?

Tending to agree with you , like I say I think Levein is a joker that's going through the motions . 

rick witter
Just now, Olly Lee's left boot said:

On a more serious note, what the friendlies may tell us is that our back up guys are quite a bit away from challenging for the first team.

Friendlies results are not important in general but fringe players do get a chance the normally might not get and it would seem none have impressed. 

Folk saying Cochrane or Bozanic is ready to step up and replace Lee or Djoum for example, might be getting a reality check. 

Djoum and Lee will need an external replacement. 

We agree yassss ??

So everybody keeps saying. Let’s see what happens on Friday. 

She’ll leave you, and ruin your weekend. 

2 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Maybe people are losing their shit because we’ve been garbage for months and it doesn’t look like changing anytime soon. As long as that imbecile is in charge, it won’t either. 

rick witter
Just now, Icon of Symmetry said:

She’ll leave you, and ruin your weekend. 

???

Glad I’ve another On Standby 

Jaap's Sigh
1 minute ago, rick witter said:

???

Glad I’ve another On Standby 

What’s his name? ?

Edited by Jaap's Sigh

indianajones
13 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Bit off topic but you can get cream for that.

I've lost my head due to this result unfortunately! 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Hercules said:

No games are meaningless. As you’ve said, the game has some meaning regarding fitness. People have paid decent money to come here to see a positive performance, not run up fitnesses miles. 

People who follow football know exactly what a friendly is and what they are paying for. 

The games aren't meaningless, but the results most certainly are. 

We played two teams today. Tells you everything about the results. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
37 minutes ago, LondonJambo1985 said:

Hibs 1-0 down to Dunfermline 

goalkeeper error! 

A pattern is emerging here. Liking that :)

2 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

People who follow football know exactly what a friendly is and what they are paying for. 

People who follow football ???. That’s you eh ?

6 minutes ago, Hercules said:

Maybe people are losing their shit because we’ve been garbage for months and it doesn’t look like changing anytime soon. As long as that imbecile is in charge, it won’t either. 

It’s a training game. It’s one step up from passy-shooty. Get control of yourself and take one of your Mum’s menopause remedies.

PaulHartley10

Our entire central midfield excluding Haring is bottom six standard. And it doesn't look like it's getting addressed.

Hopefully Washington can get a few goals in these games to give him a bit of a confidence boost. 

The results might be meaningless but these games still do serve a purpose. 

SpruceBringsteen
8 minutes ago, Hercules said:

Then whine like a ****ed airplane engine when we get absolutely dicked sideways on Friday. By doing it now you're basically spitting foam at the bibs beating the skins.

Mr Elwood P
2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

2 goals in 2 games for Clare, the comeback is on.

What’s he coming back from?

rick witter
2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

2 goals in 2 games for Clare, the comeback is on.

Glad we have at least got a goal this half. The second half team seems to be a bit more competitive. 

Valois No1

Whilst I agree it’s a friendly and not to get too upset there is the flip side. We were absolutely honking the second half of the season and so far it looks like the same problems persist. It was obvious to me that our midfield last season was genuinely one of the worst in the league and it is now weaker without Djoum......that is a fact. Already we are struggling to beat fisherman and joiners and for me the midfield problem is there and it’s worse. I predict a honking season but hope I’m wrong. Moan the hearts

Mr Elwood P
6 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

We also played without:

Haring

Michael Smith  

Berra

Naismith

Hickey

Walker 

Arguably 5 or 6 players that will play in our first choice starting 11.

2 minutes ago, Homme said:

Given that Glenavon made 11 changes at half time, does that mean we got beat twice today? 

Lost one and drew one I'd say