Ryan Gauld freed

Section Q

brunoatemyhamster

This has got CL written all over it. 

I dlove to see him settle at one place and see what he could do. 

Worth a punt for me. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Yes please. Very much still a punt on a promising player who has stalled  but more chance of being in the souttar than wighton (so far) category IMO.

Apparently there is a Portuguese team, Banderson tweeted it. They finished 6th last season.

I'd love us to nab him because I think with consistent football and familiarity he could really kick on. Apparently he really likes it out there though. I suppose you have to be in it to win it though, and Levein should absolutely be contacting him to see if something can be worked out. 

StevenNaismith

Not seen much of him since he first left United but saw lots of him as a youth. He was head and shoulders above anyone in his age group in the country. Very much a player who needs an arm around the shoulder. I think he would flourish under Craig.

Certainly worth giving him a chance to improve. We have the coaching staff (not the scouting staff) who could maybe bring the best out of him. 

7 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Certainly worth giving him a chance to improve. We have the coaching staff (not the scouting staff) who could maybe bring the best out of him. 

I would have expected spending years with Sporting should have brought out the best in him.

I suspect he has hit the limits of his ability and he won't get any better.

Just now, Bauld said:

I would have expected spending years with Sporting should have brought out the best in him.

I suspect he has hit the limits of his ability and he won't get any better.

Plateaued out. You could be right. That next level up from whatever level you are at is too much for most players hence why I never made it, as much as I tried.?

Bluesy1874

Apparently about to sign for Morierense. They finished 6th in the Portuguese top flight. 

I'm surprised that Levein hasn't taken a risk on him. He's all up for risks, ex dundee utd players etc. 

2 hours ago, brunoatemyhamster said:

This has got CL written all over it. 

I dlove to see him settle at one place and see what he could do. 

Worth a punt for me. 

No thanks for me 

will-i-am-a-jambo
28 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Dundee United fairly spunked the money too. 

Was the money not trousered by Stephen Thompson & Jackie McNamara?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Probably not but wouldn't want anyone else to get him.....

....just in case 

Byyy The Light

Was bang average centrally when playing for Scotland U21 at Tynecastle a few years back.

First and only time I have seen him in person and was very underwhelmed. Did nothing at Hibs as far as I’m aware. 

Would be signing on reputation alone. 

Heard he wanted to come to us in Jan but CL wasn't interested. Not sure what to make of that if true tbh.

I'd like us to take him I think, but then is it a straight toss between him and Walker? Would he get in the way of maybe Connor Smith's emergence?

Restonbabe
13 hours ago, Barack said:

Go back to Portugal, wee man. 

You'll enjoy yourself more out there. Playing for a fishing village.

Portugal is a far far far superior place to live in than bonny Scotland. Anyone that has been there would tell you. 

Only a 3 hour flight away aswell. 

allanwilson1970

Would not go near him, I would prefer we give our youngsters a decent run of games to see if they can step up. On another thread a guy made a great point.  Until McDonald and Smith etc are given a run of games it will be difficult for them as dipping them in and out does not help consistency.  Surely for all of us we rather see those 2 getting a good chance and run in the team than bringing in Gauld 

A_A wehatethehibs

He knows Portugal, hopefully he can still be a success there if he can get signed and get a regular game. I don’t think coming back to Scotland would work out too well for him, other than maybe Dundee United. He did nothing at Hibs. 

Sporting is a big club in world football, you have to be excellent to get in their team ahead of the dozens of phenomenal Brazilians queueing up to sign for them. Good luck to him getting his career going.

Let’s be honest, could be a retirement job though, he’s had his big football payday and achieved very little. 

Valois No1

The guy is honking. Hasn't made it in Portugal then comes to Hibs and is anonymous. I would much prefer Cochrane, Irvine etc to play.

Brighton Jambo
13 hours ago, Barack said:

Go back to Portugal, wee man. 

You'll enjoy yourself more out there. Playing for a fishing village.

Isn't he potentially joining a team that finished sixth (exact same position as us) in a Portuguese  league that is far superior to ours? 

Crazy to think on his big breakthrough season the top 2 players in Scottish football were probably Him & Stevie May. Then both of them come back up here and look absolutely s***e

46 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He knows Portugal, hopefully he can still be a success there if he can get signed and get a regular game. I don’t think coming back to Scotland would work out too well for him, other than maybe Dundee United. He did nothing at Hibs. 

Sporting is a big club in world football, you have to be excellent to get in their team ahead of the dozens of phenomenal Brazilians queueing up to sign for them. Good luck to him getting his career going.

Let’s be honest, could be a retirement job though, he’s had his big football payday and achieved very little. 

He didn't actually play for sporting though and I don't think he'd have been on crazy money either, he spent far too long playing reserve football then going out on loan to wee diddy Portuguese teams. 

Mr Brightside
24 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

He didn't actually play for sporting though and I don't think he'd have been on crazy money either, he spent far too long playing reserve football then going out on loan to wee diddy Portuguese teams. 

If a club spends £4m on a transfer fee then the wages will be good, much better than Scottish Prem. Plucking a number out of the air I would say he would be on at least £10k per week.

If we lose Djoum and Lee I would take a gamble on him.

Just now, Mr Brightside said:

If a club spends £4m on a transfer fee then the wages will be good, much better than Scottish Prem. Plucking a number out of the air I would say he would be on at least £10k per week.

He'd have been on a decent weekly wage but I imagine the contract would have been structured so that the big money would arrive when he made the first team but that didn't happen. In my opinion he spent far too long playing almost non competitive football, genuinely think he'd have been better off in the long run staying in Scotland.

Mr Brightside
6 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

He'd have been on a decent weekly wage but I imagine the contract would have been structured so that the big money would arrive when he made the first team but that didn't happen. In my opinion he spent far too long playing almost non competitive football, genuinely think he'd have been better off in the long run staying in Scotland.

Probably true but I think it was worth the gamble for him especially the life experience. Compare to someone like Scott Allan who sat on the bench for Celtic for nearly 3 years and is now 27 having played 1 full season of football.

At 23 Gauls still has time to develop, he has ability but work rate and game management are the areas he needs to work on to push on.

1 hour ago, Mr Brightside said:

We take enough gambles as it is without taking anymore for a key area.

Mr Brightside
6 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

We take enough gambles as it is without taking anymore for a key area.

Every signing we make is a gamble, it’s the market we (all Scottish teams except the OF) operate in.

2 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

Every signing we make is a gamble, it’s the market we (all Scottish teams except the OF) operate in.

Some are a bigger gamble than others though don't you think?

Dallas Green

Went to hibs. Did nothing. Got injured.

A seemingly great prospect but I'd rather take a risk on one of our youngsters.

Just now, Dallas Green said:

Went to hibs. Did nothing. Got injured.

A seemingly great prospect but I'd rather take a risk on one of our youngsters.

Good point. Irving and Cochrane.

15 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Dundee United fairly spunked the money too. 

Stephen Thompson wanted his inheritance back. Wee Jackie given a percentage to move on anything that wasn't nailed down. Relegation? Don't care, not my problem.

Tbh, I don't think I was that aware of him until he was Portugal bound. Was he worthy of such a move at the time and did he greatly impress for Dundee Utd? 

Really don't recall him standing out in any Hearts/United games I attended in his time. Although, it's been pretty much home games only for me for the last decade or so. 

11 hours ago, Longshanks said:

A shite Jason Holt (and he's shite).  No thanks. 

Whatever happened to Holt.....?

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, martoon said:

Tbh, I don't think I was that aware of him until he was Portugal bound. Was he worthy of such a move at the time and did he greatly impress for Dundee Utd? 

Really don't recall him standing out in any Hearts/United games I attended in his time. Although, it's been pretty much home games only for me for the last decade or so. 

iirc his best season was either the season we got relegated or the season we were down. 

*And yes he was amazing for them, scored incredible goals consistently 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

59 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

iirc his best season was either the season we got relegated or the season we were down. 

Cheers A_A. 

Chances are I probably only saw him play once or twice. Just recall being surprised at the move and the fee. 

14 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

Was bang average centrally when playing for Scotland U21 at Tynecastle a few years back.

First and only time I have seen him in person and was very underwhelmed. Did nothing at Hibs as far as I’m aware. 

Would be signing on reputation alone. 

Was that the Macedonia game? 

1 hour ago, Section Q said:

Whatever happened to Holt.....?

He went to Fleetwood or Crawley or something like that,  basically some wee diddy team in England.

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Gauld was very good technically and you could understand why he went abroad. These days he doesn't want it enough IMO and I wouldn't want him, he's got lucky with a good move to keep him in Portugal (cracking.place and good league)

Bazzas right boot

If the money wa right for both sides he'd be well worth it. 

Could be great for both parties.