Sick Kids opening

JamboSpur

Opening on hold only a few days before grand opening to shan ventilation systems ?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coconut doug

• jambos are go!

• frankblack

• Pans Jambo

davemclaren
31 minutes ago, JamboSpur said:

Opening on hold only a few days before grand opening to shan ventilation systems ?

Budge oot. 

Unfortunately I’ve retired these days from heating and ventilation engineering (along with gas) or there would not have been a problem with the ventilation. ? Many years a ago I worked numerous times at the Sick Kids and other hospitals installing these systems. Even did loads of overtime and all nighters to make sure things were ready to go. I wonder if there are still financial penalties applied to not finishing on time!?

Edited by Dannie Boy

1 minute ago, JamboSpur said:

Wonder who the contractor is. They’ll be getting pummelled 

As long as they retain the window cleaning contract they’ll make any money back. 

Brookfield Multiplex Construction Europe

same firm who made a mess of the Glasgow hospital. No doubt self employed management who care too much about spreadsheets than doing a good job.

davemclaren

The reality is that most major programmes/projects hope that things will be resolved just in time so will only flag a red status at the last minute. 

Very, very sad for so many people impacted by, and involved with, the move. This causes a huge amount of worry and hassle. 

37 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

The queen was up for the opening of it today aswell. 

The Queen is in Edinburgh every year at this time for the Holyrood garden party. 

AlimOzturk
14 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

Another SNP fiasco. Remember the Queensferry Crossing. This is much much worse.

Edinburgh council. 

3 hours ago, jambos are go! said:

My understanding was that the opening date of the Queensferry Crossing was brought forward by a few months because the construction was going so well but then there was a really bad winter so it was put back to the original date?

It’s like what’s going on with the trains - whether it’s EGIP, the new InterCity7 or the sleepers - too ambitious with their dates.  Need to take time to do it properly and get things settled in.

Stuart Lyon

It was originally scheduled to open in July 2017!  Another major project masterminded by the SNP government!

Appears that NHS Lothian wanted to go ahead with the opening - it is the Minister that halted the process. Correct decision IMO if it transpires there are issues with the building - get it sorted before you move folk in.

Unknown user
4 hours ago, Peebo said:

The Queen is in Edinburgh every year at this time for the Holyrood garden party. 

No, she means the queen was right up for it, had her best frock laid out, going out tunes set up and everything. Poor cow's away to Wetherspoon's to cheer herself up, totally distraught.

Chester™
1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

It was originally scheduled to open in July 2017!  Another major project masterminded by the SNP government!

The current plan was 2017. The very original plan was to be open in Autumn 2012 (I had a placement at CAMHS just 18 months before and they were getting ready for it then), after being given the green light in 2005 (under the Labour administration, both at National and Local level), and much of the issues appear to be with the contract signed under PFI deals.

AlphonseCapone
4 hours ago, jambos are go! said:

Hasn't got a clue. 

36 minutes ago, Dunks said:

Appears that NHS Lothian wanted to go ahead with the opening - it is the Minister that halted the process. Correct decision IMO if it transpires there are issues with the building - get it sorted before you move folk in.

Has a clue. 

• 5 weeks later...

Might never open.

Drainage is bucked.

3 government members on project team have apparently known about this for the last 36 months and done SFA about it.

What an absolute shambles. 

Edited by JamboSpur

26 minutes ago, JamboSpur said:

Might never open.

Drainage is bucked.

3 government members on project team have apparently known about this for the last 36 months and done SFA about it.

What an absolute shambles. 

Heads need to roll.  More concerning is that the public appears to be paying for this cluster****.

How is there no penalty clauses in contracts to cover the compensation we are paying?

jambos are go!

Yet again the Tartan Taliban on here have headed for the hills when a major issue of SNP competence hits the headlines. 

coconut doug
21 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

Yet again the Tartan Taliban on here have headed for the hills when a major issue of SNP competence hits the headlines. 

The Tartan Taliban is that how you see Indy supporters?

Can you explain to us how the SNP are responsible for drainage at the sick kids? 

Is it not to the credit of the health minister that the hospital has not opened as it is not up to standard? 

What exactly is your point? 

27 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

Dearie me. Go and have a lie down in a dark room.

Who_put_the_ball_in...
1 hour ago, jambos are go! said:

Must be those Tories at it again. Same ones that stitched up poor Alex.

jambos are go!
21 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I am no SNP supporter but would love to know your evidence for blaming them for this. 

So, please enlighten me. 

If you can.

Well as I understand it the SNP Health Minister has accepted full responsibility. Is that good enough for you and the others?

jambos are go!
6 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

So you're saying she should fall on her sword

I'm saying Scotland should accept the we have a Holyrood Government that is not fit for purpose and this is another example. And if it turns out as bad as suggested  then she should do the honourable thing. IMO.

Let's discuss the issue and not hide.

jambos are go!
1 hour ago, coconut doug said:

The Tartan Taliban is that how you see Indy supporters?

Can you explain to us how the SNP are responsible for drainage at the sick kids? 

Is it not to the credit of the health minister that the hospital has not opened as it is not up to standard? 

What exactly is your point? 

I did not attack all Indy supporters and the health minister has accepted  full responsibility.

Bridge of Djoum
On 05/07/2019 at 08:17, Smithee said:

No, she means the queen was right up for it, had her best frock laid out, going out tunes set up and everything. Poor cow's away to Wetherspoon's to cheer herself up, totally distraught.

I heard she ordered a brand new pair of zx600's for the occasion.

coconut doug
49 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

I'm saying Scotland should accept the we have a Holyrood Government that is not fit for purpose and this is another example. And if it turns out as bad as suggested  then she should do the honourable thing. IMO.

You could start us off by telling us in what way the Holyrood govt is not fit for purpose in regard to the delayed opening of the sick kids.

When Freeman says she is going to accept full responsibility don't you think that means she is going to be responsible for resolving the issues?

Would you prefer it if every minister immediately resigned after every difficulty or snag?

What is honourable about resigning and walking away from a difficulty that she may or may not have contributed to? Did you like the David Cameron style of government. Walking away it's the Tory and the Rangers way and whatever it is, it is not honourable.

14 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

You could start us off by telling us in what way the Holyrood govt is not fit for purpose in regard to the delayed opening of the sick kids.

When Freeman says she is going to accept full responsibility don't you think that means she is going to be responsible for resolving the issues?

Would you prefer it if every minister immediately resigned after every difficulty or snag?

What is honourable about resigning and walking away from a difficulty that she may or may not have contributed to? Did you like the David Cameron style of government. Walking away it's the Tory and the Rangers way and whatever it is, it is not honourable.

The Government is responsible for the spending of public money. 

On 05/07/2019 at 13:38, Chester™ said:

The current plan was 2017. The very original plan was to be open in Autumn 2012 (I had a placement at CAMHS just 18 months before and they were getting ready for it then), after being given the green light in 2005 (under the Labour administration, both at National and Local level), and much of the issues appear to be with the contract signed under PFI deals.

Just in case anyone missed it...

It was a big boy that did it and ran away. Oh look a squirrel. 

Whoever wrote the Specification for the areas where the problems lie has a lot to answer for that would be the Mechanical Engineer(s).  Possibly the Architect too however they would engage an engineer to design the systems. Add the Edinburgh Council who granted the warrants prior to building they too will be worried!

Edited by Dannie Boy

As for the financing of the project, surely there must be a better way of funding these projects and the management of them and the financial set up. Are we employing the right caliber decision makers?

Carthage Geoff Tramhater

I don't know who's to blame for this but they should be named any shamed .

Then round them up so we can chuck rotten food at them.

jambos are go!
1 hour ago, Chester™ said:

Just in case anyone missed it...

So the blame lies with those who proposed that it would be a good idea to replace the ageing sick kids with a brand new hospital . REALLY

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

What the **** has happened here?

This is what I would like to know.

been here before
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

This is what I would like to know.

This from a man who left a fatal flaw unnoticed in the construction of the Death Star.

Bit rich.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, been here before said:

This from a man who left a fatal flaw unnoticed in the construction of the Death Star.

Bit rich.

:sadrobbo:

8 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

So the blame lies with those who proposed that it would be a good idea to replace the ageing sick kids with a brand new hospital . REALLY

You're a hoot. :lol:

7 hours ago, jambos are go! said:

If a classic whatabootery is required can I just add that at least it isnt the London Crossrail project which will be a pound or 2 over budget & a couple of hours late being opened which Scotland will no doubt contribute to heavily and (IMO), the shambles of that project should lie squarly at the door of Nicola Sturgeon!!!

(Am I doing this right). 

6 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Whatever politics you support @Pans Jambo that new Sick Kids is shaping up to be a disaster. The new Glasgow hospital has big problems. That hospital in Ayrshire didn't have functioning CCTV for 3 years. Young people were committing suicide in the young offenders place. That mental health place in Dundee was disastrous. And there are many, many more things.

Scotland has it's own Parliament, yet all these issues are happening in places that are devolved policy.  

So whats the answer? Labour? Tories? Lib-Dems? UKIP?  Or hold to account who’s responsible & get them to actually address these issues. IMO, Changing the colour of the controlling party will do absolutely nothing.

In fact, given the utter shit show of every department down south & Brexit, I would say it would be even worse!

wasnt that long ago Labour PFI tied us into Billions of debt over many years & had new schools falling apart! Just look at the Edinburgh trams & the lack of new social housing that got built!

There may be issues with prison overcrowding & a new build hospital project but like Brexit, do we fix it whilst we have an influence or do we try & fix it when we are outside looking through the window? Because any London based party will look after their head office before they look after their branch office I can guarantee you that!

Edited by Pans Jambo

42 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

So whats the answer? Labour? Tories? Lib-Dems? UKIP?  Or hold to account who’s responsible & get them to actually address these issues. IMO, Changing the colour of the controlling party will do absolutely nothing.

In fact, given the utter shit show of every department down south & Brexit, I would say it would be even worse!

wasnt that long ago Labour PFI tied us into Billions of debt over many years & had new schools falling apart! Just look at the Edinburgh trams & the lack of new social housing that got built!

There may be issues with prison overcrowding & a new build hospital project but like Brexit, do we fix it whilst we have an influence or do we try & fix it when we are outside looking through the window? Because any London based party will look after their head office before they look after their branch office I can guarantee you that!

You are all over the place.

The SNP were the government that approved and let the trams cluster**** go unchecked.

They have made an absolute disaster of health, education and policing.  The Sick Kids fiasco is the latest shambles.  The core issue is that their attention has been spent campaigning for Independence instead of doing their day jobs.

It doesn't matter what they do you will always find excuses when there isn't any.

Maybe they could get Boris to give them some of the £2bn NHS money to cover these losses?