Lampard

Baldwigforjack

Could be a good appointment but early days in his managerial career. Had read that abramovich guarantees him at least 2 seasons

Big job for a comparative novice. Derby played some nice stuff. Hope it goes tits up at Chelsea though.

Chelsea not bothered about immediate results or titles then. 

Fair enough. They do have some good young players - Reece James, Tammy Abraham both did well in Championship which Frank should know about since he said he spends hours analysing other teams.

Brave move. 

Edited by Mikey1874

AlimOzturk

With the relative success of big name players in recent times like Zidane, Gaurdiola and simone I suppose it makes sense Lampard might do well  use to the case that big players were more likely to fail over younger, hungrier less successful managers. 

1 hour ago, Baldwigforjack said:

Appointed chelski manager.

Hopefully now he's left Derby the speculation on Gerrard ramps up (either that or Newcastle). 

Wouldn't have been my choice but in many respects it's the perfect time to take that gamble for both him and Chelsea.

23 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Hopefully now he's left Derby the speculation on Gerrard ramps up (either that or Newcastle). 

Derby are going for Philip Cocu ex PSV Eindhoven manager. 

BangkokHearts

Signing ban and novice manager.

I'd have the fear.

The one thing Chelsea under Abramovich have done consistently is sack managers who don't get success / trophies. 

But Abramovich is also a bit of a softy when it comes to valued (ex) players. So maybe it's a new project. 

And if he is selling to Jim Ratcliffe he can wash his hands of it. 

The Old Tolbooth

Chelsea fans absolutely slated Sarri, he delivered a European trophy for them and guaranteed them CL football next season, guaranteed Frank will not do anywhere near as well and excuses will be made, Chelsea fans are funny :lol: 

Mikey as has already been proven over and over your knowledge on football matters is random, at least read what Frank says and read a bit about the team and players before writing garbage ,may be a starting point.

My mate is derby fan and he’s not exactly gutted that he’s leaving. He signed a lot of young players on loan and he’s left them this season with the bare bones of a team.

I’ve nothing against Lampard but he seems to be good at one off results and just alright in the league. He didn’t improve derby any.

Cruyff Turn

Out of his depth and hasn’t earned it. Sentimental appointment which will lead to nothing.

Edited by Cruyff Turn

The Real Maroonblood
21 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Out of his depth and hasn’t earned it. Sentimental appointment which will lead to nothing.

Sounds familiar.?

3 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Big job for a comparative novice. Derby played some nice stuff. Hope it goes tits up at Chelsea though.

Yup.

I'm not a fan of clubs appointing fans' favourites as manager/head coach as is.

i feel they have appointed him so that if he fails the fans wont turn on him immediately and give the club a bit more leeway

NaturalOrder74

Think he’s went there far too early, they are in a shite situation right now and if they start getting hammered in the league and he gets sacked he won’t get a second chance to come back 

7 hours ago, Newton51 said:

Could be a good appointment but early days in his managerial career. Had read that abramovich guarantees him at least 2 seasons

Agree the connection gives him time the thing is cheksea have phenomenal young players 

could be a great appointment always liked him seems very level headed 

DalryJambo

Haven’t they just appointed a fans favourite to buy some time with the fans whilst they serve the transfer ban?

His Uncle 'Arry was interviewed on the telly.  Waxed lyrical as you'd expect and said he'd make full use of their academy and bring young players through.

Best of luck if he does that.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Good luck to him. Seems a good lad.

This.

12 hours ago, DalryJambo said:

Haven’t they just appointed a fans favourite to buy some time with the fans whilst they serve the transfer ban?

It is curious. I tend to think not. It is a club legend. But surely more to it.

Maybe Abramovich is just doing things differently. Even a last hurrah before selling? What he did at Derby was okay. Certainly a Play Off final. Though looking closer there were as many minuses than pluses. He did get them into Play Offs and then the final by some bold team selections and tactics. 

Abramovich probably backs himself and knowing Lampard well thinks he is a bold, talented. young manager. Maybe he does that in his other businesses with success. A bit like Ann Budge did with the Ian Cathro appointment. 

Perfect appointment for Chelsea. The 'lack of experience' thing is a whole lot of p*sh as well... Plenty of examples of managers with massive experience failing miserably.

All you want from a manager is evident passion and desire to succeed, and seeing that translating to your players more times than not in a season. He's got all of that.

And the big thing about his appointment that has went relatively played down is Jody Morris. Actually surprised he's not been offered a managers position somewhere himself.

Tynecastle Valhalla

Good luck to him 

seems an alright guy unlike many of his England team mates of that generation 

colinmaroon
1 hour ago, wallace_mercer said:

Good luck to him 

seems an alright guy unlike many of his England team mates of that generation 

Always preferred him to Gerrard, particularly as a person.  Lacks Gerrard's whiney attitude.

• 1 month later...
On 04/07/2019 at 13:29, Newton51 said:

Lots of interviews (including Football Focus today) and analysis in advance of first game.

He's an interesting guy. Be interesting to see his first team tomorrow. 

Lampard's first team. He has put in a couple of youngsters. Mason Mount was with him at Derby and Tammy Abraham got Aston Villa promoted with his goals.

I think he will do well. As a player he was always the metronome who carried the team and lazier players had to up their game when they were in the same team as him. I think he'll have a similar approach as manager. I think the Chelsea fans will give him time as they know he cannot sign players. 

He's shown a bit of faith in those that did well on pre-season. Will be really interesting to see how they get on today; think they'll struggle if I'm honest.

• 6 months later...