Anthony McDonald

NB GIN

What’s people’s thoughts on him I think he has tremendous potential and hope to see him get a few chances this year 

Bazzas right boot

I like him. 

Quick speed of thought, good first touch, good composure on the ball. 

Like to guys like him become effective tho, neat and tidy won't cut it. 

rudi must stay

Very impressed. Hope he gets plenty of chances. Clever player. His decision making on the ball impressed me for someone so young.

Levein knows what he's doing though if we loan him out

Byyy The Light
28 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

I like him. 

Quick speed of thought, good first touch, good composure on the ball. 

Like to guys like him become effective tho, neat and tidy won't cut it. 

Same. Needs to want to attack and take responsibility. Beating your man and laying it off to someone else won’t cut it.

Not a criticism of him. More an observation of young players in general these days. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Byyy The Light said:

Same. Needs to want to attack and take responsibility. Beating your man and laying it off to someone else won’t cut it.

Not a criticism of him. More an observation of young players in general these days. 

Yip. 

Need a final product, effective, actually do something. 

Nice touch, flick here or there, playing an easy pass is all good but hopefully that develops into an effective player that makes his mark on a game in some way. 

I think it will. ?

For me, he"s yet another very exciting prospect.  I'm not naive and know they won't all hit the mark but they pretty much did for Fergie with Beckham, Scholes etc.

Exciting to find out very exciting to see where we land by Xmas.

Seems popular with the ICT fans on their forum. Couldn’t find a specific thread dedicated to him, but all the comments were positive.

letsalldothebeattie

I liked him when he first broke through looks a good wee player. I hope we give him a proper run this coming season

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Looked good in flashes at Arbroath. Benefit from playing with better players. Flair player, not one for a dig it out scenario 

Mid Calder Jambo

I love seeing young players from any team getting an opportunity but THEY and pnly they have to sieze the chance when they get it.  Be brash be bold be a pain in the ass to your opponent and dont just think about fancy hair and tattoos.  Get fired in as hard as you can and make a name for yourself.  Thats what I want to see.

The challenge is like a lot of them. Getting him a run in the first team to build up confidence. Mulraney changed through the Season from looking afraid to take a man on, to pretty confident and became a much more valuable player. It’s quite hard to muscle your way into a starting line-up when we have bigger name signings. 

As said above. You do have to be a bit selfish and go for it. Hope he does. 

The fact we have kept our signings down this year means there are less new players to give a run to, hopefully letting some of the young ones in. They need to seize the chance. 

Finlay James

I really hope he seizes his opportunity as if he develops and continues to show the promise he has so far, he could be a match winner.

Hes very highly rated at the club and by others in the game.  I think he may go out on loan again for the 1st half of the season to see how he has progressed and come back, hopefully to take his chance.

Harry Potter
8 hours ago, Inch Hearts said:

A year on loan will do him the world of good.  Hearing Robbie wants him. 

Could help with their penalties right enough.

When he broke into the team - he then changed his attitude which Levein didn't like hence why didn't get as much game time, eventually being farmed out on loan.  So i guess comes down to how his attitude now is and if Levein seen improvement on that.  

Really like what I've seen and that wee loan in the Champ wi Robbo will have done him the world of good you'd think.

Duno if it's just his size but he reminds me of Shaun Maloney a bit.

Really hope CL leans on the kids a bit this year. All our second choice options more or less to be our own type thing.

A_A wehatethehibs

A rumoured loan to Dundee United looks a great option for him. They look like being an exciting team to play for . 

Levein and the coaches will call it right, if we feel he will be a starter here, we will keep him. I believe we’ll stick with Morrison, Cochrane & Keena as the youngsters in the Hearts group, and send McDonald to DUFC. Morrison has a bit of momentum, has had that proper run in the team and knows the demands and required work rate. I can see him possibly playing a lot of games for Hearts in future years, he’s a hard worker, he wasn’t far off last season, not quite good enough but not far off.

McDonald has the natural ability to be the much better player. If it were any other team in Scotland I’d be saying keep him at Hearts, but I think Dundee United is a great opportunity to build that extra yard playing in an attacking team getting in amongst the goals. I think they will score a lot of goals this year.

Naisysback
3 hours ago, PB21 said:

When he broke into the team - he then changed his attitude which Levein didn't like hence why didn't get as much game time, eventually being farmed out on loan.  So i guess comes down to how his attitude now is and if Levein seen improvement on that.  

Where are you getting that from. The people I speak to say he is a great kid and CL would have punted him to youths if he had attitude, but he never, he stayed with 1st team till he went on loan. 

Played a few games then got an attitude on him. The reason he was suddenly dropped. Went on loan to prove himself (no coincidence to Robbo's team)

I believe he has improved on that front recently 

BRAVEHEART1874

good player - looks left footed but played on the right,  well in this clip and the celtic 4-0  game anyways ;) 

40 minutes ago, Naisysback said:

Where are you getting that from. The people I speak to say he is a great kid and CL would have punted him to youths if he had attitude, but he never, he stayed with 1st team till he went on loan. 

Daza also backs me up on this below.

I guess there's attitude and there's attitude, right?  Going out on the skite and acting the big man in toon, versus being a bit of a billy big baws around training before you've earnt your swagger.

I'm guessing if there was an "attitude" issue with McDonald, it's closer to the latter.  He was 16 when he broke through, so all perfectly normal and part of the curve.

allanwilson1970
1 hour ago, Naisysback said:

Naisy as I said on another thread I have been told many times when I ask about McDonald & Cochrane at games, that the main reason McDonald is not in the first team and developing is due to him having a terrible attitude. I really hope that is not the case as McDonald can be the best number 10 we have seen in Scotland for a long time. He has something different from any player I have seen at U16, U18 or reserves in the last years. I hope he can reach the level we all want him to but it seems to be common knowledge on Kickback that his attitude is a problem and holding him back. Maybe you should goto some games outside first team and ask around.  You’ll hear plenty and some of it is not great.  

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I’d have hoped he’d be closer to our team by now but United would be a great option - initial 6 month loan maybe?

Fort Vallance
41 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I’d have hoped he’d be closer to our team by now but United would be a great option - initial 6 month loan maybe?

Shankland signing for them might have scuppered that move. Unless they move one or two of their strikers on.

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Really like what I've seen and that wee loan in the Champ wi Robbo will have done him the world of good you'd think.

Duno if it's just his size but he reminds me of Shaun Maloney a bit.

Really hope CL leans on the kids a bit this year. All our second choice options more or less to be our own type thing.

Fair comparison to Shaun Maliney, the way he runs and moves reminds me of him to. 

Good touch, composure, go past a player. Quick thought process. 

Maloney had and end product as well, tho. So here's hoping. 

pattythejambo
1 hour ago, allanwilson1970 said:

Naisy as I said on another thread I have been told many times when I ask about McDonald & Cochrane at games, that the main reason McDonald is not in the first team and developing is due to him having a terrible attitude. I really hope that is not the case as McDonald can be the best number 10 we have seen in Scotland for a long time. He has something different from any player I have seen at U16, U18 or reserves in the last years. I hope he can reach the level we all want him to but it seems to be common knowledge on Kickback that his attitude is a problem and holding him back. Maybe you should goto some games outside first team and ask around.  You’ll hear plenty and some of it is not great.  

Its only common knowledge on hear because every time you get a chance you are spreading it, if you are not spouting about Tony it’s about how Harry has not progressed, I definitely think you are have a grudge against certain boys while trying to promote others , any chance your son is in the academy or was  ?.

Edited by pattythejambo

allanwilson1970
12 minutes ago, pattythejambo said:

Its only common knowledge on hear because every time you get a chance you are spreading it, if you are not spouting about Tony it’s about how Harry has not progressed, I definitely think you are have a grudge against certain boys while trying to promote others , any chance your son is in the academy or was  ?.

I should be so lucky, no grudges and I am just stating facts on what I have been told and also how I see the games I watch. I am happy to meet you anytime to discuss. I have not stated anything specific that I have been told so your wrong about spouting. Am guessing your related to 1 of them since you seem to be very defensive. 

pattythejambo
7 minutes ago, allanwilson1970 said:

I should be so lucky, no grudges and I am just stating facts on what I have been told and also how I see the games I watch. I am happy to meet you anytime to discuss. I have not stated anything specific that I have been told so your wrong about spouting. Am guessing your related to 1 of them since you seem to be very defensive. 

Something you here from another parent at the side of a park is unlikely to be a fact it will be there opinion not a fact, what is a fact is you have slagged off most of the ones who got a chance whilst mentioning others who are miles off it.

Naisysback
9 minutes ago, allanwilson1970 said:

Once again you are spouting what parents of other players at the academy tell you. You ate not quoting anything from the coaching staff or players.

It only takes one person tocstart rubbish like this and then it seems to become truth.

Do you think Robbo would have taken him if he had attitude. Levein has said the boys were relied on too much and last year is where they should be in terms of development.

There are no facts to anything, just hearsay from....no one knows, a parent with a grudge....

Amazing that I can speak to people and come back with the exact opposite of what you say.....maybe when the manager says the reason he isnt playing is down to attitude then I will believe it, till then maybe just give an opinion on the player and leave out the hearsay...oh and I am not related just passionate.

I've not seen an awful lot of him recently but when he first broke into the first team, i thought he looked better than Harry Cochrane. 

Out of the two when they first came in the team, McDonald & Morrison, McDonald looked the better player. Few tricks and moves, few decent crosses and likes to take people on. Morrison on the other hand has a bit of pace but can't cross or beat many players, more often than not, has to cut back inside or pass backwards. I'd say McDonald was more the natural winger and thought he and Milinkovic would've been vying for the right wing position last season. Mikinkovic left and McDonald was barely heard of. I don't know about his attitude but I'd hate to think he'll be another player from our ranks that won't cut it. Up to him though. For me, Morrison could be one that's worth putting out on a season long loan for game-time.

Hope we see some more 1st team minutes for him this year as he looks like a tremendous prospect. Hope to see all our home grown talent get time this season tbh as we have some great young players coming through

Thought he looked bright and up for it at Arbroath at the weekend, didn't really get much opportunity though, nobody did. Another I was quite impressed with was was Leon Watson, never heard of him before Saturday but looked to be a keen attacking left back.

4 hours ago, dazajmbo said:

Played a few games then got an attitude on him. The reason he was suddenly dropped. Went on loan to prove himself (no coincidence to Robbo's team)

I believe he has improved on that front recently 

I've kind of got this theory on successful attacking players. They all, almost need this sort of attitude. I mean if you look at the guys to have came through at hibs - Riordan, O'Connor, Cummings, then theres Griffiths at Livi, Lafferty (Burnley?), they all seem to have a very confident attitude, like they should be in the team every week because they know they're good enough. 

I'm not saying its a black and white theory, that all good attacking players are arseholes, just that it seems like to succeed you need to have a lot of confidence, and sometimes that can blend with arrogance. 

Maybe it doesn't hold water, I don't know. It just feels like something which has plenty examples which can be pointed to (at the very top its ego's galore!). Regardless, McDonald needs to knuckle down and prove to Levein he deserves to be in the team. Else wise, he could very quickly find himself joining players like Janczyk in the scrapheap of unfulfilled potential.

fabienleclerq
6 minutes ago, OTT said:

I've kind of got this theory on successful attacking players. They all, almost need this sort of attitude. I mean if you look at the guys to have came through at hibs - Riordan, O'Connor, Cummings, then theres Griffiths at Livi, Lafferty (Burnley?), they all seem to have a very confident attitude, like they should be in the team every week because they know they're good enough. 

I'm not saying its a black and white theory, that all good attacking players are arseholes, just that it seems like to succeed you need to have a lot of confidence, and sometimes that can blend with arrogance. 

Maybe it doesn't hold water, I don't know. It just feels like something which has plenty examples which can be pointed to (at the very top its ego's galore!). Regardless, McDonald needs to knuckle down and prove to Levein he deserves to be in the team. Else wise, he could very quickly find himself joining players like Janczyk in the scrapheap of unfulfilled potential.

I'm with you on that, I want good/effective footballers and if that means we have a few arseholes at the club I'll take it.