Clare moving to the middle?

Watt-Zeefuik

Played his best game in a maroon jersey in the middle of the park. Just in front of the back 4. Was it Partick in the replay?

Cruyff Turn
1 minute ago, Maroonjam said:

That works for me ? except add cochrane/Irving to the subs. 

??

Clare is too soft for a central role plus you cant afford a central midfielder to go posted missing in games and Clare goes missing a lot 

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

His best game for us was at centre mid. It was the replay against Partick wasn’t it? Not sure we would have went through that night if it wasn’t for Clare.

Beat me to it. 

2 hours ago, SUTOL said:

Going by some of the reports Clare played in the middle last night and was very good. 

Id say no one played that well yesterday to be honest. Probably pretty hard to put a performance on agains shelbourne though. Clare did get more involved than he has been in any game I’ve seen him play though. He also looked pretty confident which I think is a key for him as a player. He was always wanting and looking for the ball. 

2 hours ago, SUTOL said:

Going by some of the reports Clare played in the middle last night and was very good. 

Id say no one played that well yesterday to be honest. Probably pretty hard to put a performance on agains shelbourne though. Clare did get more involved than he has been in any game I’ve seen him play though. He also looked pretty confident which I think is a key for him as a player. He was always wanting and looking for the ball. 

Captain Bubblebeard
2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Shouldn’t be playing anywhere else, never a winger

This

I can see him being a more influential player this season,   assuming we can keep the likes of Haring,  Naismith and Walker in the team for sustained spells.    Good players bringing out the best of each other.     Clare may also benefit from being told he's being trusted to take on the responsibility of filling Djoum's boots and to be an example for the likes of Cochrane and Irving.

Big season for Clare.   I think he'll develop into a better player.

Not that against it although would still prefer to get in a CM if either djoum or lee goes incase it doesn’t work out too well. 

I was wondering if Naismith would keep him out the team but hopefully if he can play CM this means they can play together. 

Toxteth O'Grady
29 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Clare is too soft for a central role plus you cant afford a central midfielder to go posted missing in games and Clare goes missing a lot 

Yes he will get bullied out of games against any aggressive player. He couldn't tackle a fish supper.

He seems like a luxury player to me.

jamboinglasgow

One great strength he has is dribbling, he is good at dribbling through the middle, something we normally lack as it goes to the wings. 

He has had to play at wing too often and its not where he plays best. Though that was down to injuries and unbalanced squad. So hopefully this season its different. He has got used to the game up here, had a full pre-season which he didn't get last season and the pressure is off him a bit with some of the other players who have come in. I think he will do much better this season and be a real asset for us.

£10k a week gamble Must work out so if Levein thinks he can perform better through the middle then so be it.

Sierra Delta

Was he not signed as an attacking centre midfielder? Always felt he was kind of being shoe-horned into being a winger due to us having nobody else to play there at times. 

Makes sense to me and I think he'll be very, very useful there. 

4 hours ago, Ugly American said:

I saw this in a live feed on the Record (I know, I know, it just came up in a Google search when I was looking for news on Naismith) and there's this offhand comment from Levein about signings:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/transfer-news-live-rangers-celtic-17326349

Setting aside the Naismith and Djoum news for now -- Clare centrally? I'm trying to imagine how this would work.

“Would give him something to think about” we are crying out for a proper midfielder 

Not sure about Clare does he has the right attitude I don’t think he has too lazy 

CloustonHMFC

Bobby

Souttar     Berra      Halkett

Smith      Haring       Clare      Mulraney

Naismith  

Uche    Washington

If we play a 3-5-2, we will set up like this, I think.

Bobby

Smith    Souttar   Halkett  White

Haring

Walker          Naismith      Mulraney

Uche    Washington

If we play four at the back it will look something like this.

There is absolutelz no way Halkett and Washington came to sit on the bench and we won´t leave out Uche. Walker and Clare will be interchangble depending on formation or both playing if Naismith is unavailable.

Edited by DarioHMFC

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, kimosavi said:

I think you are missing the point there. Exactly why we want to play him there to get him on the ball more 

45 minutes ago, JamboSpur said:

£10k a week gamble Must work out so if Levein thinks he can perform better through the middle then so be it.

Can't believe anyone would think we are paying Clare 10k a week, I'd be surprised if it was even half of that. 

The Future's Maroon
6 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Really want to accommodate Clare, I strongly believe he will be quite special for us.

I don’t think I have ever agreed with your posts before, but I agree 100% here.

(no offence intended)

Edited by The Future's Maroon

BelgeJambo
3 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Clare to centre mid is where he was always going to go to once fully fit and a regular in the team.  My concern is that after our first game of the season against one of the uglies that he will be out for six weeks injured.  

Either of these nasties, Jack or Brown will target him because Gerrard or Lennon will see him as a lightweight and a weak link.  Hope Clare proves me wrong though because I really like him and he can do well if he finds the confidence levels he needs in that role.

Agree mate

Needs to keep his work rate up every week also

To many games he went missing last season

Hopefully the pre season has strengthened his stamina

HotelMikeFoxtrotCharlie

Clare has a chicken heart, he isn;t good enough. Could maybe get away with a squad role but never a starting 11 mainstay.

Edited by HotelMikeFoxtrotCharlie

Alex Kintner
3 hours ago, JamboSpur said:

£10k a week

giphy.gif

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Ugly American said:

I saw this in a live feed on the Record (I know, I know, it just came up in a Google search when I was looking for news on Naismith) and there's this offhand comment from Levein about signings:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/transfer-news-live-rangers-celtic-17326349

Setting aside the Naismith and Djoum news for now -- Clare centrally? I'm trying to imagine how this would work.

Me too, he's right footed not central footed. 

CL oot. 

9 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

I think you are missing the point there. Exactly why we want to play him there to get him on the ball more 

No i get the point i just can't see it working

I'd love Clare to prove me wrong 

10 hours ago, JamboSpur said:

:troll:

11 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

That would do for me but with Naismith just behind the front two, who I would give licence to swap sides from left to right attacker depending on how the game progresses.

I agree, Naismith sitting just behind the front two

10 hours ago, communist said:

Can't believe anyone would think we are paying Clare 10k a week, I'd be surprised if it was even half of that. 

That particular poster is best left ignored bud.

Phil Dunphy
12 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Yes he will get bullied out of games against any aggressive player. He couldn't tackle a fish supper.

He seems like a luxury player to me.

Utter shite. 

Plenty of times Clare went into a tackle to win the ball back. 

****ing astonishing how people will just make stuff up to suit their views. 

Nookie Bear

This is a horrendous plan on the face of it.

When it is said that he being moved into the middle, does it perhaps mean as a centre forward?

26 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Utter shite. 

Plenty of times Clare went into a tackle to win the ball back. 

****ing astonishing how people will just make stuff up to suit their views. 

Agree he has won the ball back many times but for me his work rate over the 90 isn’t good enough 

Countless times he loses his man in and around the box 

Has a lot to do for me the potential is undoubtedly there but has to work much much harder all game 

Do think he could come good though 

We should be paying Clare more than 10k per week, he's classy and will flourish next season.

Mark my words. He's going to be worth millions to us. 

Alex Kintner
17 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

This is a horrendous plan on the face of it.

When it is said that he being moved into the middle, does it perhaps mean as a centre forward?

Why is it horrendous? 

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Why is it horrendous? 

Because he seemed lost at times, played in fits and bursts and appears to lack the aggression and intelligence to play in the middle of the pitch.

Can you see him taking a game by the scruff of its neck?

Alex Kintner
26 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Because he seemed lost at times, played in fits and bursts and appears to lack the aggression and intelligence to play in the middle of the pitch.

Can you see him taking a game by the scruff of its neck?

I saw him do it playing in the middle against Partick so I definitely think he can.

I also understand that Levein has far more football knowledge than me and was instrumental in helping turn a certain other lightweight wide midfielder who played in fits and bursts into a club legend who played in the middle with intelligence and aggression. 

Nookie Bear
7 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

I saw him do it playing in the middle against Partick so I definitely think he can.

I also understand that Levein has far more football knowledge than me and was instrumental in helping turn a certain other lightweight wide midfielder who played in fits and bursts into a club legend who played in the middle with intelligence and aggression. 

Well let's see what happens over the first few weeks of the season :thumbsup:

OmiyaHearts

I like the idea of Clare being more central. I think we'll be a more creative team if we start home matches with Walker, Clare, Naismith and Mulraney, Haring behind them and either Ikpeazu or preferably a potential goal-threat in Washington up front.

Ernie Eskilsson
19 hours ago, Ugly American said:

I can't see that working, he doesn't have the courage or work rate to play for us. I wouldn't even have him in the squad.

Alex Kintner
12 minutes ago, Ernie Eskilsson said:

I can't see that working, he doesn't have the courage or work rate to play for us. I wouldn't even have him in the squad.

get.gif

Far too many, some of my pals included, have judged this lad too early IMO.  He arrived last year off the back of an injury and not having done a pre-season, and was then used in different positions due to an injury plagued season.

He's pretty clearly got the talent, Hearts just need to get him fit AND confident and I think we'll see a very different player over this season.  If he doesn't, then some of these comments will be justified, next summer.

Looking forward to seeing him kick on this season. Talented player and in the right position, has the ability to be a key player for us. 

Some of the comments on here tho ?

4 hours ago, iantjambo said:

That particular poster is best left ignored bud.

?☹️

A_A wehatethehibs

I got stick weeks ago for suggesting in the Djoum thread that him leaving could be the making of Clare.

Shift Clare to a deeper play making position where Djoums been occupying - he can pass the ball well, he’s quick, the ball sticks to his foot and his head is always up. He has all the attributes to be a good central midfielder if he is given the responsibility. I think he was played further forward last season partially through necessity with the injuries. 

king.Robbo

Levein has given himself lots of different options attacking wise that we didn’t have last year...

so for me it’s 

Bobby

smith / Souttar / berra / white

haring / New Mid or Harry

Claire

Naismith / Uche / Washington 

if claire doesn’t perform then Walker plays there or Naismith etc...

we have given ourselves options now if players don’t perform or get injured...?