Clare moving to the middle?

Watt-Zeefuik

Watt-Zeefuik

I saw this in a live feed on the Record (I know, I know, it just came up in a Google search when I was looking for news on Naismith) and there's this offhand comment from Levein about signings:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/transfer-news-live-rangers-celtic-17326349

But Levein concedes he will need to weigh up his options if out-of-contract Djoum – starring in the Africa Cup of Nations with Cameroon – does not pen a deal and out-of-favour Lee secures another club. Asked whether the departure of the duo would send him searching for reinforcements he said:

Yes, that’s a possibility. If both of those players were to leave it would give me something to think about.

Peter (Haring) is not playing right now, he has been left at home and would ordinarily be an automatic starter. I want to use Sean Clare more centrally so it depends on a few factors.

I just need to see what happens between now and the window closing.

Setting aside the Naismith and Djoum news for now -- Clare centrally? I'm trying to imagine how this would work.

Really want to accommodate Clare, I strongly believe he will be quite special for us.

There's actually a bit of chat about this topic on the "How Many Quality players are required". Page 2. 

I'm open to it. He's played there before but I don't know how we accommodate him.  Walker will play centrally as will Naismith probably

If Levein wants him to be a central midfielder I actually think it will reduce his game time. We have stronger players in there.

Edited by Cwapsy

Alex Kintner

Best place for him, especially if Levein sees him as a Cameron-type player. He is a ball carrier and we need that in the middle, especially with his acceleration.

Just now, i8hibsh said:

Really want to accommodate Clare, I strongly believe he will be quite special for us.

Who are you and what have you done with i8?

On topic, Clare is quite clearly not a winger. He’s definitely a central player be it midfield or just behind the striker. 

15 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

I saw this in a live feed on the Record (I know, I know, it just came up in a Google search when I was looking for news on Naismith) and there's this offhand comment from Levein about signings:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/transfer-news-live-rangers-celtic-17326349

Setting aside the Naismith and Djoum news for now -- Clare centrally? I'm trying to imagine how this would work.

What is it about him moving in to a more central role that you find hard to imagine? Genuine question.

11 minutes ago, Dayman said:

Who are you and what have you done with i8?

?

13 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

You been on the happy pills i8?

Watt-Zeefuik
21 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

What is it about him moving in to a more central role that you find hard to imagine? Genuine question.

How we'd accommodate him in the squad with Walker and Naismith, I guess. Is he replacing Djoum in the sort of hold/ing/creative midfielder role, or is he a top-of-the-box midfielder playing just behind the strikers? 

Or is Walker going to move back to the wing where Robbie played him, maybe in front of Smith but cutting inside to make room for Smith to roll up the pitch to make crosses?

Going by some of the reports Clare played in the middle last night and was very good. 

9 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

How we'd accommodate him in the squad with Walker and Naismith, I guess. Is he replacing Djoum in the sort of hold/ing/creative midfielder role, or is he a top-of-the-box midfielder playing just behind the strikers? 

Or is Walker going to move back to the wing where Robbie played him, maybe in front of Smith but cutting inside to make room for Smith to roll up the pitch to make crosses?

My guess is on the right or centre of a three man midfield, in a 4-3-3.

Edited by Icon of Symmetry
Typo

For me, our best midfield is

Walker   Clare    Haring   Mulraney

Put Naismith and the big man infront of that and Halkett, Souttar, Berra and Smith behind it then oooft

strength, grit power, pace and goals

:clumshot:

Edited by i8hibsh

1 minute ago, Famous 1874 said:

I’d play him in the centre defo 

Is he still at Rangers? 

Uncle Buck

His best game for us was at centre mid. It was the replay against Partick wasn’t it? Not sure we would have went through that night if it wasn’t for Clare.

Makes sense. Hopefully this season we see players played consistently in their best positions, enough depth to make that happen if injuries happen again with youngsters a year older etc.

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, Ugly American said:

I think its where he could have most effect if AM. He will need to man up in that part of pitch though if so. Some horrible we scott browns and the like patrolling those areas. 

pettigrewsstylist
27 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

Think it has to be the top of box latter tbh.

Suspect thats where JW will play most but with versatility in mind we now have another option also.

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

rudi must stay

Maybe suggests a new winger is on the way. And our ##### tactic of one winger and one who doesn't even cross is gone

12 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Maybe suggests a new winger is on the way. And our ##### tactic of one winger and one who doesn't even cross is gone

I quite like wide players who cut in rather than always look to cross. It’s nice to have one of each who can play on either side in your team. 

Inch Hearts

Should be his best position.  I’ve still high hopes for the laddie, there was touches of it last season. 

Inch Hearts
19 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Walker on the right probably. 

3-4-3 this season?  (predicting Souttar will be away)

Bobby

Smith     Berra      Halkett

Walker      Haring       Clare      Mulraney

Naismith     Uche    Washington

50 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

His best game for us was at centre mid. It was the replay against Partick wasn’t it? Not sure we would have went through that night if it wasn’t for Clare.

I agree about best game for Clare. As the weather got increasingly poor his ability shone through. (No pun intended!).

I think that replay showed the ability in the team. The weather was appalling and there were a few players who showed how comfortable they are on the ball.

The Internet
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

:wow:

I agree 100%. And his best position is clearly centre mid. 

He's wasted out wide. Could be like a brand new signing if it works.

Bobby
Smith, (2 of) Berra/Halkett/Souttar, Hicky/White

Haring, Clare/Walker, Smith/Irving/Cochrane 

Naismith Uche/Washington Mulraney

Could be tasty

rudi must stay
18 minutes ago, Hercules said:

He needs to toughen up. 

Needs to tough up and look for the ball more in my opinion. He should always want it being an attacking player. Still, I'm sure he'll do fine next season 

Alex Kintner
44 minutes ago, kila said:

Bobby

Nah ?

Cruyff Turn

Bobby

Smith Souttar Berra Hickey

Clare   Haring

Walker.      Naisy.     Mulraney 

Washington

Subs: Doyle, Halkett, White, Bozanic, Edwards, Wighton, Uche

f%#king bangin’ team

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, kila said:

Bobby

I think Levein loves a 3-4-3 but it only works in certain circumstances. But if we keep Souttar I think he'll play in the back three with Smith as a wingback rather than a fullback. Otherwise you lose his crosses.

59 minutes ago, Hercules said:

He needs to toughen up. 

Not just that. Don’t think he’s active enough. He should be looking for breaks of the ball in the area he’s played in but it’s like he’s not got the persistence in his mentality. 

Almost as if he feels it’s pointless unless the ball is directly towards him. 

Hopefully, like Mulraney, some work is being done on his mental side away from the pitch and it enables him to deal with the rigours of week to week SPL football. In turn , it makes him want to really affect the game with purpose every week. 

2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I have the same feeling, so maybe playing in the middle will get the best out of him, although he needs to tackle a bit harder.

39 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Needs to tough up and look for the ball more in my opinion. He should always want it being an attacking player. Still, I'm sure he'll do fine next season 

Yep. A move into the middle right under the nose of Sargent Major Naismith who will keep an eye and sort him out is not such a bad thing.

CostaJambo
1 hour ago, kila said:

Bobby

That would do for me but with Naismith just behind the front two, who I would give licence to swap sides from left to right attacker depending on how the game progresses.

Bridge of Djoum
2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

For me, our best midfield is

Walker   Clare    Haring   Mulraney

Put Naismith and the big man infront of that and Halkett, Souttar, Berra and Smith behind it then oooft

strength, grit power, pace and goals

:clumshot:

Mods, I’d like to report a hacked account. 

Think the boy has all the tools to be a good player, good touch, runs well with the ball, turn of pace and a cracking finisher. His passing range was very impressive against Partick in centre mid and he was always trying to link up and show for the ball. The real question mark over him is his mind imo, if he can drill it into himself to chase lost causes and commit to challenges there's no turning back for the lad. I don't generally gush over players but there's something about him that's just really exciting 

Edited by BigAlim

11 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Not just that. Don’t think he’s active enough. He should be looking for breaks of the ball in the area he’s played in but it’s like he’s not got the persistence in his mentality. 

Almost as if he feels it’s pointless unless the ball is directly towards him. 

Hopefully, like Mulraney, some work is being done on his mental side away from the pitch and it enables him to deal with the rigours of week to week SPL football. In turn , it makes him want to really affect the game with purpose every week. 

Honestly, mate. Everything you put in that first paragraph is my assessment of Walker for the majority of his last season or so with us.

Captain Canada

Great to read this. He was shoved on the wing out of necessity and it's not his best position. 

Hopefully Djoum doesn't come back and Clare can get a run in the middle. 

Edited by Captain Canada

3 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Honestly, mate. Everything you put in that first paragraph is my assessment of Walker for the majority of his last season or so with us.

True.  It’ll be interesting to see who wins the battle for a spot in that area. 

joondalupjambo

Clare to centre mid is where he was always going to go to once fully fit and a regular in the team.  My concern is that after our first game of the season against one of the uglies that he will be out for six weeks injured.  

Either of these nasties, Jack or Brown will target him because Gerrard or Lennon will see him as a lightweight and a weak link.  Hope Clare proves me wrong though because I really like him and he can do well if he finds the confidence levels he needs in that role.

If only Djoum would re-sign, then Haring could sign “Clare’s to the left of me, Walkers on the right, stuck in the middle with Djoum”.

Sorry. ??

37 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Bobby

Smith Souttar Berra Hickey

Clare   Haring

Walker.      Naisy.     Mulraney 

Washington

Subs: Doyle, Halkett, White, Bozanic, Edwards, Wighton, Uche

f%#king bangin’ team

That works for me ? except add cochrane/Irving to the subs.